• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

meppi

Well. I just booted up the game on PS4 after a long time and it seems completely broken now. Wtf
It tries to connect to their server and after a bit the screen just goes black, the music keeps playing but I can't do anything.
Same thing happens when I try to push cancel as it's connecting. Black screen and I need to close the application. Fucking hell.

GuyKazama

I'm tempted to give Stern Pinball Arcade a chance once Ghostbusters is released, but so disappointed that things are still broken after all these years.

I want it on PS4 to get the lighting, but I think I can only trust iOS to not be a complete mess.

Shaneus

I'm tempted to give Stern Pinball Arcade a chance once Ghostbusters is released, but so disappointed that things are still broken after all these years.

I want it on PS4 to get the lighting, but I think I can only trust iOS to not be a complete mess.
I have SPA on iOS and it seems to be mostly okay (UI is horrid and buggy, some layouts don't work with some tilt regions on the screen), but I won't be updating it for Ghostbusters at all. Means I can play Mustang for free indefinitely 8)

Benedict

It seems that Season 6 for PS4 is on a 66% discount in EU for PS+ members.
All the other seasons are full price
Is there any reason not to get this?
Is it certain they will release all tables for this pack?

Lettuce

It seems Ghostbusters is delayed until at least end of May because of emulation issues.

Think that BS, it can be down to emulation issue as there isn't actually any emulation involved. Farsight have the raw source code so all they need to do is compile it.

Shaneus

Further showing how much people don't really care about TPA at all now, I only just found out/realised that Paragon (ugh) won the poll to be the Season 7 opening table for TPA.

I can't even remember how long it's been since I bought a full season of TPA on either mobile or PC, and I don't feel I'm missing much at all.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Thanks. Somehow I didn't see this until now (luckily it's still on sale).
Also I somehow missed the news that Stern Pinball Arcade was finally released in Europe on PS4 two weeks ago.

Shaneus

Thanks. Somehow I didn't see this until now (luckily it's still on sale).
I didn't notice it either. Season 6 has a pretty horrid selection of machines (dat Gottlieb collection) but for $13AU (the Pro pack was cheaper than the regular one!) I'm not going to pass it up.

kramer

HUUUUUUGE iOS update available.

Tons of tables have been fixed up and have the new flipper physics. Good stuff.

I can't vouch for bugs etc, but glad newer physics available for many tables.

HotHamBoy

This is the work-in-progress changelog as of April 18th

Much more has been done since then, I'm looking for a full changelog now.

What you will see now, is a list of items which have been worked on already. Please note this is as of Apr 18th and there are more fixes in the pipeline. The full list will be released with the next newsletter of course, but I'm sure we will see some more for you here before that.

PC (DX9/DX11), Mobile Updates

Added 17 new challenges for seasons 2 - 6.
Added the Reset Highscores button to the local highscores screen.
Added high resolution backglasses for many tables.
Fixed the black and white ball texture.
Fixed the camera getting stuck on the plunger camera during multiball.
Fixed several issues that made navigating the UI difficult when using the DPad or the arrow keys.
Fixed an issue that would cause the game to repeatedly click buttons.
Fixed the logo on the main menu in DX11.
Fixed the Play Random button loading tables that don’t exist.
Fixed the game lagging when the Goal Completed notification appeared.
Fixed the coin door menu buttons on Android.
Fixed some tables not restarting after exiting the coin door on Android.
Replaced several generic sounds used on older tables.
Removed all skill shot cameras to prevent users from being stuck in them at the start of the game.
You can now use username+XX@domain.com email address aliases when creating an account.

There are still some items on their Todo-list:

Updated table physics for seasons 1-4
Improved Android and iOS cameras
Emulated Black Knight and Gorgar
New custom ball packs
Fix the button sizes on Android and iOS

Now for the table specific fixes:

Al’s Garage Band

Fixed plunger camera during Brain Damage multiball.
Fixed an issue where the table sometimes wouldn’t start correctly.

Bone Busters

Fixed playing Bone Busters causing issues with other Gottlieb System 80B tables.
Fixed the skill shot goal not triggering if you hit the left trap instead of the right trap.
Fixed the 2x skill shot goal not triggering if you hit the right trap first.
Fixed dip switch settings not being restored after disabling operator mode.

Cactus Canyon

Cameras have been updated for PC.

Cactus Jacks

Fixed the Throw Watermelon goal
Fixed the 3,500,000 million point bonus goal.

Cirqus Voltaire

Tuning has been updated.
Elasticity was updated to reflect current values used on new tables.
The vacuum effect was removed from the ramp and back habitrail. If the shot is failed, the ball will roll back.
The Juggler Locks often failed - This is now fixed.
The menagerie ball now reflects a plastic ball being hit, not rubber.
The pitch of the table was increased as the table felt far too floaty
General collision sounds were not properly assigned such as rubber and metal hits.
The Magnet effect now snaps the ball into position when locking the ball at the juggler and high wire locks.
You can see the new turning in action here: https://youtu.be/s2Ihikr1GU8
Cameras have been updated.
Several collision issues have been fixed.

Creature From the Black Lagoon

Tuning has been updated.
Vacuum ramps were removed.
Top ramp is much harder to complete and failed shots tend to fall SDTM or to the left flipper.
The right ramps slope was adjusted accordingly.
Pop bumpers and slingshots strength was slightly increased.
The ball and other plastics can now correctly be seen under all transparent plastics.
Elasticity was updated to reflect current values used on new tables.
Bowl physics was updated so that the ball would naturally roll and hit the switch 2 times. It is possible to nudge to get the ball to rotate for more hits. but is challenging as it should be.
The pitch of the table was increased as the table felt far too floaty.
General collision sounds were not properly assigned such as rubber, metal, wood, and plastic hits.
Some minor flipper tuning to adapt to increased pitch of the table.
You can see the new tuning in action here: https://youtu.be/MlmRApSTpcU

Eight Ball Deluxe

Flight 2000

Genie

Tuning has been updated.
Elasticity of rubbers was fixed
Round targets were kicking the ball back which is incorrect and was removed.
The pitch of the table was adjusted so the table would play more like an EM.
The flipper strength felt to strong for an EM and was lowered.
Pop bumpers strength was adjusted.
Inlane metal wall elasticity was increased so the ball would have a more random behavior.
You can see the new tuning in action here: https://youtu.be/s-0QS7Le_PY

Haunted House

Fixed incorrect collisions on the left cellar flipper.

No Fear

Fixed missing mechanical sounds in DX11.

Swords of Fury

Fixed instructions incorrectly stating that the lionman bonus is held.

Twilight Zone

Tuning has been updated.

TX Sector

Xenon

Weevilone

All the other seasons are full price
Is there any reason not to get this?
Is it certain they will release all tables for this pack?

Looks like no sale in the USA, at least at this time. Bummer.

I've generally ignored all of their stuff for a long time because of the unfriendly pricing and business models.

Holy shit my bad, saw this bump in my follows and I missed the date on that.

HotHamBoy

So it seems most tables (alphabetically) up to Flight 2000 have been updated, with a few notable exceptions. Nothing after that, though, which means a ton of tables still need updates.

What's particularly strange is that some of the tables listed in the above changelog did not push updates.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Hopefully Season 7 has the Bally Corvette table. That would be great.

And Big Bang Bar, of course, but I'll keep my expectations low for that one.

Shaneus

It's good that so many are updated, but none of them update in the Manage Tables menu, you just have to play each table individually and see if it wants to download it or not.

Edit: Apparently Update Tables doesn't work, but if you do Download Owned, it gets them all. Or something.

We better fucking get Embryon. I can't believe we are getting another Premiere.

Yes I can.
You have excellent taste, my friend. Can't believe Paragon won (just like Xenon won that poll so many moons ago, despite not being from the era the poll was asking about! Flash should've won that, too. Argh).

kramer

It's good that so many are updated, but none of them update in the Manage Tables menu, you just have to play each table individually and see if it wants to download it or not.

Rather than click Update All, click Download Tables and it will start downloading all the updated tables.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
You have excellent taste, my friend. Can't believe Paragon won (just like Xenon won that poll so many moons ago, despite not being from the era the poll was asking about! Flash should've won that, too. Argh).

Flash would be great to have, it would be nice to have all of Steve Ritchie's Williams tables.

I want Stern Pinball Arcade to have Terminator 3, though.

Shaneus

So there are several tables now that completely crash the TPA app on iOS, at least on iPad. They worked before the update, and they're not even new tables.

Good going, Farsight.

Ugh.

Shaneus

Stern has just announced...
Star Wars
3.jpg

5.jpg

(Premium pictured)

Dare I say it, but Ritchie has lost it. At least GoT had some interesting shots, this just looks phoned-in and generic as hell. The art looks woefully generic and cheap (harkening back to Stern's good ol' cut-and-paste days?) as well, like something from one of those cheap kiddie pinball machines.

At least this doesn't give Heighway nor JJP anything to worry about, especially given (I think?) the premium will be priced around the same as a base-model Dialed-In/Alien.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha...harsh, but fair. And here I was all excited to maybe get a machine to replace my Metallica Premium. Is there even any art or is it all just movie shots? Doubly disappointing when you see all the cool original art Fantasy Flight has done for their Star Wars games.

Shaneus

Haha...harsh, but fair. And here I was all excited to maybe get a machine to replace my Metallica Premium. Is there even any art or is it all just movie shots? Doubly disappointing when you see all the cool original art Fantasy Flight has done for their Star Wars games.
I believe all the art is straight from the movie. Or Disney or something.

Since posted I did notice the kind of cool looking warp wireform between the slingshots, but that's the only interesting looking thing on there. Everything else there looks pretty bland.

I think you'd be better off spending your money elsewhere, TBH. If you don't care about theme, Dialed In looks like a winner. Or go for Alien.

In unrelated TPA News: Goin' Nuts has leapfrogged every other table in the collection to become my most hated table. Just getting the first two balls under control so I can actually reach standard/wizard goals feels like a complete coin toss. I can see why only ten of these things exist in reality. Maybe they made hundreds and the owners of the majority of them sent them into a woodchipper in a cathartic rage.

HotHamBoy

Stern has just announced...
Star Wars
3.jpg

5.jpg

(Premium pictured)

Dare I say it, but Ritchie has lost it. At least GoT had some interesting shots, this just looks phoned-in and generic as hell. The art looks woefully generic and cheap (harkening back to Stern's good ol' cut-and-paste days?) as well, like something from one of those cheap kiddie pinball machines.

At least this doesn't give Heighway nor JJP anything to worry about, especially given (I think?) the premium will be priced around the same as a base-model Dialed-In/Alien.

That looks like complete shit.

Man, what happened to Ritchie? Lawlor is still killing it, Dialed In is amazing. I'm not a fan of GoT really. I tried very hard to like it.

Ghostbusters *Premium* is pretty great but Batman 66 and Aerosmith have disappointed. Batman is at least carried by a great theme and art direction, Aerosmith is just lame and really ugly.

Sad to see another turd but at least the days of Stern being the only game in town are over. Hopefully Nordman brings hs A-Game with Elvira 3.

Shaneus

Man, what happened to Ritchie? Lawlor is still killing it, Dialed In is amazing. I'm not a fan of GoT really. I tried very hard to like it.

Ghostbusters *Premium* is pretty great but Batman 66 and Aerosmith have disappointed. Batman is at least carried by a great theme and art direction, Aerosmith is just lame and really ugly.

Sad to see another turd but at least the days of Stern being the only game in town are over. Hopefully Nordman brings hs A-Game with Elvira 3.
I really don't know, to address your question. He's old, doesn't have new ideas anymore (just compare Star Trek to Spiderman), but this seems even more unimaginative. At least GoT kind of had some super tight shots and loops a la No Fear (which this Star Wars kind of feels a little like) but it's like he's become a Borg parody of himself, taking little bits from each machine in his past to put something together. I can see some GoT, No Fear, Star Trek and maybe some Spiderman.

I think the only real resurgence in design that we'll see is when Keith Elwin finally knocks out his first official table for Stern (crossing fingers it's Archer). Until then, we'll be getting the same old over and over, at least from Stern.

I agree with you too, at least on BM66. I played it and didn't mind it for the new tech that was used, but the playfield and everything on it just felt cheap. Like, Stern Transformers-era cheap :/

Blu10

I couldn't disagree more on the Aerosmith art direction. I think it looks amazing.

HotHamBoy

I agree with you too, at least on BM66. I played it and didn't mind it for the new tech that was used, but the playfield and everything on it just felt cheap. Like, Stern Transformers-era cheap :/

The art direction is ace but the table and the build quality feels incredibly cheap. Really insulting considering the price and what it gets you. The LE is garbage compared to JJ for the same price.

I couldn't disagree more on the Aerosmith art direction. I think it looks amazing.

Looks garish and fug to me. Too busy. The LCD looks so, so bad. Washed out, flat, primary colors with shitty color relationships and low-budget flash animation. The text graphics look like fuckin Power Point.

Shaneus

Bride of Pinbot won't load on my new iPad (9.7" 2017 model ). Does anybody have the same problem?
Yup! There were a bunch of tables that didn't work with the latest update on iOS. Most have been fixed, but won't auto-download. If you delete them and redownload they will be fixed, but BoP was NOT one of the ones that was fixed.

You'd think with a month off they'd have learned to not let severe bugs like this through the cracks. Argh.

Shaneus

Pardon my ignorance, but why does Stern have a separate app?
Licensing. And probably requested by Stern themselves to separate it from all the other tables.

If you're Stern and want to sell people on a game, it's better to say "Download the Stern Pinball Arcade app and pick a table" than "Download Pinball Arcade and look for the Stern machines".

Velinos

I realized that I haven't posted here in a while. The collection has been growing. Three months ago I picked up Heavy Metal Meltdown. This past weekend I got Data East Star Wars. Both are in fantastic condition, especially Star Wars which looks almost brand new. That puts me at four machines now.

ZCmC9DWl.jpg

f5E6zZsl.jpg

I am eyeing up Total Nuclear Annihilation for game #5. I got to play the white wood at MGC and it has an amazing soundtrack and a nice 80's Bally feel to the gameplay, which I like.

HotHamBoy

In case you missed it, Gottlieb Premier's Wipe Out released on Friday.

Before breaking out the pitch forks I'll tell you that this is actually a pretty decent Premier.

Here's the clue for next month:

f52acbfe48d8313139f1e29c1c907231.jpg

*shudder*

So it seems Firepower II is a given. I'm not absolutely convinced that it is FP2 or that it's not a two-pack, which is what they did with the 2nd El Dorado. FP2 is almost identical to FP with only minor variations.

Why is there so much emphasis on the amount of people being fired in the clue? Seems weird, maybe I'm reading too much into it. Pretty big waste of a spot of it's just FP2, though. It's like a big fuck you to those of us begging for all the other Williams tables out there. (Like Fire!)

HotHamBoy

Still hoping for the Bally Corvette table.

Isn't Firepower II just the same as the first, but with minor rule changes?

Firepower_compressed_playfield.jpg

DSC02736.jpg

The variances are subtle, like the kickout saucer being replaced with a ramp and the alignment of the target banks. Different sound package, too.

Is it worth a spot by itself? Probably not. But I haven't played one IRL.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Was cool to hear Nate from Coast 2 Coast podcast seemingly back at it. He was a big part of what got me super into pinball. He was more positive about the recent Stern releases than I expected but maybe it's easier to be a little more positive when you're somewhat removed from the scene for a while. I'm sure his criticism will be getting him in trouble with them in no time. :p

Pinball-wise down here we have California Extreme coming up. Aka the pinball/arcade show that would be a 10/10 if they didn't literally sell three times more tickets than they should. :/

Shaneus

Agreed, it's been ages since he's done an episode and I'm in a similar boat with being away from pinball in general for a while (buying a house does that).

Top Bottom