• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm surprised Sony doesn't have a first party AA/AAA level JRPG presently

jdstorm

Banned
I guess Japan Studio should be relegated to Gravity Rush and Knack sequels, because a AAA first party JRPG would be a waste of resources.

shrug-house.gif

Id be cool with that if we get a fully realized Gravity Rush 3.

Dragun619

Sony seems perfectly fine with leaving that market entirely to SquareEnix, NamcoBandai, Atlus, etc.

I mean, It's probably easier & safer, Thinking like, Would you rather secure Final Fantasy 7 Remake? Or try to produce a new JRPG ip that matches a Final Fantasy/AAA production?

Depends on if you want low fidelity gaming or high fidelity. I just can't deal with handhelds, so that library is pointless to me.

That's why i'm glad Switch is coming and they will do much better surely by nature of being able to play on the big screen.

On the other hand, most of the franchises i like are on PS4 anyway compared to Nintendo

Edited above because the question wasn't about hardware fidelity but about library selection . I'm also glad and hopeful we will continue to be getting those on switch with better fidelity.

And if I were to bet I would bet the switch will have a better jrpg future than ps4. Handheld is just king in Japan. So the responses in here are kinda confusing to me because in general Nintendo is killing Sony in this department (number and selection, maybe not quality top tier ones.) Even with third parties.

BigEmil

What are some previously made Sony first party JRPG's? Ones I remember

Freedom Wars
Soul Sacrifice
Wild Arms
Arc the Lad
Okage
Legend of Dragoon
Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicles
Rogue Galaxy

Trago

Id be cool with that if we get a fully realized Gravity Rush 3.

I'd like that too, but I find it funny that to some a JRPG is off the table. I get why, but I think Sony is in a position to take a risk or two without much hassle. They are on top after all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This thread is trash WKC slander, Rouge Galaxy slander and LOD ending bad!?

You people don't deserve a new jrpg

WKC 1 and 2 were trash tier, Rogue Galaxy was better but still below average especially compared to DC2. LOD was :) memorable

Brix

Well.....I played World of final fantasy, dragon quest builders, bloodborne, ffxv so far this generation. Plus there's Persona 5, Nino Kuni 2, Tales of B, Nioh, Dragon quest, kingdom hearts, ff7 remake coming. Don't know what the hell OP is talking about.

Dragun619

I guess Japan Studio should be relegated to Gravity Rush and Knack sequels, because a AAA first party JRPG would be a waste of resources.

I don't think Sony wants to put any AAA production directly on Japan Studio yet, unless of course, if it's studio collaboration like with FromSorftware.

Especially now that they've sorted themselves out from the development mess back in the PS3 days, and is steadily releasing titles this gen.

Sanctuary

Well.....I played World of final fantasy, dragon quest builders, bloodborne, ffxv so far this generation. Plus there's Persona 5, Nino Kuni 2, Tales of B, Nioh, Dragon quest, kingdom hearts, ff7 remake coming. Don't know what the hell OP is talking about.

So Ninja Gaiden (clearly a JRPG!) and Dark Souls = JRPG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCYrMmeYY6M

My 58 year old aunt who has literally beaten every US released JRPG on the Genesis, SNES, PSX and PS2 and 360 (what there was anyway) would be under a completely different assumption going into this game blindly. I mean hell, it's one of my most anticipated games of 2017, but I would never call that a JRPG, let alone even an RPG at all. If we're really going to devolve into calling anything that gives you "experience" and allows you to "level up" a tree or item in some way an RPG, then clearly Devil May Cry and God of War are both RPGs.

Trago

I don't think Sony wants to put any AAA production directly on Japan Studio yet, unless of course, if it's studio collaboration like with FromSorftware.

Especially now that they've sorted themselves out from the development mess back in the PS3 days, and is steadily releasing titles this gen.

Nothing wrong with some risk taking here and there.

_Ryo_

As far as I know, Nioh is being published by Sony, and is a PS4 exclusive. I would definitely consider Bloodborne, and Nioh as JRPGs.

That's not to mention the megaton of 3rd party console exclusives.

Brix

So Ninja Gaiden (clearly a JRPG!) and Dark Souls = JRPG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCYrMmeYY6M

My 58 year old aunt who has literally beaten every US released JRPG on the Genesis, SNES, PSX and PS2 and 360 (what there was anyway) would be under a completely different assumption going into this game blindly. I mean hell, it's one of my most anticipated games of 2017, but the hell would I ever call that a JRPG, let alone even an RPG at all.

Where was Bloodborne/Darksouls/Nioh made? In Japan correct? Action rpg's are still role playing games. So would calling these types of games Action role playing games made in Japan be better? (AJRPG).

FStubbs

Xenoblade is literally the only series Sony doesn't have in terms of jRPGs. What's the point of them making a first party jRPG in 2017?

They'd be better off making a first party wRPG.

yurinka

They already have (or will have) all the major JRPGs on their console so don't need to compete for this market.

In any case, JRPG aren't as big as they were in the past, they don't sell that well and would cost a ton of money build one from scratch. And Japanese isn't as big/important as it was in the past, because they are shifting to mobile. A brand new big AAA JRPG may be too expensive and risky today for them.

I think Sony doesn't need to make their own JRPG. If they do one, it would make more sense to make it smaller and for mobile, something I think they already planned.

Brix

Souls like games have dialog options, character customization, build variety, weapon diversity, statistics, npcs, etc. Just because Action takes the priority doesn't mean it's not a rpg. Plus what do the deverlopers state the genre of the game? They call it Action- role playing game

Sanctuary

Where was Bloodborne/Darksouls/Nioh made? In Japan correct? Action rpg's are still role playing games. So would calling these types of games Action role playing games made in Japan be better? (AJRPG).

This logic never made any sense and still doesn't. Where was Dragon's Dogma made? What does it look and play like? Definitely not a JRPG, but a WRPG, yet it's made in Japan. As for your third question however, sure, or just ARPG like the genre actually suggests anyway regardless of region. Most of the time anyway, games listed as ARPGs are typically just action/adventure games with a huge slant on the action and minimal on the "RPG".

This thread reminds me that I should play Rogue Galaxy at some point. I really think that I would enjoy it.

I'm not too fond of Legend of Dragoon. I think it's a mediocre game.

Memento

I will echoe everyone saying that they dont need.

Every big, medium or small JRPGs ends up on PS4. And most of them are exclusives, so... why bother?

I would love to see Japan Studio's take on a JRPG though, definitely.

mejin

They don't need it, but they'll probably do it anyway. All for the sake of nostalgia. They have ips they can revive or even create another one. It's all about find a good and available partner for Japan Studio to do it.

duckroll

Sony is focusing their JRPG efforts on the market that counts. Just look where Wild Arms and Arc the Lad are going to be. I applaud them for having foresight and knowing the actual audience for these games rather than listening to idealistic fanboy requests wanting these games on "real" gaming platforms.

:)

Dargor

Sony is focusing their JRPG efforts on the market that counts. Just look where Wild Arms and Arc the Lad are going to be. I applaud them for having foresight and knowing the actual audience for these games rather than listening to idealistic fanboy requests wanting these games on "real" gaming platforms.

Wow, you truly love playing with our feelings. And by playing I mean crushing them! T.T

A very true post.

Top Bottom