• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unofficial Tales of Translation Updates Thread: Fans bring us what Namco can't

Jubern

I realize how much Cless has put in this, but it's really very, very hard to care when someone else already did the job a few years back. Starting after him, finishing before him, and translating ANOTHER Tales soon after.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Tales of Vesperia UNDUB came out a while back for for those with a JTAG/RGH. :-D 2010 iirc.
Fits the topic as some would want the Japanese audio track & surely it's something Namco could have offered as an option but......? :|

pje122

Posted by Cless on 12/21/2012
The major issues with Tales of Phantasia have seemingly been ironed out for good, and having just successfully completed a run through the game on real console hardware with all features intact, the patch has, at long last, reached the beta testing stage.
If you've never read the forum since the previous site update, this is probably slightly confusing, as I said we'd be putting out a feature-incomplete patch that would receive no traditional beta test. As the expected target time (early September) neared, Habilain suddenly started submitting fixes to the issues. I put the gimped patch on indefinite hold, as I'm sure you'd agree it's better to put out a feature-complete patch if it seems within reach.
Unfortunately, this wasn't smooth sailing. For every fix, something else got broken, for various reasons. It became a vicious cycle. After the initial expression of optimism, the cycle rearing its head brought frustration. I soon hit a breaking point and decided take a break from the community and keep quiet until I was absolutely certain things would actually be going somewhere. Seriously, I'd gotten incredibly fed up with the whole "well damn, a new bug that I can't fix myself has suddenly been encountered" delay cycle. And that actually would have happened a couple more times if I stuck around during the time of my absence. There's no news I've dreaded posting more than that crap. None.
So, just a little over a week ago, I finally had a build of the game without any known major problems that I couldn't fix by myself. After successfully completing the game from start to finish on that build, and being able to fix just about every significant issue I came across during that time, I felt it was time to return, beta this thing, and get it out the door, once and for all. I think any other technical issues with the patch would have to be quite obscure at this point.
Right now, I'm still committed a 2012 release.
Now, for a final little batch of screenshots:
ToP%2012-21-12%2001.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2002.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2003.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2004.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2005.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2006.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2007.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2008.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2009.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2010.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2011.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2012.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2013.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2014.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2015.png
ToP%2012-21-12%2016.png

Aeana

Considering how long it has been coming, I'm glad it'll finally be released. Sadly, I'm not interested in playing any version of ToP besides the Cross version anymore, but I'm sure it'll be good.

Wasn't this version already translated 3 or 4 years ago? (with a Christmas release IIRC)
Given the number of untranslated Tales games, it seems a bit counterproductive to focus on stuff already translated.

This was the original translation of Tales of Phantasia that started work a long time ago. It's incredibly ambitious with it's features and Cless is a little bit of a perfectionist, so it doesn't surprise me that it has taken this long. But I'm seriously looking forward to playing it.

I just wish someone would put in the effort to translate Tales of Phantasia X (a PSP remake that was included with Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X)

pje122

Posted by Cless on 12/29/2012
Beta testing turnout has been smaller than I'd hoped. But things continue to be just fine as I do my second run through the game trying some things I didn't during my first. The patch is definitely still on track for 2012.
Anyway, the main purpose of this post is to help people prepare for the upcoming release. Back when we released the demo, there were some reports of people having problems getting the patch to apply. Apparently, even from people claiming to have used an original disc as a source. They probably received the XD3_INVALID_INPUT error. The fact is, the patch format we use, xdelta, requires the file being patched to be a 100% bit-for-bit copy of the one it was created from in order for it to function. It's a great deal more sophisticated than the old IPS format which is nothing more than a simple list of differences which doesn't support insertions or deletions.
Unfortunately, one of the quirks of the PS1 disc format to save space is to store streamed audio in Mode 2/XA sectors, which contain no error correction data at all. Therefore, damage to Mode 2/XA sectors is significantly more likely to result in bit reading errors and bad ISO dumps. Basically, ISOs that won't work with our patches.
So, if XA data can be messed up that easily, releasing a patch in a format requiring an exact twin may seem a tad awkward. Well, maybe. I personally like it because it ensures people will be playing the exact same copy I have. This helps eliminate tech support nightmares and the nightmares of tracking down bugs that may not even exist in a proper copy.
But none of that should matter too much anymore. I think I have landed on a solution to this for most people: PAR2. Traditionally, PAR2 has been used as a means to repair broken or incomplete downloads on Usenet, but we can use it here as a LEGAL solution to help ensure people with a bad dump of the game, regardless of how they obtained it, can still use our patch, and wind up with a functionally precise copy.
On the forum, I have posted a new patching instructions thread. If you had problems patching the old demo and/or just want to make sure the disc image you intend to patch will work, I encourage you to download the demo patch from the very outdated project page and test it with the new instructions. If it works out, you can be pretty much assured that the full patch we will soon be releasing will work just as well.

http://www.tales-cless.org/

Foffy

Banned
Does this mean progress on the Tales of Destiny remake and Tales of Destiny 2 can finally become priorities? ;_;

i love how cless is kinda a perfectionnist ..he actually went from 99% complete ( february 2012 ) to 100% ( december 2012 )

Just incredible...
But the real news is that he actually stick to his goals and delivered ...
such a good guy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Considering how long it has been coming, I'm glad it'll finally be released. Sadly, I'm not interested in playing any version of ToP besides the Cross version anymore, but I'm sure it'll be good.
Yeah, same. I can't go back to the older versions outside of the ToPX version anymore.

No spell freeze makes a difference!

pje122

Well, now that I'm back from my ban, I guess I can update this thing again...

Posted by Cless on 1/6/2013
So, Tales of Phantasia's been out for a week (it's still a bit hard to believe even for me). And the burning question is... Where do we go from here? Which project's next? Actually, I'm not sure there's a clear-cut answer to that.
Well, first, there's the long-forgotten and not-especially-loved Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon, so let's get it out of the way. This game has always been a pain to work on with all of its limitations. Nothing has been done with it in years. It's on hiatus and I have no idea when or if it'll be resumed. Perhaps many of its limitations could be overcome with some extensive program-code-level hacking, but there really isn't a whole lot of personal desire to go back to it at this point. The game has also since received a Tales of Destiny-esque ground-up remake for the PlayStation Portable, which is, in all likelihood, the better game by countless orders of magnitude.
So...that leaves Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut and Tales of Destiny 2. I think, for the time being, it'd be best to consider them becoming active simulatenously. There is quite a bit of crossover between them, not just because they are connected at a story level and share terminology, characters and things, but also because they're so similar on a hacking/technical level. A lot of things we can do with one can be applied to the other.
You might remember last year that I worked on some back-end restructuring for ToD:DC during some Phantasia downtime. That still needs to be finished up and it's what I intend to work on first. With just some light modification, most of that code can be recycled for ToD2. I think it makes the most sense to just concentrate on finishing that up for ToD:DC, and then begin the porting to ToD2. Therefore, I suppose it will appear on the surface as though ToD:DC will be taking the spotlight.
That being said, I did mostly finish up the restructuring of the main script and skit script stuff. What needs to be done now is the menu/interface text. I actually did get a head start on it during my recent community absence. The whole thing's actually a bit more complicated than the script stuff, mainly in regards to text strings whose pointers are embedded in the program code. In a nutshell, program-code-embedded pointers make it difficult to relocate their corresponding text strings terribly far from their original position, and with what I have planned, I need to be able to relocate them anywhere. I've devised a method to make doing this easier, and its implementation is mostly finished. I need to take it slow and careful though, because a mistake could be disastrous.
After that, IF I'm not forgetting anything, I'll just need to make new text dumping and insertion tools for the smaller things that remain. Shouldn't be a big deal. I suppose once we reach this point, the menu patch for ToD:DC ought to be around the corner. I hope, anyway. I won't be giving any ETAs until we at least reach this point.
Then comes the ToD2 stuff as mentioned before. There's not much more needing to be said about that project except that the translator situation hasn't changed since the December 2011 news update. I hope we can get that sorted out. I'll be looking into doing some additional ASM hacks on that game and will definitely be giving it a new font--I finally managed identify the font that ToD PS2 uses, and it's what I'll be implementing for some nice consistency between the projects.
As useless as this might be, I would like to remind people that none of this is going to happen overnight, even with ToP not being there to hold us back anymore. Don't expect frequent updates. And definitely don't freak out when we're not updating every week. Translating games isn't a job, nor is it our only hobby.
I've also decided I don't want to continue doing news in the same way we had been doing for ToP the last few years. No more short forum posts about every little thing we've done. No silly "twitter-like" thread to dump that kind of stuff into as that "to-do list" thread kind of became. We'll mostly be returning to the occasional, detailed front page update kind of setup.

Please focus on ToD PS2, Cless...

pje122

I’ve decided to reveal all my secret projects. Read more to find out what I’m working on!

Tales of Destiny: Director’s Cut (PS2)

I will continue to reiterate what I’ve said before – as long as I’m still alive and haven’t got some kind of C&D, I will get this game translated. That said, I feel terrible that I’ve been stringing it along as long as I have. There really hasn’t been major progress on Destiny since we first released screenshots. The menu remains very near completion (excluding the summary text). At this point, the goal is still to get a menu patch out in the near term. We’re pretty close. The backend transition from text files to spreadsheets is taking longer than I think Cless or I originally anticipated, which has resulted in this unfortunate delay. In the long term, it’s going to make the testing and editing much easier, so while I know we can’t make up all the time we’ve lost, hopefully it will be worth it in the end. The script is not yet in a format that I can work with, so I really haven’t even started on that save for a few test scene. There are still a lot of unknowns in PS2 translation, so it’s rarely smooth sailing with this project. Every time it seems like we’re near a breakthrough, there’s another wall waiting. If it’s any consolation, Tales of Destiny is closer to being an active project than it has been for over a year.

Tales of Hearts (NDS)

Absolute Zero is doing a joint project with KAJITANI-EIZAN’s Patch Site: Reimagination. I’m handling the translation side of Tales of Hearts. I officially joined his project when he was getting ready to release his first demo. I was originally just going to be doing a little bit of QC on the script, but, well, here we are. If there is a project that actually was delayed by Tempest, it’s Hearts. My goal with powering through to the end of Tempest was to clear my plate for Hearts and that’s why Hearts is my primary focus right now. Kaji has been working his ass off on this game. Seriously. The stuff he’s put into his Translator’s Cut is crazy and awesome. Some people have ironically been giving Kaji a hard time when the fault really lies with me, so please redirect all complaints about slowness to me in the future. The game is currently translated up to Hansella, which is the third town. My goal is to have the first continent done by the end of the year, but I really hope I’m further along than that. I can’t really give you a timeline on the final release, but I can pretty much guarantee that my next Tales release will be our collaborative Hearts patch.

Tales of Phantasia X and Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP)

Until a few weeks ago, I had intended for Destiny and Hearts to be my final Tales translations, but there was always a caveat – I had long since decided that I would jump at the chance to work on the best version of Phantasia and it’s sequel. Just recently the addition of an excellent debugger to the PPSSPP emulator has made it possible to start my dream project. I’m going to be translating Tales of Phantasia X basically from scratch. While it will remain an Absolute Zero project, I talked to Cless and we’re going to coordinate on the terminology to try and create what I hope will be the ultimate version of ToP. Hopefully this will once and for all end the debate about which version of Phantasia you should play. Additionally, I’m going to be translating Narikiri Dungeon X, the fantastic remake of the sequel to Tales of Phantasia. While these two games were released on a single UMD in Japan, we’re going to treat them as two separate releases. Right now NDX is actually further along because it’s easier to hack than ToPX will be, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it will be released first. These projects are still in their very early stages. I would say the NDX menu is probably around 50% complete.

Prioritizing Translation Projects

There was recently a question on the Phantasian Productions forums that more or less “Why have you been working on crappy games instead of Destiny?” I thought it was a good question because I know that many of you are wondering the same thing. I’ve addressed this to some degree previously, but much of it bears repeating. So now that you know what all I’m working on, I want to try and answer that question as best I can.

First of all, let me say that what Tales fans want from us is a moving goalpost. There are a lot of people that want Tales of Destiny done, but many of those same people were thankful for Innocence and even Tempest. I personally consider Tales of Destiny to be the best game that I’m working on, but I have never considered it a waste to translate other games in the mean time. It’s really not possible for me to give you a complete idea of all of the various things I have to juggle and I know that most people probably don’t care anyway. I try as best I can to keep all of my projects moving, but you have to understand that these kinds of unpaid team efforts have their ups and downs. Destiny has been “down” for a while. I could have kept poking at Destiny and it would be a little bit further along than it is, but I know that Cless has a lot of things to juggle too. Sometimes Kingcom doesn’t have as much time as I do to work on a game, but I just do what I can and occupy myself until he can get back to it. Often he’s the one waiting on me. Kaji has been working a lot harder than I have on Hearts, but he never demands anything, he just keeps up his hard work and tries to help motivate (or, necessarily, guilt) me into getting things moving. This isn’t a full time job for any of us, so I just do the best I can and trust that my partners are doing the same. It wouldn’t be fair of me to put pressure on them because I have different expectations for the project. That’s the shared understanding that allows us to work together on something over what can be years.

I do want to talk briefly about the various projects that I’ve worked on and why I worked on them.

When I started on Tales of Phantasia, the SNES version had been around for ages, Cless was working on his version, and the GBA version had just been released, wasn’t that good enough? To be honest, it really wasn’t for me. I managed to play the GBA version once through, but that’s something I can’t say for the SNES version. The PSX version of Phantasia and the PSP versions that it spawned are Tales of Phantasia as it was meant to be experienced. So to me, it was worth every second that it took to get it translated and patched. I’m sure that Cless feels the same way. Cless and I could have worked to combine our efforts into a single project and I sometimes wish we had, but looking back on it, we wouldn’t have so many translated Tales games if it weren’t for us deciding to go our separate ways at the time. I think we both learned a lot by doing things our own way and it has made every project since better for it.

A lot of people liked Tales of Innocence less than I did. I thought the cast was really fun and the reincarnation concept was pretty neat, but I’ll admit it’s far from the best game in the series. The dungeon design is terrible and it’s pretty rough around the edges. That being said, there is nothing I have worked on that helped me to grow more as a translator than Tales of Innocence. For that reason alone, the project was worth doing. Also, if Kingcom and Tales of Innocence hadn’t come along, I am almost certain that Tales of Destiny would have been my only Tales translation project after Phantasia. I’ve decided to spread my efforts out rather than concentrate on that one project. I’m sure people who love Tales of Destiny above all else wish I hadn’t, but there are also hundreds of thousands of players who were able to enjoy other Tales games in the mean time because I made that decision. It’s really hard for me to consider that a waste.

Tales of the Tempest is a downright terrible game. We worked on it because, well, just the idea of it was funny to us. It’s a game that surely would never have been translated if we didn’t do it. We’d watched several GBAtemp efforts to translate it fall apart. We could do it, sure, but no one would ever seriously want us to. But what if we did? What would people say and think if we provided a good patch for a bad game? When I’m watching anime, I try to watch a good mix of shows – I want to watch masterpieces, yes, but will I really be able to appreciate just how good they are if I don’t see how badly they could’ve gone? I think that if you really want to call yourself a fan of the Tales series, you should play Tempest to see what once passed for a main entry in the series. And in the end, as much as we laughed at ourselves for working on such a stupid game, it really wasn’t holding up much else. I have invested much more time working on the yet unreleased Tales of Destiny menu than I did on the whole of Tempest. It’s a short game and I think the Tales fandom is better off now that they have the opportunity to experience it for all of its flaws.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that we’re dealing with a lot of competing expectations from the fans on top of having our own lives and priorities to deal with. What I choose to work on at any given time isn’t necessarily going to be what the majority of people want me to work on. I’m weighing all of my options, I’m considering my free time and my schedule, and I’m doing the best that I can to get you more translated Tales games as soon as I possibly can. I know I might not always meet your expectations, but know that I’m thankful for those of you who stick around and give me a chance. I hope I won’t let you down.
http://a0t.co/2013/10/09/project-annoucements/

Always glad to get more updates from TH413. Knowing that he's involved in some way in the Hearts project actually leaves me feeling more confident in it someday being completed than I have in some time.

I think at this point though it's definitely time for someone to step up and tackle ToD2 and Rebirth; if Absolute Zero can finish everything nominally on their plate, those two would be the only two mothership games that can't yet be played in English.

FourMyle

Why not just learn Japanese? Learning Japanese would be a much, much faster affair than waiting 5-10 years for another release. A friend of mine started back in 2007 and by the time 09' rolled around he was playing all sorts of JP games. He's a huge fan of Japanese media and plays everything from the most obscure visual novels to the latest JP-only releases. If you are a fan of Japan like him then I recommend it, because he seems to enjoy himself a lot.

pje122

Why not just learn Japanese? Learning Japanese would be a much, much faster affair than waiting 5-10 years for another release. A friend of mine started back in 2007 and by the time 09' rolled around he was playing all sorts of JP games. He's a huge fan of Japanese media and plays everything from the most obscure visual novels to the latest JP-only releases. If you are a fan of Japan like him then I recommend it, because he seems to enjoy himself a lot.
It's not like I'm just waiting around for this single game while they work on it. There's plenty of other stuff to play.
And the idea of learning something like Japanese... not very realistic for most gamers outside of Japan. There are so many other things vying for my time in my life, and besides time I don't have the patience or perseverance for something like that.

Always glad to get more updates from TH413. Knowing that he's involved in some way in the Hearts project actually leaves me feeling more confident in it someday being completed than I have in some time.

I think at this point though it's definitely time for someone to step up and tackle ToD2 and Rebirth; if Absolute Zero can finish everything nominally on their plate, those two would be the only two mothership games that can't yet be played in English.

There's already a team working on Rebirth.

Edit: NVM, site name is filtered. Just search "Tales of Rebirth Translation" on Google.

Why not just learn Japanese?

Japanese is maybe the single hardest widely-spoken language for a native English speaker to learn. You're talking 2000+ hours of direct instruction plus study and conversational immersion to develop a solid working knowledge starting from nothing. Most people would be hard-pressed to develop even a workable knowledge of Japanese in five years unless they could devote a significant part of their life to it.

Learning enough to navigate menus and parse dialogue with a guide can definitely be worthwhile for many people, and it's an admirable effort (learning another language is a great thing no matter what inspires the choice to do so) but for the most part it's not going to be particularly equivalent to playing games with full comprehension.

Eusis

The Tales of Hearts translation has been cancelled since Hearts R is going to have an official localization later this year.

http://a0t.co/2014/04/18/tales-of-heartbreak/
Given the dubious nature of ToHR it does seem like it's more a translation that should be postponed rather than outright scrapped. Push people towards the legitimate official release, then tackle the very different DS game for those who still want to play that specifically.

t26

Given the dubious nature of ToHR it does seem like it's more a translation that should be postponed rather than outright scrapped. Push people towards the legitimate official release, then tackle the very different DS game for those who still want to play that specifically.

Some people would just pass on the Vita version if they know DS version is coming. Now that it is canceled, it is either playing Vita version or not playing it at all.

Eusis

Some people would just pass on the Vita version if they know DS version is coming. Now that it is canceled, it is either playing Vita version or not playing it at all.
Well, I guess that's a good reason to announce it like that whether or not they considered my angle.

t26

Well, I guess that's a good reason to announce it like that whether or not they considered my angle.

Even if they want to restart the translation, they won't make any announcement until after the Vita version is out for a while. Just like Tales of Phantasia X translation now won't affect Tales of Phantasia GBA.

Top Bottom