• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Strongholds > H5 Assault imo. Maybe one-sided Assault in H5 would be better than neutral Assault, but we wouldn't know because it doesn't exist ;'[

I should clarify, H2 or H3 1 bomb shits on strongholds.

EDIT: also had a crash in Halo 5 last night
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/c1bf56b3-e3c1-43b3-bb14-40a087e45df2

had to quit the build and start again.

Also also had weird playlist issues in MCC last night too. After the recent threads I thought you know I'll reinstall and see how MCC is currently. Played a couple of solo games and thought perhaps things are good...then this auto-backing out bug in multiple playlists and I couldn't find a match with this same auto-backout after reboots or restarts of MCC etc. I was able to progress maybe 1 in 5 times of selecting a playlist. Crap still is my answer. At least H2/H2A campaign worked flawlessly.

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/98a5dd34-f088-4b30-b0bd-8476fbac8852

And a couple of nights before that I played a brilliant game of CE that devolved to to 4v3 then 3v2 and finally 1v1 for about 10+ kills each swapping the lead, the other guy quit when I took the lead substantially and the game didn't appear in my theatre. Ugh I wanted upload that one. But you too can enjoy this lovely comeback kill grenade of death:

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/977cfedb-be9b-4729-9843-4b3601187dd1

Now the trifecta of MCC issues, after most "successful" games you get this error on the post carnage report:
mP9AM3j.jpg

EDIT: Didn't know elites could surf ya ghost
CJhi0EC.gif

Played one game of slayer tonight after doing some mythic warzone games. Got decimated by AR's and was like nope I'm done with that garbage. So i finally tried the HCS playlist and it was like a breath of fresh air. Wow. So much better. Lost one game of HCS Slayer but played well. Then had a CTF game that my team won. Not sure but several players were sporting shooting accuracies of around 50% with decent supporting stats. Then i look and they're all silver. Possible smurf accounts or is the hcs playlist that competitive? Lol.

Played one game of slayer tonight after doing some mythic warzone games. Got decimated by AR's and was like nope I'm done with that garbage. So i finally tried the HCS playlist and it was like a breath of fresh air. Wow. So much better. Lost one game of HCS Slayer but played well. Then had a CTF game that my team won. Not sure but several players were sporting shooting accuracies of around 50% with decent supporting stats. Then i look and they're all silver. Possible smurf accounts or is the hcs playlist that competitive? Lol.

Ranking is different in HCS, I'm onyx in slayer and team arena but couldn't get out of platinum for HCS.

Ranking is different in HCS, I'm onyx in slayer and team arena but couldn't get out of platinum for HCS.
Interesting. I went back and looked again and a couple players were even bronze. My skills have fallen hard apparently lol. Still a lot of fun and it even had the feel of older halo games to me. I love no autos and starting with just one weapon. This is how halo 5 should have started.

jem0208

When playing with competent players Strongholds is definitely my favourite mode.

The problem is that too often you play with or against players who don't know what they're doing.

Gwyn

This was from the most recent community update:

afiwj6951b5z.jpg

I hope the next Halo installment has armor sets like this.

Concept art always looks good, then you see in game armor not even close

Also it helps that it's not all red/blue

Wish in h6 there was a toggle to turn off red/blue colors and instead show exactly the way you and other players customize the character, i mean there are so many fps games out there that do it why not halo?

Sai

Concept art always looks good, then you see in game armor not even close

Also it helps that it's not all red/blue

Wish in h6 there was a toggle to turn off red/blue colors and instead show exactly the way you and other players customize the character, i mean there are so many fps games out there that do it why not halo?
I'd appreciate it if they implemented an option for this, along with optional highlights for friend and foe.

Another good suggestion that I've seen tossed around has been the method Rocket League uses, with different shades of red 'n blue.

Tawpgun

I'd appreciate it if they implemented an option for this, along with optional highlights for friend and foe.

Another good suggestion that I've seen tossed around has been the method Rocket League uses, with different shades of red 'n blue.

I like dat.

wtb animated paint

Didn't Halo 3 also have different shades of red and blue or am I imagining things

Didn't Halo 3 also have different shades of red and blue or am I imagining things

they did, after balance patches they changed some maps and the spartans shade of color so there wasnt any advantage of staying hidden i guess. spartan's blue used to be darker.

edit: oops i thought you were talking about launch h5 lol

Masterz1337

Neo Member
Headhunter and Stockpile were both bad, they both indicated that Bungie ran out of ideas.
To be fair, Head Hunter was planned back as far as H2, but they cut it due to the actual beheadings in Iraq. Or at least that's what they claim and probably partially the truth. Given what a shit show H2's dev was, I wouldn't be surprised if they just used that as an excuse for not wanting to work on it.

Buck looks fine, everyone else is far too angular and/or colorful, they don't look like they belong in the military. Then the armor looks even worse in the multiplayer.

I mean, Vale for sure, and I could argue Locke too, but Tanaka is fairly plain too.

Is oddball out yet? How is it?

Not up until the 29th. Also, it's a variant of Assault so it's not true Oddball.... Lame. Apparently the game mode is up on user WitDarkstar 's content browser.

afiwj6951b5z.jpg

I dunno they look too Anime or mechanized to me. While I was a huge Robotech fan back in the day, it just doesn't look like halo to me. Gotta agree with moose. Give me more of a space marine look.

TCKaos

afiwj6951b5z.jpg

These look like fairly logical compromises between 343i's current art direction and the visual integrity of the original series. August and Leon are sporting armor that look like up-armored or modified Mark-VI GEN 1 variants, or more like an actual successor to Mark-VI GEN 1 than what we got in Halo 4/5 (both Chief's armor and the actual Mark-VI GEN 2 featured in multiplayer).

Robert, the one in blue, looks like a fucking mobile suit. I get that functionally he's a riff on Jorge but something about it seems off, not the least of which is his upturning shoulder plate. He looks fucking cool, just out of place.

Woorloog

Banned
Robert, the one in blue, looks like a fucking mobile suit. I get that functionally he's a riff on Jorge but something about it seems off, not the least of which is his upturning shoulder plate. He looks fucking cool, just out of place.

My issues with those:
First: Too little stomach armor for the blue and yellow ones. Contrast to the red Spartan who does have some armoring in upper stomach.
Cover that with a belt like the Halo CE Master Chief has and it looks better.

Second: The plasma cannon. I get that the UNSC is using Covie weapons now but a Spartan wielding one just because looks weird. Give the blue Spartan a machine gun and he doesn't stand out so much.

Third: The blue backpack is too big and off-set. Lacks balance, makes the Spartan look a bit odd.

Woorloog

Banned
The pauldrons especially looked like they wouldn't do anything except from very narrow angles.
The yellow Spartan's left pauldron is especially like that. No frontal protection at all, and not sure it is that useful from side either, unless it is intended to protect the head a bit?

afiwj6951b5z.jpg

The base armor designs are a huge step up from 343i's installments design choices. I do like the idea this proposes of exterior customization of armor, similar to Reach, but I feel like it could possibly lead to bulky designs. However, overall I would prefer this system because it would allow 343i to focus on the quality of base armor sets and then expand outward with exterior armor - which if universally compatible would keep base armor tame - while still delivering a good amount of content. There are a ton of armor sets and Helmets in Halo 5, probably around 80 (excluding variants). If 343i were to narrow that down to 20-25 (like Reach) and then add a bunch of exterior permutations and more in-depth customization of a smaller set of armors, then that could be a good way to handle armor for 6. Probably won't happen, though, since they like recycling those old designs no one really likes.

TCKaos

The pauldrons especially looked like they wouldn't do anything except from very narrow angles.
The yellow Spartan's left pauldron is especially like that. No frontal protection at all, and not sure it is that useful from side either, unless it is intended to protect the head a bit?

Our left or his left? It looks like it's designed to protect his silhouette when he's in a firing stance, which now that I think about it doesn't make much sense considering he's using a sword.

The blue guy I don't actually have a huge problem with other than the armor looks... I dunno, off? He's got the same armored asymmetry as Jorge, since both of them are designed for maximum deflection from ahead when in a firing position with the turret.

How to improve the look of Halo

1. go to this link https://www.artstation.com/artist/spaceshipguru
2. make all the concepts a reality.

I was under the impression that this was his art.

I love the Reach-era Hannaford concept art so much that it was the principle art I used back when I was trying to make Halo homebrew for the Fantasy Flight 40k RPG.

Woorloog

Banned
Our left or his left? It looks like it's designed to protect his silhouette when he's in a firing stance, which now that I think about it doesn't make much sense considering he's using a sword.

The blue guy I don't actually have a huge problem with other than the armor looks... I dunno, off? He's got the same armored asymmetry as Jorge, since both of them are designed for maximum deflection from ahead when in a firing position with the turret.

His left. The asymmetry and firing stance are good points. Didn't really think about that. The backpack still looks like it should be centered and flatter for sake of balance.

I guess one problem i have with the armor is that it is... over-designed maybe? Why not simpler geometry? Why so many different curves and whatever else? (This is a trend in Halo really, the armor has gotten more complex throughout the series. Part of this can be attributed to increased computing power and this allowing more complex geometry but at times it feels stuff is complex for sake of being complex rather than being "form follows function".)

Still, overall i like the looks. Certainly better than 99% of armor in Halo 4 and 5. As noted, the art is reminiscent of Reach's.
Which makes me wonder if the artist worked on Reach concept art...

Cranster

Banned
Let's be honest here, Halo 5 Assault isn't real Assault either. The bomb is supposed to explode and kill everyone nearby after it's armed and planted.

I love that concept art, as it seems to consolidate gritty Bungie-era aesthetic as the base armor, with 343i's Power Ranger style for the accessories.

daedalius

I was under the impression that this was his art.

I love the Reach-era Hannaford concept art so much that it was the principle art I used back when I was trying to make Halo homebrew for the Fantasy Flight 40k RPG.

Issac Hannaford is legit the best

Trup1aya

Here's what to expect from oddball

Unyshek said:
To be upfront with everyone, this is not a brand new Oddball mode with new announcer voices, medals, or a Skull. You will be carrying the Assault 'ball,' and gameplay events will trigger Assault's voice over and medals (when applicable).
The gameplay will play exactly as you would expect Oddball to play in Halo 5, just want to be upfront that there were no new medals, audio elements, or models being added for this playlist.

Would have loved a dev made mode, but if it plays well I'll survive w/o the assets.

#BringBackTheSkull #AlasPoorYorick #NoMoreFauxGametypes

I love that concept art, as it seems to consolidate gritty Bungie-era aesthetic as the base armor, with 343i's Power Ranger style for the accessories.

Bungie era was never that gritty, Reach being the exception and I suppose you could make the argument for 2. Halo CE and 3 is the style they should try to emulate.One of the issues with 343i's aesthetics is trying to do too much with the hardware. Halo 5 can be downright ugly due to its jagged lines on armor, things are washed out from 10 feet away. A more simplistic and clean art style would have served the game better. These problems will be mitigated with 6 due to the X and PC platforms, but they still need to transition into the Bungie/Halo Wars 2 art style. I don't think 343 could deny there'd be excitement generated upon Halo 6's reveal if it looked more like classic Halo. Imagine a multiplayer trailer showing a red rock canyon, pine trees, blue skies and a warthog jumping over players in classic armor that would certainly illicit a positive response.

And another two glaring MCC issues in two days:

1. Total crash tonight when just looking at new ID unlocks, game froze and crapped out to dashboard.

2. Got H2 sanctuary and pulled a 21 kill perfection, no host migrations and the game ain't in my theatre. Again.

When Halo works at its peak I love it, I will not weather another shoddy unstable game/console.

Top Bottom