• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

tTOhvtB.png

Release Date | MAY 13, 2016
Platforms | PC / Microsoft Xbox One / Sony Playstation 4
Developer | ID Software
Publisher | Bethesda Softworks
Genre | First Person Shooter
Official Site
Recommended PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better.
GPU: 8 GB RAM; 55 GB free HDD space; Nvidia GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better.
Contains a single disc. Download of additional files from Steam (total amount 45 GB) is required to run the game.
Requires Steam activation and broadband internet connection for Multiplayer and SnapMap.

L9LinE5.png

Standard Edition | $59.99 | £39.99 | €64,99

Includes:
| DOOM
| PreOrder Demon Multiplayer Pack​

Collectors Edition | $119.99 | £99.99 | €129,99

Includes:
| DOOM
| Collectible Steelbook Case
| 12" tall Collector's statue of one of DOOM's most iconic demons: the Revenant
| Demon Multiplayer Pack​

Digital Deluxe Edition | $99.99 | £79.99 | €109,99

Includes:
| DOOM
| Demon Multiplayer Pack
| DOOM Season Pass​

Season Pass | $39.99 | £29.99 | €39,99

Includes:
| The DOOM Season Pass will give you access to three premium multiplayer DLC packs after launch, which will get you a number of new maps, hack modules, playable demons, weapons and more.

The first DLC will be available this summer and give you access to:
  • Three new maps
  • One new weapon
  • One new playable demon
  • One new armour set
  • One new piece of equipment
  • New hack modules and taunts
  • New customization colours and patterns

IAU8x41.png

You’ve come here for a reason. The Union Aerospace Corporation’s massive research facility on Mars is overwhelmed by fierce and powerful demons, and only one
person stands between their world and ours. As the lone DOOM Marine, you’ve been activated to do one thing – kill them all.

FA1HYXB.png

Dominate your opponents in DOOM’s signature, fast-paced arena-style combat. In both classic and all-new game modes, annihilate your enemies utilizing
your personal blend of skill, powerful weapons, vertical movement, and unique power-ups that allow you to play as a demon.​

V1z1LPQ.png

DOOM Multiplayer lets you play as some of the various Demons you fight through the Campaign. There are four playable Demons:

• Baron of Hell – When you need to overpower other players, the Baron of Hell’s brute strength is unmatched.
    The Baron is perfect for those who want to rush right into the fray, dishing out the pain with vicious melee attacks and brutal Glory Kills.
    And if you ever find yourself surrounded as a Baron? Use your ground pound to damage a group of foes.
  • Revenant – With its speed and agility, the Revenant is all about outmaneuvering its foes and then overwhelming them with its deadly dual
    missile launchers. While the Revenant can’t glide through an entire map, it can fly for short periods thanks to its jetpack, allowing it to leap over gaps,
    hover past hazards and deal damage from above the fray – making its explosive missiles even more powerful thanks to any potential splash damage.
  • Prowler – Just like its name suggests, this multiplayer-exclusive demon is great for tactical players who like to lurk in the shadows and ambush
    enemies before retreating back to safety. The Prowler can leap to most surfaces, jumping from high-point to high-point, getting into position and waiting for
    the right moment to ambush an unsuspecting foe. Capable of killing a marine in a single blow, the Prowler can see enemies even through walls, allowing it
    to set up its attacks and execute its kills with deadly precision.
  • Mancubus – As slow and shambling as it looks, the Mancubus is a portly powerhouse who can crush its foes with its long-range rockets while
    soaking up damage thanks to its high health. Its rocket barrage isn’t the most accurate – but when you want to clear out an area, these arcing explosive
    shots can do the job like nothing else. The Mancubus also has a powerful, short-range area-of-effect venting attack that builds up from the heat generated
    when he fires his rockets; if he doesn’t vent, he risks overheating – but when he does vent, the Mancubus can destroy anyone foolish enough to get too close.

yhO2UvZ.png

While the shotgun might be one of DOOM’s most iconic weapons – and can easily be added to any player’s loadout – these classic killing machines
are available only as limited-use pick-ups that spawn during a multiplayer match. Grab a power weapon and you not only become even more lethal, but
you can also spot enemies through walls. Use up the ammo and you’re done with the deadly device until it respawns again. Try not to die with ammo still
in a power weapon, as it’s left behind for an enemy to grab!

• Gauss Cannon – Fast and ferociously accurate, the Gauss Cannon fires speedy slugs that can go the distance – and blow through
    multiple foes without any loss in power.
  • Chainsaw – If you hear the guttural roar of the chainsaw, you best get out of the way. This DOOM favorite delivers an instant
    kill to any marine – and can quickly slice away at a demon’s health.
  • BFG 9000 – Just like in the classic DOOMs, the BFG continues to live up to its name. Its charged projectile will not only
    obliterate anything in its blast radius, but also dishes out the pain to anyone along the way with tendrils of electrical energy.

YJt9lIm.png

In DOOM, fortune favors the bold. That’s true for those seeking power-ups, which are typically located in high-risk (and highly trafficked) areas.
DOOM’s power-ups are active for a limited period of time, enhancing your marine with unique buffs. As with power weapons, dying with an
active power-up will leave it behind for other players to grab.

• Invisibility – They’ll never see you coming. Just be careful: While you’re almost completely transparent
    (with the slightest distortion indicating your position), the effect is diminished when you fire a weapon or use equipment.
  • Haste – Why go fast when you can go even faster? Not only are you speedier (and can make longer leaps due to your enhanced momentum),
    but your rate of fire is also increased and some weapons will charge faster.
  • Regeneration – Rush into the fray with a bit of extra swagger, thanks to Regeneration. For a limited time,
    your health and armor will recharge – and even overcharge if you’re healthy enough.
  • Quad Damage – Everything is more powerful when you’ve got Quad Damage: primary fire, modified fire, even power weapons (if you have one equipped).
    Lethal equipment gets a boost as well.

zo8tOVd.png

• Soul Harvest - Because sometimes just killing your enemies isn’t enough…
    Soul Harvest is similar to Team Deathmatch (see below), but instead of racking up points with every kill, players
    need to collect the souls of their fallen foes. Each soul will remain in the world for a limited time. These souls can be
    scooped up by anyone on either team. The catch? Only the opposing team earns points for grabbing a soul – but the teammates
    of the vanquished can play spoiler by seizing an ally’s soul to prevent their foes from gaining a soul point.
  • Freeze Tag - Freeze Tag plays out a lot like the real-world equivalent (minus the heavy weaponry and hellish backdrop).
    Rather than killing your foes, opponents are instead frozen in place –immobilized in a block of ice. Teammates can thaw their allies by
    standing nearby for a set amount of time.
  • Warpath - King of the Hill gets even crazier in Warpath, where a single capture point moves around the map along a
    set (and clearly marked) pathway. And if that’s not enough, a demon rune marches along in lockstep – but on the opposite side of the path.
  • Domination - Domination includes up to three static capture points that are spread out across a map.
    Players spawn on different sides of the map, and can control the capture points by clearing out any enemies and
    standing within the designated zone. Points are earned based on how long you control a capture point.
  • Team Deathmatch - One of the two purest takes on classic modes in DOOM multiplayer, Team Deathmatch pits
    two teams against each other in a straight-up kill-fest. Players can choose their loadouts, customize their marine and become
    the demon if they grab the rune while it’s in play. (Demon kills are scored the same as regular kills.) Power-ups and power weapons
    also play a key role here.
  • Clan Arena - The other pure take on a classic mode, Clan Arena is a game of elimination: the last team standing wins.
    All pick-ups are removed from the map, and players won’t be able to restore their health or armor. Once you’re dead, you’re dead – no respawning.
    And demons aren’t available during this mode. Victory is earned by the team that fully eliminates all its foes – or by the team with the most
    remaining players when time runs out.

w8eEDrB.png

Infinite Possibilities, Endless Content
DOOM® SnapMap - A powerful, but easy-to-use game and level editor that allows for limitless gameplay experiences on every platform.
Anyone can snap together and customize maps, add pre-defined or custom gameplay, and edit game logic to create new modes.
Instantly play your creation or make it available to players around the world.​

D20E8IT.png

jdAXx0X.png

[/URL]

Cool OT, sounds like a Slayer song.
I'll be getting the game tomorrow but I won't have time to play it for a week or so.

Moff

nice OT

I hope I'll like the game

I love the Doom franchise, Doom 1 is undoubtedly the most important FPS of all time and still very playable today. I am playing brutal doom right now and have a lot of fun with it.
I even liked Doom3, even if it was a lot different.

This new Doom? I have my doubts, I hope it's not too arena heavy and the gunplay is satisfying. I want this to be good. I need this to be good.

so as far as the story goes, since this is a reboot, i'm guessing this bears no resemblance to any of the previous games? not even the original?

Mitch

Banned
Great OT.

I'm on the fence as of now. For two reasons, really.

1. Not sure my PC can handle it (3770K & GTX 680)
2. Wary that it may not be that great, so waiting on reviews

Have no interest in the slightest in multiplayer as I found it not fun in the beta, but I'll play the singleplayer till my fingers bleed.

Went with the PC version for my new computer. Had a $50 Dell gift card expiring and they also tossed in another $25 Dell gift card for any pre-orders

Hoping it's good...

haha

if this is supposed to be an inside reference, i don't get it :( i just remember playing the classic old doom on a computer when i was a kid. but i like playing games with a good story.

Well there was this robot in the trailer, so there will be some twist! Hope Bethesda puts effort in the story.

As for og doom, who cared about the story, it was all run,gun and fun! :D

Well there was this robot in the trailer, so there will be some twist! Hope Bethesda puts effort in the story.

As for og doom, who cared about the story, it was all run,gun and fun! :D

true, true.

aaaight, i may check it out. it comes out tomorrow why aren't the reviews public?

I'm just getting it for the SP, and I can't wait. But it does seem like they should have included a Beast Mode a la Gears 3, if they already have playable demons from TDM.

Played about 5 hours of the PS4 version.
Absolutely solid 60 FPS the entire time.
Really enjoying myself here. They made a solid Doom game with incredible performance.
If I didn't get an early copy, I might have missed out on this gem. I expressed my doubts before but now I got a belly full of crow.

Thinking about using some Best Buy points for this to grab the PC version tomorrow. The mouse/keyboard gameplay made me want it so much more than the console gameplay ever did.

Plasmids

Played about 5 hours of the PS4 version.
Absolutely solid 60 FPS the entire time.
Really enjoying myself here. They made a solid Doom game with incredible performance.
If I didn't get an early copy, I might have missed out on this gem. I expressed my doubts before but now I got a belly full of crow.

This is good news thanks.

JoeNut

I enjoyed the multiplayer Beta, but not sure if can see the appeal of the single player enough to actually buy it. Maybe i should look into it

I've never played a game this fast in my life, holy shit.

So far I'm having a lot of fun, but those guys with the shields are fucking annoying. Only times I've actually died. :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the game THAT fast on consoles too? Surely doesn't seem that way. Is it something video card related?

To an extent. The developer playing the game opted for upgrades that increase speed, but also the field of view is much higher (120).

Top Bottom