• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I overreacting about my girlfriend?

ironmang

"Toxic masculinity" is comparing a man being upset with his girlfriend dancing with a stranger for 20 seconds to a woman feeling jealous about her fiancé paying to be surrounded by naked strippers

I mean I probably would feel some kind of way if I were the OP, but, perspective.

First off, we weren't trying to throw a party with strippers LOL. We were just going to go to a baseball game, eat some steaks, go out drinking, then come home the next day.

That's one of many ways to give examples of it.

Another is the idea that a guy should be upset/jealous with his girlfriend dancing with a stranger for 20 seconds at all to begin with.
That very notion is toxic masculinity, without needing to compare it to anything else.

Drunk girlfriend dancing with a stranger that's shown interest in a club is not something most men would be ok with. Even if you reverse the situation I highly doubt that's something women would be ok with either.

What's the buzzword to explain the reverse situation? I just figured "boundaries" was the explanation for both.

Nekofrog

Banned
First off, we weren't trying to throw a party with strippers LOL. We were just going to go to a baseball game, eat some steaks, go out drinking, then come home the next day.

Drunk girlfriend dancing with a stranger that's shown interest in a club is not something most men would be ok with. Even if you reverse the situation I highly doubt that's something women would be ok with either.

What's the buzzword to explain the reverse situation? I just figured "boundaries" was the explanation for both.

Yeah cause they're insecure little fuckboys. It's called toxic masculinity for a reason.

Yeah cause they're insecure little fuckboys. It's called toxic masculinity for a reason.

What the
fuck
are you talking about? How many women do you know would be totally fine with their drunk boyfriend leaving them at a club to dance with a girl who's shown clear interest in them? What? It has NOTHING to do with masculinity.

_Ryo_

I believe I already said I wouldn't care. I forgot to mention I"m not too into monogamy right now and would probably had tried to seduce other dancers as well. Hmm. That may be important.

But further replies in the thread though do indeed make it seem like you drastically overreacted and you are fighting your own jealousy and insecurities.

Meier

If you have an issue with her dancing with other people that you don't know, maybe it's not a good idea to go clubbing as it is conducive to that sort of thing. Or more realistically you'll probably just have to learn to deal with it especially if it's just innocent.

cromofo

If you have an issue with her dancing with other people that you don't know, maybe it's not a good idea to go clubbing as it is conducive to that sort of thing. Or more realistically you'll probably just have to learn to deal with it especially if it's just innocent.

Or maybe talk to her, since they're in a relationship or something.

_Ryo_

Communication is the most important part of any relationship and you should definitely talk to her, in a respectful way, when you are both sober. If it's not something you can live with and she wants to keep doing it, then try to find a solution, if she wants to keep doing it regardless, and you're going to continue to not like it, it's time to move on.

If you're not comfortable with your partner dancing with others of your attracted sex and you've discussed this with them, that's entirely reasonable.

If you use it as an excuse to gaslight them and reduce their autonomy in the relationship, that's toxic.

sn00zer

I dont understand why anyone goes to gaf. Ever self help thread can be summarized as such.

Go to the doctor.
Go to a therapist.
Talk to the them and not to gaf.
Do the thing but consider having back ups.

I dont understand why anyone goes to gaf. Ever self help thread can be summarized as such.

Go to the doctor.
Go to a therapist.
Talk to the them and not to gaf.
Do the thing but consider having back ups.

If only somebody would say it would work better if you ran Linux, we'd have the makings of a party.

You're being unreasonable. "Toxic masculinity" has nothing to do with not wanting your girl to dance with other men.

Kinda does. Why is it your business what another human being does of their own free will?

Dunno if toxic femininity is a thing, but being over-possessive isn't an exclusively male trait, from what I hear.

If your partner dances with other people and you don't like it, you learned something about them, and you both get a chance to learn how to be a grown-up. Be honest, be loving. Don't use the c-word. That's "cheating", by the way. Being honest and loving is not cheating.

Anticol

Banned
So your girl dances for 20 secs with 2 random dudes and you're going to bounce? Sounds like you aren't that confident in your ability to retain a relationship with her. Sounds like one of those hard look in the mirror moments trying to fool yourself to me.

M8 I havent read the whole thread but if OP discussed this beforehand with her gf and she still did it right in front of him after he stated he felt uncomfortable with her doing it and she goes and grinds a guy like nothing well I cant blame him to be upset and if she does this in front of him it is possible for her to do worse stuff behing his back.

If this was the other way around and she was the one getting upset I am sure the reaction would be different.

cromofo

Kinda does. Why is it your business what another human being does of their own free will?

Dunno if toxic femininity is a thing, but being over-possessive isn't an exclusively male trait, from what I hear.

If your partner dances with other people and you don't like it, you learned something about them, and you both get a chance to learn how to be a grown-up. Be honest, be loving. Don't use the c-word. That's "cheating", by the way. Being honest and loving is not cheating.

It's a relationship between two people. A level of understanding and boundaries above just another human being.

If your partner dances with other people and you don't like it, you learned something about them, and you both get a chance to learn how to be a grown-up.

Uh no, you should talk to your partner and tell them it's something that bothers you and then assess and decide further - like a real grown up. At least that's how I see it.

Don't use the c-word. That's "cheating", by the way.

Dude what

Parody or reality? Trump broke our universe.

NoRéN;250007325 said:
Linux doesn't get drunk and dance with randos and gets viruses.

Linux.

Well, sure - considering it's sat in the corner all alone with no one interacting with it.
It's probably sudoing itself.

Communication is the most important part of any relationship and you should definitely talk to her, in a respectful way, when you are both sober. If it's not something you can live with and she wants to keep doing it, then try to find a solution, if she wants to keep doing it regardless, and you're going to continue to not like it, it's time to move on.

This. Wtf. Explain. I'm adult enough to concede when I'm insecure about something and yup I'm insecure about another dude dancing with my wife. I'm just not cool with it. I'll never be OK with that shit.

Now did I go to my wife and say "you're not allowed!"? No. I just explained my feelings and she respects them. I didn't demand she behave a certain way. She chose on her own to be easy with that shit.

It's not that hard.

NoRéN

This. Wtf. Explain. I'm adult enough to concede when I'm insecure about something and yup I'm insecure about another dude dancing with my wife. I'm just not cool with it. I'll never be OK with that shit.

Now did I go to my wife and say "you're not allowed!"? No. I just explained my feelings and she respects them. I didn't demand she behave a certain way. She chose on her own to be easy with that shit.

It's not that hard.
You would be surprised. For some people a thought of a serious, one on one conversation is scary. Passive aggressiveness is easier for them as it's similar so social media posting. It's quick and doesn't require much thought.

I bought a copy of Bayonetta 1 to see what the fuss was about, but I couldn't make it through the tutorial to play the game. I like what I saw of the graphic design.

I'm also still stuck on one of the potatOS levels of Portal 2, which is officially my favourite game ever.

Oh where were we? Dancing. Yes. Dance the night away.

But don't forget who's taking you home, and in whose arms you're gonna be,
So darling, save the last dance for me.

It's not that hard.

This person gets it. Listen to them.

NoRéN;250009626 said:
You would be surprised. For some people a thought of a serious, one on one conversation is scary.

And thank goodness that's the case - otherwise we wouldn't have nearly as many interesting threads here.

It's a relationship between two people. A level of understanding and boundaries above just another human being.

Whilst I agree that there is an understanding and there are boundaries, I honestly see no role here for coercion.

Speaking of which:

Uh no, you should talk to your partner and tell them it's something that bothers you and then assess and decide further - like a real grown up. At least that's how I see it.

It seems we both agree on how to be an adult. If I've failed to express myself as well as you have, I apologise.

Dude what

I had said: 'Don't use the c-word. That's "cheating", by the way.'

I don't think that word should be in any adult lexicon. It's not a word a husband should use about a wife, or vice versa. You cannot build trust and love when you designate certain autonomous conduct as cheating.

But what do I know?

NoRéN;250007325 said:
Linux doesn't get drunk and dance with randos and gets viruses.

Linux.

#include <openssh>

OpenBSD is pandering to Linux, smugly, while reminding him that she's one of the main reasons why he doesn't get viruses.

Skeeter49

If it really bothers you, maybe cut back on the drinking and see if it's still an issue.

Or just talk to her and make sure it's just her trying to have fun, and not with any intentions that are sexual or anything.

Are you talking about in this instance only, or do you believe that no spouse/s can ever use the word "cheating" to describe the behavior of their partner/s, regardless of what the behavior is?

Like, do you truly believe there's no such thing as cheating on your husband/wife?

That's a good point. For some time on this thread I've been emphasizing best practice. I have no experience of a toxic relationship, only a very beneficial one lasting over three decades in which two quite normally horny people somehow got themselves into a state of monogamy without even trying.

So I should admit that I don't know shit about dishonest people. I seem to have effectively weeded them out of my life during my teens.

So yeah, you got me. I cannot help anybody who fears that they may be betrayed. That's a real weakness of any advice I might give. You need to have the ability to develop trust in your loved one. And that means you don't risk using words that might bruise them.

I called my wife a bad word only once, in an argument, and I will always regret it.

That's a good point. For some time on this thread I've been emphasizing best practice. I have no experience of a toxic relationship, only a very beneficial one lasting over three decades in which two quite normally horny people somehow got themselves into a state of monogamy without even trying.

So I should admit that I don't know shit about dishonest people. I seem to have effectively weeded them out of my life during my teens.

So yeah, you got me. I cannot help anybody who fears that they may be betrayed. That's a real weakness of any advice I might give. You need to have the ability to develop trust in your loved one. And that means you don't risk using words that might bruise them.

I called my wife a bad word only once, in an argument, and I will always regret it.

This is a good post.

Good people will be good without the need for fencing.
Not-so-good people will be not-so-good no matter how much you try to cage them.

So you're saying, because you've never personally experienced being cheated on, you believe that it's wrong for anyone to ever use that word about their partner's behavior, regardless of whether or not the person feels as if s/he has been cheated on?

I've already owned up to the fact that I can only suggest best practice. Because, you know...

There is a reason for my point. That is that, once you use the C-word in a relationship, you can't ever take it back.

Also, you seem to believe that a word, if hurtful, should never be used in a relationship, regardless of whether or not it is true?

I think that is up to the relationship and the particular person. But honesty and respect is pretty important, and words are cheap. Both of them can last a lifetime. The individual calculus in any particular relationship is far beyond my capacity to compute. A word, once unleashed, will ricochet forever, hurting both innocent and guilty, assailant and victim.

Speaking of assailants, I think I would hate to be in a relationship where I felt that I or anyone else I cared for were at risk. To those who feel they may be in danger and do not trust their partners, I would encourage you to seek external help with a view to achieving safety for you and all your loved ones.

Wait, why not?

Because you have just expressed distrust in a most unambiguous way. If you accuse a partner you trust of cheating, at best you are abusing them. If you don't trust them, tell them so and listen carefully to their response.

If you use the C-word, though, maybe it's time to work out if you have a relationship or a transaction. Is there trust or not?

OP's girl when hes on the dancefloor and when hes off the dancefloor

8_mandatory_gifs_of_the_week_6_1_17.gif

This is actually very true lol.

Loki

Count of Concision
Something which I think a lot of folks are either ignoring or glossing over is that fact that he didn't say she just danced with a random guy - she intentionally went over to a guy who was previously trying to hit on her and who was clearly into her after he had left the group after realizing she wasn't single. I'm not necessarily saying that that makes it verboten, but it does color the action a bit imo. It's different than going over to a random guy who you had no previous contact with and who has expressed no overt interest in you.

Again, people are overlooking/glossing over the above.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Right but man you never know what can happen.

I mean, when I was at the airport with my girl we hit up the bar past security and some dude had the audacity to buy a drink and have it sent to her when I was right there.

Then all of a sudden she left me outright, went over to him and ducked underneath his table and blew him like, right there. Then she went on a week long vacation with him, got knocked up, and here I am raising his kid.

All because I didn't like, pee on her to mark my territory of something.

This sort of thing happens. It's really real life. It can happen to you too, OP.

Or OP is over reacting a bit. Cool off. The way you handle these kinds of things can make you look better or worse. This...ain't gonna end with you looking better unless you shrug it off.

Why in the world are you in this position right now? Like, I'm surprised not many others touched on this post because holy shit...

Not trying to give you grief in any means but I'm insanely curious as to how this developed.

If this was a joke then hey, you got me.

Sai-kun

Banned
Why in the world are you in this position right now? Like, I'm surprised not many others touched on this post because holy shit...

Not trying to give you grief in any means but I'm insanely curious as to how this developed.

Bruh
Really
Lmao

wandering

Banned

Dude

Top Bottom