• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Found the point where the new content kicks in, but just gives me a black screen, even running in 16:9. On GOG forums it was suggested you need to start with a save from the end of Act 2 for the new content to initiate properly, but someone with the same problem said even that doesn't work. Has anyone on PC been able to access the new stuff?

ironcreed

Banned
Still running around Flotsam and finding the side quests pretty interesting. If I had one criticism so far, it would be the QTE stuff. Not a biggie, it just feels kind of janky. Especially in fist fights, where I would prefer to just be able to swing with the usual attack buttons on A and X. Fantastic RPG overall, though.

Still running around Flotsam and finding the side quests pretty interesting. If I had one criticism so far, it would be the QTE stuff. Not a biggie, it just feels kind of janky. Especially in fist fights, where I would prefer to just be able to swing with the usual attack buttons on A and X. Fantastic RPG overall, though.

It's funny, I usually hate QTE's but I love the fistfights in TW2.

ironcreed

Banned
It's funny, I usually hate QTE's but I love the fistfights in TW2.

I don't know, I just prefer direct control in combat situations and feel that just mapping fist fighting to the A and X buttons, with block on the right trigger like with sword fighting would have been better. That said, it is just a minor quibble of mine. The game on the whole is amazing.

I don't know, I just prefer direct control in combat situations and feel that just mapping fist fighting to the A and X buttons, with block on the right trigger like with sword fighting would have been better. That said, it is just a minor quibble of mine. The game on the whole is amazing.

Yeah I getcha. Thing is, I'll probably be pretty tired of em by the end of the game.

Didn't like the fist fights. Mainly because FPS would drop for no apparent reason when it went into to cutscene.

Try disabling Cinematic DOF and keep Gameplay DOF and Cutscene DOF enabled. It's known that Cinematic DOF which is only used in cutscenes and dialog scenes kills performance. I'm guessing fist fights fall under those categories and if so this should help.

T Ghost

Got the game yesterday at BB for the Xbox. Played for about an hour. Never played any game in the series. Here's my $0.002:

Loved the settings, characters, dialogs, plot, visuals (not impressive on the Xbox but nice). Didn't like AT ALL the learning curve. I felt thrown into the middle of a very, very complex game with no explanation at all of the game mechanics. Although the main part is intuitive for an experienced gamer and I could easily progress the game (normal difficulty settings) a LOT of stuff is not intuitive at all. I felt like that there a ton of ultra-mega cool stuff in the game that I have no clue how to use it (why did the game said I can blow locked doors using my "force push" when I actually can't? What am I missing here?) Then I looked at the manual... Whoa! That's a manual! And it's the first time in more than a decade that I felt the need to read the manual to be able to play a game. As a "hardcore" gamer, I'm loving this "tough nut to crack" but it left me wondering how will this lack of accessibility affect the game sales in the console world not only for this title (that seems to be fantastic) but for the series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Didn't like the fist fights. Mainly because FPS would drop for no apparent reason when it went into to cutscene.

Well, it's not exactly for 'no reason'. The game is using a much higher quality DOF renderer when in cinematics/conversations/fist fights :p.

Zeliard

Found the point where the new content kicks in, but just gives me a black screen, even running in 16:9. On GOG forums it was suggested you need to start with a save from the end of Act 2 for the new content to initiate properly, but someone with the same problem said even that doesn't work. Has anyone on PC been able to access the new stuff?

I got a black screen after the Prologue when Dandelion started talking. Figured something was up. Shame that the bug continues on with later acts.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else having an issue with the game skipping dialogue? It's as if the game is taking my input as a double click, rather than single, getting this with both Mouse and Keyboard.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
When I validate the cache on Steam it says one file failed to validate and will be reacquired but it doesn't actually download anything after that. Twice now. Also, every time I launch the game it does the performing first time setup thing...

And if I turn vsync on it stutters like mad even when the fps remain high.

And they still haven't improved the saving process, which results in loads of space over time thanks to the roughly 1MB picture it takes for every save... Autosave should only use one or two alternating files, not a new file for every save... The same for manual saving, I should be able to overwrite any previous one without having to just rely on a single quicksave for that function.

The game's basically janky all over, from rough animations and the jerky 8 way movement to the pop in (all over, large shadows, foliage, detail elements, etc, worse than Crysis) regardless of settings to utility issues like these. For all the amazing screenshots people can get from it, it kinda falls apart when actually playing it even after all these patches.

Of course even more so for lower end systems like mine...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Beware, the BROOM OF DOOM!!!

witcher22012-04-1814-bju8v.png

Nice, there's a soup ladle in Act 2 that can be wielded.

b4bacd78a77c354dfd1c92bf662991afeec95f32.jpg

Someday I'll play through the entire game using it exclusively.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There are muliple sites on the net with different Witcher 1 saves with all possible decisions.

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/989534-TW1-Savegame-Börse

This is in German, but either I or Google Translate can help you if you need translations. Just be careful not to use a save with billions of orens because it will break the second games economy.

Anderlinge = Scoia Tael
Orden = Order
tot = dead
lebt = living
gerettet, verschont, befreit = saved

Thanks man!

bee

so finally started this game (had it almost since launch) and playing in 3D vision on a 680, max settings (no uber, bloom), 16xaf forced, i get like 30fps average. what are the main performance hogs in the game? barring the 2 settings i have disabled of course, around 40+fps in 3D will do me

oh ye looks incredible btw :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
God damn, the Dark edition is out of stock everywhere :(

I lucked out yesterday with my pre-order(only person on the pre-order list that managed to get the Dark Edition at Best Buy), but really you aren't missing much.

The box and artbook are the most significant reasons to purchase. The artbook is quite lovely and well produced, and the box is eye-catching with the front window showcasing the framed lion and secret door to access the materials. The included pendant...whatever.

I was more surprised there wasn't much else exclusive to the set though. The game, making-of DVD, guidebook, map, soundtrack, all seem bundled with the normal edition regardless. Plus, no cover sleeve for the Dark Edition game. :(

It's not as bad as the Skyrim CE(what was I thinking!), but unless you really need that artbook and huge box to gaze at, the normal edition is mostly the same.

Just got to Act 3 and I need a Dragon Scale to finish the Kingslayer's set. Where dey at? I heard there's one in the Temerian Camp, but I haven't been able to find it.

edit: I don't want to have to
pretty much finish the game
before I can use the set.

vaelic

Banned
so I see people complaining about the sharpening. I never checked, is there a way to turn that off and is it recommended to do so?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I've been having a blast with this game so far, I think I am around midway chapter 2.
I went with Roach, sadly I have not really had much contact with the guy in chapter 2 so far.

Playing on normal difficulty, and the game has definity got allot easier now, I've unlocked the top tier sword talents now.

Oh and Zoltan does not get enough love, the character is great.

567f830b.jpg

Just picked this up. Am I doing it right GAF?

Only $29.99 - $10 (paid $19.99) credit instead of paying over $40 on Steam/GOG.

I get the EE update free still?

Salaadin

I've been having a blast with this game so far, I think I am around midway chapter 2.
I went with Roach, sadly I have not really had much contact with the guy in chapter 2 so far.

Playing on normal difficulty, and the game has definity got allot easier now, I've unlocked the top tier sword talents now.

Oh and Zoltan does not get enough love, the character is great.

You are wise.

Zoltan is a great character. I wish we got more of him. The first game had some real cool moments with him.

yes you get it for free.

Thanks. I feared the regular edition had been pulled already but glad to see its still around. I wasn't going to pay the EE price on Steam when the content is free for the regular edition. Seemed silly.

Will just do my download from gog.com:

Which version of The Witcher 2 will I get as my backup copy?
You'll get the newest Enhanced Edition, with all bonus materials available on GOG.com!

Just got my Dark Edition from Gamestop. Nice set. One question, the 3D wolf's head on the box, the piece of plastic in front of it is so scuffed up you can barely see it. Is this intentional? Looks like it, and I can't see how it would have gotten scuffed accidentally, but it looks a bit shit.

Artbook is great. Cover is nicer than the PC version, and binding is such that there is a full open, and no loss of image in the seam. Hopefully it will hold up, not that I'll be thumbing through it that much.

Medallion is very nice. Heavy, high quality. Chain is a bit long, but I'm not actually going to wear it, so it's all good.

Will check out making of later, not sure if there is any new content from the Premium edition.

Quest Handbook was rewritten. Not sure if it would be, because the one on GOG.com didn't update when the EE went live. Still an error I notice immediately in Melitele's heart sidequest that went uncorrected, but nicely put together. Binding a bit cheaper, but it works better if you use the guide regularly.

Gamestop sent the pre-order key chain separately, which is weird, but they also sent the game in the same box that was sent to their stores, so I guess I can see why. It has almost no give around the Dark Edition box, but the box is thick, so fortunately only very minor corner dinging.

Overall, PC CE>Dark
Premium Edition> EE

Would have been a fantastic value at 80, okay deal at 100.

gdt

Holy Hell. In Dark mode, Nekkers literally rip you to pieces with a few hits, and you fight lights gangs of 6 or 7 all the time in the forest. This is crazy!

I think I'll do more quests (to unlock more perks) before I tackle anything Nekker related. Endregas were easy with Yrden.

The game wasn't too hard up to now, for a vet like me. The Nekkers just put it way over the top. I think that I'm totally not ready, no matter how I approach those fights. Need dat double roll + less back damage.

Exuro

For those that played before and are playing now, in the Nekker Cave in Act 1 did they ever change it where you're able stand at the entrance with being attacked by the nekkers?

I lucked out yesterday with my pre-order(only person on the pre-order list that managed to get the Dark Edition at Best Buy), but really you aren't missing much.

The box and artbook are the most significant reasons to purchase. The artbook is quite lovely and well produced, and the box is eye-catching with the front window showcasing the framed lion and secret door to access the materials. The included pendant...whatever.

I was more surprised there wasn't much else exclusive to the set though. The game, making-of DVD, guidebook, map, soundtrack, all seem bundled with the normal edition regardless. Plus, no cover sleeve for the Dark Edition game. :(

It's not as bad as the Skyrim CE(what was I thinking!), but unless you really need that artbook and huge box to gaze at, the normal edition is mostly the same.

Actually DVD is exclusive to the Dark Edition too. Damn it, still torn on which version I want.

ced

For those that played before and are playing now, in the Nekker Cave in Act 1 did they ever change it where you're able stand at the entrance with being attacked by the nekkers?

I wandered into that cave last night on accident, with no silver sword. I'm not sure I understand your question, but the nekkers would only pursue you so far back to the entrance and just stand there screaming.

I cleared the place even with steel, which I assume does less damage to them. Used bombs, igni and some traps, was a lot of fun.

Complistic

I lost half an hour doing this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2655006

It worked, but i still had to resume with an older save.

thanks, completely reinstalling it seems to have mostly fixed it. Though the preview pics of the saves aren't working right so I think i'll clean out my cloud saves anyways.

I wandered into that cave last night on accident, with no silver sword. I'm not sure I understand your question, but the nekkers would only pursue you so far back to the entrance and just stand there screaming.

I cleared the place even with steel, which I assume does less damage to them. Used bombs, igni and some traps, was a lot of fun.

Why didn't you have a silver sword? Don't you start the game with one?

KorrZ

thanks, completely reinstalling it seems to have mostly fixed it. Though the preview pics of the saves aren't working right so I think i'll clean out my cloud saves anyways.

Why didn't you have a silver sword? Don't you start the game with one?

When you get to Flotsam you only have a steel sword, you get a quest to go forge a new silver one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The other day I said something felt off about the PC version. I went ahead and added 4xSSAA and the game looks worlds better. Too bad I didn't backup my ini before the EE patch. Guess I will have to edit it again.

Importing from TW1 nabs you an extra silver sword, I think. I always have one in Act 1.

I got a Rune Sihil, which is steel. Maybe it depends on what you do in the game? I downloaded the save as a neutral one from the internet, because my computer blew up and I lost all my saves.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Actually DVD is exclusive to the Dark Edition too. Damn it, still torn on which version I want.

Pretty sure that most, if not all, of the videos on the DVD are available online. The documentary is just a collection of trailers and promotional materials that have mostly been available online at sites like Gametrailers for months(Here is the development doc on the 2.0 patch, next is the promotional doc for the changes to the Xbox version). I was a bit bummed when I discovered this last night when I sat down to watch. It is not a fully produced documentary DVD ala the Blizzard ones that come with the WoW CE boxes. You literally have a section of the DVD compiling all of the development documentaries(many linked in the OT first post), a section with all of the official trailers(also with links in the OT), a digital art gallery with game covers and artwork, and that's it.

Also, as someone mentioned above, my Dark Edition box does not clearly identify the wolf head through the plastic cover easily either. Also feel that is a big fault in the packaging design.

Pretty sure that most, if not all, of the videos on the DVD are available online. The documentary is just a collection of trailers and promotional materials that have mostly been available online at sites like Gametrailers for months(Here is the development doc on the 2.0 patch, next is the promotional doc for the changes to the Xbox version). I was a bit bummed when I discovered this last night when I sat down to watch. It is not a fully produced documentary DVD ala the Blizzard ones that come with the WoW CE boxes. You literally have a section of the DVD compiling all of the development documentaries(many linked in the OT first post), a section with all of the official trailers(also with links in the OT), a digital art gallery with game covers and artwork, and that's it.

Also, as someone mentioned above, my Dark Edition box does not clearly identify the wolf head through the plastic cover easily either. Also feel that is a big fault in the packaging design.

Well that solves my dilemma, standard edition for me. My amazon Dark Edition arrives today. Guess its going to eBay?

Vlodril

If you import a character that had aerondil (sp? the sword the lady of the lake gave you i think) it returns to your sheath after you lose it in the beginning. Its part of its magic i think.

Yup, same here, has a scuffed up look to it. I saw an unboxing video of a Dark Edition in Australia and their box was completely scuff-free and looked infinitely cooler. Oh well.

Top Bottom