• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Definitely can already see how much harder they're pushing the licensing this time around. In retrospect Jurassic World's licensing almost looked like a miniature version of all the licensee failing of A New Hope. They definitely underestimated it. Hopefully this renewed push gets us some good stuff.

Still waiting on them Lego sets... How long should it be before those get revealed?

(Also... isn't that a Torosaurs skull? I wonder if it's something they will address, considering Triceratops..)

If you're referencing the study that proposed they were the same species, that was largely debunked.

(also, it don't believe it is a Torosaurus either, holes are too large and the frill shape looks a little different)

Kind of annoying to see the same old pic of Owen in that banner

It's not public yet, but a very similar updated picture of him in his new costume exists. It's weird they didn't use it - he looks better also, less smug, more intense/in awe. Hopefully they put that banner out in the public but with the right Owen.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
If you're referencing the study that proposed they were the same species, that was largely debunked.

(also, it don't believe it is a Torosaurus either, holes are too large and the frill shape looks a little different)

Really? I didn't hear about that. Around the time it was announced, I was at CU Berkeley and they had a setup of skulls that included a baby Triceratops, adolecent Triceratops, and then Torosaurus at the end. I guess the theory wasn't updated then :/ It was a neat setup though.

Really? I didn't hear about that. Around the time it was announced, I was at CU Berkeley and they had a setup of skulls that included a baby Triceratops, adolecent Triceratops, and then Torosaurus at the end. I guess the theory wasn't updated then :/ It was a neat setup though.

Yeah, there's been a few studies since, but "actually nah they're different" didn't garner nearly as much attention as "TRICERATOPS DIDN'T EXIST" for some reason.

Basically there wasn't sufficient evidence to prove ceratopsians could develop frill holes in adulthood, further frill bone density comparisons didn't match what was proposed in the study, and there was evidence of sub-adult Torosaurus specimens that were, well, not Triceratops. It was an interesting theory, but a flawed one that got far too much exposure because of catchy (and erroneous) reporting.

bengraven

It's not public yet, but a very similar updated picture of him in his new costume exists. It's weird they didn't use it - he looks better also, less smug, more intense/in awe. Hopefully they put that banner out in the public but with the right Owen.

You assuming trailer at Super bowl again, then marketing beginning in earnest (like physical shit my disposable income can buy) a few months after?

Sick of hearing these little merch news and yet I can’t buy anything.

Jawmuncher

You assuming trailer at Super bowl again, then marketing beginning in earnest (like physical shit my disposable income can buy) a few months after?

We’d get something earlier. We got a teaser around thanksgiving last time

First trailer is next month around Thanksgiving, TV spot version of the second is Super Bowl in February.

Full second should be Infinity War.

bengraven

First trailer is next month around Thanksgiving, TV spot version of the second is Super Bowl in February.

Full second should be Infinity War.

I don’t know why I was thinking that we didn’t get the first trailer until the Super Bowl. I think you both are right. Weird how I would remember that differently.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Best place to show that off.
Definitely still expect a teaser in November. Mainly to tease at Ian being back.

It'll be ten seconds of darkness with Ian's laughter, then logo. Kinda like the first JW teaser, but better.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Best place to show that off.
Definitely still expect a teaser in November. Mainly to tease at Ian being back.

Too bad my SW tickets are for Saturday... Guess I'll have to watch it online on Friday first. Would've loved to be in a theater first to see the full trailer.

I still remember the days of having to go see a movie in order to watch the trailer...

Snaku

Banned

As both a huge Jurassic and Star Wars fan..

6gRCnAr.gif

Yeah, that was a super bowl ad, right? I remember going to see the movie and kept trying to remember that ad and wondering why it wasn't in the movie.

As much as I loved the TLW ads (and even gave them props in a favorite ads thread), JW's tv spot with the hatching I-Rex is probably my favorite of the Jurassic variety. The effect they put on Claire's "RUUNN!" was really creepy and set a tone for me that I thinks helps in my appreciation of the film.

https://youtu.be/5Nuf4o1S9jk

Amalthea

Banned
https://youtu.be/y6zHUW8PocI

Someone remaking the FPS sections of JP SNES in Unity. Pretty awesome.
Pretty cool. (But misses the goggle screen border. lol)

The other day I finally bought my first CIB SNES game (the only system I had no boxed game for yet for some reason), of course it had to be JP. ;)

The whole tone of the marketing behind TLW was so cool. It really sold the idea of going to the island on a rainy night when everything has been abandoned, it made the place feel ancient and mysterious.

My mind raced as a kid trying to think what could be the dinosaur letting out that cry at the end of the spot.
It's weird how there were no larger (than the Compys) new carnivores in TLW, maybe that's what the Pteranodons were for before they were mostly cut.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn. There is a Dinosaur-Animatronics Roadshow coming to my town and they have two original animatronics from Jurassic Park😱

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Please let it be the Rex. Please. I can die happily if its the Rex.

And Brandon left on his own... He didnt liked the discussionstyle here anymore :(

They could go to ending the series. :3

No really, JP never needed even a sequel, and each successive sequel has strayed further and further from the identity of the original. It was never really something well-built for being franchised without quickly losing sight of itself.

I never got why Spielberg was so obsessed with keeping this specific franchise running, when he’s never been a sequel guy at all (Indiana aside, but that’s very deliberately templated after old action serials so sequels were in the DNA since day 0). Jaws is JP’s closest sibling in the Spielbergverse, and he has always rejected the idea of it receiving sequels.

I kind of agree. JP1 is like E.T. Sure you could force some sequels, but it's better as a one-off. Imagine if we had E.T. Returns and then E.T. Invasion.

Anyway looking forward to seeing Jeff Goldblum back but I just hope he doesn't spend 70% of his screen time retreading his old lines and jokes. We don't need cheap nostalgic callbacks just be Ian Malcom in his full glory.

I kind of agree. JP1 is like E.T. Sure you could force some sequels, but it's better as a one-off. Imagine if we had E.T. Returns and then E.T. Invasion.

Anyway looking forward to seeing Jeff Goldblum back but I just hope he doesn't spend 70% of his screen time retreading his old lines and jokes. We don't need cheap nostalgic callbacks just be Ian Malcom in his full glory.
Funny enough, Spielberg wanted to do an E.T sequel and had a story mapped out where Elliott gets kidnapped by evil aliens and needs to be saved by E.T., but canned it because he wanted the original to maintain its “virginity”.

And I have faith that Bayona will shy away from excess nostalgia mining.

As it turns out, perhaps I jumped the gun on the above gif. Heh.

Was actually coming here exactly for the purpose of asking if there was a back-up plan. Apparently DC is in fact Nick Van Owen.

Jawmuncher

Made a Discord (Currently only me, whiterabit, and Strafer. Brandon might show up too).

https://discord.gg/A7ChDnQ

Since the state of GAF is in question. Figured this would be a good meeting spot to figure out where to go next if things crap out. Whether it's to Jurassic Outpost or else where.

Top Bottom