• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

So I can hop on at any time and play MLG Midship FFA all day?
There's usually at least one MLG FFA room up, usually just set to unlimited kills and something ridiculous like an hour time limit.

The big, well-populated servers like Monstrmoose have some of the worst gametype settings I've ever seen (hour long Coag games, sword secondaries, tanks on fast respawn, just complete garbage). Trying to get a normal matchmaking setting room going is pretty much futile in my experience if you don't start with something wacky or FFA and pray that the room fills up.

The thing is there are always people online playin in the smgclan and monstermoose dedicated servers and quite a few of them are regulars and are pretty good.

If their not playig the gametype/map that I want, i find that if I start a lobby with a Small-mid scale map (like midship) it usually takes less than an a half hour to get a consistent full good lobby going where you just keep playin game to game.

Otherwise there are 24/7 lockout/district/coag servers that are allways full of players. And there are quite frequently partly filled MLG servers as well.

Finding a game is not a big problem, there are always players on and the lower population isn't a big deal with custom server browsers.

In fact, that is as good an argument as any for why they should implement this feature in all halo games. I would have no trouble finding halo 3 BTB games if that were the case.

Hmm my experience has been the opposite, but maybe it's changed since I bought the game a while back. Will take a look soon.

There's usually at least one MLG FFA room up, usually just set to unlimited kills and something ridiculous like an hour time limit.

The big, well-populated servers like Monstrmoose have some of the worst gametype settings I've ever seen (hour long Coag games, sword secondaries, tanks on fast respawn, just complete garbage). Trying to get a normal matchmaking setting room going is pretty much futile in my experience if you don't start with something wacky or FFA and pray that the room fills up.

Yeah, pretty much sums up my experience with H2V online a few months back

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

OMG that sounds like heaven.

Monstrmoose sounds the last thing I would want to do with my lift right behind eating my own shit.

Hey You

Seriously, why don't you guys go on amazon and buy Halo 2 vista?

It's $15. You guys spend more to get banned playing DLC.

It runs fine on any PC (or bootcamp mac!) that has vista or higher on lowish end systems and you can plug in your 360 controller (even a wireless one with the $15 adapter) and get the same controlls and aim assist, at 60+ fps and play customs with a game browser and dedicated servers. This is most of all the things you guys want!

This is not a rhetorical question, I actually want to know why.

Also, why do some of you instead play it over a convoluted and laggy XBC in SD without proper widescreen?

Still holding out in the XP camp and my computer can't upgrade to Windows 8.;

Computron

So I can hop on at any time and play MLG Midship FFA all day?

Midship is not exactly one of the lobbies that is filled or close to filled 24/7 like the lockout, district, coagulation and uplift servers.

But like I said, I have had really good luck when I start my own midship lobby and people will join quickly and play continually for hours on end. Same with foundation, ivory tower and turf maps. (any good medium-small map really)

IDK if there are dedis setup to play midship ALONE 24/7 like there are for the maps I listed above but that might be why it's not always readily available. When the server changes the map, sometimes people don't feel like staying. That's actually a good reason why matchmaking is a good idea, since it ensures that everyone gets to play all the maps (unless it's backwash on 360s lol).

But yea, Midship games shouldn't be a problem, since the population is filled with regulars and everyone looks through the server browsers to get in games. If they see you start on of those servers, they will fill up fast.

Overdoziz

Banned
This sort of thing (edit to add quote for large image):

Mongoose + rocket + grav lift + fusion coils on High Ground attacking the tower. Just a funny arse insane kill to pull off in matchmaking and totally worth the set up risk/reward.

In this OT of team downer and attempts to make Halo 4/Reach back to classic only I ask why does it all have to be like that? Answer is it doesn't and I think we can all agree playlists with Halo 4 should have a variety of settings and game experiences. I think at the least we can all agree this is more beneficial than having all classic or all Halo 4 only throughout the whole game.

It would be nice to get one point down to a single consensus vote for once.

Fuck 343i need to fix fileshare already.
I still don't understand why Bungie had such a hard on for fusion coils in Halo 3. They are literally on every launch map in the game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Midship is not exactly one of the lobbies that is filled or close to filled 24/7 like the lockout, district, coagulation and uplift servers.

But like I said, I have had really good luck when I start my own midship lobby and people will join quickly and play continually for hours on end. Same with foundation, terminal and turf maps. (any good medium-small map really)

IDK if there are dedis setup to play midship ALONE 24/7 like there are for the maps I listed above but that might be why it's not always readily available. When the server changes the map, sometimes people don't feel like staying. That's actually a good reason why matchmaking is a good idea, since it ensures that everyone gets to play all the maps (unless it's backwash on 360s lol).

But yea, Midship games shouldn't be a problem, since the population is filled with regulars and everyone looks through the server browsers to get in games. If they see you start on of those servers, they will fill up fast.

Cool beans. The Earth will know when I pick up my copy.

I still don't understand why Bungie had such a hard on for fusion coils in Halo 3. They are literally on every launch map in the game.

It let's them make a map how they want, and then Forge-in coils to fix slightly-broken camping spots.

Are you guys ever going to play this game again?

I try to play a few games a day when I have time. Tomorrow I'm going to do a co-op run through campaign with a friend who hasn't beaten the campaign yet. It'll also help me nail off that achievement, while also let me experience the campaign co-op which I've never done before. Should be fun. I'm going to shy away from competitive until some minor stuff is fixed/added (namely the only two playlists I give a shit about: Doubles and Big Team Objective. I still find it hilarious that they both aren't in the game), but not before I get to RG-10, SR-60 to fix that one other problem I have with the game.

Playlists in Halo 4 that I like:

Team Regicide
Team Oddball
Team Dominion
Crimson DLC (aside from a few gametype/map combos)

All the others I don't have fun playing (unless I'm with a bunch of friends/party), but that's not Halo 4's fault, I've never liked anything else in Halo, really other than dubs and btbo.

I heard something like any windows game code works for any game...I have two shadowrun codes that could be used for two of you to use H2Vista if thats true...think youd just have to get a copy from somewhere online maybe?

Just a possibility, I bought a couple Shadowrun copies when the game was going for cheaper than a 2 months costed (cause it came with a 2 month)

H4 population.

FyreWulff

One hour until the Crimson map pack hammer drops

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

Computron

I hate that the most popular servers are the monstermoose ones you described (Coag is the worst, especially with those settings. And District can be passable at best.)

But, like you said, there are allways MLG servers and lockout and other smaller map servers with players on them running decently.

I have had a lot of luck, especially recently, with starting up my own vanilla/competitive setting small-medium map servers and having them fill up pretty fast. Most my .GIFs of late have been from my own games. Usually i start up a server and send a couple invites to get the ball rolling and it snowballs the rest of the way on its own. I don't think a lot of the dedis offer consistent small map competitive settings (although smgclan's servers have started making a push for that more recently) nobody wants to join an empty server but once you got at least one or two players on a unique map (and not just another lockout server to split up the population again) people do see it and start to join. You only really have trouble keeping people when you start changing settings and maps or your servers is bad.

But anyway, we wil hopefully be able to play a good set of games on the H2v gameday.

Computron

I heard something like any windows game code works for any game...I have two shadowrun codes that could be used for two of you to use H2Vista if thats true...think youd just have to get a copy from somewhere online maybe?

Just a possibility, I bought a couple Shadowrun copies when the game was going for cheaper than a 2 months costed (cause it came with a 2 month)
That is true but it requires a hack to get the game to install with that key. (It's a .dll file that was supposedly from older version of the game that got patched out, but i dont know, doesn't seem right) Afterwards it works fine, with no problems whatsoever.

Also, this key quirk was fixed for GFWl games after (2010?) I think, which was shortly after most people found out. But it works for h2v, and some other older GFWl games.

But yeah, it's pretty shady, IMO.

pakkit

Banned
Welp, it finally happened. I took a 3 day break from Halo 4 and returned to find out that I'm shit. I'm now the king of assists and AA-assisted deaths. :(

That is true but it requires a hack to get the game to install with that key. (It's a .dll file that was supposedly from older version of the game that got patched out, but i dont know, doesn't seem right) Afterwards it works fine, with no problems whatsoever.

Also, this key quirk was fixed for GFWl games after (2010?) I think, which was shortly after most people found out. But it works for h2v, and some other older GFWl games.

But yeah, it's pretty shady, IMO.

Thats true but I figured I bought it so I should be able to give away my "copies" but yea I guess its a different game.

NM I'm stupid 1920x1080 stretched it out to fill.

Send ForwardUntoDong a FR so we can join up. Ill try and be on it a bunch more.

Also the first game started up nicely but after a bit there was cheaters lol grabbing flag and running super fast to their base with it, got a nice snipe on one of them tho which felt awesome.

Does anyone here who played the maps for free think they're worth keeping?

I don't think so. I'm not sure why they added more big maps when this game has a severe lack of smaller maps. I hope they change that with the next map packs and mix it up. But I do enjoy that canyon map, one of the better ones.

Striker

Does anyone here who played the maps for free think they're worth keeping?
I don't think the maps themselves are too bad. 343 just has shitty gametypes to blend in with these setups. Who wants 2 flag on Wreckage? It stinks for Oddball and KotH too. Nothing going on for it. Harvest is good for 2 flag, but Waypoint makes the Camo users sitting in the middle at glass just look where-ever the KILL marker is heading. Shatter is okay but enjoy playing Infinity Slayer in it since after the DLC playlist that's all you'll ever play. And awful Achievements in them, no less.

blamite

I'm really interested to see how strong of a negative effect the week trial of the Crimson maps will have on their sales.

I would assume they'll sell like, 30% less than they normally would have, but it'd be amazing to get actual numbers. No way those would ever be released though.

blamite

Just got kicked out of a game for a 30 MB Title Update.

We get to wait for patch notes again?

Hmm, hasn't hit me yet. New version number? (I'm betting it's just 1.02.01 or something)

This is probably just how they're removing free Crimson. And the whole week trial promotion is because they had to get the patch ready and through cert.

even when i had them free i barely played them. i don't think i'll be buying this pack unless my friends really want to play them (they don't care much for them either though)

i'll totally buy the next pack though if it's all 4v4 size maps. i just don't care much for btb.

even when i had them free i barely played them. i don't think i'll be buying this pack unless my friends really want to play them (they don't care much for them either though)

i'll totally buy the next pack though if it's all 4v4 size maps. i just don't care much for btb.

I'm curious to know if this fiasco will help their map sales or hurt them significantly.

zap

Arnie

Does it delete the maps off my harddrive, or just nuke their effectiveness?

Honestly I haven't used them outside of the first day because they're unarguably woeful.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm just waiting till LE owners also lose their maps, would just be another fuck up,nothing surprising.

I don't like the that much, but I see potential in Harvest for Objective games, Capture the Flag on this map is really really cool.

I'm just annoyed by camo boltshotters and around 4 ghosts on the map on the same time.

zap

I'm just waiting till LE owners also lose their maps, would just be another fuck up,nothing surprising.

I don't like the that much, but I see potential in Harvest for Objective games, Capture the Flag on this map is really really cool.

I'm just annoyed by camo boltshotters and around 4 ghosts on the map on the same time.

They have put so many ghosts on these maps :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom