• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm surprised Sony doesn't have a first party AA/AAA level JRPG presently

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
LOD sold over a million. Of course they were the home of JRPGs then and they are now. No point in investing in those i suppose

Even so, i'd love to see a new Wild Arms or Arc the lad or LOD personally, i love those franchises. Hell give me another Dark Cloud while your at it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I guess I've just been living under a rock, but aside fro P5, where exactly is this near saturation coming from?

These were just a google search away, and it isn't exhaustive either.

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Valkyria Revolution
Tales of Berseria
Digimon World: Next Order
God Wars: Future Past
NieR Automata
Super Robot Wars V
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
Summon Night 6
Atelier Firis
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Persona 5
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
Rainbow Skies

Exentryk

I won't mind a revival of an old JRPG IP from Sony, but I'd prefer something completely new.

I'm a hardcore JRPG fan too, but is that the only genre you play? Man, you're missing out on great stuff.

Yeah, RPGs are pretty much the only thing I play, and even those needs to have sword-based combat. I like to try good games like Last of Us and Uncharted for the story, but their shooting-based gameplay keeps me out.

Sanctuary

Do you really think p5 is the only jrpg this year? Google man.

Nier - Not a JRPG
Kingdom hearts
Tales
Persona 5
Ni No Kuni - Already listed
I am Setuna - Been out a while and isn't a PS4 exclusive by any means.
ff15 just released - Already acknowledged...
Dragon Quest X1 - Yep, and how long until that actually gets released in the US?

To name a few.

Yeah, just so many choices right now.

don't forget nioh

Yeah, don't forget to add what is clearly not a JRPG, but a skill based action game to the list!
Jesus.

Razlo

Perhaps the mobile RPGs they're making are to Guage interest in bigger things with those properties.

There was a lot of Legend of Dragoon talk last 2 years too.

DocSeuss

Sony doesn't have a first party studio capable of making a JRPG, and the genre doesn't sell well enough to justify it when that money would be better spent making Yet Another Cinematic Action Shooter.

what's a jrpg

A game that pretends to be an RPG without any of the things that make an RPG an RPG.

Oersted

This is perhaps the reason I don't play any of Sony's first party games. Large RPGs have to be the most ambitious and costly games to make, so I can see why they don't have one.

However, Verendus said SE Japan had a JRPG in the works. It was a few years ago though.

You exclusively play JRPGs?

Sony doesn't have a first party studio capable of making a JRPG, and the genre doesn't sell well enough to justify it when that money would be better spent making Yet Another Cinematic Action Shooter.

A game that pretends to be an RPG without any of the things that make an RPG an RPG.

Where there any games more successful this christmas than FFXV and Pokemon?

VariantX

They have virtually every JRPG on their console. They don't really need one of their own

Yep. Same reason that PS4 is the default console for fighters. Whatever didn't come out on PS4, likely came out on the vita. and to a lesser extent, what doesn't come out on either will come out on 3DS. And everything else comes out on mobile. Its a symptom of MS having virtually no presence in the japanese market.

Zaventem

I buy systems for rpgs. Believe me when I tell you only the 3DS holds a candle in the jrpg market. Though more killer 1st party exclusives would be a good thing.

[QUOTE="D";228110872]True but that didn't stop them from dropping LOD back when JRPGs were in abundance. I know its a different climate financially and demand wise but I think even if they remade LOD or did a sequel, without risking bank on a brand new IP, it would do pretty good[/QUOTE]

Highly doubt any revived IP from yesteryear will do any good or be worth the time and effort and money. Really OP, it's pretty self-explanatory as to why Sony don't do it.

Someone stop this man, the edge is out of control.

Did you get Sony confused with MS? They support PS4 Japanese games in Japan fine through SIEAJ

Pretty much every major publishing effort they make now is geared around the western market.

What games has Sony made recently that makes you think that putting out a AAA level JRPG is something that would fit in with their current profile?

They made Oreshika a few years ago, that game was pretty good, and had high production values for a Vita game. Really beautiful art style, you could qualify it as AA. Otherwise yeah they haven't done much in that sphere in a while, but I'd say most of that is due to Vita not doing as well as they wanted. If Vita had double the install base you might've seen them invest a bit more in JRPG's for the platform.

As far as PS4 is concerned, I think they are happy to let other companies do that work for them. It's expensive to produce those sorts of games, and none of the franchises they own have the pull to really justify the development costs. I do wonder what JAPAN Studio is going to be up to now that GR2 is done. It's possible we could see an RPG project from them, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
Edit: They are also funding other companies to make JRPGs for them, or funding the localization costs. Stuff like Ni No Kuni 2, Nier Automata, Yakuza, etc. They probably see that as more reliable than developing a JRPG internally.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Pretty much every major publishing effort they make now is geared around the western market.

What games has Sony made recently that makes you think that putting out a AAA level JRPG is something that would fit in with their current profile?

Where did i ever say they were going to invest in JRPG's through first party studios again?

All i've been saying is that Sony DOES care about Japanese games and JRPGs, and it shows in their commitment to forging relationships with their partners that lean heavily towards those games, and helping them market as well.

Razlo

I'm going to go against the popular sentiment in this thread and say if done right, a first party RPG could do great sales wise. There's so many damn consoles out there and big RPGs have been selling well. An exclusive that has a wide appeal theme and fun combat system could grab some players that don't like, or try much of the current offerings.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
don't forget nioh

if op is talking about turn-based command rpgs he should just say that

I meant like having members in your party, going to towns and dungeons, staying at an inn, finding equipment and learning skills, having quests and side quests, stuff like that.

To me stuff like Bloodborne and Dark Souls are Action RPGs

Nintendo platforms & PC gaming would like to disagree with you on that.
This post confuses me alil whats being said here

[QUOTE="D";228112518]I meant like having members in your party, going to towns and dungeons, staying at an inn, finding equipment and learning skills, having quests and side quests, stuff like that.

To me stuff like Bloodborne and Dark Souls are Action RPGs[/QUOTE]
This thread is about to turn into a breakdown of what a jrpg is now...

Elfstruck

I'm not. Their big budget productions seem to be geared at a larger western audience. The JRPG genre isn't what it used to be in the PSone days.

People expecting Sony to shell out millions of dollars to make their own AAA jrpg, when in reality it's a risky business nowadays.

Top Bottom