• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

jb1234

I mean if you are going to complain it's too easy and mindless while playing on a easy setting while spamming healing items that's completely on you and no 8 doesn't adress that. The boss fights in ys games are pretty much the series shining star.

Like Ernst in 6 on nightmare is a freaking struggle but if you use healing items you can literally just mash attack and heal when needed.

To be fair, the series doesn't exactly make it easy to guess how difficult a setting will actually be. Felghana is a challenge for most people on Normal but that same setting is a complete joke with Celceta.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
I'm going to second this collector's edition being high quality. It's very nice.

The cloth is really cool and I like the acrylic print bookends a lot.

ZMEA8hs.jpg

That is SO cool.

vall03

Still waiting for PSN to unlock. By then, I need to go to sleep so its going to be another day of waiting before I get to play. Weekend can't come soon enough!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To be fair, the series doesn't exactly make it easy to guess how difficult a setting will actually be. Felghana is a challenge for most people on Normal but that same setting is a complete joke with Celceta.
Just put it on nightmare/inferno and call it a day :p

Usobuko

Banned

I usually have it as the 3D party-oriented Ys is about one difficulty tier easier than the 2.5D ones.

SephLuis

Tell me about it. One of my biggest ass kicking was starting Oath on hard because normal was easy on Ys I + II.

Either way, Ys 8 should give him quite a challenge on hard upwards.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Tell me about it. One of my biggest ass kicking was starting Oath on hard because normal was easy on Ys I + II.

Either way, Ys 8 should give him quite a challenge on hard upwards.

I grew numb to how hard nightmare can be because I didn't know about that first fire gem in the mines before the second boss. That.... was a long ass fight :D :D Felt so good to go back a year later when I knew better and slaughter it at light speed on inferno xD

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Given your skill, the odds seem to be in your favor. ;) My constitution isn't quite that high, alas.

It's not really skills it's more of a learning through time and mistakes thing kinda like raiding in mmo's but with out having to rely on others xD I enjoy the Souls games and Nioh for the same reasons.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Actually thinking about having to reset if I get clipped by something on the world map back to a crystal sounds hilariously frustrating xD

preta

I posted this in the Steam thread, but I realized it would be good to post it here.

OK, I finally finished Ys Celceta. I was pretty meh on the game, but everyone is raving about Ys VIII. So, if these were my primary issues with Celceta, are they addressed in VIII?

- mindless hack and slash with little reward
The enemies were very easy to cut down. There were a lot of special abilities to unlock, but there really wasn't much strategy to using them other than mashing buttons and making chaos. And no loot drops, which are generally the benefit of this kind of gameplay, but I hear that's not in VIII either.

- little exploration
The map was pretty boring. I uncovered near 98% of the map just going to the obvious places. I think I found one hidden area. I hear there is jumping in VIII? Is it used to make getting around the world more interesting?

- normal was too easy
I know I could just bump up to hard, but that's not really my thing. You start on hard and things are fine, and then later on you wind up hitting a brick wall. But normal in this game was really easy except for a few bosses, and those could be dealt with by spamming potions.

-It depends on the enemy. Most regular enemies in Ys aren't usually that hard, but the ones in VIII are definitely more varied in design and required strategy than in Celceta.

-Jumping dramatically improves exploration, dungeon design and combat. There aren't too many optional areas, but there are definitely several. VIII's areas are far more interesting and varied than Celceta's, and are certainly more fun to explore overall.

-If you're worried about the game being too easy and yet you won't try a harder difficulty, I don't know what to tell you. In both Celceta and VIII, you can change difficulty mid-game. In Celceta, you can only decrease it, and in VIII, you can both increase and decrease it, although changing it mid-game may prevent you from getting some trophies, and you can't change to or from Inferno difficulty.

Blue-kun

A typo, during my writing. Lol will fix.

You might want to add some annotations whenever you say "Ys Seven: Lacrimosa of Dana" on the video, as well, haha. Between Y's and this, it sure made me chuckle a couple times. Cool unbox though, really digging the look of the CE.

You might want to add some annotations whenever you say "Ys Seven: Lacrimosa of Dana" on the video, as well, haha. Between Y's and this, it sure made me chuckle a couple times. Cool unbox though, really digging the look of the CE.

Yeah damnit. I blame 7 just releasing on pc. Ugh. What a newb lol

Teggy

-If you're worried about the game being too easy and yet you won't try a harder difficulty, I don't know what to tell you. In both Celceta and VIII, you can change difficulty mid-game. In Celceta, you can only decrease it, and in VIII, you can both increase and decrease it, although changing it mid-game may prevent you from getting some trophies, and you can't change to or from Inferno difficulty.

Eh, it's just one of my gaming quirks. Once I drop down a difficulty I feel defeated and I'll often just check out of a game.

Sounds like there's not a big enough difference here that I'll enjoy the game. That's fine, not every game is for every person.

preta

Eh, it's just one of my gaming quirks. Once I drop down a difficulty I feel defeated and I'll often just check out of a game.

Sounds like there's not a big enough difference here that I'll enjoy the game. That's fine, not every game is for every person.

It really, truly is an enormous upgrade from Celceta in almost every way, so hopefully you'll reconsider it if you liked the idea of Celceta.

Sadly annotations are no longer a YT thing, but put it in the description! HA. I was trying to do to much this afternoon and yep that happened!

They mention Altago at the beginning. So I pulled out all the games, cloth maps and such.

I really thought it was 1->8, with each game being pretty much after the other. Is that not correct anymore? It's been a while since I have played 7, and I have never played 5 (but only because falcom can't get me a copy to play here in the USA).

I had thought that the timeline was 0, 1->2, 4, 3, (5), 6->7, is this one supposed to take place in between 6 and 7? Or is it after 7 and I'm just in a sleep deprived haze?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They mention Altago at the beginning. So I pulled out all the games, cloth maps and such.

I really thought it was 1->8, with each game being pretty much after the other. Is that not correct anymore? It's been a while since I have played 7, and I have never played 5 (but only because falcom can't get me a copy to play here in the USA).

I had thought that the timeline was 0, 1->2, 4, 3, (5), 6->7, is this one supposed to take place in between 6 and 7? Or is it after 7 and I'm just in a sleep deprived haze?

It's before 6. One day we will get a game that takes place after seven :p

Plan is to do an Inferno no healing items.

I really can't get behind using healing items in Ys.

preta

VIII takes place right after the events of V, which is why Adol has a particular sword in VIII's intro.

Special note on that - its name is an unfortunate casualty of the localization. I'm not sure if it was a misromanization or a typo, but it's called Isis Blade in English, while it should be Isios Blade. (Greek for "straight".)

Blue-kun

Honestly, once I beat Ys VIII I wasn't really thinking much about Ys V remake. And believe me, I was in the Ys V remake camp before. But the game just does and hints so much stuff that right now I'm dying for IX in a certain location... hopefully. :)

Seven came right after Origin, so, if the pattern holds, getting IX before a remake of V makes sense.

Special note on that - its name is an unfortunate casualty of the localization. I'm not sure if it was a misromanization or a typo, but it's called Isis Blade in English, while it should be Isios Blade. (Greek for "straight".)
Well, Xandria and Kefin are basically in the same region where you'd find Egypt on our map. So it's a mistranslation, but a funny one when I think about Isis the goddess.

I'm going to second this collector's edition being high quality. It's very nice.

The cloth is really cool and I like the acrylic print bookends a lot.

ZMEA8hs.jpg

Screw that, why is there a neogaf-ish page open in the background that doesn't have the dark theme?

Ot: what the hell....just found out about the delay. Ps4 digital it is. I have 0 patience.

SephLuis

Honestly, once I beat Ys VIII I wasn't really thinking much about Ys V remake. And believe me, I was in the Ys V remake camp before. But the game just does and hints so much stuff that right now I'm dying for IX in a certain location... hopefully. :)

What I find it odd is that from a few conversations, it seems Adol hasn't been to Afroca yet. Which is the place that Ys V is supposed to take place if I am not mistaken.

When they mentioned that he didn't visited Altago that I realized the game was before 7 and there were some mentions of Afroca too that were quite similar. I wonder if Falcom is planning on recreating Ys V in a very different form and leave Afroca for later or if I am completely wrong here.

Thoraxes

Hrm, shitty, I just got a notice from Best Buy that my order was delayed (PS4) with no ETA given.

As an addition to this, I forgot I placed a Vita pre-order for this in Feb. and forgot to cancel it >.>

Just got a shipping notification from Best Buy for that, so I assume people getting that version should be fine?

Going to be a bit before I start this, but I got my Vita LE today. Really high quality considering the price, my only real complaint is the steelbook was a bit lazy and doesn't have a cartridge slot, making it a bit redundant for the Vita version.

AniHawk

As an addition to this, I forgot I placed a Vita pre-order for this in Feb. and forgot to cancel it >.>

Just got a shipping notification from Best Buy for that, so I assume people getting that version should be fine?

the universe is awarding you sean's copy of ys viii.

preta

Seven came right after Origin, so, if the pattern holds, getting IX before a remake of V makes sense.

Considering they've actually started to tease a remake of V, whereas they haven't even mentioned a word about the next brand-new game, I think we'll see the V remake first. I'm guessing in 2019, with a Tokyo Xanadu sequel being Falcom's big 2018 game.

Jolkien

Wonder if I should dive in straight on nightmare, I don't think there is an inferno trophy ? I'll probably get destroyed plenty of time but I made it in Origins.

Top Bottom