• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Youse Guys" a bad phrase?

rudger

Guys has been gender neutral for at least 20+ years. Even saw an article recently describing how Friends helped push it as a gender neutral you all. I was watching a show the other day starring all women, made to appeal to women, written by women - they were constantly throwing around the term "guys". You're fine.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Objectively y all is better. Not gender specific.

Also doesn't depend on the horrible TV show Friends.

I can honestly say I never heard anybody say "You Guys/Youse Guys". I've only heard it on the old Electric Company (which Sloth was imitating in The Goonies), and on South Park because that's basically what Cartman says to his friends when trying to convince them of something but they aren't having any of it "Youse Guys?".

The most similar I've heard often hear in LA is "Hey guys!"

I understand what your argument is but it's still an argument for why it should change which is different from an argument for what it is. "You guys" IS gender neutral because humans who speak English use the term in a gender neutral way, you disagreeing with it's use doesn't change it's meaning. You can't argue your way into changing lexicon. One day it might evolve to not be gender neutral but that day is not today.
You don't, though. The point of the argument is "is 'you guys' gender-neutral?" You even say I have an argument for why it should be changed. You literally just admitted that it is a male term.

There is more to than just how we use the phrase. It's like saying grandfathered is gender-neutral when it actually references males.

The below highlights (been repeated multiple times in the thread) of how absurd "you guys" is gender-neutral because there would be 100% backlash against going for a female term... even though it would still be gender-neutral:

I'm gonna start using gals like it's a gender neutral term

Wish me luck everyone!

rudger

I wouldn't even feel comfortable saying "you gals" to a group of women. Gals is a weird word.

I point this out anytime somebody objects to referring to a group of women as "girls". Women is somewhat formal, ladies more so. The informal, which was gals, has simply fallen out of fashion leaving a weird gap in the language for speaking informally about a group of women where men have guys and boys.

You don't, though. The point of the argument is "is 'you guys' gender-neutral?" You even say I have an argument for why it should be changed. You literally just admitted that it is a male term.

There is more to than just how we use the phrase. It's like saying grandfathered is gender-neutral when it actually references males.

The below highlights (been repeated multiple times in the thread) of how absurd "you guys" is gender-neutral because there would be 100% backlash against going for a female term... even though it would still be gender-neutral:

Your argument falls apart when you realize the word guy didn't always mean "a man". It used to just be a name. But over time the name became a term for men, i.e. The meaning changed over time due to common usage. the meaning can change again.

Yup. Sure, many people might perceive "you guys" as gender-neutral, even women, but that doesn't just make it so in all cases. It's just anecdotal evidence. There will be people who take umbrage with it. And you can't change that.

A couple of months ago, Transport for London announced that it'll go for more gender neutral announcements. They changed "ladies and gentlemen" to "everyone" as in good morning everyone.

Xe4

Banned
Yup. Sure, many people might perceive "you guys" as gender-neutral, even women, but that doesn't just make it so in all cases. It's just anecdotal evidence. There will be people who take umbrage with it. And you can't change that.

A couple of months ago, Transport for London announced that it'll go for more gender neutral announcements. They changed "ladies and gentlemen" to "everyone" as in good morning everyone.
I'd argue that's different. Ladies and gentlemen implies you're referring to either a guy or girl.

If you say, "my lady" for instance, or the equivalent for a gentleman you're specifically referring to a man or woman. By saying ladies and gentlemen you're excluding someone who isn't a lady or gentleman (specifically transgender people).

Saying "you guys" is just a catch all term for everyone, and has been for a while now.

I'd argue that's different. Ladies and gentlemen implies you're referring to either a guy or girl.

If you say, "my lady" for instance, or the equivalent for a gentleman you're specifically referring to a man or woman. By saying ladies and gentlemen you're excluding someone who isn't a lady or gentleman (specifically transgender people).

Saying "you guys" is just a catch all term for everyone, and has been for a while now.
You're breaking your own logic. Because by saying "you guys", you're also excluding certain people much like "ladies and gentlemen". Just because anecdotal evidence says it's a catch-all term for everyone (when did everyone get a say on that?), doesn't mean everyone is fine with it. It's a cognitive bias.

Top Bottom