• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

Riposte

One thing I find funny is that Brad and Jeff act like they are outsiders specifically to the Soul Caliber series saying stuff "they never got great at it" or that they sort of lost interest after the first one. As if that same exact feeling couldn't be honestly expressed for every single fighting game in the last fifteen years, even journo-darling SF4. Of course the best thing about SC1 was the single player filler, just like that's the best thing about the new MK. It doesn't bother me or anything, it is just that kind of obvious halfhearted pretension to fill up air time is funny to me.

Seems like if you wanted the everyday man's opinion on things you'd ignore the particular judgments and just focus on whether they feel aversion to the game or not. Ultimately if you suck at fighting games and don't plan on getting better then you'll want a bunch of superficial fluff in your single player modes to grind or you'll want a bunch of friends who also suck. This quick look expressed that very slowly while reminiscing about Soul Caliber 1.

Also is floe's xbox tag fLoE? Because I think that was him.

HP6 is easily the best QL ever. Ryan/Vinny is the perfect QL combo. Roadie running into students is so funny. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Just save some time and watch the best of quicklooks series on youtube. I don't think the guy has missed any of the best moments.

The whole GameRoom arc is the best piece of content on the site. Watching them go from being interested in to apathetic toward and finally to hating GameRoom.

SmithnCo

The whole GameRoom arc is the best piece of content on the site. Watching them go from being interested in to apathetic toward and finally to hating GameRoom.

Haha, I almost forgot about Game Room. It's hilarious how every guest Jeff has is outright depressed towards the end.

SmithnCo

I just remembered the Leisure Suit Larry Box Office Bust QL was pretty funny too, with Jeff and Ryan shitting on the game's awful humor.

Babysitting Mama was in a happy hour vid, but that ranks highly too.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wipeout has to be my absolute favorite quick look. The ragdoll physics coupled with Ryan and Vinny both trying to sabotage each other makes for great entertainment.

? What now?

Along with that quick look they did about 3-4 more Kinect games back to back. The next bombcast after those were shot, Ryan said that those games really took the breath out of him and that he had to go to the doctor's office.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Couldn't agree more with Patrick and Brad about Nomura during the FFXIII-2 QL. Bravo sirs.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably the wrong thread, but its on the first page..

We REALLY need a Random PC/Console game type thing but with Jeff as the host.

Havok

"No kid, I'm worth way more than 6 beans. I used to play shortstop for the Houston Astros, 1985 to 1987."

FGztB.png

"That's not the bookcase!"

StuBurns

Banned
Hearing them rant at Nomura is pretty embarrassing. He has nothing to do with the games beyond character design, and in this game all he did was design the faces, any buckles present are not his fault.

Aaron

Hearing them rant at Nomura is pretty embarrassing. He has nothing to do with the games beyond character design, and in this game all he did was design the faces, any buckles present are not his fault.
The faces are still terrible.

The people at Giant Bomb are ignorant?

I am frankly, shocked at this development.

Jintor

It's pretty bullshit. At the same time, I kind of don't really expect them to fact check, but I don't expect them to be wrong, either...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I watched the whole FFXIII-2 QL...

lol I can't watch this. Brad seems like he needs to watch someone else do a quick look to understand what is going on.
Well, I wouldn't go so far (though I don't like the Optimae Paradigms Brad chose at all), but...

Constantly hitting auto-battle and the Optimae he chose (and being somewhat successful with them), well... it really does reflect the balancing--well, the lack thereof--in FFXIII-2 now that the level caps have been removed. Even though I'm not using monsters (except for the bits where I have to) in my playthrough (so I'm using two party members instead of three), I'm not really experiencing much difficulty with the game. It kinda sucks, because I wanted a harder game than FFXIII, or at least a Hard Mode.

Like what I did in FFXIII, I'm not using Auto-battle at all (partially because it makes the game boring if I do use it, and partially because the AI picks and links the dumbest assortment of commands), and even taking the extra time to select abilities and fill up the gauge doesn't really affect the pace of the battle (which, if you did the late-postgame in FFXIII, you'd know that timing attack animations of the leader and syncing them with your other characters would yield the best results in many circumstances, particularly with Mission 51 and the Guis).

Brad saying, "You can go in and issue commands to your character, but that's crazy! You're wasting turns by going in and picking specific abilities! The computer's good at enough at picking the commands," was something I found rather irksome since I do it just fine, and it's far better than counting on the AI to pick the commands for you since the AI picks the commands which link up very poorly and nonsensically in terms of animation linking, efficiency, battle tactics, and speed. :/

Nose Master

You can't really go into a giant bomb quick look expecting serious, informed feedback about the game. Especially a JRPG, ffs.

This isn't a negative, really, you just have to gauge your expectations. Watch for the funny, ignore the ignorance.
And Patrick. Ugh.

Top Bottom