• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just played the Steam RE Revelaitons demo.

I played the 3DS iteration for over 100 hours [mostly due to Raid Mode] but OHMYGOD! could they have not optimised it for control on the pc?!

Fuck me dead Capcom [I am not an Aussie, but live with someone who lived in Sydney for many years] could you not at least have optimised the pc iteration so that I can actually control the cross hairs FFS?!

Yes it looks gorgeous [relative to its 3DS genesis] but what's the bloody point if it controls like shit.

RARGH!!!!!!11!!!!!

Oh and bloody well "FOUND YOU!!!!111!!!!!!"

Argh!

*sobs quietly in the corner*

[I so wanted to give you my monies again Capcom, sniff]

Salsa

I tried the relevations demo on 3DS and honestly it looks pretty fucking good there. It's $20 too.

I dont have much interest in getting either but I almost bought the eShop version. The 3D is nice.

iavi

Speculation based on the frequency of updates to the registry entry.

I have no idea when it will release though.

Not really a good metric to use, as much as I wish it was. Naruto UNS3 (Full Burst?) is updated almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day, and has been in that state for the past few month, at the least.

http://steamdb.info/app/234670/#section_history

The speculative release date leaked by Amazon for that one was Nov 21.

Aquaria -

Fractal -

Organ Trail: Director's Cut -

Quote to see and Enjoy! Make sure you reply with the one you took.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a huge Company of Heroes 1 fan - easily over 500 hours. This game is a disappointment, in terms of performance. I played the beta, and saw how god awful the frames were, I tried to warn others, but no one listened to me. They said in 2-3 weeks they'll fix it, you're dumb, etc... I know through experience this is never the case. People are starting to realize how god awful the performance in this game is, even at low settings. The gameplay itself is minor in change. It's like Company of Heroes 1.5.

At this stage, it's just not good.

There hasn't been. People are still complaining. Trust me I've been looking at various forums about this, hoping they will fix it. I have a GTX Titan and the game ran like shit during beta (which was about 2 weeks ago). All you can hope for is patch improvements and driver updates. I was getting 74 high, 24 low, and 42 average. Trust me it was more low, than high. The kicker, THE GAME ISN'T EVEN THAT GOOD LOOKING. It looks almost identical to Company of Heroes 1 in terms of graphics.

Someone took Fractal without having the courtesy to say thank you, unless I missed it in my inebriated and well bred haze.

I tried the relevations demo on 3DS and honestly it looks pretty fucking good there. It's $20 too.

I dont have much interest in getting either but I almost bought the eShop version. The 3D is nice.

Well I played the 3DS release for over 100 hours and would consider it well worth it for the Raid Mode on its own.

However, this pc port is pretty shabby on first blush. Yes, it looks far nicer due to the improved visuals but the controls are horrible for someone who has already played the 3DS game to death.

I'm sure a Revelaitons noob could get used to the controls but me? No thanks.

Is the mouse control really that jacked up? I remember it launched with significant acceleration.

I haven't tried it with kb&m controls. I had a 360 controller already plugged in so played the demo with that. It was risible. Frankly, if given the choice between recommending the 3DS game or the PC game I would recommend the former without hesitation.

antitrop

also is Company of Heroes 2 bad or something? I was excited as fuck for it but have to wait due to money/save up for summer sales but why is no one talking about it
Nope, it's really fun, but it runs like shit.

I get 30fps average on an overclocked i7-2600k/GTX 590 and Sethos' average was something like motherfucking 50fps on double Titans.

I refuse to play another minute of that game until they fix it for Nvidia cards. AMD fares slightly better, I guess.

Chivalry and Natural Selection 2 are %66 off this weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/ns2_chivalry_weekend

$8.49 USD each. I've been interested in both, but with all the f2p stuff I'm dabbling in (doter duos, hawken, loadout, blacklight retribution.) I never bothered since I have more multiplayer games to play than ever, and free to boot.

So, steam veterans, will they get cheaper during the steam summer sale, or is this as low as they will get?

Guize?

Any ideas?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's possible they'll see a slightly deeper discount come the Summer Sale, and considering you have other games occupying your time you might as well wait.

Unai

I just played the Steam RE Revelaitons demo.

I played the 3DS iteration for over 100 hours [mostly due to Raid Mode] but OHMYGOD! could they have not optimised it for control on the pc?!

Fuck me dead Capcom [I am not an Aussie, but live with someone who lived in Sydney for many years] could you not at least have optimised the pc iteration so that I can actually control the cross hairs FFS?!

Yes it looks gorgeous [relative to its 3DS genesis] but what's the bloody point if it controls like shit.

RARGH!!!!!!11!!!!!

Oh and bloody well "FOUND YOU!!!!111!!!!!!"

Argh!

*sobs quietly in the corner*

[I so wanted to give you my monies again Capcom, sniff]

Did you disable mouse acceleration and aim assist?

I think this is a sign I will probably like the game.

Contrary to most, I loved AC3, and if you loved the others, get it. Every problem it has are the same problems the others have. It is not a new paradigm in AC gaming, and it tricked a lot of people who don't like the games that much into thinking it was. Its buggy, you don't have enough freedom, and side missions are pointless. What AC game can't you say that about to some degree? Only criticism I will never get is the one against Connor. Non white, non heroic, hugely flawed screwup is a bad thing in todays bald space marine world? I will never understand. Play it.

JaseC

Contrary to most, I loved AC3, and if you loved the others, get it. Every problem it has are the same problems the others have. It is not a new paradigm in AC gaming, and it tricked a lot of people who don't like the games that much into thinking it was. Its buggy, you don't have enough freedom, and side missions are pointless. What AC game can't you say that about to some degree? Only criticism I will never get is the one against Connor. Non white, non heroic, hugely flawed screwup is a bad thing in todays bald space marine world? I will never understand. Play it.

Sure, but they're exacerbated in 3: travelling between distant points in the countryside takes forever because there are only a few fast-travel stations and, in Winter, the snow slows you down tremendously; the optional objectives are more frustrating than challenging, clearly imagined with no thought given to the mission design itself; many secondary missions are mindnumbingly mundane, including animal herding and breaking up fights; and, for crying out loud, switching weapons went from a quick-select weapon wheel to a cumbersome out-of-game menu.

There is one thing AssCreed 3 does better than Revelations, though, and that's the Desmond missions: you're no longer playing Portatetris and instead visit various (linear) locations to pinch a power source. They're not great, or even particularly good, but they are better.

Did you disable mouse acceleration and aim assist?

No, I played it on my 360 pad that I already had plugged in and the demo seemed quite happy to accept it.

If you have feedback that would enhance my experience with the pc demo I would be grateful to hear it. I adored the 3DS iteration and would be delighted if I could re-play the game all over again.

[I have played it already, multiple times on the 3DS but it would be a new experience on the pc so you know what I mean]

Kabouter

I liked Roma more than the cities in 2. Except maybe Forli. Forli was kinda the shit.

I loved that they always called the cities by the Italian name or whatever like Venezia.

Well they call the cities by their real names in III as well. :p

Anyway, I couldn't disagree more with the general sentiment here. I didn't like III nearly as much as Brotherhood and especially AC2, but I thought it a huge recovery for the franchise after Revelations. Revelations felt incredibly rushed and an afterthought, with AC3 you could tell they'd taken their time and tried to do some new things. Of course it was far from perfect, and some things didn't work very well at all. That said, nothing worked quite as poorly as tower defence in AC:R. The city management type stuff was also so much better in AC3 than in the previous two games. Lastly, I appreciated not dropping bombs by accident whenever I wanted to talk to a shop owner. Fuckin' AC:R and its rubbish controls.

JaseC

Well they call the cities by their real names in III as well. :p

Anyway, I couldn't disagree more with the general sentiment here. I didn't like III nearly as much as Brotherhood and especially AC2, but I thought it a huge recovery for the franchise after Revelations. Revelations felt incredibly rushed and an afterthought, with AC3 you could tell they'd taken their time and tried to do some new things.

I did enjoy the admittedly rather basic naval missions and am glad that the ocean will be a part of the game world in Black Flag.

Of course it was far from perfect, and some things didn't work very well at all. That said, nothing worked quite as poorly as tower defence in AC:R. The city management type stuff was also so much better in AC3 than in the previous two games. Lastly, I appreciated not dropping bombs by accident whenever I wanted to talk to a shop owner. Fuckin' AC:R and its rubbish controls.

The tower defence mini-game is made all the worse by just how insultingly easy it is to win. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was literally the last thing Ubi added to the game before declaring it gold.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Does the Steam Sale usually go live at midnight? Or just some random time?

Also, what are the best tower defense games on steam? I already have grid defense on XBLA.

So apparently the mere mention of Civ V can cause me to relapse into a 4 hour session.

Also I agree with the negativity re: AC3. As a fan of the series (even Revelations) it was a tremendous bummer with too many cutscenes, and drawn out tutorials. The fact that you're not turned loose into the open city until 3/4ths of the way through the game is crazy.

But man this Civilization V...

Sober

Sure, but they're exacerbated in 3: travelling between distant points in the countryside takes forever because there are only a few fast-travel stations and, in Winter, the snow slows you down tremendously; the optional objectives are more frustrating than challenging, clearly imagined with no thought given to the mission design itself; many secondary missions are mindnumbingly mundane, including animal herding and breaking up fights; and, for crying out loud, switching weapons went from a quick-select weapon wheel to a cumbersome out-of-game menu.

There is one thing AssCreed 3 does better than Revelations, though, and that's the Desmond missions: you're no longer playing Portatetris and instead visit various (linear) locations to pinch a power source. They're not great, or even particularly good, but they are better.
Whoa you did not enjoy the Homestead missions? Okay I'll grant you that they were sometimes just pretty much nothing but they were clearly ages above the crap that was the main story quests.

What I'm trying to say is the entire Homestead storyline in AC3 is the only good thing after the naval stuff. And then there really isn't anything good after that.

JaseC

Whoa you did not enjoy the Homestead missions? Okay I'll grant you that they were sometimes just pretty much nothing but they were clearly ages above the crap that was the main story quests.

What I'm trying to say is the entire Homestead storyline in AC3 is the only good thing after the naval stuff. And then there really isn't anything good after that.

Not particularly. They fit contextually, of course, but consequently they weren't very engaging. The AssCreed games are my guilty pleasure, though, so I can't help but do everything, haha.

Sober

Not particularly. They fit contextually, of course, but consequently they weren't very engaging. The AssCreed games are my guilty pleasure, though, so I can't help but do everything, haha.
Well they were certainly more interesting than Connor being in every major American revolutionary event because Assassin's Creed.

Actually now I wish there was a game about just trying to start up and maintain a frontier town that isn't a strategy game. Or maybe not.

sibarraz

Banned
I will talk as someone who hasn't played neither AC1 and AC3

AC2 was amazing, the fact that you had 4-5 cities to play really added lot of variety to the game, the mission really had lot of variety, and overall had a decent difficult. The story was cool since you needed to discover who was the mastermind in the whole thing, with the final stage being really awesome as it was a really cool mission. Hand to hand combat was easy, but still it was a bit hard when you were outnumbered.

AC2 is perfect, my major grip though, was that bullshit idea of locking 2 missions in the middle as DLC, whoever thought that was a cool idea, fuck him

Then we had Brotherhood, Rome was cool, but overall the game really feels like an expansion more than a new game, the novelty hasn't wore off yet, but still it feels weaker than AC2. The combats were easy though, to the point that lots of times I really didn't care if I was discovered by the guards, more when you had your disciples with a higl level, avaliable to do all the dirty work. The final battle was lame though, in the sense that it really feel a little off, in one second you were in rome, and suddenly you move to spain to fight the final battle. Cesar was a character that could have been better used IMO, in the sense too feel like an equal to ezio, where both had the same level of skill combats.

And then we had Revelations, Istanbul/Constantinice was an amazing setting, but at this point the missions really started to be a problem since were almost the same as the first 2 ezio games, it didn't helped that hand combat was way more easy, and that like someone said here in gaf this day, the final boss never felt like one, you suddenly defeated him and that was it

The cool thing was that it gave a good ending for both ezio and altair (the later was further explored with the that little animation movie), and the setup for AC3 was exciting, but overall was the most forgetable game of the 3 imo

M.D

Borderlands deal from GAME

Borderlands Game of the Year Edition - £4.99
Borderlands 2 - £6.80
Borderlands 2 - Psycho Pack DLC - £3.99
Borderlands 2 – Mechromancer Pack DLC - £2.71
Borderlands 2 – Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty - £3.99
Borderlands 2: Creature Slaught Dome - £1.74
Borderlands 2 – Mr Torgue's Cam Campaign of Carnage - £3.99
Borderlands 2 - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - £3.99

Milamber

I've been playing a lot of non-Steam games lately. I wish Freelancer, Ragnarok Battle Offline, Sexy Beach 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean were there. I'd get hundreds of hours and every achievement.

I've been playing a lot of non-Steam games lately. I wish Freelancer, Ragnarok Battle Offline, Sexy Beach 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean were there. I'd get hundreds of hours and every achievement.

Don't google Sexy Beach at work. Actually, just don't google it.

MNC

also is Company of Heroes 2 bad or something? I was excited as fuck for it but have to wait due to money/save up for summer sales but why is no one talking about it
70 hours in coh1 ( thats alot for my standards) and coh2 just felt off. You know how after a while, you get to know a game's strange quirks and learn how to use them? Placement of units in coh1 for example and the way bullets are registered etc. Coh2 changes too much of the old formula for me to enjoy it.

Symphonic

Borderlands deal from GAME

Borderlands Game of the Year Edition - £4.99
Borderlands 2 - £6.80
Borderlands 2 - Psycho Pack DLC - £3.99
Borderlands 2 – Mechromancer Pack DLC - £2.71
Borderlands 2 – Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty - £3.99
Borderlands 2: Creature Slaught Dome - £1.74
Borderlands 2 – Mr Torgue's Cam Campaign of Carnage - £3.99
Borderlands 2 - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - £3.99

Damn. Would snag this if it were US.

Tak3n

Banned
Good so it's not just me sucking lol

Tried playing it with a pad and the controls don't feel tight enough. If they fixed it up the game would be easier IMO

The amount of deaths I suffer where it does not register which way I am pushing is frustrating..

I ended up deleting my save and starting again, as I had not put any points in health, that was a grave mistake....

I like the game, but the fact the ghost takes all your money to enter each time, gets so annoying, as once your upgrades start costing in excess of 500 for the cheapest one, it adds real pressure to the run, and a lot of the time I end up forfeting in excess of 300 gold because I did not collect enough to do any upgrades

SparkTR

Is it just me or is Rogue Legacy really hard?

There's a level/unlock curve. Keep playing, find a few runes and blueprints and eventually you be able to one shot everything and get health back with every kill. You then progress to the other sections of the castle to get more rewards and a bigger challenge.

Eventually you'll be getting at least few thousand coins per run, likely 10k coins.

cicero

The amount of deaths I suffer where it does not register which way I am pushing is frustrating..

I ended up deleting my save and starting again, as I had not put any points in health, that was a grave mistake....

I like the game, but the fact the ghost takes all your money to enter each time, gets so annoying, as once your upgrades start costing in excess of 500 for the cheapest one, it adds real pressure to the run, and a lot of the time I end up forfeting in excess of 300 gold because I did not collect enough to do any upgrades
Are you locking down the same castle over and over again? I have found it seems to be easier if I keep doing new castle builds every few deaths because once you can survive and dish out a little damage, you can last long enough to pick up some chests of gold and get yourself over 500-1000 gold in pretty much every run, which allows you to buy access to new weapons or skills/stats. I was grinding on one castle for so long because I thought I needed to do a full run of the ENTIRE castle, including dungeon and outside areas, which was my huge mistake. Game really was starting to get really annoyingly grindy there until I started switching up. Now it is much more fun, and I seem to be picking up a whole lot more armor/weapons/runes/chests.

Tak3n

Banned
Are you locking down the same castle over and over again? I have found it seems to be easier if I keep doing new castle builds every few deaths because once you can survive and dish out a little damage, you can last long enough to pick up some chests of gold and get yourself over 500-1000 gold in pretty much every run, which allows you to buy access to new weapons or skills/stats. I was grinding on one castle for so long because I thought I needed to do a full run of the ENTIRE castle, including dungeon and outside areas, which was my huge mistake. Game really was starting to get really annoyingly grindy there until I started switching up. Now it is much more fun, and I seem to be picking up a whole lot more armor/weapons/runes/chests.

na, once I read he charges 70% I never used it, I think I am just pants at the game

Caerith

na, once I read he charges 70% I never used it, I think I am just pants at the game
I only use it if I saw a treasure I know I could get to on my next character, like a faerie chest I'd need a dwarf to reach and oh hey my next character is a dwarf.

I played a few hours and also deleted my save. First time, I was feeling I shouldn't let Charon take any gold so I'd spend any extras on stuff I didn't need, like MP pool increases. Finally got to the point where I wasn't much stronger but everything was too expensive.

On this save, my first character (no traits or equipment, the first guy right out of the tutorial) managed to accrue close to 2k gold. I focused all my upgrades specifically towards the trait that gives you +10% gold, and spent everything else on gear only. I'm doing a lot better, but I think it's largely in part to having learned the controls better and learning to be more patient.

Oh, also: the architect charges 30%. You keep 70%.

derExperte

really disappointed in papo & yo

game's pretty but I can't really call this gameplay

The designer made the puzzles very easy on purpose and they don't get any harder, towards the end it becomes almost like Journey, just running around and watching what's happening. Liked it but yes, don't expect anything deep gameplay-wise, it's about everything else.

Big Picture mode just stopped recognizing my 360 controller. Now it says "No xinput device detected". Games still recognize it, as does my PC, but I can't access the steam overlay anymore, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom