• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are a lot of the standard staples that are at a reasonable price right now going to go up temporarily (1-2 sets) when the rotation happens or are they already priced at their value?

All other things being equal and their level of play remaining somewhat steady, all Standard playable cards steadily decrease in value over the course of their life in the format. The only case where you'll see anything spike at rotation is when decks massively shake up and something marginal is suddenly in a tier one deck. This last period is a little funky because of the bannings (which had an effect similar to a rotation on some cards) but you can look at something like Kalitas or Avacyn and see a slow and steady decline that's uninterrupted by the rotation.

Santiako

Pro Tour Champion Jiachen Tao playing the red Neheb in his GR Ramp deck. Interesting and odd at the same time.

EDIT: Damn, Neheb powering up giant ballistas and Ulamogs on turns 5 and 6.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a complete newbie, but those articles were interesting. How did the deck get the hilarious name Turbo Xerox?

kirblar

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/decks-like-deaths-shadow-will-always-become-the-best-deck/

Nice little article discussing how modern is reaching a 2-archytype inflection point similar to various points of the legacy and vintage metagame. Which kind of echoes how a lot of people feel like DS is practically a legacy deck.

I'll be surprised if Street Wraith doesn't eat a ban.
Yeah, this is a stealth argument for hitting the thing that lets the deck play a 56/57 card deck w/ the appropriately small land base.

I'm a complete newbie, but those articles were interesting. How did the deck get the hilarious name Turbo Xerox?

Someone on reddit said it was because the earliest one of those decks had no rares and got immediately copied by everyone, 'xeroxed'.

The article talks about how eldrazi represents the prison deck that keeps DS in check, but I honestly think a Street Wraith ban would just leave Eldrazi Tron as the last man standing. Chalice should probably be in the crosshairs too.

Draft of the Ixalan OT.
sYCla2unGd.jpg

Official page
Ixalan set information
Previous topic: Hour of Devastation (OT12)
Next Standard set: Rivals of Ixalan
Trailer
Card image gallery

INTRO
Welcome to the Multiverse! Multiple worlds exist side by side in different dimensions, known as planes, and they are as different as night and day. All of them, however, have a form of magical energy known as mana. Most residents of these planes are unaware of other worlds, but there are some special beings with the ability to safely travel between them, known as Planeswalkers.

Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. The game quickly became a hit, and it is currently bigger than it has ever been. You and your opponent play the role of dueling Planeswalkers, using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other Planeswalkers you can call in to help out. Whoever can get every opponent down to 0 life wins.

Last set, the dragon planeswalker Nicol Bolas performed a Chaos Dunk on the Egyptian plane of Amonkhet and Slam Jammed our heroes, the Gatewatch, forcing them to scatter throughout the Multiverse. Now, Jace finds himself a castaway on the plane of Ixalan, where pirates led by the gorgon planeswalker Vraska are about to come into conflict with Mesoamerican natives riding dinosaurs.

Note that huge parts of this set have been leaked months ago: every rare and mythic rare. Thus, most people here are actually looking forward to reveals of commons and uncommons more than anything. That said, I request that people post leaked cards when they are officially revealed.

Also, on September 8–10, 2017, at HasCon, for the first time in years, we have a prerelease for a set without any card reveals: Iconic Masters. That set will officially release on November 17, 2017.

Banned and Restricted List - For the first time in years, cards have been banned in Standard:
* Smuggler's Copter
* Felidar Guardian
* Aetherworks Marvel

STANDARD CHANGES
As announced in this article, Standard will use the new "three-and-one model" starting from the spring 2018 set, Dominaria. What does this mean? Well:
* No more small sets. Starting from Dominaria, every Standard set will be large and drafted by itself.
* That also means no more blocks. Or rather, the block structure is allowed to be very fluid now. One world might get only one set, while another might get two or even three. Sets that take place on the same world might not be mechanically connected, even if they are right after each other.
* Core sets are back, in their old summer slot, starting 2018. Compared to before, where they tried to appeal to both beginners and experts and thus muddled the message, they will err on the side of appealing to beginners. Still, there is appeal to experienced players in that they will act as places to print relevant Standard cards without too much concern for fitting them into a world or set theme.
* The Masterpiece rarity has been downgraded from evergreen to only a sometimes thing. Masterpiece cards are exciting reprints printed at a higher rarity than mythic rare, and they did very well at first, but they had diminishing returns, and caused all kinds of problems with card prices. Ixalan will not have Masterpieces.

Standard rotation will remain the same as it is now, with the oldest four sets leaving every fall release.
WoQ7zZCDjD_2018_Releases.gif

GETTING STARTED
If you're a beginner, feel free to come in. Us regulars can get a bit technical with card evaluations and use a lot of jargon, and many of us will loudly proclaim that a cool-looking card is junk, or say that a lame-looking card is really powerful, so ask us if you want an explanation.

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series (now discontinued), where Day[9] battled various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

To get started, check out the official page. Basically:
* It's recommended that new players play Magic Duels (thread). It's a great way to learn the game on your own, and it's free! That said, there will no longer be new updates, but the next digital project, Magic: the Gathering: Arena, should fill the void.
* After that point, the act of deck building can be intimidating, so it's recommended that you try out a preconstructed deck and customize it with other cards you get, before you start making your own from scratch. Planeswalker Decks are preconstructed decks that come with four unique new cards, including a new Planeswalker card. If you have a friend to play with, there are also Duel Decks that provide two decks for a game right out of the box, but are a bit more complicated.
* To get your physical collection started, buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit, which includes not just a starting collection of cards (including a lot of lands), but also some booster packs and a good box to store cards in.
* The different play formats can be found here. The most popular formats where you bring a 60-card deck ahead of time (Constructed) are Standard, Modern, and Legacy. The most popular formats where you start out with no deck and have to make them from scratch (Limited) are Draft and Sealed. Casual play has no restrictions other than what your friends decide. Once your skill advances, another popular way to play Magic casually is Commander.
* While game stores will often hold Magic events at other times, every store that has Magic events will have Friday Night Magic. There, you will be able to find other players in your area to both have matches with and trade with. Find game stores here. And to get started participating in your local game store (LGS) scene, attend an open house or prerelease event!

OPEN HOUSE AND PRERELEASE
While the set won't officially be sold until the release date, that isn't the first time you can get your hands on the new cards. Game stores will hold Magic Open House events specifically meant for new players, with people there to give you simple Welcome Decks and teach you how to play.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the prerelease event held for every set. You play in the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

The Magic Open House will be on September 16–17, 2017. Prerelease events will be held on September 23–24, 2017. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register for the prerelease, or they might just run out of room. Find local game stores here.

STORY
Lore introduction
Ixalan story
Trailer

Ixalan has dinosaurs, and there's some other stuff.

Story archive
Planeswalker biographies

CARD THEMES
Card image gallery
Mechanics

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Latest Developments, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building. For older articles before the site changed, go here.
Card image gallery - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Mythic Spoiler - A good way to see what cards have been spoiled, updates throughout the day.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

PREVIOUS THREADS
Hour of Devastation (OT12)
Amonkhet (OT11)
Aether Revolt (OT10)
Kaladesh (OT9)
Eldritch Moon (OT8)
Shadows over Innistrad (OT7)
Oath of the Gatewatch OT (OT6)
Battle for Zendikar OT (OT5)
OT4
OT3
OT2
OT1

SCHEDULE
Premier events schedule

Ixalan
Start of spoilers - September 4, 2017
Full reveal - September 15, 2017
Magic Open House - September 16–17, 2017
Prerelease Events - September 23–24, 2017
Magic Online Launch - September 25, 2017
On Sale in Magic Online - September 29, 2017
Release Date - September 29, 2017
Draft Weekend - September 30–October 1, 2017
Magic League Begins - October 2, 2017

Iconic Masters
Prerelease Events at HasCon - September 8–10, 2017
Release Date - November 17, 2017

2017 World Championship - October 6-8, 2017
Gift Pack release - October 20, 2017
Pro Tour Ixalan - November 3–5, 2017
Duel Decks: Merfolk vs. Goblins release - November 10, 2017
Explorers of Ixalan release - November 24, 2017
From the Vault: Transform release - November 24, 2017
2017 World Magic Cup - December 1-3, 2017

Unstable
Release Date - December 8, 2017

Rivals of Ixalan
Estimated start of spoilers - December 25, 2017
Full reveal - January 5, 2018
Magic Open House - January 6-7, 2018
Prerelease Events - January 13-14, 2018
Magic Online Launch - January 15, 2018
Release Date - January 19, 2018
On Sale in Magic Online - January 19, 2018
Draft Weekend - January 20-21, 2018
Magic League Begins - January 22, 2018

Wulfric

Does anyone know if there's a zip up 3-column binder out there? I love the BCW Z-folio, but it's a pain in the ass to take outside the house for trades. I'm looking for something around the size of the 9-pocket Ultra Pro binders, but with a zipper. The Ultra Pros get dirty easily, and the band elastic gets out too quickly.

Standard's less degenerate now than it has been recently, but I still think it's pretty boring. Maybe it's because the preceding years were so interesting, but I think Standard decks lately are just too linear. If you look at the way a Jeskai Black or Sidisi Whip deck played there were just so many options available. Decks like RB midrange or Jeskai Approach of the Second Suns are basically limited decks. Kill the thing, play the thing. Maybe it's just the lack of the modular cards from Khans Block, but man I miss decks like this:

sdfsdf0bstt.png

Tunoku

Your investment in the game at the time was way higher tho, that’s a huge factor when it comes to evaluating a format.

Your investment in the game at the time was way higher tho, that’s a huge factor when it comes to evaluating a format.

It's true, but it's not like I ever really stopped playing, I just stopped competing when Standard stopped being fun and interesting. I play a crap ton on cockatrice because it lets me flow between testing different formats and decks without having to track down cards.

Tunoku

Damn, Brad and Corey top 8ed together AGAIN. And this time they played the same list as BBD, who also made top 8. (Temur Energy)

Wulfric

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-ha...nd-convention-center-and-dunkin-donuts-center

Hascon tickets half off on Groupon. Might actually go now; surprisingly short drive. Gonna grab the three day pass if I can get it to work with a coupon code.

Doesn't bode well for attendance, though, and it should've been this price from the the start.

Oh shit, they got Flo Rida to come? Now you need to buy a ticket.

I feel bad for anyone who wants to see Stan Lee or Blogatog; they're both at the same time on the schedule. :(

WotC is still using the wrong Chandra tokens.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";246575656]Can only be so rough when you're the reigning world champ.[/QUOTE]
still doesn't earn you a spot to defend the title, which BBD missed out on.

Hero

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-ha...nd-convention-center-and-dunkin-donuts-center

Hascon tickets half off on Groupon. Might actually go now; surprisingly short drive. Gonna grab the three day pass if I can get it to work with a coupon code.

Doesn't bode well for attendance, though, and it should've been this price from the the start.

Hasbro can get fucked for trying to charge as much as they were for a brand new convention. With this Groupon, the tickets are at a level that is acceptable for the biggest/best conventions.

bigkrev

Here is the problem with Hascon:

There are fans of Nerf
There are fans of Transformers
There are Fans of My Little Pony
There are fans of Monopoly
There are fans of GI Joe
There are fans of Dungeons and Dragons
There are fans of Magic the Gathering

While there are probably tons of people who are fans of 2 or 3 of these, I can't fathom a person existing whos a fan of everything here. For a lot of people, they would be better served going to GenCon, or the upcoming PAX Unplugged later this year (which is in a significantly easier to travel to east coast city that Hascon!). For others, Comic Con probably has everything they are looking for.

This is an event for absolutly no one, except people local to the area

Xis

Following on to bigkrev's post:

Hasbro killed the official Transformers convention (revoked the rights) to play up HasCon. I am super bummed about it. We travelled to many BotCons, but will not be attending HasCon. There is a huge difference between "Transformers convention" and "convention also featuring Transformers".

(The Grimlock Magic card is super cool though).

Do we know the approximate distribution of this Iconic Masters or whatever is being revealed at HasCon? Is it like Modern Masters?

PS: Reserving "Hasn'tCon" if it's bad 😬

Justin

Do we know the approximate distribution of this Iconic Masters or whatever is being revealed at HasCon? Is it like Modern Masters?

PS: Reserving "Hasn'tCon" if it's bad 😬

I assume it is going to be the same as a Modern Masters release. It isn't releasing till November though.

Santiako

I was looking into getting a second Modern deck since Titanshift is so repetitive to play and ended up buying most of a Merfolk deck. I'm just missing 3 vials and a couple of caverns now, I'll wait until Iconic Masters to see if vials get reprinted.

Def excited for Ixalan now :p

I was looking into getting a second Modern deck since Titanshift is so repetitive to play and ended up buying most of a Merfolk deck. I'm just missing 3 vials and a couple of caverns now, I'll wait until Iconic Masters to see if vials get reprinted.

Def excited for Ixalan now :p
People have started taking out Caverns because of almost no creature counters being run in this meta and some are maindecking ghost quarters. Can't go too high on colourless lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom