• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sebulon3k said:
Clockwerk is currently bugged in the beta, his ultimate will hit anything including buildings, or allied creeps, and neutrals, I would highly avoid playing him.
I thought those were intentional, but he also hits the ground if you're aiming up or down a slope and the hook would collide with the ground in the process. Or at least it used to. I'm not sure if they fixed that or not.

If those aren't intentional, then I feel less bad about failing so many hooks with him the few times I've tried him. He seems really fun but I'm just so bad. U:

Well, two of my favorite heroes are pretty much the same so I am super excite. Now to see if Rigwarl and Armadon are identical.

vocab

Halycon said:
I believe they are identical, there hasn't been any significant changes to Pharoah after he was ported.
Clockwerk is better. Rocket cool down is so low. I think mines aren't as good, and ultimate takes a bit of adjustment. Also, mini stun seems less random.

As support, I always try to buy either the courier or a pair of wards at the start of the game. But that doesn't leave enough gold for the recommended starting items. How do I know what I should/shouldn't buy when that happens? Obviously, I could just look up guides, but sometimes I'm trying a hero for the first time, deciding to do so on the spot, and don't really have time. I know it's a hard question to answer, since there's a lot of room for differences based on WHICH character, etc.

Also, I've noticed that in practice mode if you choose random, you start with more gold. Is that true in matchmaking, too?

Togglesworlh said:
As support, I always try to buy either the courier or a pair of wards at the start of the game. But that doesn't leave enough gold for the recommended starting items. How do I know what I should/shouldn't buy when that happens? Obviously, I could just look up guides, but sometimes I'm trying a hero for the first time, deciding to do so on the spot, and don't really have time. I know it's a hard question to answer, since there's a lot of room for differences based on WHICH character, etc.

Also, I've noticed that in practice mode if you choose random, you start with more gold. Is that true in matchmaking, too?

I think I'm going to miss the free courier that HoN gives you.

Haha geez. I've been playing Dazzle for well over half of my games so far (about 40 total), and I never realized the Poison Touch stopped people at higher levels. I also didn't know it and Shadow Wave did physical damage, making my ult even more potent. GODDAMN.

Reading guides helps. Derp.

Jenga

Banned
Tinker is awesome

the fact that he's basically Gordon Freeman of the Dota 2 universe as well as being voiced by Dr. Kleiner makes him amazing

Sanjay

vocab said:
Clockwerk is better. Rocket cool down is so low. I think mines aren't as good, and ultimate takes a bit of adjustment. Also, mini stun seems less random.

Really? I prefer Pharaoh. I find his skill 2 to be better, his skill 1 shows me a better indication when they are getting mini stunned and also his Ulti is way faster.

Jenga

Banned
btw, is there any way to bind item actives to a key?

i'd kill if there was a way to bind flash dagger to F...(LoL pubbie in me talking)

Ferrio

Banned
Togglesworlh said:

That's how it was in the original. Gives you incentive to do random.

Jenga said:

i'd kill if there was a way to bind flash dagger to F...(LoL pubbie in me talking)

I thought 1-6 were the item binds. They used to be like that in DotA 1.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Look at the bottom of the keybinds menu. You can bind the ability/item hotkeys there.

Sanjay

Jenga said:

Bottom right hand corner.
7b624bf33223c6d7e2c3ee673a919959_lightbox.png

I have my Inventory items to Alt+Q, Alt+W etc. You can bind FLASH or any inventory items to what ever you want.

Finally started to play again :D I actually can play Quop pretty good, even though i play at 20 FPS :D Does anybody know how to reduce Texture quality etc.? Its all locked to high in the beta, but i really want a better framerate.

vocab

Sanjay said:
Really? I prefer Pharaoh. I find his skill 2 to be better, his skill 1 shows me a better indication when they are getting mini stunned and also his Ulti is way faster.

I actually haven't tested his ult enough to see if its faster. So far, I only see one person actually land it when it was needed to catch someone. But ya, Icefrog did buff the numbers on Clockwerk before Dota 2 beta was actually out.
at the start of the game. But that doesn't leave enough gold for the recommended starting items. How do I know what I should/shouldn't buy when that happens? Obviously, I could just look up guides, but sometimes I'm trying a hero for the first time, deciding to do so on the spot, and don't really have time. I know it's a hard question to answer, since there's a lot of room for differences based on WHICH character, etc.

Just buy one or the other, or you can buy both, and just bring like one set of tangos. I just buy wards, and then 6 tangos, and 2 minor totems. That's usually good enough. If you are CM, or VS, you really don't need shit for items.

It sucks Magic wand needs 3 iron branches instead of two like hon. You gotta make a decision what you want from the side lane, but thankfully there's more options.

Akia

I was in a full party where we all waited over 30 minutes for a match with no luck.

We ended up quitting and calling it a night.

Aesthet1c

Can anyone help me with a couple quick questions?

Is there a way to display damage numbers? I like seeing how hard I'm hitting, and how much my items are affecting it.

What priority do towers use for attacking? In LoL they only attacked creeps unless no creeps were present, or if you attacked an enemy champion, the tower would target you until you got out of range. In Dota it seems random.

Is there no way to surrender? I played a game last night where we were getting destroyed like 20 min into the match and clearly were not going to win, but the enemy team took like another 30 min to destroy our base. Would have been nice to end that game earlier.

Thanks!!!

vocab

Aesthet1c said:
What priority do towers use for attacking? In LoL they only attacked creeps unless no creeps were present, or if you attacked an enemy champion, the tower would target you until you got out of range. In Dota it seems random.

Is there no way to surrender? I played a game last night where we were getting destroyed like 20 min into the match and clearly were not going to win, but the enemy team took like another 30 min to destroy our base. Would have been nice to end that game earlier.

Thanks!!!

Towers work like this. It will attack creeps if it is next to it. If the creep wave gets pulled past the tower it will attack you instead after a few reps hit on a creep. It takes a bit of experience to know when the tower is about to focus you.

No conceded option is in game. Play it out, or leave.

Aesthet1c

vocab said:
Towers work like this. It will attack creeps if it is next to it. If the creep wave gets pulled past the tower it will attack you instead after a few reps hit on a creep. It takes a bit of experience to know when the tower is about to focus you.

No conceded option is in game. Play it out, or leave.
Thanks vocab.

Will the tower change to attack you if you are attacking a hero under it?

IceMarker

Ferrio said:
They really need a concede option.
The big argument against that is people give up too easily in some games.

Personally I think the concede option should be available at the 30 minute mark and all active players have to vote yes. That way you can concede in games where your team knows it will lose without a shadow of doubt, while still making it relatively "tough" to concede.

Hylian7 said:
*img*
Reeeeeedonkulous, but it's probably because only a few thousand are in beta right now.

It reminds me of the early days of HoN matchmaking. As more and more players get invited, I'd assume matchmaking won't take as long.

I'm loving the beta right now though. In the few days I've had it, I've put about 20 hours into it. My friends who are avid HoN players don't like the "delay" that's in the game right now. I'm thinking it might just be because the animations in general take longer, but I would say there is also just a small, but noticeable delay for when you give an action and when your character does the action. I've mostly gotten used to it at this point. However, my friends still aren't convinced on Dota2 yet, and are still playing HoN (also because not all of our group has keys). I would imagine that in a few months time once the game becomes more complete and polished that they will change their minds.

For my hero choices, I've been loving Riki, Lina, Lion, Lich, Earthshaker, Tidehunter and Venomancer. I didn't realize Shadow Shaman was Polly from HoN until last night, so I can't wait to give him a try now too!

I've also spent a lot of time playing with the bots. They definitely need to get improved though. Right now they are way too aggressive around towers to the point that they will die within the first minute or two because they would try to gank as soon as we got close to the tower. If a new player to Dota would play against them, I fear they may get the wrong idea about how aggressive to be. With each update though, if there's any changes to the bots, I generally like to check them out to see how they've improved.

Oh, and if you do play with bots, I've found that for whatever reason, the bots on the dire team tend to do better so I generally join them. :)

*Edit* About concede, I'm actually a fan of it NOT being in dota right now... I've had multiple games where we were turtled in our base, managed to get enough creep and hero kills in base that we got good enough counter items to actually push and win. If the game had a concede option everyone would have tried to concede when they get rax (including me). It's pretty awesome when you manage to turn things around though and win.

Ferrio

Banned
MrMister said:

Personally I think the concede option should be available at the 30 minute mark and all active players have to vote yes. That way you can concede in games where your team knows it will lose without a shadow of doubt, while still making it relatively "tough" to concede.

People are going to give up either way, either from leaving, or afk, or just not playing seriously (either consciously or not). They need it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MrMister said:

I'm down with the timer so people can't just quit out early, but having all 5 people agree would suck. One person could just ruin it for everyone else even if it's clearly over.

Ferrio said:
People are going to give up either way, either from leaving, or afk, or just not playing seriously (either consciously or not). They need it.

Yeah, I even find myself doing it. When I know a game is over, if my team won't concede I just end up not caring and feeding sometimes, just to hasten the inevitable.

Cheeto said:
My question is, what do you need both for?

You don't really, but HoN has the option. Just wondered if it were there. I only ever use hold.

Ferrio said:
Yeah. It's unavoidable. I like to think I keep trying until the bitter end, but realistically I know I make more mistakes when it's obvious I'm going to lose because I'm no longer invested in the game.

Last night I was playing with my friends. We knew we were going to lose. We were completely outmatched, all of our towers down, them superfarmed, us still way behind in farm. So half of us went AFK while the rest of us just messed around.

The argument against the concede option is weak at best, and stupid at worst.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Togglesworlh said:

Wards/Courier, Salve, Tango, Mana Pot and Branches is what I go with on most support. I can't remember how many of each you can get depending on whether you get the courier or wards.

Generally the recommended items are good, but for VS they still recommend you play her as a carry, lol.

Artanisix

Qqsqv.png

pu-pu-pudgin' it up yo. I'm working on a Pudge guide right now since I find almost all of them unsatisfactory for my tastes. Specifically, most guides don't go into explaining how to bully your opponent in lane, and hooking guides have been pretty bad since it's hard to explain.

~

I would like to say that when we inhouse, we need to try and even out the teams a bit more. It's definitely difficult with the massive variability in skill levels we have with GAF, but the more even the games, the better it is for everyone. Maybe even stick the really good players on broadcasters to help the newer players out, if we have enough people. I know I'm more than happy to spectate and critique someone's play if they're down for it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Artanisix said:
http://i.imgur.com/Qqsqv.png

pu-pu-pudgin' it up yo. I'm working on a Pudge guide right now since I find almost all of them unsatisfactory for my tastes. Specifically, most guides don't go into explaining how to bully your opponent in lane, and hooking guides have been pretty bad since it's hard to explain.

~

I would like to say that when we inhouse, we need to try and even out the teams a bit more. It's definitely difficult with the massive variability in skill levels we have with GAF, but the more even the games, the better it is for everyone. Maybe even stick the really good players on broadcasters to help the newer players out, if we have enough people. I know I'm more than happy to spectate and critique someone's play if they're down for it.

You got carried by Merlini. :3

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
MrMister said:

30 minutes in is a full game, even League has a concede at 20minutes for a slower game.

I think 15 minutes is a good one and just majority is needed. 3/5, maybe 4/5. Fuck if you get one wanker afking or intentionally dragging it out.

Forkball

Dazzle seems interesting, I'll try him tonight. I also want to give Crystal Maiden another shot despite sucking with her earlier.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I believe a concede system should be in game, but 15 minutes is too early unless the score is 20-1 or the other team already has a rax. Comebacks do happen and the other team can get arrogant and start throwing. I would like to see a set of parameters that have to be met before a team can initiate a concede (i.e. X kill difference, X gold difference, 2 sets of rax down, after 30 minutes etc)

balladofwindfishes said:
Is it even possible to unlock an achievements? I played a round but I didn't get the achievement for it.
No.
shintoki said:
30 minutes in is a full game, even League has a concede at 20minutes for a slower game.

I think 15 minutes is a good one and just majority is needed. 3/5, maybe 4/5. Fuck if you get one wanker afking or intentionally dragging it out.
Most games I'm in take at least 40 minutes. There've been a few slaughters that went much quicker, both from my team and the enemy team, but it's a rare, not common.

League of Legends games don't last as long, either, so it being 20 minutes is irrelevant.

Swag

You'd be amazed what type of situations you can come back from, Me, Swiftlame, and MRMR, watched a game where a team came back from mega creeps and 2 towers on Ancient, facing a team that still had secondary towers up, to winning the game.

The problem with the concede option is that it indefinitely breeds a defeatist attitude, if one lane loses teams automatically assume the game is over and start scapegoating people for the loss and begging for the immediate concede vote, instead of just playing the game out. Of course if your getting stomped 20-2 the game is over, but you only have yourself and your teammates to blame.

Lesson of the day is don't play with Publics.

Sebulon3k said:
You'd be amazed what type of situations you can come back from, Me, Swiftlame, and MRMR, watched a game where a team came back from mega creeps and 2 towers on Ancient, facing a team that still had secondary towers up, to winning the game.

The problem with the concede option is that it indefinitely breeds a defeatist attitude, if one lane loses teams automatically assume the game is over and start scapegoating people for the loss and begging for the immediate concede vote, instead of just playing the game out. Of course if your getting stomped 20-2 the game is over, but you only have yourself and your teammates to blame.

Lesson of the day is don't play with Publics.

I completely agree that sometimes teams are too quick to concede, but honestly that's why it's a vote. It's EXTREMELY rare that a team will make a comeback that all five of them have no inkling could take place, especially in a pub game. Having it as a vote will allow more experienced players to kill the concede if they see a chance for a comeback though.

Edit: It's also really annoying to sit through a game where you have a terrible array of heroes because none of the pubs would pick anything but their personal favorites, instead of having a proper team composition.

Ferrio said:
Starting to think I prefer LoL over Dota now (something I thought never possible). I just think LoL has a more creative stance on characters and mechanics.

I do not agree with that, I feel leagues has let itself become stale over the last year and some odd months with the underwhelming champion design that they seem to have down to a formula of: a gap closer that is more often a blink strike, defensive skill and a disable of some kind. That is not to say there are a few good champions that somehow came out of all of that, Orianna is a shining example of this with her whole management of the ball, even if she was too powerful at the start. I feel that every hero in DotA has a place and a job in enough of a different way to validate them being there, in League of Legends, half the cast is left on the sidelines because their jobs can be done better in pretty much all aspects by the other half.

Now, with that, I will say I do like the new mastery pages in leagues and it's a good thing they're finally willing to address summoner spells instead of pussy foot around the issue, working on their game instead of shoving e-sports down our pants along with new skins.

Deadstar

Is concede necessary? Isn't the fun of the game crushing the opponents base at the end? If there was a concede option you'd never get to do that.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Deadstar said:
Is concede necessary? Isn't the fun of the game crushing the opponents base at the end? If there was a concede option you'd never get to do that.
It kind of is necessary in a game like this. Just because one of your team mates could go AFK or leave, and the other team might not even be good enough to put away a 5 on 4 in a reasonable stretch of time

Jenga

Banned
Deadstar said:
It sure isn't fun when everyone else AFKs to go about their lives instead of wasting time to watch the enemy team destroy our base because Valve didn't throw in a surrender option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom