• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

legbone

game of the muthafucking year right here! well, at least so far. can it even qualify since it came out so long ago? 360 game of the year anyways. love this shit. just finished several hours of it. kind of pissed that i missed out on "strong back". may just have to restart. hate to play that many more hours without getting more story. i'm hooked on the story. best story in a videogame i have ever experienced. and that's not hyperbole. it really is the most mature (in a non boob sense) story i have played. and i've been playing for approx 33 years. dammit. now i want to upgrade my computer and play the first one. ok, maybe not, but i really hope the third game is in the works.

edit: by the way, it is not nearly as complex or difficult as everyone makes it out to be. you can figure out the systems if you have ever played anything besides pacman or mw2. hell, it's more about figuring out the menu system which isn't that bad if you just explore. as for the combat, as long as you don't button mash you will be fine. it's all about the block and roll. block and roll baby, block and roll. it's still block and roll to me!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Forgot how pretty this game is. Best looking game out there, two years in a row. Real talk.

I also forgot how many traps were out in the forest. I somehow manage to walk into every single one, I swear.

So uh... Where do the saves go after one disables Steam Cloud? Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves has a bunch of saves from my playthroughs last year but none from my new EE run. Is there a new location? It seems to be saving fine...

So uh... Where do the saves go after one disables Steam Cloud? Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves has a bunch of saves from my playthroughs last year but none from my new EE run. Is there a new location? It seems to be saving fine...

Huh. Mine is empty too. I'm scared.

EDIT: Fuck me. Posted by a mod or some such shit on the witcher forums:

•If you wish to return to the old method of saving games ("My Documents\"), you will need to delete all save games stored on the cloud and in the steam directory, and then turn off steam cloud saving in the menu.

•In the Steam library, if you right click->properties and go to the "updates" tab, you'll see how much space you have available for storing files on steam cloud. When you reach this limit, don't worry, your oldest saves will be automatically removed from the cloud (but not from your hard drive) to make space for new ones

Bull fucking shit.

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/inde...am-cloud-saving/page__pid__802344#entry802344

I think one thing that helped me hugely was I used a list of attributes you could learn so I didn't miss any during the game. Things like the 10% dmg reduction etc are permanently missable and you'd typically have no clue how or when to get them if you didn't use a guide.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Character_attributes#Abilities

^There's very light spoilers on that page, just enough to let you know what to do to gain all the available attributes.. I'd recommend skimming through it and just looking for things you can do for the chapter you're in and then skimming again when you get to the next chapter etc. Really I'd use it from the beginning since there's ones you can get in the prologue.
Welp, i missed the backstab damage one. Time to restart the prologue. :lol

It took a few hours for me to get to like it, but I'm halfway through Chapter I now and I'm really digging it. Taking it slow, doing all the quests I find. It has a certain amount of yank, which I didn't really expect, but once I started looking past that it's a really solid game.

AllenShrz

Im a bit confused.

So there is a new patch, but where can I get a list of changes of that patch ONLY?

I cant seem to find one, either or steam update history or CD project's website and the OT just list changes but I dont know if they are from this patch or some other before.

ced

Goddamn this game can be hard on normal. I just have not figured out the correct way to do combat yet I guess.

I saved an elf chick from some guards last night, thought I was going to get some booty but it turned out to not be so, she is no longer with us.

The elves in this game are certainly not your stereotypical fantasy elves, it's pretty cool.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Goddamn this game can be hard on normal. I just have not figured out the correct way to do combat yet I guess.

I saved an elf chick from some guards last night, thought I was going to get some booty but it turned out to not be so, she is no longer with us.

The elves in this game are certainly not your stereotypical fantasy elves, it's pretty cool.

Everybody does

Huh. Mine is empty too. I'm scared.

EDIT: Fuck me. Posted by a mod or some such shit on the witcher forums:

Bull fucking shit.

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/inde...am-cloud-saving/page__pid__802344#entry802344

Ah I see, the new save location is in Steam/userdata/steamID/20920/remote. Good, at least I can backup my EE saves while I figure out how the hell to get the game to save in My Documents again (deleting all Cloud saves doesn't seem to work, as Steam says I'm still using something like 50MB), so it can recognize my older saves as well.
For all the praise that CDPR gets for their work with the PC scene, they sure made a bunch of seemingly amateur mistakes involving the Steam version (10GB+ patches, patches always being a day later, the GOG monk, and now Steam Cloud implementation). It's always been skewed towards the GOG version and I understand why, but it sure as hell is annoying.

EDIT: Yeah, I can't figure this shit out. I've got 50MB of saves in the Cloud that I can't seem to get rid of no matter how many times I delete it in-game. When I exit it syncs and redownloads them again, rather than delete from the Cloud. Disabling Steam Cloud leaves the 50MB on there, which means it'll continue to use the above path for saves even if it's not uploading to the Cloud anymore, and I don't want it to use that path anymore. Is there a way to see what files you have in Steam Cloud and delete them manually? :\
EDIT2: And now the Cloud saves don't even show up in-game, so I can't delete them (deleting from explorer just redownloads them). I need to be able to delete them in-game so that when I exit it'll sync and go to 0kb usage but now I can't even do that. Fucking great. Fuck this shit.

Played a lot of the game today. First time player on 360 here - so still new to it all.

First of all - it's amazing. No doubt about it - it's capturing my attention far more than Skyrim ever did and likely any WRPG before this.

Graphics, music, sounds, dialogue etc are all fantastic - really atmospheric and 'focused' design wise. I'll probably cop some shit for this but the games reminds me of the Fable series in terms of creating a very focused, consistent fantasy world - obviously Witcher 2 has a far more mature theme driving it all.

Combat so far is good. I was going to start on Hard but given my tendency to stop playing single player games 50-75% the way through and getting distracted by online games, I figured I would go Normal for the first play through. Kinda glad I did, I got my shit slapped throughout the prologue, particularly by archers and shielded Knights. I feel I have a hang of it now - I still take damage but the few talents I have, allow me to avoid a lot of serious hits (the parry all-directions is invaluable). That said, it feels clunky at times. There have been several instances where I have clearly dodged away and I still take some pre-determined melee-hit from range... there is also a little jank involved when performing executions. They're cool and all, but tend to snap you out of combat. It'd be fantastic if the executions were as smooth as say, Assassin's Creed but we can't have it all.

Besides some of the jank, the combat feels very strategic and deliberate - giving me shivers of Dark Souls on occasion. I must be patient and careful with my strikes and plan ahead for some battles, often leading to some trial and error. Coming off a good 30+ hour stint on Kingdoms of Amalur - I guess I'm having a little disconnect/adjustment issue. KoA:Reckoning, despite being quite easy (even on Hard) and prone to potion-sculling - felt very smooth and free-form. If you can forgive the camera at times, it's an impressively strong combat system with a good mixture of responsiveness, freedom and 'flashiness'. Witcher 2 in contrast is slower, a little janky at times (some inconsistency with range/lunge etc), far more focused and while retaining some flashiness, can often amount to watching health bars. I look forward to playing through on Hard/Dark modes to see how different it can be.

Perhaps the best part of it all is the story, theme, atmosphere, characters etc. While I never played Witcher 1, I don't feel in the dark really. There are a few characters that have referenced previous relationships or events that I am clearly unaware of, but it's trivial at the moment. I am genuinely intrigued by the lore, racism/politics etc behind a lot of the lore. The politics tend to lose my attention on occasion, I can recall most of the important families and kingdoms, but again, some of the more trivial stuff just goes straight over my head and right into the Journal entries.

Geralt is a fucking bad ass. Love swapping between the Steel/Silver swords, love hearing his conversations play out, love being referred to as 'White Wolf', 'Witcher' and even 'Mutant' because you know he will flog some ass if given the opportunity.

Surprisingly I'm also enjoying the 'side' stuff like arm-wrestling and bare fist fighting. I tend to gloss over these things in other games but they're kind of engaging - and the fact that there is a story/motivation behind some of it beyond 'gambling' keeps me interested a little longer. Dice poker is probably the most throw-away mini-game I have encountered but I think I will give it a go here and there to ensure I don't miss any quests etc.

Really, really good game. This should keep me engaged for quite a while, and I hope my buy/play list is as slim as possible over the next month or two so that I retain the motivation to play through for different endings and difficulties.

ACE 1991

So is there enough new content to warrant a second play through? I finished the game on PC a while ago but didn't really do much of the side quests and the like.

For some reason, this game is a lot louder than any other games. I played Mass Effect 3 and had to crank up the volume to around 50% to make it hearable, but then I loaded up the Witcher 2 and 25% is more than enough.

Minsc

Gold Member
So is there enough new content to warrant a second play through? I finished the game on PC a while ago but didn't really do much of the side quests and the like.

Did you play through both sides of Act 2? If not, that combined with the extra 4 hours is probably 10-15 hours of new content. Also if you didn't play dark mode, that might help help put a fresh spin on it as well.

gdt

God damn Endrega Queens on Dark take like no damage. Cant' even roll away fast enough haha. I'll get back to that lol.

I need to make some new equipment or something, damage is too low right now. I'm literally using everything I can...potions, oils, traps, bombs, quen, yrden. Barely scraping by.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

wat? You haven't finished the game if you played it once.

edit: by "finished" I mean "saw both sides of the story".

Exuro

Second play through? If you've only played through the game once you already missed out on 10+ hours of content back then.

ced

For some reason, this game is a lot louder than any other games. I played Mass Effect 3 and had to crank up the volume to around 50% to make it hearable, but then I loaded up the Witcher 2 and 25% is more than enough.

Yeah it's very loud, had to turn down the audio options to like a 1/4.

Salaadin

God damn Endrega Queens on Dark take like no damage. Cant' even roll away fast enough haha. I'll get back to that lol.

I need to make some new equipment or something, damage is too low right now. I'm literally using everything I can...potions, oils, traps, bombs, quen, yrden. Barely scraping by.

I took out the queens by kiting and using Yrden. I seriously think I fought each of them for around 25 mins. It was ridiculous.
Looking back, I think the +100% roll distance would have been the key to being able to face them face to face. Before that, you just dont cover enough ground rolling to be able to dodge them effectively.

RS4-

Try laying down 15-20 snares on top of one another and letting the queen walk on it. I don't know how much HP she has on dark but on normal, 10 or so instantly killed her.

Misterhbk

Is this game worth grabbing a 360 for? I'd most likely resell after playing it but this game has peaked my interest and would be a good game to play before Dragons Dogma comes out it seems.

Ah I see, the new save location is in Steam/userdata/steamID/20920/remote. Good, at least I can backup my EE saves while I figure out how the hell to get the game to save in My Documents again (deleting all Cloud saves doesn't seem to work, as Steam says I'm still using something like 50MB), so it can recognize my older saves as well.
For all the praise that CDPR gets for their work with the PC scene, they sure made a bunch of seemingly amateur mistakes involving the Steam version (10GB+ patches, patches always being a day later, the GOG monk, and now Steam Cloud implementation). It's always been skewed towards the GOG version and I understand why, but it sure as hell is annoying.

EDIT: Yeah, I can't figure this shit out. I've got 50MB of saves in the Cloud that I can't seem to get rid of no matter how many times I delete it in-game. When I exit it syncs and redownloads them again, rather than delete from the Cloud. Disabling Steam Cloud leaves the 50MB on there, which means it'll continue to use the above path for saves even if it's not uploading to the Cloud anymore, and I don't want it to use that path anymore. Is there a way to see what files you have in Steam Cloud and delete them manually? :\
EDIT2: And now the Cloud saves don't even show up in-game, so I can't delete them (deleting from explorer just redownloads them). I need to be able to delete them in-game so that when I exit it'll sync and go to 0kb usage but now I can't even do that. Fucking great. Fuck this shit.

That's weird. When I delete them in game, they were removed from the cloud. I'm curious if it's a random bug that fucked me, or if it's more widesread that it fails to auto delete your oldest save. Either way, what a fuck up. I no longer trust clouds.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is this game worth grabbing a 360 for? I'd most likely resell after playing it but this game has peaked my interest and would be a good game to play before Dragons Dogma comes out it seems.
Buying a console for one game is never a good idea.

I take it your PC is below spec then?

ced

Traps are great, it's obviously trial and error but it's still fun.

Anybody on the 360 having auto save issues? Last night I forgot to save because I kept seeing the save icon pop up, but when I died there was no auto save from that day, only the day before. I lost a lot of time, make sure you save often.

2AdEPT

. now i want to upgrade my computer and play the first one. ok, maybe not, but i really hope the third game is in the works.
DOn't let the low price on GOG fool you .....I just picked it up while waiting for the EE and although the combat obvioiusly is not the same, and the voice actors are not up to par and monotone, there are many points that are actually better! Its a good game on its own right and had to be....the original withcher 2 had tonnes of pre-oreders for a reason.

for the price of a cheesburger it really is a steal!

I also forgot how many traps were out in the forest. I somehow manage to walk into every single one, I swear.

That's a good thing. make sure to collect all of them..I brought 30+ traps with me for mos t of act 1+2 adn needed all of them several times on Dark mode early on in particular.

Who in their right minds would reject Triss at the Elven Bath to get a 20% damage reduction from magical attacks??? Fuck that!

I didn't realize there was a beneficial option not to! YOu tube might suffice for subsequent playthroughs...I hate getting hit by magic..although it is rare I suppose.

YEah I was able to do it (once) by
runnign around the tree mound counter clockwise and attracting nekkkers in doing so...it is better to leave their nests alone until after the queens are done but there still are a couple around even after. If you happen to get a boss nekker to fight the queen and you don't have ot use axii to do it..they already hate each other it would appear
these have taken as much as 2/3 off the queen. While they are engaged they ignore you so you can devise better bomb and trap strategies than if you are constantly avoiding OSK. I quit and started Dark and waited until I had blasphemer set even still though, so that is an option as well.

Sanjay

Any one have a link to the Mod that makes items weightless? or made the useless items weightless or what ever.

I had the Mod but now its gone because of the update and now I can't remember what the Mod was called and even if it still works?

I didn't realize there was a beneficial option not to! YOu tube might suffice for subsequent playthroughs...I hate getting hit by magic..although it is rare I suppose.

I never even considered rejecting Triss before and certainly won't consider doing it now in any of my subsequent playthroughs even after knowing about this. I like her character too much. Bonuses be damned!

DOn't let the low price on GOG fool you .....I just picked it up while waiting for the EE and although the combat obvioiusly is not the same, and the voice actors are not up to par and monotone, there are many points that are actually better! Its a good game on its own right and had to be....the original withcher 2 had tonnes of pre-oreders for a reason.
The only way to play the Witcher is with Polish voices/English subtitles. Much better voice acting, imo.

Arnie

Ok, regarding a choice, and an end of chapter 1 spoiler:

Did people save the women in the burning tower or go after Loredo? I went after Loredo because I wanted his key, but what can you do with the key you get from his body? Also, if you save the burning women do you get some booty on the boat? Oh and I love how the Journal reflects your actions as if it's a tale.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Did people save the women in the burning tower or go after Loredo? I went after Loredo because I wanted his key, but what can you do with the key you get from his body? Also, if you save the burning women do you get some booty on the boat? Oh and I love how the Journal reflects your actions as if it's a tale.

I
saved the women and yes, you get something. But not on the boat.

Salaadin

Any one have a link to the Mod that makes items weightless? or made the useless items weightless or what ever.

I had the Mod but now its gone because of the update and now I can't remember what the Mod was called and even if it still works?

Don't know if this helps any, but there's storage in the tavern basement now so it's much easier to manage weight

Digoman

Who in their right minds would reject Triss at the Elven Bath to get a 20% damage reduction from magical attacks??? Fuck that!

Yeah, that has got to be the least obtained bonus in the entire game... I don't think I ever got it in any of my playthrough.

I haven't tested, but there are two mods in http://witcher.nexusmods.com/ who say in the description that have been updated to work with the EE.

I think
the key is for the Royal Mail box in his house. Not sure if it's useful if you used the other mailbox in the town. And yes, you get some booty and a little reward later, but not on the boat).

VERY Loud.
Im needed to low music and sound to 6 in options, because i couldnt hear well the dialog in the inn. No in some scenes, they talk so loud you can hear their echo, and im not shitting you.
Playing with good headphones is marvelous.

Top Bottom