• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

UrbanRats

Nothing really interesting for me.
ZoE's 2nd remaster was cool, i suppose, but it's still a remaster of a remaster.
The Monster Hunter trailer was cool, but it's an already announced game.

Everything else i didn't much care for.

I had zero expectations though, so not terribly disappointed.

Oh, The Ken Shiro game... well i hope that one turns out good, since Ken Shiro was a big part of my childhood.

Listening to the new Frame Trap and I have to strongly disagree with Ben on MvC3 and SF4 being gorgeous games. MvC3 has a cool art style but those character models are not good. And SF4 is just flat out ugly.
Go play those games again and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Listening to the new Frame Trap and I have to strongly disagree with Ben on MvC3 and SF4 being gorgeous games. MvC3 has a cool art style but those character models are not good. And SF4 is just flat out ugly.
Go play those games again and you'll see what I'm talking about.

MvC3 is gorgeous though largely due to the artstyle, SF4 not so much. SFV walks all over it.

MvC3 makes MvC:I look like an even bigger joke than it is.

Auctopus

TGS seemed pretty standard/good. Not sure what people were expecting. A few surprises with some nice little extras is usually the way things go.

ibrahima

Banned
Really interesting episode of frame trap, a lot to chew on from the graphics in fighting games conversation.

I think something that broadly ties up games that are more or less successful from this perspective are whether they have a cohesive art style and whether that art style is of benefit to being able to understand and see what is going on.

I really didn't like SF4's art style when it was first being shown, some characters (particularly Ryu) looked pretty bad in SF4 vanilla, but hey it was 2008 and it was the first legit SF game in years, so it got away with a lot at the time.

Skullgirls is an interesting comparison because personally I've never liked the artstyle and I found it actually detracted from being able to see what was going on whenever I saw it being played. That's not to say the artstyle wasn't cohesive or was of a good quality in and of itself, and I know it has a loyal fanbase who love the game. I've never really been able to put my finger on what was the problem, perhaps the thick black outlines on the sprites or the timing of hitstop, hitstun and stun animations?

With Marvel and DBFZ we now have two games with very similar characteristics but wildly varied art styles.

DBFZ seems to get a lot right, the characters all have consistent designs and they draw from the work of a single artist who has a single style of art. Likewise the use of GGXRD style animation really helps with giving attacks and movement a sense of weight and momentum.

Marvel seems to be another story, characters with metallic textures look great, but what is up with the faces? There seem to be models reused from TVC and Marvel 3, which for some is no big deal but others could really do with a redesign (I'm thinking of Chris in particular here). The new characters generally look better, but there is a general sense of these characters not really fitting with the wider artstyle, if there even is one.

The problem with Marvel was touched on to an extent during the discussion when Xmen vs Street Fighter was mentioned, it had a style of art which drew from a handful of big influences: the 80s/90s era Xmen Liefeld comics and cartoon alongside with Capcom's anime style sprite art that they refined during Darkstalkers and SF Alpha.

Marvel infinite on the other hand seems to be drawing from influences all over the place, from the hyper real shiny and reflective exteriors of Iron Man and Ultron that look like they've been ripped from a movie to the plain and bland Frank West, Chris Redfield and Ryu. If that wasn't enough you have Thanos not really looking like his comic or film incarnation whereas Captain Marvel is pretty plain but also pretty accurate and you have a real mixed bag of characters and artstyles that don't really fit together.

Mikey Jr.

Souls Retro (Part 1) is up for Patrons!

edit: OOps, didn't know for Patrons only right now. Obviously when its released to the public.

Can someone PLEASE make a super nice thread for GAF?

DO NOT just shit one out.

Put like what EZA is about, their other retro's that they can check out, stuff like that.

Essentially the best of EZA, and how to support them.

OP being able to do it would be pretty great, I love the OP. But yeah, I trust you guys.

Put like what EZA is about, their other retro's that they can check out, stuff like that.

Would probably be best to wait for public release, no? That way everyone can see what it is all about before buying in.

OP being able to do it would be pretty great, I love the OP. But yeah, I trust you guys.

But not yet, because it's for patrons only.

Mikey Jr.

Ooops!!

Hahaha, sorry. Never knew. Just wanted to get ahead before someone jumped the gun and made a shit thread.

But obviously, once you can actually see it of course.

Visceir

Good first part. Sort of crazy to think where the series started and all the hurdles it overcame and how beloved and praised it is now.

Whoever is making the thread for it, be sure to mention they're the ones behind the GT retrospectives.

edit: OOps, didn't know for Patrons only right now. Obviously when its released to the public.

I agree someone should

However

Don't make it seem like you're selling them as a whole, keep it focused on Retrospectives with maybe a link to their Patreon at most. Doesn't need to be "EASY ALLIES SOULS RETROSPECTIVE |OT| PLEASE GIVE THEM MONEY " (especially when Retros are not coming out super frequently)

And yes I very much enjoyed part 1

I think Jones just made a goof lol.

Probably tried to put the Cup of Jones live but instead went live on youtube, as in live stream. He had his mic on and you could hear him "Ughh fuck" and go offline.

Anyway. Cup of Jones time. Any moment lol.

Edit: Oh, tried to do it live. Well, no cup of jones today.

Probably tried to put the Cup of Jones live but instead went live on youtube, as in live stream. He had his mic on and you could hear him "Ughh fuck" and go offline.

Brandon Jones‏ @TrailerJones 51s51 seconds ago

I planned to do a live Cup of Jones this morning, but it's not working for me at the moment. I'll be up ASAP. Maybe later this week. Sorry!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the retro. I was really engrossed. Had the same feeling as when watching the hyperbithero retro likes which is good.
And as someone intimate with Souls to have platted every single one of these games I'd say that's a good sign if I can still be interested.

Edit: Oh, tried to do it live. Well, no cup of jones today.

You know, I don't think I've ever heard Jones swear.

Just watched the retro. I was really engrossed. Had the same feeling as when watching the hyperbithero retro likes which is good.
And as someone intimate with Souls to have platted every single one of these games I'd say that's a good sign if I can still be interested.
That's great to hear. I can't wait to watch it when I get home. I know jones and blood worked on this but I've always felt this one was Brad's baby and a good time for him to shine!

Umibozu

-Ben

Just wanted to point out in the most recent frametrap, silicon studio isn't the developer of project octopath traveler, it's acquire. There was an assumption that they had worked on 3d dot heroes but the crew had the wrong developer in mind.

mcw

The 2 and a half minute archive of cup of "fuck" Jones is up on the youtube channel, available to all.....

Lol.

I feel bad for Jones. YouTube sends out emails whenever a channel goes live, so this morning over 20,000 emails went out:

YT: Get ready, everyone! Something amazing is about to happen!
Jones: FUCK
- end transmission -

-Ben

Just wanted to point out in the most recent frametrap, silicon studio isn't the developer of project octopath traveler, it's acquire. There was an assumption that they had worked on 3d dot heroes but the crew had the wrong developer in mind.

Yeah we got a lot of rightful corrections on this. Felt bad. I'll try to mention it on the next episode.

wmlk

Yeah, people confuse a lot of what Bravely Default is as Silicon Studio's thing. The main leads are still from the Square side, and that can be traced back to Four Warriors of Light on DS.

Yeah we got a lot of rightful corrections on this. Felt bad. I'll try to mention it on the next episode.

I know this would be way too massive of an undertaking (especially for you as DM), but I think it would be so awesome if the next TTE campaign was a smaller, more concise one. In place of a larger one, it would instead be the humble beginnings of a TTE "cinematic universe" where everything eventually culminates into one massive finale campaign. I think it would be so fun to have characters from different campaigns team up. Sure, that would mean some people would have to keep track of multiple characters they are role playing. But if someone could ever pull it off (hopefully you guys, one day), that would be an amazing thing to witness.

I feel bad for Jones. YouTube sends out emails whenever a channel goes live, so this morning over 20,000 emails went out:

YT: Get ready, everyone! Something amazing is about to happen!
Jones: FUCK
- end transmission -
"And that's your cup of Jones. Cheers."

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Destiny 2 review feels a bit... off? Stating you can now equip 3 weapons instead of 2 but you always can equip 3 in D1, and stating no new enemy types while there actually are, and existing enemies gain new behaviors.

By "enemy types," he meant races, which is true. And honestly, there's a couple new variants of Cabal. That's it. I think having one of the old Vex explode and one of the old Fallen crawl a lot would be a stretch to call a new enemy.

But the "now you can equip three weapons" thing made me do a double take.

munchie64

Kyle didn't like IT?
Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif

Top Bottom