• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 died and I can't believe I'm already telling this story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you hear the fan? Mine would usually RLoD in like 1-2 minutes though, just on the XMB.

Nope no fan. Just got most of the way through the update process and it died on me again. I guess I'm either going to get on the phone with Sony or send it back to Amazon.

So I just had this exact problem, used the cable that Sony provided on a different HDMI port and boom, good to go. Gonna try a few combinations to see if I can narrow down what the exact issue was and will report back.
Thanks for doing this. I know this wasn't the OP's issue, but maybe inner-G can keep the OP updated with solutions that work for certain problems.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
its not user error, its faulty. Theres a piece of metal obstructing the cable

hdmi_port.jpg

I really think it's just the camera angle here.

okay ill just take it to this thread then.

PULSATING BLUE LIGHT OF DEATH. PBLOD. P BLOOD. coining the phrase now.

finally got off the phone with Sony.
4-5 weeks till I get my new one back.

way to treat an industry vet. ugh.

#oop

anyway I made a thread for troubleshooting the HDMI issue.

inner-G

Banned
Feel bad for OP, and even if his case is amongst a minority, this is still worrying. The attractiveness of a Wii U is steadily increasing for me this holiday season. Hope Sony irons out these kinks (and fires them interns) quickly.
I bought a Wii U and it stopped reading discs. (Bought it used, so had no warranty.)

I think the universe just hates me, lol.

fallagin

I'm pretty glad i decided to stay the fuck away from launch. Hopefully this kind of stuff is addressed in a couple months.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I really think it's just the camera angle here.

[/b]

#oop

anyway I made a thread for troubleshooting the HDMI issue.

Didn't one of the sites, Kotaku I think say the PS4 had exactly this issue, and this was the diagnosed issue? A small piece of metal stocking up obstructing the connection, and also breaking teeth out of the HDMI cable connector?

RMI

Banned
I'm not a statistician but if we extrapolate the ~1/10 users on GAF experiencing PS4 failures then can we assume about a 10% failure/busted rated for all shipments? Is that normal for console launches?

thank god for that.

1/10 of GAF users are not experiencing PS4 failures, so we cannot assume a 10% failure/busted rate for all shipments.

N.Domixis

Banned
Getting close to reaching critical mass. The worry for Sony, I would think, is that with a influx of failed systems that a tipping point will be reached, primarily in social media. Which will then enter the bloodstream of the main stream, permanently damaging the perception of the PS4 just days before Xbox One is launched.

Fucking bullshit.If 1 million have been sold .4% is 4000 broken ps4s. 996000 are still working.

Vark

okay ill just take it to this thread then.

PULSATING BLUE LIGHT OF DEATH. PBLOD. P BLOOD. coining the phrase now.

finally got off the phone with Sony.
4-5 weeks till I get my new one back.

way to treat an industry vet. ugh.

edit:

Also, it's a hardware problem. If you can't get it to boot into safe mode (hold down power for 10 sec and wait till you get the double beeps), it has nothing to do with the HDMI port. it's an internal issue they are aware of and request you send it back to them to be fixed.

If your console light turns white, it's likely a cable or connection issue. if it stays blue and pulsates, try safe mode. if it wont boot to safe mode, gotta send it in.

Me too! *High Five*

Only I've been on hold with Customer Support for over an hour.

Ovid

I noticed that I'm having issues with the HDMI connector. I'm able to play right now but I know this is going to be an issue in the future. Might have to pony up some money for an extended warrenty.

nbraun80

Sorry to hear OP.

Also where I agree with many in this thread that defects will happen this early with mass production, I fear the same logic won't carry over to next week when I'm sure some One's will be defective.

AsylumX

Other than the HDMI port issues, which I've 99% sure is user error, all the failures seem to be caused by different things. Which is totally expected for a mass produced electronic device where most of it's components were sourced from the cheapest possible supplier. Some fans will fail, capacitors will burn out, hard drives will die, but as long as there isn't some design flaw that effects 100% of the consoles, that's all within expectations.

You know it's easier and cheaper to solve design flaws than fixing issues caused by faulty supplies.

flippedb

Banned
Fucking bullshit.If 1 million have been sold .4% is 4000 broken ps4s. 996000 are still working.

I'm pretty sure Yoshi was pulling that number off his ass as well. Besides, that .04% referred to the pre-release consoles. I'm guessing the percentage must be larger now.

Yeah and the people with working Ps4's are busy playing them. The people with ones that end up being faulty will of course be heard since they are not out playin their new system.

Def. sucks when you get a faulty unit of anything. I remember replacing my new 360 within a week and ended up replacing more then 7 times before getting tired of it,

Sorry to hear about the system OP!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
PR talk, I think.

They can't be monitoring all of them, mine broke before I ever even logged in.

They don't calculate the percentage of failure rates by "monitoring" units online. They are looking at customer support calls and returns.

its not user error, its faulty. Theres a piece of metal obstructing the cable

hdmi_port.jpg

THIS PICTURE IS BULLSHIT!

That piece of metal is supposed to be there. You can see the plastic cutout for it. You can't see it in the top photo because of the angle. It is flush against the back, your HDMI doesn't touch it any more than the back of the HDMI port. Every single PS4 is like that. I have access to two PS4s, both look like this (my brothers works, mine doesn't).

As far as I know, Kotaku are the only ones to have this supposed metal problem, and even they didn't really see it, Sony told them that's what it was.

Robot Pants

I'll make it my goal to make sure I'm too busy to post that my PS4 is working if it does. Should help with deez percentileZ

Alienous

Yeah and the people with working Ps4's are busy playing them. The people with ones that end up being faulty will of course be heard since they are not out playin their new system.

Def. sucks when you get a faulty unit of anything. I remember replacing my new 360 within a week and ended up replacing more then 7 times before getting tired of it,

Sorry to hear about the system OP!

We should really do a GAF poll to try and get a better understanding of this.

"Do you have a PS4, and is it still working" or something to that affect.

thank god for that.

1/10 of GAF users are not experiencing PS4 failures, so we cannot assume a 10% failure/busted rate for all shipments.

And even if we were, how many GAF users even have PS4s? 1,000? 2,000? Out of 2,000,000? Sorry, that's 0.1%. Look up the term "confidence interval". 0.1% of a population is not even close to enough to build a reasonable confidence interval.

inner-G

Banned
They don't calculate the percentage of failure rates by "monitoring" units online. They are looking at customer support calls and returns.
Ah. I thought that was just a public statement that they butt-pulled based off of the 4000 taco bell units.

Now that they're monitoring support, it's much more convincing >_>

fred

This happens with mass production. It sucks but it happens.

Doesn't seem to happen with Nintendo systems. Faulty Nintendo systems are very few and far between. I would never be confident getting a Sony or Microsoft on launch day unfortunately.

RMI

Banned
We should really do a GAF poll to try and get a better understand of this.

"Do you have a PS4, and is it still working" or something to that affect.

this is kind of an awesome idea, even if it probably wouldn't be super accurate.

I bought a Wii U and it stopped reading discs. (Bought it used, so had no warranty.)

I think the universe just hates me, lol.

Yeah everything has its problems, I hope you get it sorted quickly mate. Be thankful you haven't had my rash of luck automotive wise, three times I've had to take my car to the shop in a month and it still has problems. I think someone cursed my car lol. At least your issues are warranty protected this time!

ElRenoRaven

Yup I'm a member of the club. No signal at all. I've started the return process with Amazon. UPS will pick it up in a couple business days and then I guess I wait and hopefully get a refund. I seriously at this point don't even know if I'm going to replace it. I went through multiple 360's last gen and replaced my ps3 once due to disc drive breakdown. I'm just so sick and tired of companies turning out products that don't work.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ah. I thought that was just a public statement that they butt-pulled based off of the 4000 taco bell units.

Now that they're monitoring support, it's much more convincing >_>

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't know if the 0.4% number is accurate, I am just saying they would not calculate failure numbers based on monitoring customers online.

The armchair statisticians in this thread make me feel sad for the future of humanity. My dad always taught me, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Epcott

Will Sony automatically send you a replacement for free if your console is defective, or do you first need to buy their replacement plan?

flippedb

Banned
THIS PICTURE IS BULLSHIT!

That piece of metal is supposed to be there. You can see the plastic cutout for it. You can't see it in the top photo because of the angle. It is flush against the back, your HDMI doesn't touch it any more than the back of the HDMI port. Every single PS4 is like that. I have access to two PS4s, both look like this (my brothers works, mine doesn't).

As far as I know, Kotaku are the only ones to have this supposed metal problem, and even they didn't really see it, Sony told them that's what it was.

I really don't think that piece of metal should be there. None of the HDMI cables I own have a dent to allocate that piece. My PS3 doesn't have that piece of metal either, same with the two BD players I have access to, and my receiver, and laptops.

That's a faulty HDMI port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom