• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Assassin's Creed 3 screenshots

KorrZ

The only game he ever blended in was in the first one. He's looked ridiculous and out of place in all the others.

Even in the first one, I mean sure he had the monk looking robe, don't mind the long sword, daggers, belt and shoulder full of throwing knives though, I'm just a monk guys!

Can't believe people really would complain about these things.

ironcreed

Banned
Looks about 100 fold better than I imagined in my mind and keeps looking better with each pic we see. The timing for this kind of change could not be better either. Let's just hope they nail it, as it is looking slick as hell so far.

Jtrizzy

That PC version sure is going to look swell :p

Yup. Revelations is breathtaking at 1080p60 on my 50" plasma. It isn't demanding either, hopefully they push it more with this game. I also hope you can play through the game without the hood on.

Derrick01

Banned
No need to play it, if you were disappointed that Brotherhood was just an expansion then Revelations (and it's regressions) will put you off even more.

Waiting till 3 so the feeling is fresh and has a nice novelty is better then slogging through Revelations just for the small things it does well.

Well I did kind of like Brotherhood but there was no question in my mind that it was a full priced expansion pack. Same areas, same characters, mostly same abilities and a really really light main story on Desmond's side. I was ok with it happening 1 time but when they announced Revelations I was almost immediately turned off. But I'll probably buy it during the steam summer sale if they can get it to 15 or under.

Holy Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet! These look great.
*please have dynamic weather*

Seeing these makes me curious about customization (armor, capes, etc). What kind of stuff will we be buying/unlocking!?

rataven

Coming off this, I'm not really seeing it. The gulf between the two in terms of density is pretty huge.

Well, Constantinople has several hundred years of development time on Boston. And you're seeing so much more in that shot due to the elevation changes. Boston isn't going to be as large, and maybe not as topographically varied, but I think it will compare well to previous AC locales like Forli and certain regions of Rome.

Since I finally finished Revelations last week, the setting of AC3 makes a whole lot more sense.

I wonder why they were teasing Victorian London and Samurai's when they clearly had this time period and location in mind.

Can't believe people care so much about how "out of place" he might look. It's not like stealth has been important since the 1st, it looks badass and hey, the only reason you've never seen it before are those damn Templars.

Well I did kind of like Brotherhood but there was no question in my mind that it was a full priced expansion pack. Same areas, same characters, mostly same abilities and a really really light main story on Desmond's side. I was ok with it happening 1 time but when they announced Revelations I was almost immediately turned off. But I'll probably buy it during the steam summer sale if they can get it to 15 or under.
I'm playing it right now and it's not actually bad. The setting isn't as interesting and it feels like it's cutting corners here and there but ultimately I'm kind of enjoying the Ezio/Altair epilogue story it's telling (just don't expect any advancement of Desmond's story). Going in knowing it was originally plotted out as a portable system game (ie the story is ultimately not important to the main Desmond plot) helps with the expectations too. But yeah, enjoying it.

For me it wasn't about money so much as the feeling that I played ACR just to have played it, ACR doesn't give back for the amount of time it takes to beat, even if you want to see the end of Ezio's story it faffs around for hours before it starts going anywhere.

Akainu

suKb8.jpg
Look up! He's right there!!!

Daft_Cat

For me it wasn't about money so much as the feeling that I played ACR just to have played it, ACR doesn't give back for the amount of time it takes to beat, even if you want to see the end of Ezio's story it faffs around for hours before it starts going anywhere.

Yupp.

Entire game could have been condensed into a 10-30 minute tutorial segment for Assassin's Creed 3; especially Desmond's story on animus island. Ezio's a bit more complex, obviously..but Revelations doesn't really end the story to the same degree that Embers does, and that's a stand-alone short film that can pretty much be watched for free.

Jtrizzy

Should I pick up 2 or Brotherhood? I don't care about the story and won't finish the game, I just like to run around and look at the environments.

Daft_Cat

Should I pick up 2 or Brotherhood? I don't care about the story and won't finish the game, I just like to run around and look at the environments.

2 then, without a doubt. Denser cities, and more of them overall. None of them feel the same, either. Brotherhood, despite being a better game with a more engaging story, consists of only one city, even if it is significantly bigger than the ones found in 2.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Coming off this, I'm not really seeing it. The gulf between the two in terms of density is pretty huge.

Aside from the Hagia Sophia and a few minarets, Constantinople's architecture in terms of building size isn't terribly different from what we're seeing in AC3. Most of the buildings in Constantinople are 2 or 3 stories tall. It's just that its landscape is also very hilly, which contributes to its verticality. Rome also had hills enhancing the vertical scale of the gameplay, though most of those were out in the less densely populated areas of the countryside. Venice and Florence, however, were pretty darn flat for the most part, and, aside from a handful of major spikes in height (mostly from church steeples and towers), they were also mainly made up of 2 and 3 story buildings. And in the first game, Jerusalem and Damascus only really got height from minarets, and Acre just had one ridiculously huge church.

So...I really don't see much of a difference here with the cities. The biggest landmarks are going to be smaller than the biggest landmarks in most of the previous cities, yeah, but beyond that, the vast majority of the urban environment should be very similar (and looks very similar in that screenshot, slanted roofs aside). Colonial and early American cities were very closely based on European models, after all.

Looks so rad. Now, give us a combat system that is actually challenging and a greater sense of "stealth" and you've got a winner.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
ubi loves showing pc screens then delaying the shit out of the pc version and adding horrendous DRM. Love the irony...

Didn't Revelations come out 2 weeks later on PC? It's not great but they're getting better.

Concept17

Looks amazing. I love that shot in the woods.

I love the series, but I have yet to play Revalations. (bought too many games this fall before it)

I should probably get around to playing it.

Top Bottom