• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

That will still happen in the update, just less ability to get your Titan refresh (tbh that one would probably give it to you since it's like 4 Titan kills).

I didn't mean that kind of damage wasn't possible anymore. I meant that I won't be able to do it anymore if I give up Nuke Eject for Overcore.

I had another nuke eject which was even more satisfying. Same map but I'm not sure if it's the same game. I was in the area where you take the back way out of the bottom ship. Called my Titan and got my battery but was killed while waiting for it. Got upset and ran back there, got killed by the same dude again. Got upset and ran back there but jumped in my Titan instead but the dude was still there. I really wanted to kill the guy but couldn't and he kept harassing me.

He tried to bait me by having his Titan drop on me but it barely missed, but I'm trapped now. Instead of getting in his Titan he rodeos me once successfully and at that point I'm like "fuck this, I'm blowing up his Titan". So I just stand in the dome losing life purposely until I've lost enough and his Titan finally starts up on its own. I nuke eject and manage to take him out along with his Titan. Moments like this and the video I posted above makes me want to keep running Nuke eject even with the nerf.

Greddleok

I wouldn't mind the titan charge nerf so much if the titans had a regenerating shield. The reason I like Nuclear Eject is because a doomed or low health Ronin is practically useless.

What am I going to do? Go die instantly, or nuclear eject and get my full health titan back?

Arttemis

So did the big update come out yet? I haven't played in a few days, so the last I experienced was the small update that rebalanced some weapons.

X-Frame

I recently "discovered" Northstar and she is immediately my favorite Titan now, where Ion once was.

I love how much damage she can do with critical shots. Also, with Threat Optics she is wonderful against Pilots, in my opinion. I am sure Tone is better (rarely ever tried her), but with the red overlay to all enemies it's a massive advantage.

I feel like all the other Northstar loadout options are situational, but highlighting all enemies is a benefit all the time and to me is too good to pass up.

I can't wait for her buff coming soon as Flight Core is just horrendous.

Arrrammis

I recently "discovered" Northstar and she is immediately my favorite Titan now, where Ion once was.

I love how much damage she can do with critical shots. Also, with Threat Optics she is wonderful against Pilots, in my opinion. I am sure Tone is better (rarely ever tried her), but with the red overlay to all enemies it's a massive advantage.

I feel like all the other Northstar loadout options are situational, but highlighting all enemies is a benefit all the time and to me is too good to pass up.

I can't wait for her buff coming soon as Flight Core is just horrendous.

Northstar is by far my most used titan (1 day 21 hours vs. Scorch (my second most used) at 11 hours 30 minutes)), she is phenomenal. I used the threat optics too, but recently I've started using the other kits more, primarily double tether. You can Throw them down on a spot and they will stay until the are triggered or destroyed, so I make a habit of just throwing them down at choke points around the map. Plus, when I'm feeling evil,
the double tether keeps them in one spot so they can't move at all, nuke ejecting on their face is a guaranteed kill if they're not using Ronin
. Also the mobility buffs (dash cooldown from 6 seconds to 5 and no cooldown penalty for using triple dash) should be extremely useful.

The only titan I really have trouble with 1v1 are good Ronins, but most of the time I can keep critting them with the rifle to send them flying backwards, and keep throwing tethers at the ground while I back up.

Arrrammis

Yeah, I never understood how Flight Core could be so awful in damage output. I honestly thought they should swap Tone's with Northstar as part of a way to rebalance the two.

Flight core actually can do slightly more damage than Salvo Core, but Flight core is completely useless against moving targets. I only really use flight core when I have either tethered or cornered my target so they can't really move.
and then I get doomed anyways because I'm hovering 100 feet in the air with no shielding, no boost abilities, and generally no way to stop the rest of his team from playing duck hunt with my poor Northstar.

Dez_

I've spent too much time with Ion and now I feel like I can't play as any other titan. Currently trying to relearn how to play as Scorch.

Also, as an aside, I put this game down for a few weeks to focus on other things. Man, it always takes me a good while to get back into multiplayer games. I've always considered myself pretty average at fast paced shooters, but I realized I was weak link in my team for the first few matches. Feels bad. It's also probably a bad a idea to start experimenting with the more unorthodox weapons in the arsenal.

Gator86

Melee in this game is just fucking trash. It's simply awful. I wonder if Respawn will ever manage to fix it. The amount of times that I kill someone with it or get killed with it and don't just shake my head is embarrassingly low. I've lunged halfway across the map to punch someone before and also got in fistfights with people where we each miss 4 or 5 times then panic and run away. They need to just move it to two melee hits for a kill. Instant kill melees, aside from executions or from behind, is just a decrepit relic from when Modern Warfare was the biggest thing in gaming. Everyone else has moved on from it - Respawn should too.

How come there's no option to report hackers in-game? I scrambled around the options and couldn't find that shit anywhere. Ran into my first aim-botter and that shit is infuriating.

X-Frame

What causes your Titan to gain XP?

Because for example I played a game and got plenty of pilot kills and yet gained no Titan XP. Maybe it was because I lost -- so next game again I got at least 6-7 pilot kills in Attrition and we won and got a smidge of XP.

Other times, my Titan progress bar goes up almost a full level. I'm confused.

Gator86

Gen 9 now and I've finally fallen in love with the Eva-8. Respawn did a great job making so many diverse weapons. 5 days of playtime and I'm still finding new things I love about the game.

Also, their sound design people deserve endless props. This game in surround sound is amazing. I can track Titans from inside buildings on sound alone as a pilot. Every gun has a distinct sound you can recognize from across the map, making it easy to hunt down every Devotion asshole.

Auto titan and sentry AI seem to have an unaddressed bug that lets them insta lock if you were spotted earlier than broke line of sight / died and came back.

AI in the game have a concept of a "last known position", i.e. if you were taking fire behind a wall, dodged out of sight, the AI will remember that you were last there, so if you pop out behind cover from the same direction you hid behind it, it will track you immediately. Maybe it doesn't forget the last known position soon enough though. Do you have a gif or something that illustrates this problem so I can forward to the relevant people?

tsundoku

AI in the game have a concept of a "last known position", i.e. if you were taking fire behind a wall, dodged out of sight, the AI will remember that you were last there, so if you pop out behind cover from the same direction you hid behind it, it will track you immediately. Maybe it doesn't forget the last known position soon enough though. Do you have a gif or something that illustrates this problem so I can forward to the relevant people?

?
The ai can just see you through walls and it persists through death

You can go into any building with 2 windows and aggro a sentry or enhanced titan and walk away from the window and be killed the second you touch the precipice of the other window

also if you die and still no one else has drawn the ire of that sentry, and you foolishly spawn and walk back into the same building and go up to either window you'll be immediately gunned down

The chip / sentries would definitely be useless if you could trivially trick them like a non enhanced auto titan

?
The ai can just see you through walls and it persists through death

You can go into any building with 2 windows and aggro a sentry or enhanced titan and walk away from the window and be killed the second you touch the precipice of the other window

also if you die and still no one else has drawn the ire of that sentry, and you foolishly spawn and walk back into the same building and go up to either window you'll be immediately gunned down

The chip / sentries would definitely be useless if you could trivially trick them like a non enhanced auto titan

The AI seeing through walls is definitely a bug, like the gif that Izuna linked. Some walls in our game apparently aren't flagged correctly with the property that blocks AI vision/shots. That's a separate issue from this problem, where you can break line of sight, pop back out and get immediately shot. That's probably the last known position working, but maybe too aggressively, and not forgetting soon enough. It also sounds like it should definitely forget the last known position if you die. Regardless, I can bring it to the attention of the relevant people, but gifs etc showing the issue clearly would be useful.

The last known position stuff is garbage though when the turret isn't even facing you directly and it insta-swivels (same with auto titans), and its between deaths too. It also shouldn't track last known position for more than one player at a time, which it seems to do right now. I do have video. I'll see if I can post it.

After hitting max rank on the Xbox One version, I'm finally moving over to the PS4 version and I'm a bit shocked by the population. 7,000 people on a Sunday evening when a national holiday is the following day and most are off school or work?

Is this normal on the PS4 version?

So, who are the people at Respawn who keep pushing the sheer bullshit that is arc nades freezing up controls as a pilot, sentry turrets, and smart pistols? Please stop. Thanks. Also no more goddamn auto vaulting. It feels like awful and is a death sentence and I literally NEVER want to do it.

Gator86

After finally hitting max rank on Xbox I'm finally moving over to the PS4 version and I'm a bit shocked by the population. 7,000 people on a Sunday evening when a national holiday is the following day and most are off school or work?

Is this normal on the PS4 version?

PS4 pop tends to drift between 8k and 17k. Anecdotally, I'd say that's been on the low end recently. Patches matter it turns out.

I had know idea how bad it was, but yeah, it's bad :(

Hemlocks
Devotions
Flatlines

Everywhere

It's pretty bad right now. Devotions and Tones/Ronins running nuke everywhere. Patch can't get here fast enough.

Patch is making it a toggle actually, thank goodness. At least for Titan rodeo

Would be rad if it was a standard pilot thing tho ala Clamber in Halo 5

Titan rodeo is only half the equation. My pilot still finds knee high ledges he insists on climbing up INCREDIBLY SLOWLY. Crashsite being the worst offender by far. That map is awful and should be deleted from the game. Same with complex.

Also, Arc Nades remain an absolute CANCER.

Titan rodeo is only half the equation. My pilot still finds knee high ledges he insists on climbing up INCREDIBLY SLOWLY. Crashsite being the worst offender by far. That map is awful and should be deleted from the game. Same with complex.

Also, Arc Nades remain an absolute CANCER.

Yup, every-time CrashSite shows up on the rotation, I literally roll my eyes and shake my head :(

And yeah, the nerf to non-sense like Devotion can't come soon enough as now there really does feel like a disconnect between the developers intentions with map design and what's actually happening.
A player (like say, myself) should feel like they can pull from anything in the toolbox (in this case, say the SMG R-97) and be competitive. The reality is that this doesn't happen at all and due to all the long range camping/domination, I feel actively discouraged from using anything else besides the R-201, Devotion, Flatline, etc.
The mid-range-game is on a crazy decline and yeah, I do believe it's counter to what Titanfall excels at.

Gator86

Yup, every-time CrashSite shows up on the rotation, I literally roll my eyes and shake my head :(

And yeah, the nerf to non-sense like Devotion can't come soon enough as now there really does feel like a disconnect between the developers intentions with map design and what's actually happening.
A player (like say, myself) should feel like they can pull from anything in the toolbox (in this case, say the SMG R-97) and be competitive. The reality is that this doesn't happen at all and due to all the long range camping/domination, I feel actively discouraged from using anything else besides the R-201, Devotion, Flatline, etc.
The mid-range-game is on a crazy decline and yeah, I do believe it's counter to what Titanfall excels at.

It really doesn't feel like a lot of stuff in this game was thought through. Look at the release game: permacloak, that absurd map hack at launch, devotion/Hemlok, Tone somehow more broken than now, the garbage-ass launch sentries, etc. There are so many inane design choices in this game, it's kind of amazing it turned out as great as it did.

Auto vault remaining in this game but even worse than the first game due to the increased amount of random shit strewn around the maps is goddamn baffling. The inconsistency between maps on runnable, non runnable surfaces, and invisible walls sectioning off the ceiling also make no goddamn sense. The addition of random killzones in the maps.

Ugh.. Its really depressing going from TF1 maps to the rather bad collection we have here with only drydock and eden being "good". TF1 was a better MP game, no doubt.

Izuna

Banned
It doesn't matter who. Every Titanfall 1 vet has called this game garbage for some reason over time... Haha

I think about the sentry tracking... Is it not a bug that they track through Phase Shifts?

I hate Crash Site, but at the same time it's been good to me. Half of my best 10 games of all time came from Crash Site I think. Even with that said I don't understand the design choices they made for the map. It's like it was designed specifically to hinder you from moving fast. I know Complex gets hated on a lot to, but I don't think that map is that bad. I actually kind of like it since you can at least move in that map.

It really doesn't feel like a lot of stuff in this game was thought through. Look at the release game: permacloak, that absurd map hack at launch, devotion/Hemlok, Tone somehow more broken than now, the garbage-ass launch sentries, etc. There are so many inane design choices in this game, it's kind of amazing it turned out as great as it did.

I got the game during the Black Friday sale so I only played the MP just a little before the Angel City update. I remember Cloak being really good back then. I think it was even harder to see and you would remain cloaked even after shooting. Was it considered probably the best Tactical back then?

It doesn't matter who. Every Titanfall 1 vet has called this game garbage for some reason over time... Haha

I think about the sentry tracking... Is it not a bug that they track through Phase Shifts?

I'm a TF1 vet and I never called this game garbage... plz stahp

Auto vault remaining in this game but even worse than the first game due to the increased amount of random shit strewn around the maps is goddamn baffling. The inconsistency between maps on runnable, non runnable surfaces, and invisible walls sectioning off the ceiling also make no goddamn sense. The addition of random killzones in the maps

Ugh.. Its really depressing going from TF1 maps to the rather bad collection we have here with only drydock and eden being "good". TF1 was a better MP game, no doubt.

I'm thinking in the pursuit of making the maps more open/organic in layout, yeah, they opened themselves up to inconsistencies like this.
I recall TF1 maps being fairly geometrical at times/a bit boxey, which led to an easier time getting a handle on and understanding their established perimeters and such.
Crash-site is def the biggest offender though when it comes to navigating and getting caught on random shit, constantly.

I'm a Tf1 vet and I didn't? Game is frustrating at times but garbage is just pure hyperbole.

Gator86

I'm a Tf1 vet and I didn't? Game is frustrating at times but garbage is just pure hyperbole.

Agreed. TF2 can be frustrating at times, but it's brilliant. Ive had TF1 for two years and have 30ish hours in the game. Got TF2 at launch and have around 130. 2 is a better, more engaging product, despite its shortcomings.

I got the game during the Black Friday sale so I only played the MP just a little before the Angel City update. I remember Cloak being really good back then. I think it was even harder to see and you would remain cloaked even after shooting. Was it considered probably the best Tactical back then?

It was basically the only passive skill in the game and granted permanent invisibility, even while shooting. The core premise of that is so stupid, I have no idea how it got into the release product. It's just obviously broken as shit for half a dozen different reasons. It makes you wonder if they even playtested it at all.

Greddleok

Some people think it's not as good as the original. Ok. We've heard it 10,000 times from the same people. Can we move on now please?

Alx

Same here. Loved Tf1 and I love Tf2 (I may like it better, even).
After all those hours playing it I won't say I dislike any map, even Complex which I had a hard time getting used to. And I always liked Crash Site, and even more now that I know all its nooks and crannies.
I only wish for more maps now to add some diversity, but the ones we have are all fun.

Zousi

Having lots of fun with the L-Star atm. Seems to fit my erratic playstyle just fine. Also i can't seem to part ways with my boy, the Scorch. Always brings a smile to my face.

Argonomic

Melee in this game is just fucking trash. It's simply awful. I wonder if Respawn will ever manage to fix it. The amount of times that I kill someone with it or get killed with it and don't just shake my head is embarrassingly low. I've lunged halfway across the map to punch someone before and also got in fistfights with people where we each miss 4 or 5 times then panic and run away. They need to just move it to two melee hits for a kill. Instant kill melees, aside from executions or from behind, is just a decrepit relic from when Modern Warfare was the biggest thing in gaming. Everyone else has moved on from it - Respawn should too.

Some Pilot melee improvements have been made locally and are being put through the paces.

Top Bottom