• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

cUFRUK0.gif

Neverwas

finally finished late last night. very happy with the whole experience. didn't complete the trials, or the power core collection, but everything else is done. can't wait for DLC.

shermas

finally finished late last night. very happy with the whole experience. didn't complete the trials, or the power core collection, but everything else is done. can't wait for DLC.

Can you continue doing side quests/errands after you finish the main story? I thought you could...

Luke_Wal

Finally finished this tonight. First time I dove in at launch, it didn't really grab me, and Zelda took me away, but I came back in the last week and couldn't be happier.

The game is, simply put, awesome. It's undoubtedly the most beautiful game I've ever played (PS4 Pro + 4K/HDR TV from a console player), and the story of how society fell was engrossing from beginning to end. That being said:

I am a little concerned about a sequel, if only because now we know what happened to the Old Ones, and that was by far the best part of the game's story for me. The tribes and stuff were interesting, but not nearly as much as learning about Zero Dawn.

Something that jumped out to me in reading/listening to the Datapoints in the facilities was how much I heard them mentioning the oceans. I would LOVE if the sequel took place on a coast (West, probably?) maybe with some island tribes, since you know a lot of our coastal land has since flooded as a result of global warming. The lack of water-based machines aside from the Snapmaw really stuck out to me, and I can't wait to see scary sharks, sea turtles, and plesiosaurs in the sequel (hopefully!).

I know this is nit picking but it annoys me so much that only one time in my first 12 hours has someone been surprised that I've been riding a machine.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know this is nit picking but it annoys me so much that only one time in my first 12 hours has someone been surprised that I've been riding a machine.

There are npcs that will comment on it. One dude was praying on a rock outside a Nora town and lost his shit when he saw Aloy riding a machine.

I hope they up the enemy variety with the DLCs.

Id love to see micro machines like the Flood... Just a bunch of annoying beetles that gloriously explode when you throw bombs at them.

I hope they up the enemy variety with the DLCs.

Id love to see micro machines like the Flood... Just a bunch of annoying beetles that gloriously explode when you throw bombs at them.

Yup, I'd like to see some kind of small, swarming Machine. I made a list back quite a few pages and put it as ants, but could be something like scarabs, as well.

Finally finished this tonight. First time I dove in at launch, it didn't really grab me, and Zelda took me away, but I came back in the last week and couldn't be happier.

The game is, simply put, awesome. It's undoubtedly the most beautiful game I've ever played (PS4 Pro + 4K/HDR TV from a console player), and the story of how society fell was engrossing from beginning to end. That being said:

I am a little concerned about a sequel, if only because now we know what happened to the Old Ones, and that was by far the best part of the game's story for me. The tribes and stuff were interesting, but not nearly as much as learning about Zero Dawn.

Something that jumped out to me in reading/listening to the Datapoints in the facilities was how much I heard them mentioning the oceans. I would LOVE if the sequel took place on a coast (West, probably?) maybe with some island tribes, since you know a lot of our coastal land has since flooded as a result of global warming. The lack of water-based machines aside from the Snapmaw really stuck out to me, and I can't wait to see scary sharks, sea turtles, and plesiosaurs in the sequel (hopefully!).
Oh fuck I hadn't even thought about the idea of a Horizon sequel that takes place partly at sea and now I fucking WANT IT.

Gimme a thunderstorm on rolling waves and fighting a giant mechanical sea monster please and thank you.

grmlin

Still making my way through the story, but get distracted by other things all the time lol.

I just
reached that huge tower in the story
and OMG this game is so beautiful. It is also the first time ever in an open world game that i keep doing sidequests and collectibles, and I have no idea why.
HZD must have done something right.

what an amazing game.

This game is much better when you play it linear. Since the third mission I've just stuck to the main missions and gone from waypoint to waypoint, the story is starting to get quite interesting and the main story takes you to the majority of the locations it seems.

When played as an open world game it follows the same dull formula that Ubisoft have driven into the ground. Can't wait for people to get more original with how they design open world games.

I thought it was really cool to see the giant robot you could scale, then I got to the top and realised it was just a tower that revealed the map which moved. Zzzz. So original.

Donos

Dat Thunderjaw when you meet it the first time. Although i think the Tear arrows are too strong against it. Should take at least 2 shots or something to drop his weapons. And it's not agressive enough if you keep a bit of distance. Still pretty nice.

Also, somehow an overriden Sawtooth can fuck him up pretty good and also stun it.

Dat Thunderjaw when you meet it the first time. Although i think the Tear arrows are too strong against it. Should take at least 2 shots or something to drop his weapons.

Tear arrows are too strong overall and a bit broken, IMO. Could use a pretty significant nerf. While the components to make them are less common to harvest, just a few go a really long way.

Harmen

In regards to potential sequels, we are already getting a mini-sequel in the form of the DLC. Guerilla Games stated Aloy is set to solve the mystery behind the mountain. This premise makes me think GG knows that the "finding answers" aspect of Horizon Zero Dawn's main plot of was one of it's main strenghts. Maybe the DLC will be a good indication of where they want to go next.

I think there are still many possibilities for them to deliver plotlines similar in nature for the inevitable sequel. As in, having an interplay between current events and uncovering events of the past.

Obviously, there are still some unsolved matters of the main plot in HZD, in particular in regards to HADES. And they can also delve into other plotlines of the past. For example, there can be dormant tech in the "ancient" world (from other companies than Faro?), which could be anything really, given the sophisticated state of science before everything went to shit

That said, I am extremely glad we got an AAA plot of this kind that feels complete and satisfying on it's own. I was just thinking about how bloated and messy Assassins Creed is in this regard. They thinly stretched out it's mysteries of the past, only to end it in unresolved cliffhangers in ACIII and continuing mostly ignoring that.

Donos

Tear arrows are too strong overall and a bit broken, IMO. Could use a pretty significant nerf. While the components to make them are less common to harvest, just a few go a really long way.

Or they could let them drop really fast because of the weight. So you would need to go rather close to hit.

Bought this recently, and even after 20 hours I'm still utterly speechless at how good this game looks. I don't understand how they managed to get these visuals with this performance in an open world with this scale. Like, I already knew that Guerilla were tech gods prior to Horizon, but this is total insanity. Might be the single best example of visuals alone being able to do the heavy lifting for immersion and atmosphere. The sheer density of overgrowth/flora on top of the complex geometry, the amount of feedback and effects, the lively animations, the incredible sightlines carved into the map, all the small movement that keeps the the game alive even when nothing is happening (Aloy's hair, grass sway, insects, wind), etc. etc. An absolutely stunning visual experience.

Just about the only negative I have on that front is how poorly the game handles day/night/weather transitions. Once you're locked into a specific weather pattern and time of day, it's magical, but getting to the varying stages is SO jarring. There's very little build up to rain/snow, there's basically no lasting effects when the storms pass, weather changes only last like 2 minutes, twilight and sunset occur much too rapidly, nighttime is gorgeous but nothing interesting happens to change that greenish hue, etc. It's the one blemish on an otherwise exceptional world presentation, but unfortunately it's a big one. I'd love to see them slow all of this down, make it more nuanced, get thunderstorms in there, make the night weather more dynamic.

On the gameplay side, it's a lot of fun. While it doesn't do anything new with its structure and storyteling- often falling right in line with the standard open world design tropes- the movement, combat system, and machines are so good that they basically carry the game. Machine combat is fast, crisp, dynamic, satisfying, and stylish. I wish as much effort went into making the way the stories and missions are presented to the player as unique and polished as the combat. But anyway, I'm having fun which is what matters ultimately. Hope it can keep up steam all the way through.

Zackat

tear arrows are definitely too strong.

the speed that you can kill a thunderjaw with a few tear arrows and a freeze is kinda absurd

top notch gifs as always Sunhi. Are you working on DLC gifs for GG's twitter yet? You can tell us, it's fine. Nobody would ever know.

Spladam

Finally picked up a Pro and a copy of zero dawn. Still in awe of how GG were able to pull off these graphics--never seen anything like it and I'm a PC gamer with a pretty beefy rig.

So far game play and story is solid.
Another example of how graphical fidelity is not mostly a function of processing horsepower, and an example of how capabilities for different machines are not apples to apples comparisons.

I'm gonna guess you've been looking for this shot for some time now.

Plum

So I'm not too far into the game and I've yet to find a way to lock the camera position to a certain position. The default right-hand-side position genuinely makes me feel a bit motion sick so I have to constantly use the Focus to realign the camera to where I like it. Is there not a way to avoid the camera forcing itself back to the default position?

Good game though if a bit samey in many mechanics for me right now.

LoveCake

I cannot stop playing this game.

I have put 65hrs in so far and am level 38, I have spent so much time just roaming about.

I am a few quests from the final once, but I am trying to gather all the allies and get the special armor before the last quest.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think I may need to actually do story missions. I just got out of the sacred valley and am level 25 already.

grmlin

I think I may need to actually do story missions. I just got out of the sacred valley and am level 25 already.

I realized that too late, too. Doing lvl 18 main missions at lvl 30 lol. Maybe the biggest flaw of the game so far. But I love it so much to get around the map doing quests. And the combat is so fun. Fought a
storm bird
yesterday, that was cool. 10 minutes later I get a quest to kill one 😂

Recently got the game.

It's so gorgeous, I can't stop taking pictures in Photo Mode!

edit: Realized there's a screenshot thread. Gonna take my pictures there.

I cannot stop playing this game.

I have put 65hrs in so far and am level 38, I have spent so much time just roaming about.

I am a few quests from the final once, but I am trying to gather all the allies and get the special armor before the last quest.

I'm max lvl at 50 got my platinum not too long ago and I still play the game just to wander around/explore and kill some robots.

LoveCake

I'm max lvl at 50 got my platinum not too long ago and I still play the game just to wander around/explore and kill some robots.

I know, I am level 40 now with 74hrs played, I have just got the shield weaver armor and the Purple Spear, I just have to complete one last bandit camp giving me access to the last person I need for the 'All Allies' for the final showdown.

This game is incredible.

The post above about not playing this open world is dead on. Gorgeous but otherwise so conservative and in thrall to other games. Is a weird mix of a game.

LoveCake

I'm only a few hours into the game and it's the first one I've seen. Over by the "steel ring" where that main story mission occured after Aloy became a
Seeker

Do you mean a Bandit Camp? there is one close to the route you take on the 'A seeker at the gates' quest. that is level 9.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
GG should make Horizon Snap where you just venture through the game world taking photos of everything. It'd be a hit.

LoveCake

I think I'm at lvl 10, but I get destroyed (overwhelmed) when I try it..

I didn't start doing them for a while, just make sure you tag as many from distance and try and get head shots if you don't have the arrow to get instant head-shot kill it's can be hard as they can tend to swarm you and close combat you are at a disadvantage always it seems.

I have spent so much time just exploring, I did run everywhere instead of using fast travel until I found out there was an unlimited fast travel pack you could get pretty cheap/easy, hence why I am level 40 (a couple of 1000 points off) and 75hrs in and have not finished the main quests yet.

The way I seem to have played it is I have done about 60% it says on the game progression but now when exploring I don't have to worry about the robots as I can take on any and win, more so with the shield weaver armor and the purple spear.

A key thing though is doing the cauldrons so you can override robots so they fight each other, and can cause a distraction or take each other out, I still have the last (hardest) one left to do.

So I watched a main story play threw of this game on Youtube.

I was blown away on how good the main story was and I saw that this game has more to it then I thought it did.

Watching that play threw sold me on this game.

I decided to buy the game even though I already spoiled myself on the story. From my understanding there's much more to this game so I'll atleast be fresh with that.

Started playing and...

Holy fuck I keep making the same controls mistake because I'm use to Zelda Breath of the Wild control scheme.

I'm having fun but my mistakes keeps putting me in a position where I'm fighting a whole forest worth of Robo horsies.

Cornbread78

A key thing though is doing the cauldrons so you can override robots so they fight each other, and can cause a distraction or take each other out, I still have the last (hardest) one left to do.

I saw one, but it had like 100 robots outside, so I skipped it, lol

So I watched a main story play threw of this game on Youtube.

I was blown away on how good the main story was and I saw that this game has more to it then I thought it did.

Watching that play threw sold me on this game.

I decided to buy the game even though I already spoiled myself on the story. From my understanding there's much more to this game so I'll atleast be fresh with that.

Started playing and...

Holy fuck I keep making the same controls mistake because I'm use to Zelda Breath of the Wild control scheme.

I'm having fun but my mistakes keeps putting me in a position where I'm fighting a whole forest worth of Robo horsies.

You'll be OK as long as you dont keep switching back and forth between this and Zelda. Try to stick with one for an extended period of time before playing the other again.

I died a few times myself jumping off a ledge and expecting a paraglider to pop out when hitting triangle, lol.

You'll be OK as long as you dont keep switching back and forth between this and Zelda. Try to stick with one for an extended period of time before playing the other again.

I died a few times myself jumping off a ledge and expecting a paraglider to pop out when hitting triangle, lol

It's 0145 AM where I live and I literally laughed out loud ticking off my wife when I read this.
I did the samething!

Yeah my plan is to stick with Horizon until I play threw it and maybe try for a platinum.

Very early game spoilers

I was fighting *very mean people* at the
proving
and I died towards the end of the fight because I kept hitting Square to melee foes.

What I love about this game so far is using the spear and the almost god like stealth Aloy has in this game. At the
proving
I stealth killed the entire row on of archers twice on the Ridge.

Gonna bunker down and do side quest in the Embrace before setting off on my journey.

Top Bottom