• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Peltz

The PS2 anthology had the hitflashes, I think. But the more memorable aspect of that port was the insane amount of input lag. It's terrible. The Wii version didn't have the input lag issue, but it omitted the hitflashes.

The hitflashes are so important that I would play with lag to make sure they're included. Definitely go with PS2 over Wii.

I'd go with PS3 ports if those are your options.

Lynd7

I want to get a PS1 eventually and some games, I'm in PAL land though..

So should I get a PAL PS1 and get a region free chip or get an NTSC console? Will a PAL PS1 play NTSC games 100% correct? Or are there some drawbacks?

Thanks.

Bumhead

Banned
Picked up Anna Kournikova Smash Court Tennis and ISS Evolution Soccer 2 today.

Cost me £5 for the two, and both are in really good condition with the manuals etc. Really happy with that.

Smash Court is HARD though. I'm getting utterly smashed by the AI in exhibition modes. Pleasantly surprised by ISS though. Unlike the PS1 era FIFA games I think ISS is still rather playable. The main draw backs are the particularly stiff and rigid 8 way direction, and the AI doesn't behave in the way you expect or want it to most of the time, but other than that it still looks and plays a pretty nice game of football. The blocky visual style of the ISS games has held up way better than FIFA, too.

Lynd7

So playing NTSC games on a PAL system will be 100% the same as on an NTSC system right?

Seems like it is, but I'd like to confirm.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
I play NTSC games on a modded PAL system and they all play perfectly.

I think the disc itself contains all of the weird region-specific stuff?

mdzapeer

I have been wondering, how accurate is PSone emulation...not in video, but the audio department?

Personally even though I have the original hardware, its just so damn convenient to play it on PC or PS3.

How do the emulators compare in terms of accuracy? Sony official, espsxe, medafen retroarch core?

Persona7

Banned
Anyone know if this game is actually possible on PS1 hardware?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6RK8o1fcs

I am not asking if it is actually running on PS1. Just if it is possible. People online point out the bucket and "lighting" as being far beyond the capabilities of the PS1 but I don't know. This doesn't seem advanced in any aspect even considering the hardware.

pottuvoi

Banned
Anyone know if this game is actually possible on PS1 hardware?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6RK8o1fcs

I am not asking if it is actually running on PS1. Just if it is possible. People online point out the bucket and "lighting" as being far beyond the capabilities of the PS1 but I don't know. This doesn't seem advanced in any aspect even considering the hardware.
Outside sub pixel precision nothing in that video seems remarkable for ps1.
Bucket looks like low poly object with set vertex colors and goraud filtering.

Joqu

Uh, I might as well ask this here in case anyone knows what has happened here, though I'm not expecting anyone to, I've never heard of this. I own a PAL boxed copy of MGS1. It used to be in really good condition and I was happy with it, it was part of my MGS collection.

Today I've noticed it has, uh, sort of melted for the lack of a better word? Not the discs, the case. The plastic case has gone all sticky and at first I thought it got covered in some kind of glue somehow. Well, I tried washing it off and noticed I was just scrubbing case away, the damn thing has gone all weird and soft on its outer layer. I find it to be a little freaky because I don't know what caused it.

I'd take a pic but it's pretty hard to tell by looking at it. It has just sort of gone gross to the touch really. I'm no scientist, but it's got to be some sort of chemical reaction to... something. Are PS1 cases made out of some weird material?

Joqu

Bro, it's summer. Shit gets hot.

Since when do PS1 games go this way when it's hot? Or anything for that matter? Like, touching the case feels like glue. I'm thinking I'll need to throw it away if it stays this way, it's messy as hell. It has also gone all coarse, the surface is no longer smooth. That's not an actual summer thing, is it? I'm pretty sure it'll stay ruined in some way.

... it hasn't been that hot where I store my games at anyway.

I mean it's not that big of a deal here, I just don't want this to happen to actually valuable PS1 games if possible. D:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, so, I don't know if PS1 cases are made of anything weird, but I have never, ever heard of that happening. I think it's probably not a common occurrence.

Joqu

Lol, so, I don't know if PS1 cases are made of anything weird, but I have never, ever heard of that happening. I think it's probably not a common occurrence.

Ha, yeah, I figured as much. Google certainly has been no help.

I really don't know what did it, I share a space so maybe someone used some bad cleaning product of sorts, but like... what kind of acid would that be? Jesus. And if it's something like that then why are people touching my stuff anyway?

I guess I'll just keep an eye on things and hope it doesn't spread somehow. Bah. D:

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Just got a PSIO and this thing is fantastic. I can finally play my collection at 60hz.
The game streaming from the PC works beautifully too.

Audette

Been paying for Suikoden 2 and Lunar Silver Star Story Complete via layaway. Cannot wait to get it paid off, get it in my collection.

Laws00

It's funny the ps1 was one of my favorites systems.

I've mostly posted sega Saturn stuff because I didn't get one till maybe early to mid 2000s desires borrowing my friends Saturn.

I'm pretty much done with ps1 stuff unless someone wants to sell me the 2 lunar games, and all the ddr, beatmania games.

Anyway let me go in the basement and post some stuff

Laws00

Don't care I thought it (Metal Slug X) would be worth money down the road when I bought it. Who thought emulation and arcade perfection would catch up down the road lol

I can tell you a story about most of my games pre ps2 era.

I bought silouette mirage at a rite aid in my town for 5 bucks. They actually had like 20 copies of the game there.

Hoshigami: ruining blue earth is the first game I bought that I did not play entirely through till the end. I HATED IT

I have Arc the Lad Collection but it's the games in the jewel case with the manual and stuff but it's missing the outer box. I think i want to sell it because it looks ugly missing the stuff with it .....

I bought that over Persona 2: eternal punishment back in the day

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

Don't care I thought it (Metal Slug X) would be worth money down the road when I bought it.

lol, same here. i bought a gamestop (gamesquestdirect?) reprint in 2005 or so. If I remember correctly they sold them as used but it was clearly "new" like the xenoblade reprint a few years ago

GITS PSX is seriously good. Fun speedrun, too, if you're in to that.

Yea, the gameplay is so damn smooth.

I've been keeping an eye on PS1 game prices lately, it's funny seeing game prices for the most part falling steadily in the last ten years. Games like Vagrant Story and Suikoden have gone on avg. by about $20. Most Square games have gone down quite a bit, which I find interesting.

But then games like Syphon Filter which sold for absolutely nothing have increased exponentially, but are still cheap games to get.

I'm gonna say NormalFish is spouting hyperbole for no good reason but GitS for PS1 is a very good pickup.

Would any of you happen to know of good websites where I can buy PAL PS1 games (other than eBay etc?) There's Fully Retro but their prices are a bit crazy at times (also they supply AUS/NZ but are based in the UK. Go figure)

Laws00

I hope you play this if you haven't. You can beat it in a few hours and it supports widescreen. Just a good 'ole fun time. There is a training mode if you don't wanna jump straight in.

I've played every game if it's open/used that I own.

It's been so long I got this game I got it back in the early 2000s

lol, same here. i bought a gamestop (gamesquestdirect?) reprint in 2005 or so. If I remember correctly they sold them as used but it was clearly "new" like the xenoblade reprint a few years ago

I know I bought it used. Could have been around that time too.

I just remember being at a gamestop that wasn't in my area in a shopping center and buying it at night. I was like wtf is this doing in here.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Congrats on that -- finally scoring those holy grail titles is such a satisfying experience.

I never actually played the Jumping Flash game, so I got nothing beyond that.

This game has been on my want list for 20 years. I finally have it.

vEyRnv0.jpg

Bought it new in spring of 1996 and still have my copy. This game oozes so much charm and style and really exemplifies so much of what made the PlayStation great right out of the gate - great 3D effects, soundtrack and cut scenes made possible by CD tech, unknown developers dropping hits out of nowhere, unfiltered Japanese weirdness ... just wonderful. It blew me away. Hard to believe that Mario 64 would leave it in the dust just a few months later. What a crazy era for gaming.

Congrats on the pickup!

Never seen these before. Wish I would have been reading Edge back in the day.

I believe that F-1 demo screen also appeared alongside the very first mention of the Playstation in EGM. It was in one of the "late breaking news" or gossip sections in the front of the mag with just a few short paragraphs of copy saying the machine had been announced in Japan.

AmyS

Never seen these before. Wish I would have been reading Edge back in the day.

I believe that F-1 demo screen also appeared alongside the very first mention of the Playstation in EGM. It was in one of the "late breaking news" or gossip sections in the front of the mag with just a few short paragraphs of copy saying the machine had been announced in Japan.

Yeah, it did, well sort of.

I finally figured out something that had been bugging me, I had thought that I remembered a 3D polygon F-1 game/demo screenshot in Diehard GameFan for NEC's 32-bit FX / Project Tetsujin (Iron Man), However actually, it was for the PS-X, and correctly labeled as such. -- Yet, when I look at the EGM mention of PS-X, that F-1 demo is there, but shown as if it were for the NEC 32-Bit FX system.

GameFan - January 1994

XNtT3O2.jpg

--

EGM - January 1994

VXF9ViI.jpg

Glowsquid

So this is something I'm curious about: Various databases list Air Combat (aka: the first Ace Combat) as one of the gams that support the NegCon but I've never been able to find what the control scheme actually is. What does the twist axis controls: yaw, throttle, roll.. etc?

Just did some bored browsing of sold eBay listings and I'm going to have to dig out my PS1 collection (PAL) and find out the condition of some of them, as it seems I can make a pretty penny off the likes of Rapid Reload, Castlevania Chronicles, Azure Dreams...

So annoyed I sold the Symphony of the Night LE about a decade ago for like £50, that has shot up in price to £300ish it seems.

jsnepo

Anyone tried playing PSone classics on a PSP with TV output to a CRT? How does it look like? I read somewhere that PSone classics will be displayed in the original resolution of 240p. Is that true?

alf717

Anyone tried playing PSone classics on a PSP with TV output to a CRT? How does it look like? I read somewhere that PSone classics will be displayed in the original resolution of 240p. Is that true?

Yep its true. I use my own created eboots of PS games though. The lack of L2 and R2 buttons, have to use the nub for those, is a bit annoying though useless you have a PSP Go

jsnepo

Yep its true. I use my own created eboots of PS games though. The lack of L2 and R2 buttons, have to use the nub for those, is a bit annoying though useless you have a PSP Go

Definitely true. I saw it on an episode of My Life in Gaming.

Unfortunately I just have an old PSP 1000 so no TV out.

Thanks guys.

Anywway, I still plan on getting a PSP Go if it's going to be worth it as a micro console for PSOne classics. I can always use a Dualshock 3 with it.

The only trick is you need to set your psp to output interlace in order to get 240p...sounds weird I know.

The GO paired with a dock, component cables and a ds3 is a fantastic device for ps1 as long as you don't need multiplayer.

jsnepo

The only trick is you need to set your psp to output interlace in order to get 240p...sounds weird I know.

The GO paired with a dock, component cables and a ds3 is a fantastic device for ps1 as long as you don't need multiplayer.

So local multiplayer will not work? That sucks. Was really hoping some splitscreen CTR fun with the wife. Does using a DS3 introduces a significant amount of lag?

alf717

Decided to play Symphony of the Night and give it a proper go. Gotta say the music in this game is fantastic. Something about these composition are just great. Really fits the setting of the game. I got done fighting a huge red bird and got double jump a few minutes later.

Really thinking about doing this, too, with the Trinitron I'll be picking up soon. I checked my PSN list last night and I have more than 40 games I could play this way, mostly PS1 but also a few PSP. And obviously tons more I could get for just $6 each. I'll keep my region-free PS2 as well because there are plenty of games that aren't on PSN.

Only thing is - wow, the PSP Go and that cradle aren't cheap.

Tapejara

I picked up a copy of Eggs of Steel last year but had yet to play it. Popped it into the PS3 (I know, I know) to finally check it out.

It's a weird game.

I can't seem to find much info on the game itself. It was published by Atlus in the West. Enix's name is on there as is VFX studio Rhythm and Hues. However there isn't a wikipedia page for the game, nor is it not even listed on the page for Rhythm and Hues. I'm having troubl find out if this was an Enix developed game that R&H helped out on, or a game R&H made that Enix published in Japan.

You play as steel worker named Charlie who also happens to be an egg. Some machinery at the factory malfunctions during Charlie's shift and he needs to fix it. Honestly, story isn't really that important here. Visually it doesn't look too bad, which makes sense because they had dedicated VFX studio working on it. Characters have some really nice animations, and there are a bunch of elaborate death animations. Well, they're more like FMVs, so the transition isn't always the smoothest, but they can thankfully be skipped. Some objects in the environment seems to be running at a lower FPS as well, which is bothersome.

The gameplay has Charlie going around the factory trying to activate punch clocks and avoiding enemies. It's mostly platforming focused but there is a small puzzle element to it. Beating a boss or level rewards you with and FMV of Charlie dancing to some disco music, which is really weird but funny.

I only played through the first level and a bit of the second level, and it's not really good per se. A handful of reviews are still floating around; Gamespot in particular gave it a 4.1/10. That said it's a weird game, weird enough that I'm actually curious about seeing what else is in there. Think I'll stick with it.

Anyone play it?

So local multiplayer will not work? That sucks. Was really hoping some splitscreen CTR fun with the wife. Does using a DS3 introduces a significant amount of lag?

It only lets you pair 1 controller so I don't think its possible to do multiplayer with someone holding the psp either.

Really thinking about doing this, too, with the Trinitron I'll be picking up soon. I checked my PSN list last night and I have more than 40 games I could play this way, mostly PS1 but also a few PSP. And obviously tons more I could get for just $6 each. I'll keep my region-free PS2 as well because there are plenty of games that aren't on PSN.

Only thing is - wow, the PSP Go and that cradle aren't cheap.

PSP games are balls. It outputs in a tiny window so its best left for a scaler solution with a zoom feature.

The PSP is the only console I had any foresight on. I've got every model, every dock, every cable and every game worth having in a collection and for the most part I bought it all for peanuts.

Top Bottom