• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft have announced Xbox One X as a new generation?

Daffy Duck

So, thinking about it, should Microsoft have come out and said Xbox One X is a new generation? Would it have generated a lot of hype and caught the competition totally flat footed?

I mean, it is really isn't it? It's a massive step up from Xbox One, did they not announce it as such so not to annoy anybody? Or was it because of the whole "no exclusive games" so it's not a new generation train of thought?

Neff

It's some of the most bizarre shit I've ever seen in 30 years of this industry honestly. I can't figure it out.

Fisty

So, thinking about it, should Microsoft have come out and said Xbox One X is a new generation? Would it have generated a lot of hype and caught the competition totally flat footed?

I mean, it is really isn't it? It's a massive step up from Xbox One, did they not announce it as such so not to annoy anybody? Or was it because of the whole "no exclusive games" so it's not a new generation train of thought?

If they delayed it a year and put a new CPU in there, yeah I would say they could have done that.

As it is, nah.

KORNdoggy

they would have needed a new CPU for that to happen. the console, as it is, is just a buffed up xbone. the same way the pro is a buffed up PS4.

Type40

It's a basic iteration, other than 4K supersampling and HD textures, theres no real gameplay difference for games on a Xbone S.

No.

If they had managed to get a better cpu in there (or a second one if that's possible) then yeah.

But no point in burning all the Xbox One owners already out there. Seems like a great system but making it feel like a mandatory upgrade wouldn't have been the way to go.

Lorul2

I was thinking the same thing. A new kind of generation where backwards compatible and forwards compatible was a thing.

Justinh

Wouldn't that counter their whole "Beyond Generations" thing they're pushing out there now?

No, IMO. I think that it's in the same "Xbox One family" might possibly convince more people to upgrade since they already know it's fully compatible with all previous Xbox One games and BC enabled 360 games day one.

Neifirst

Or was it because of the whole "no exclusive games" so it's not a new generation train of thought?

You pretty much answered your own question. Xbox One X will be the home for the best console version of multi platform titles, and nothing more (which is fine, of course).

Betty

Banned
But what defines it as not being a new generation?

I mean it's quite a leap from what we have now isn't it?

No, it isn't, you're just getting current gen games with prettier graphics and higher resolution.

Now if there were games that could ONLY be played on Xbox One X, then sure, maybe it would be better to make it a new generation.

But even if it was a full next gen console, which it isn't, it's far too early in this generation to move on yet.

Sure we're closer to the end of this gen than we are to the beginning, but we have a few more years to enjoy these consoles yet.

So it's just the games that define a new generation?

Yes.

DieH@rd

Banned
No. Hardware is too weak for big jump (CPU is the same, only few gigs if ram added, GPU is tasked to raise resolution), and quick arrival of nextgen would be a slap in the face of old xbone users.

Boke1879

No because it's not.

??

But what defines it as not being a new generation?

I mean it's quite a leap from what we have now isn't it?

The fact that MS has mandated that all One X software has to fun on regular Ones and One S' systems, which is going to handcuff how much of a leap we are going to see.

Zerin

Don't think it really matters, they're going to release one of these every 4-5 years. All about the ecosystem now.

Breakage

I still think they should have subsisted on the One S while developing a true PS5 challenger. That way they'd have been able to to get the jump on Sony by being first out the gate. The One X is really for dedicated Xbox fan.

katsais

Well, I consider it a new generation. I mean the XBO was consistently a 900p/1080p machine, whereas the XOX can do native 4K with no issues (if I got it correctly). That quite a leap, a leap long and high enough to be considered a new generation. Hell, this is why I wanna get one, the XBO was an underwhelming paperweight for me.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No. The hardware specs aren't up to par for the next generation cycle of consoles(Nintendo excluded of course).

JeffGrubb

Well, I consider it a new generation. I mean the XBO was consistently a 900p/1080p machine, whereas the XOX can do native 4K with no issues (if I got it correctly). That quite a leap, a leap long and high enough to be considered a new generation. Hell, this is why I wanna get one, the XBO was an underwhelming paperweight for me.

Only the most optimized games will run at native 4K.

Madness

No because one of the goals is seamleas playing of current Xbox One gamea and discs. That modified Jaguar CPU also a bottleneck.

Mediking

I still think they should have subsisted on the One S while developing a true PS5 challenger. That way they'd have been able to to get the jump on Sony by being first out the gate. The One X is really for dedicated Xbox fan.

Wrap it up.

We're done.

I think they should of. Scrapped the current stuff and call this a box that is fully backwards compatible yet is brand new. This way we could get some Xbox exclusives that take advantage of the new hardware versus stuff that's only being done in regards to resolution.

So it's just the games that define a new generation?
What is? it’s somewhat of an abstract concept.
Compatibility, games and branding, mostly. There are not and will not be any Xbox One X exclusive titles, the UI and software will always be lock and step with the original Xbox One hardware and it can only play things that the Xbox One can. At least that’s the way I see it, your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom