• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

This seems like a good place to remind everyone that Resident Evil: Outbreak was a masterpiece ahead of it's time and, had it been released on the next generation of consoles, would have been a much bigger hit

I'm still waiting for my HD rereleases Capcom plz

This seems like a good place to remind everyone that Resident Evil: Outbreak was a masterpiece ahead of it's time and, had it been released on the next generation of consoles, would have been a much bigger hit

This wish they would re release them/ make a new one

Arklite

Systems talk: what's everyone's thought on RE3's dodging vs REMake's defensive items? Personally I'd kinda want to see a classic-style game incorporate something like the Onimusha series' Issen system (just-frame timing results in blocking/dodging/preventing an attack and causes severe damage to an enemy but is pretty tricky to pull off and requires leaving yourself open to that attack, heightening the risk factor), though it might interfere with a resource conservation focus if people could get too skilled at it and just counterattack their way through the whole game.

I thought RE3's dodging was very sketchy, I could never dial it in perfectly. I'm not sure I've seen it used much in speedruns either where I think they'd be extra useful. I like the idea but it needs tweaking, certainly REmake's defensive items were more dependable.

Not that I'm not a fan of dodging as it did add to the spectacle of RE3's Nemesis chases.

Zambatoh

Not with Paywall subscriptions it wouldn't. Unless it's released on PC.

Neff

for something that's probably less rational and more crazytown:

parasite eve 2 is one of the best old school resident evils that isn't REmake.
the pacing, the strong emphasis on body horror, the very unique and desolate environments, the branching story paths, the soundtrack, the mixed rpg/combat system having lots of unique and interesting options that lets you approach encounters in interesting ways, it's like the perfect half step between RE3 and RE4

get at me

It's alright. A technical tour de force for PSone, no doubt (that scrolling FMV is amazing), but it doesn't really feel like RE, and it doesn't feel much like a sequel to the first PE, either. Still, a nice enough game.

Dino Crisis 2 always felt like the missing link between classic and modern RE to me.

Seyavesh

Systems talk: what's everyone's thought on RE3's dodging vs REMake's defensive items? Personally I'd kinda want to see a classic-style game incorporate something like the Onimusha series' Issen system (just-frame timing results in blocking/dodging/preventing an attack and causes severe damage to an enemy but is pretty tricky to pull off and requires leaving yourself open to that attack, heightening the risk factor), though it might interfere with a resource conservation focus if people could get too skilled at it and just counterattack their way through the whole game.
i like emergency dodge more than defensive items because there's an active skill component to it rather than a resource management deal but they're not really incompatible either so you could technically have both in the game as long as defensive items were genuinely rare
however something like issen is built around combat-centric game design- you'd have to get everything to fit around it because of how it'd end up being a core action when older REs don't have that kinda focus in their encounter, enemy, resource management or pacing design
i can't say i'd really like that kinda thing for an oldschool style RE simply because it would mess with the resource management aspect while not really adding much to encounters besides acting as something that would railroad the player into doing it as often as possible for the sake of efficiency

i genuinely don't know how i feel about outbreak- it's such a weird thing. there's so many fantastic things about it but i always feel like the short level concept kinda works against it to a degree because you end up replaying them over and over without being able to build up that pacing that's somewhat integral to a great RE experience

i dunno, there's just something that bugs me about the levels being so short despite that also being a fantastic method for allowing wildly different scenarios (which is my favorite thing about outbreak- the sheer variety of scenarios)

kogasu

Like I said I'm just saying it should have a coat of horror. You don't have to ditch horror to make an action game. There's so many different directions horror can go in. Remove horror from RE and its not RE. And it doesn't have to be scary to be horror. I like the action gameplay a lot. I just want that horror vibe and that doesn't mean jump scares. Just nice, creepy art direction, no lame ass military zombies and stuff like that. You can be an action game in a horror shell. You can also have puzzles. Hell you CAN even have scares. With creativity the sky is the limit.

Revelations 2 is an action game but it didn't have to shed its heritage to do that. I like the action and gameplay but when I buy something called Resident Evil, well, ya know.

Yes!! That's how I've always felt about it. Those elements can co exist in a game and be done well! It's just that sometimes they are dead set on splitting them up completely.

joe2187

Banned
Dear Capcom

Please release a standalone RE6/RE5 Mercenaries game. Make it F2P or make it a single purchase I dont care. Just do it already. Have maps from all 6 games, even revelations and Code Veronica. Throw in all the characters, costumes. Weapons, have em be unlocks, drops whatever. Just give me Standalone Mercs game with all the combat mechanics from RE6.

Please stop making RE multiplayer games that arent Mercs, just stop it. listen to reason. give me what i want. Give me more RE6 Mercs.

Sincerely
Joe.

Jawmuncher

Like I said I'm just saying it should have a coat of horror. You don't have to ditch horror to make an action game. There's so many different directions horror can go in. Remove horror from RE and its not RE. And it doesn't have to be scary to be horror. I like the action gameplay a lot. I just want that horror vibe and that doesn't mean jump scares. Just nice, creepy art direction, no lame ass military zombies and stuff like that. You can be an action game in a horror shell. You can also have puzzles. Hell you CAN even have scares. With creativity the sky is the limit.

Revelations 2 is an action game but it didn't have to shed its heritage to do that. I like the action and gameplay but when I buy something called Resident Evil, well, ya know.

Rev 2 didn't shed its older heritage but I felt it dropped the series newer focus far too much. It's not an action game in the vein of 4-6, which it doesn't have to be. But I don't think it was a good balance still. Better than Rev 1, but still lacking. As for the whole horror thing, it's never left then. You fight monsters and other baddies so even in 6 it was still "horror" then.

Rev 2 didn't shed its older heritage but I felt it dropped the series newer focus far too much. It's not an action game in the vein of 4-6, which it doesn't have to be. But I don't think it was a good balance still. Better than Rev 1, but still lacking. As for the whole horror thing, it's never left then. You fight monsters and other baddies so even in 6 it was still "horror" then.

RE6 was far less a horror game but the good news is that I like 6 a lot so you won't find that you have to defend it to me. That being said I wish it had better atmosphere. Some parts had decent atmosphere but it was fleeting. I like 6 because of the gameplay, music, and bosses. Oh, those bosses. The Ustanak confrontation at the end of Jake's story was beyond fantastic, but I just wish you didn't have to be subjected to stuff like the China crap and yakuza zombies. Just dumb and out of place IMO.

Your thoughts on Revelations 2 are noted, but I thought it showed that you can marry these things and make it work with the right vision and execution. Revelations 2 while more limited in movesets still had very action oriented gameplay but it also had super creepy environments and atmosphere and it didn't forsake the action style.

Rean

Personally, I think they're both fine for the games they appear in. The defensive items in REmake just seem to be a free escape from taking damage if you get caught by surprised while the dodging in RE3 helps because of the increase in enemies in general and Nemesis fights. Both defensive items and dodging aren't always helpful though since you can't use defensive items if you get grabbed from behind and against certain enemies. It's also possible to get hit while dodging in RE3 and being near walls or corners increase the chance of that happening. That being said, getting good at the timing of dodging in RE3 makes enemy encounters and Nemesis fights way easier. Jill's increased movement speed and quick turn in 3 compared to the movement in REmake also factor in to that.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So I loved REV2, and I hope that we continue to see a "three pillars" model emerge for the franchise, as others have mentioned

Zombie hugging, explosions, (hopefully fewer) QTE's: mainline RE
Old-school resource management and path optimization: more REmakes
Slower-paced, lower budget (encourages risk-taking), hybrid: Revelations

Something for everyone, and a whole fuckton for people who enjoy them all.

I do hope we see some refinements in Raid Mode. I loved the skill and weapon flexibility in REV 2, but they couldn't figure out how to do difficulty at the higher levels. Everything just gets spongy as fuck... would have been more interesting to just make the enemies more deadly. Make up for ditching the "no damage" medallion by making almost everything OHKO anyway. I could really get into that.

Arklite

Dino Crisis 2 always felt like the missing link between classic and modern RE to me.

Definitely. Although, there were clues with other games as well, like CV with dual wielding, and later with revisions of RE4 itself becoming DMC, and obviously Dino Crisis 3 going almost full shooter. Back then some people seemed blindsided by what RE4 became, but it was a long time coming.

Grisby

Wanted to throw out one of my favorite vids with Wesker in it. Some, er, spoilers in it for Mass Effect 3 if you've never played it.

A DC Douglas farewell.
Yeah, its great. I'm still disappointed that they went with the RE5 Jill in Marvel 3, but there were so many things related to RE5 in there anyway like Chris, Wesker, and Tricell Laboratory that it would make S.T.A.R.S Jill seem out of place.
You're right. The RE5 designs were heavy in MvC3.

Neiteio

Motherfucking subbed.

Let's discuss the best Jills:

latest

attachment.php

And let's never discuss mutant Jill from Revelations:

tumblr_m6v80bZPd21roezlpo1_500.jpg
I think all three Jills are lovely, including Rev Jill!

Jawmuncher

RE6 was far less a horror game but the good news is that I like 6 a lot so you won't find that you have to defend it to me. That being said I wish it had better atmosphere. Some parts had decent atmosphere but it was fleeting. I like 6 because of the gameplay, music, and bosses. Oh, those bosses. The Ustanak confrontation at the end of Jake's story was beyond fantastic, but I just wish you didn't have to be subjected to stuff like the China crap and yakuza zombies. Just dumb and out of place IMO.

Your thoughts on Revelations 2 are noted, but I thought it showed that you can marry these things and make it work with the right vision and execution. Revelations 2 while more limited in movesets still had very action oriented gameplay but it also had super creepy environments and atmosphere and it didn't forsake the action style.

That's the thing gameplay wise I don't think it married the ideas all that well. I didn't get a tight action game like RE6 and I didn't get a scary game like older titles. Tried to be everything and didn't really excel at anything. I know A lot of people like it but there's seems to be more with my opinion on it as well. Maybe it was indeed just the budget that limited such things. To me Capcom has yet to show me they can really blend the two well together. Since stuff like RE4 & 5 I consider action over anything else. They seem to excel at focusing on one idea (even with the flaws of 6). I wouldn't mind be wrong in the future though.

I come off as hating the Rev games more than I do. Their decent titles, just to me not the quality I want to see I guess.

I've been struggling through RE6 lately and it's still my least favorite of them all, but it's frustrating to see good melee/shooting mechanics hidden behind layers of crap and mediocrity.

Still looking forward to REmake2 and 7, but 6 is awful overall. 7 has got to make an e3 showing.

Reebot

I've been struggling through RE6 lately and it's still my least favorite of them all, but it's frustrating to see good melee/shooting mechanics hidden behind layers of crap and mediocrity.

Still looking forward to REmake2 and 7, but 6 is awful overall. 7 has got to make an e3 showing.

I hope they stick with the 6 mechanics for 7; with some refinement to smooth out the rough edges and much, much, much better level designed it'd be such a success.

I hope they stick with the 6 mechanics for 7; with some refinement to smooth out the rough edges and much, much, much better level designed it'd be such a success.
Some parts I've played so far have been really good, but they're extremely brief. Make a game with 6's mechanics, but slow the pace so it isn't so damn bombastic all the time.

They've got good movement and attacks pinned down but it means jack when the rest of the game has fallen apart.

Neiteio

I'd like to see a new edition of RE6 that makes fundamental changes to the game.

Keep the core combat and mobility mechanics, but add:

- A skippable tutorial mode that actually explains the intricacies of the controls

- For any forced "slow walking" parts (i.e. the start of Leon's campaign), make it like The Last of Us when you run indoors, where it's more of a light jog. The atmosphere should naturally slow most people down, anyways, so they'll still get the intended effect.

- Add stretches where nothing happens. Like the hallway in the castle with the fluttering curtains in RE4. Just give players moments where they can take in the scenic detail, manage their inventory, reload and heal, etc.

- I know QTEs can be set to "auto" now, but they'd be fine if they just telegraphed them with advanced notice — no split-second "gotcha" bullshit — and if they made them more intuitive to do. (Climbing a rope with Leon was difficult to understand the first time)

- Jake's Ch. 2, where they're searching for data chips in the whiteout of a blizzard, is probably the least fun I've ever had playing action RE. They need to make it easier to find your way through the storm. It should be a fun and fair challenge, not an exercise in frustration.

Bergerac

I would prefer dodging and Defense Items, I just think Defense Items shouldn't be on Auto. If it was strictly Manual and therefore a choice it would fit the game better. On the other hand the amount of Defense Items in REmake is actually staggering. You have a hard time getting bitten by zombies at all, they add damage to kicking off a dog, and can neutralise a Hunter's attack in mounted position.

kogasu

That's the thing gameplay wise I don't think it married the ideas all that well. I didn't get a tight action game like RE6 and I didn't get a scary game like older titles. Tried to be everything and didn't really excel at anything. I know A lot of people like it but there's seems to be more with my opinion on it as well. Maybe it was indeed just the budget that limited such things. To me Capcom has yet to show me they can really blend the two well together. Since stuff like RE4 & 5 I consider action over anything else. They seem to excel at focusing on one idea (even with the flaws of 6). I wouldn't mind be wrong in the future though.

I come off as hating the Rev games more than I do. Their decent titles, just to me not the quality I want to see I guess.

I've not gotten to Rev 2 yet but I found Rev 1 pretty unsatisfying as well. It got so much praise but yeah I found it just ok. Also, I dunno but that's just not what I'm looking for really in terms of horror/action if that.

Now RE5 was definitely pretty devoid of it but I feel like RE4 did a nice job of mixing some horror elements with action. When I think about it as a whole, the gameplay does end up being an action over all experience but the horror elements are definitely there. It at least could be a jumping off point for a possible better marrying of the two.

Zambatoh

I'd like to see a new edition of RE6 that makes fundamental changes to the game.

- A skippable tutorial mode that actually explains the intricacies of the controls

- For any forced "slow walking" parts (i.e. the start of Leon's campaign), make it like The Last of Us when you run indoors, where it's more of a light jog. The atmosphere should naturally slow most people down, anyways, so they'll still get the intended effect.

- Add stretches where nothing happens. Like the hallway in the castle with the fluttering curtains in RE4. Just give players moments where they can take in the scenic detail, manage their inventory, reload and heal, etc.

- I know QTEs can be set to "auto" now, but they'd be fine if they just telegraphed them with advanced notice — no split-second "gotcha" bullshit — and if they made them more intuitive to do. (Climbing a rope with Leon was difficult to understand the first time)

- Jake's Ch. 2, where they're searching for data chips in the whiteout of a blizzard, is probably the least fun I've ever had playing action RE. They need to make it easier to find your way through the storm. It should be a fun and fair challenge, not an exercise in frustration.

I agree with most of these. However I had no problem with the Blizzard level. I thought that was one of the better parts of the game.

What are the chances of 5 and 6 coming to next gen consoles? I kind of blindly hate them without having played them just because I'm very much an old school resident evil fan. But I would like to at least try and play them and see if they are as bad as I think they probably are.

I did play RE5 for like 10 minutes and was like wtf, this just doesnt feel RElike at all.

Rev2 was the best RE title of the last decade and there needs to be a season 3 alongside RE2make being like REmake to compensate the inevitable shittiness of RE7. It was how I have imagined the original RE4 to be before they doubled down on the action for bigger accessibility. While unfortunately RE5 and 6 are still the best selling Capcom games, so there's probably no saving 7. But it's okay if they keep making these ,,side projects" decently.

I kept falling down the ice hill. :(

Rev2 was the best RE title of the last decade and there needs to be a season 3 alongside RE2make being like REmake to compensate the inevitable shittiness of RE7. It was how I would have imagined RE4 to be before they doubled down on the action for bigger accessibility. While unfortunately RE5 and 6 are still the best selling Capcom games, so there's no saving 7.

Pretty sure there's gonna be a Revelations 3, probably with other fan favorite characters that Capcom forgot about. Probably Rebecca with... I don't know some other new character probably or even Jake and they'll probably throw in a cameo for like Piers, Billy or somebody else and tie it in to a main existing story. Thought it was a nice touch that Claire mentions Piers in the cinematic.

Honestly doubt we'll ever see characters like Carlos, Sheva, Helena, Parker etc again.

Manu

Yeah, I didn't have many issues with the ice slope myself other than my very first time.

I even ended up attempting a speed run of that chapter for an online event. Did it in like, 14 minutes or something.

joe2187

Banned

- Fight the monsters in the test tubes instead of DEATH ROOMBAS in the room before the elevator in the factory. of all the things in RE6, the exploding roombas infuriate me the most.

Zambatoh

Rev2 was the best RE title of the last decade and there needs to be a season 3 alongside RE2make being like REmake to compensate the inevitable shittiness of RE7. It was how I would have imagined the original RE4 to be before they doubled down on the action for bigger accessibility. While unfortunately RE5 and 6 are still the best selling Capcom games, so there's probably no saving 7.

Kinda jumping the gun a bit there, don't you think? For one they haven't even announced it yet and we don't know jack about it yet.

Kinda jumping the gun a bit there, don't you think? For one they haven't even announced it yet and we don't know jack about it yet.

Focus tested Michael Bay-esque blockbusters in playable form with coop party fun is selling best for them by a wide margin, so it's probably what they'll do again.
And during the promotion of Rev2 they kept saying that only for spinoffs like that they would be able to give more dedicated/older RE fans what they want.

Rean

I didn't really like how the combat felt in Rev2. All the enemies not reacting to your shots like they do in past games didn't make dealing with them satisfying or that fun to me.

You guys think re7 will sell well after how badly reviewed re6 was? Especially if capcom follow a mindless tps formula similar to re6.

joe2187

Banned
You guys think re7 will sell well after how badly reviewed re6 was? Especially if capcom follow a mindless tps formula similar to re6.

RE6 was considered a failure, got bad reviews

sold 6.5 million copies.

still a failure since the size of the team behind the game, and it's budget was bloated to all fuck and back.

Neiteio

Many people will buy a new RE without reading a single review. And RE7 could always review well. Not to mention there's a lot of love for RE in general. Also, with time, many people have come to like RE6. So I don't think RE7 will have any trouble selling.

Jawmuncher

RE7 won't have issues selling especially with the gap between games. Even so Capcom can either withhold reviews until release or if they're confident do reviews early.

Seyavesh

I think that was the original plan before they changed their minds, but don't quote me on that since I can't remember the source.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/16/resident-evil-6-spoiler-filled-developer-interview

it's in this interview- they had the idea to do so but thought it'd be a waste and cheap to just kill off a main character for shock value since they couldn't think of a way to really make the death feel like it mattered
it's at 3:45~

it's worth a listen to because that guy has some fuckin insane ideas

kamineko

I think the inevitable current-gen port will be a good predictor.

RE6 was bouyed by almost universal love for RE5. RE6 cannot do RE7 the same favor.

Still, Capcom has reflected deeply on their experiences (good and bad) with Resident Evil 6. I expect they will offer a stronger product with a more focused, compelling story and a greater emphasis on stylish combat.

It absolutely CAN sell well, if they improve on RE6's faults and market it appropriately.

Is this sarcasm or are you straight up taking the piss out of Outbreak fans?

RE6 was bouyed by almost universal love for RE5.

RE5 might be going through some Zelda cycle shit, but it certainly wasn't universally loved back in the day. In particular people playing it in SP shat on it (I solely played it coop, but hated it anyway), core RE4 fans did too because it poorly copied its level design. Just like RE6, it was made a success by people who probably don't give a damn about reviews anyway.

kamineko

RE5 might be going through some Zelda cycle shit, but it certainly wasn't universally loved back in the day. In particular people playing it in SP shat on it (I solely played it coop, but hated it anyway), core RE4 fans did too because it poorly copied its level design. Just like RE6, it was made a success by people who probably don't give a damn about reviews anyway.

Well, you're not wrong. At least in terms of describing fan reactions. Many thought having a partner ruined any chance of horror. Others disliked the "militarization" of RE.

In a broader, popular culture sense, I believe it was well-received by players who just wanted a co-op experience with solid production values. These reactions largely mirror critical reactions to the game. Missing the horror but fun gameplay, 80s metacritic.

Response to RE6 was far more ambivalent. There were more co-op titles available, the QTE's pissed off nearly everybody at launch (that double-rotate thing, oh my god), and critical response was lukewarm (60s-70s metacritic).

Note I am not arguing that metacritic=quality (of course it doesn't), but these large outlets (weighted by metacritic) tend to reflect the interests of the wider gaming public--the people who buy most of the copies of a 6+ million seller. Not people like us who are invested in the series.

LUXURY

I never understood the negative reaction to it. She looks great IMO, especially considering her age and all the things she's been through.

It was annoying for a while when every single Rev 2 thread was just page after page comparing her to Tobey Maguire. Ugh

She did look like him though. I see no resemblence of Claire Redfield in that model even if they're trying to make her look aged. Operation Racoon City made Claire look more like Claire and that's not saying much.

Anyway, I'm thinking of digging out my GameCube to play the old ports of 2 and 3. I just miss them. More than any other old school game.

Top Bottom