• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

Skux

38o048X.png

Platform: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows PC
Release date: 10 October, 2017 worldwide
Developer: Monotlith Productions
Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Genre: Action role-playing
Modes: Single-player, multiplayer
Price: US$60

Shadow of War continues the narrative from Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, following Talion who is still infused with the spirit of the elf lord Celebrimbor. Talion has forged a new Ring of Power, which Celebrimbor believes could be controlled to avoid becoming a Dark Lord and instead become a powerful king. Talion, while less interested in power, believes Celebrimbor's cause is just and agrees to help in facing the newly returned Sauron and his growing armies, including the Nazgûl.

● review thread
● PC performance thread
● official site
● trophy/achievement list

eRz7kI3.png

Download size: 63GB (console or standard PC download), 97GB (PC download size with high-resolution assets)
Day one patch size: (unknown)
Resolution: 1080p on PS4, 1080p on XB1 (dynamic down to 972p)
Frame rate: Target locked 30fps on consoles
PS4 Pro enchancements: Digital Foundry breakdown

DdzFrhX.png

5s7ZMD9.png

That's right folks, Shadow of War features lootboxes! These can be considered either the devil incarnate and scourge of modern AAA gaming, or a harmless addition for those would would rather spend a bit of cash than do a bit of grinding.

No content is locked behind microtransactions and everything can be obtained and experienced by playing the game.

Where the game has come under fire is its endgame/postgame, the Shadow Wars, where players will find themselves against much tougher enemies which would require additional levelling and a stronger army to challenge, which can be sidestepped by spending real money. There is also additional narrative content at the end of the Shadow Wars, which has led to accusations of cash-grabbing and artificial difficulty. Other players and reviewers have stated that the microtransactions are not intrusive at all and they never felt compelled to spend money during the game. I'm not going to convince anyone here on whether they're good or bad, so please do your own research if you're planning to purchase the game.

PC Gamer: How the loot boxes work in Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Kotaku: What You Need to Know About Shadow of War's Controversial Loot Boxes

NeoGAF thread mentioning how an apparent "true ending" is locked behind endgame grind which is accessed more easily by spending money on loot boxes

ktz3v7K.png

Minimum requirements
CPU: AMD FX-4350, 4.2 GHz / Intel Core i5-2300, 2.80 GHz
RAM: 6GB
GPU: AMD HD 7870, 2 GB / NVIDIA GTX 660, 2 GB
DirectX: Version 11
Hard drive space: 70GB

Recommended specs
CPU: AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz / Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz
RAM: 12GB
GPU: AMD RX 480, 4 GB or RX580, 4GB / NVIDIA GTX 970 4, GB or GTX1060, 6GB

6fc8BKu.png

c5eM0rS.png

GovvEXU.png

Nice, finally a real OT.

Anyway, PC download is actually the same as consoles.

The difference is that there are a couple of optional downloads for ultra textures and 4k cinematics.

Jaraghan

I read up that the mts aren't even bad in this game, so I just bought it and downloading right now. Won't have time until tomorrow after work, but I really enjoyed the first one. Oddly enough, the only gameplay I have seen of this was the initial trailer. I'm glad I am going in pretty dark.

I read up that the mts aren't even bad in this game, so I just bought it and downloading right now. Won't have time until tomorrow after work, but I really enjoyed the first one. Oddly enough, the only gameplay I have seen of this was the initial trailer. I'm glad I am going in pretty dark.

Best way to go into a game is completely ignorant imo. Haven't done that since I was a kid.

Andodalf

Banned
So, anyone got an unable to connect to hydra error? I’m worried it might be he dorm WiFi. Some games work and some don’t. The game is fully playable offline, but it’s be nice to use the online fortress assaults.

Skux

are my eyes deceiving me...there are two OT?

Yes, I had reserved the OT on the OT thread but was a bit late in posting it - I just got back from work to put it up now. Sorry for the confusion.

I still need to add some small sections about the characters and game features.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yes, I had reserved the OT on the OT thread but was a bit late in posting it - I just got back from work to put it up now. Sorry for the confusion.

Not your fault OP. The other thread is obviously a troll thread and didn't really require that much effort compared to yours.

I'm not all that far in yet, but I'm already feeling the benefits of the new Nemesis system and difficulty settings. I find myself using a lot more hit-and-run tactics, rather than just stumbling into a group of Orcs and killing everybody until they stop showing up. Much larger variety of Captains too, even just a few hours in, which is nice.

I also already have my own personal nemesis! Early on I was getting my sea legs back under me and got killed by an Archer. This fucker goes on this longass rant about how he's "gonna be called the Tark Slayer!" Well, he gets promoted to Captain, and lo and behold, that's his damn name. So I make it a priority to go after this clown as soon as I respawn, and, issues with his gang of Caradors aside, I manage to put him down after a lengthy chase. He gives this gloating proclamation about how even if I kill him, he got me first, and that's NEVER going away!

Naturally, he comes back. I'm dealing with another Captain I don't particularly want to get a level up, and this dude shows up with his head wrapped in iron bands. Back from the dead! He gives me some incomprehensible gibberish about Tark-Slaying, and then I light him on fire and cut him in half. In the prompt before the QTE he accuses me of just wanting to be called the "Tark Slayer... Slayer." I figure that's the last of him.

NOPE. Dude shows up, AGAIN. Declares his intention to kill me in revenge. This time, after I beat him down, the speech he gives is just fucking defeatist. "I follow orders! I loot, plunder, burn, and what does it get me? This shit!" I'm laughing hard enough to fuck up the QTE and he headbutts me and vanishes.

I don't think I can kill him at this point. I gotta try and keep him alive until I can Brand him.

Skux

I'm not all that far in yet, but I'm already feeling the benefits of the new Nemesis system and difficulty settings. I find myself using a lot more hit-and-run tactics, rather than just stumbling into a group of Orcs and killing everybody until they stop showing up. Much larger variety of Captains too, even just a few hours in, which is nice.

I also already have my own personal nemesis! Early on I was getting my sea legs back under me and got killed by an Archer. This fucker goes on this longass rant about how he's "gonna be called the Tark Slayer!" Well, he gets promoted to Captain, and lo and behold, that's his damn name. So I make it a priority to go after this clown as soon as I respawn, and, issues with his gang of Caradors aside, I manage to put him down after a lengthy chase. He gives this gloating proclamation about how even if I kill him, he got me first, and that's NEVER going away!

Naturally, he comes back. I'm dealing with another Captain I don't particularly want to get a level up, and this dude shows up with his head wrapped in iron bands. Back from the dead! He gives me some incomprehensible gibberish about Tark-Slaying, and then I light him on fire and cut him in half. In the prompt before the QTE he accuses me of just wanting to be called the "Tark Slayer... Slayer." I figure that's the last of him.

NOPE. Dude shows up, AGAIN. Declares his intention to kill me in revenge. This time, after I beat him down, the speech he gives is just fucking defeatist. "I follow orders! I loot, plunder, burn, and what does it get me? This shit!" I'm laughing hard enough to fuck up the QTE and he headbutts me and vanishes.

I don't think I can kill him at this point. I gotta try and keep him alive until I can Brand him.

This is the fun sort of stuff I loved from the first game. The emergence, the personal stories, and the fact that you have to run away from combat sometimes.

J_Viper

Old title was better. Solid OP though

Man, Talion is such a bland character. Really wish Celebrimbor would have attached himself to someone with any shred of a personality.

oti

Banned
Old title was better. Solid OP though

Man, Talion is such a bland character. Really wish Celebrimbor would have attached himself to someone with any shred of a personality.

Yeah. I couldn't care less about him in Mordor. Wish he was replaced by a character editor for Wardor. He's completely irrelevant to the game anyway.

Top Bottom