• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden gems in the Wii library.

pots555

So, I got nostalgic today and went trough my old Wii games. I was surprised to find some very good ones in there. Here is the list of the few that I actually want to replay.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Saw a thread about it and decided to try it again. It’s been so long ago that I don’t remember much of it. I am actually quite surprised by it. Very tense atmosphere and the graphics, particularly the snow, are great.

Cursed Mountain. Just remembered that I actually have the collector’s edition of this one. Great atmosphere for a horror game. If I remember correctly, the motion controls were not very good.

Endless Ocean & Blue World. I bought my Wii U hoping there would be a sequel. They are such relaxing games! Tried the both today and sadly, the graphics have not aged well.

Ski & Shoot. Ok! I know I’m the only one in the world that enjoyed this game. I love cross country skiing and this game nailed it. I actually finished the career mode twice!

Fragile Dreams. A masterpiece in my opinion. I got it with the soundtrack and it’s one of the most beautiful game I have experienced. Fantastic.

Calling. I can’t believe I still have a copy of this. A very creepy Japanese horror game.

I also bought The Trauma Team games and a fun little cooking title called Order Up!.

I would like some recommendations for hidden gems on the system. I want to build up my collection with creative and different games. Thanks!

120v

Geometry Wars Galaxies

the real sequel to Geometry Wars. shame it's relegated to Wii but more excuse not to throw your Wii in the closet i guess. Geometry Wars 3 kinda picked up on the concept but still nowhere near as good

Ubername

Banned
Geometry Wars Galaxies

the real sequel to Geometry Wars. shame it's relegated to Wii but more excuse not to throw your Wii in the closet i guess. Geometry Wars 3 kinda picked up on the concept but still nowhere near as good

That's on DS too

I thought Conduit was a fantastic experience on the Wii, though.

120v

That's on DS too

thought about mentioning it but it's kind of gimped and the physics aren't exactly 1:1. for example bullets will pass through tails of the centipede things.

good enough for the time and hardware but not really a port

Cygnus X-1

Fragile Dreams had an amazing Soundtrack and a unique atmosphere. The storyline was also remarkably interesting and engaging. Beautiful drawings as well:

fragile-dreams-farewell-ruins-of-the-moon-20100317112648910-000.jpg

Here's an extract of the opening sequence: Fragile Dreams - To all People

My only regret is that the commands weren't that great - sometimes I struggled to produce a sequenced attack - the timing was really difficult. And there wasn't a lot of variety in the moves - which also was a pity.

I don't know what are your feelings on this though... :)

Shizzlee

Wii version of Rodea the Sky Soldier is really good. Don't go anywhere near the 3DS and Wii U versions. The changes make them trash and they feel like a completely different game.

I can't remember the name of the game, but wasn't the JRPG by the guy that made Lost Odyssey on 360 supposed to be really good?

That, Fragile, and Mario Galaxy always seemed like games I'd buy day one if I ever got a Wii.

moomoo14

I can't remember the name of the game, but wasn't the JRPG by the guy that made Lost Odyssey on 360 supposed to be really good.

That's The Last Story, right? I remember really liking it. The graphics were pretty impressive for a Wii game, and it was pretty fun, too.

Geometry Wars Galaxies

I second this. It was an amazing sequel that really should be ported to other platforms. Geometry Wars 2 was quite disappointing to me by comparison.

Evil Carrot

Has anyone seen Cloud?
There are tons, but i'll throw out a few names just to motivate a bit. These are all worth a go if the genre appeals to you. If the image appeals look them up on Youtube and such, very fun and unique titles.

Dokapon Kingdom

Dokapon-Overworld.jpg

Fishing Resort

fishing-resort-20110830033311418-3516882.jpg

Kororinpa (there are 2 games in the series for the US)

kororinpa1.jpg

Klonoa (remake of the first game on ps1)

large.jpg

Zack & Wiki

Zack_and_Wiki_-_Wii_-_2.jpg

pots555

Wow! Fishing Resort looks great but it’s so expensive! Ouch! I’m gonna have to pass on that one. Thank everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming!

Evil Carrot

Has anyone seen Cloud?
Wow! Fishing Resort looks great but it's so expensive! Ouch! I'm gonna have to pass on that one. Thank everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming!

Yikes, I actually had no idea, I have the rod/game bundle upstairs and didn't think anything of it, i'd definitely not be rushing in at those prices.

While it's not an obscure title, i'd throw out a mention to Sonic Colors as well. The series has a pretty bad reputation and for good reason, but that particular game is an excellent entry and probably the only really great one on the system. I imagine many would skip it just because of the name, but take a look at it if you're unfamiliar.

The system is filled with great games though, you can definitely nab a few hundred games on it that would be worth playing depending on your taste, and I imagine most of them cost a pittance these days. I personally consider it the last big push for the B level productions console wise, so it's not for everyone.

basik

Deadly creatures..wouldnt call it a gem but its unique.

The last story didnt get the attention it deserved.

Bomberman blast on eshop but the online is gone now.

Lost winds on eshop.

Battlechili

Banned
No mention of Pandora's Tower? It's one of the best Zelda games out there and definitely the best Operation Rainfall game I'd argue. Lots and lots of puzzle filled dungeons with a Majora's Mask style time constraint where your greatest tool is a long chain. A really fun game, especially if your biggest issue with Majora's Mask was it's lack of dungeons.

The classical music soundtrack was also nice.

Manus

Little-Kings-Story.jpg

Little Kings Story if your a fan of Pikmin. I think it got a PC port which I'm pretty sure was a bad port unless that got fixed.

No mention of Pandora's Tower? It's one of the best Zelda Castlevania games out there and definitely the best Operation Rainfall game I'd argue. Lots and lots of puzzle filled dungeons with a Majora's Mask style time constraint where your greatest tool is a long chain. A really fun game, especially if your biggest issue with Majora's Mask was it's lack of dungeons.

The classical music soundtrack was also nice.

Fixed for you fam.

kunonabi

Castlevania Judgment - Look past the visuals and you have a really sold arena fighter with a surprisingly competitive online scene while it was up. Great music and sense of humor too.

Dead Space Extraction - best game in the series

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two - Way better than the awful HD ports

Elebits - I don't think it's that hidden but I only played for the first time this year and it was really quite fantastic

Eyeshield 21 The Fields Strongest Warrior - Sort of like Nintendo's take on Tecmo Bowl

Fragile Dreams - Farewell Ruins of the Moon - Possibly the most atmospheric and emotional game from the generation

Night of the Sacrifice - simple but effective horror game that only came out in Japan

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - best PoP since Sands of Time

Takt of Magic - Japanese only spiritual follow-up to Lost Magic on the DS.

So many others I could mention.

herzausstein

Neo Member
Muramasa the Demon Blade was a well done game. Beautifully done graphics as well.

The Last story and Pandora's tower are the lesser thought of games from operation rainfall but they were both pretty good.

Red steel 2 made some really good improvements over the original.

Mad world is a great over the top violent game.

Fire emblem radiant Dawn didn't get the love it deserves

Two games that some how ended up being my faves, were the WiiWare game Final Fantasy CC My Life as a King and the EA shovelware game SimAnimals.

I don't know why haha I was in university, bored during the summer semester, and only had a Wii set-up at the time lol, and I even rented it from Blockbuster o.0 but damn it, I wanted to find all the rare animals!

FF CC My Life as a King was genuinely bad ass though, Dread Pirate outfit 4 life.

Ultimadrago

Bakugan: Battle Brawlers - You toss monster toys, they smash each other in decorated arenas while you take signature beasts from your opponent. There's almost no way to make it not sound lame, but it was one of the only Wii games worth my time with the console (and that doesn't add up to many).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Hopefully some of the wiis best games will come to the switch.

Nintendo have so much great content on the Wii and wiiu that I'm sure many switch owners have not yet played.

DKPOWPOW

Red Steel 2 was amazing. A devil may cry action like FPS with motion controls that controlled like a dream. Sure the environments were a bit barren, but man the fighting was so satisfying. A real shame we never got a third entry on the Wii U.

Excite Truck is one of the best arcade racers of all time. Bots was a bit too wacky for my tastes.

House of the Dead: Overkill was hilarious and pure fun. Probably the best on rails shooter ever made.

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition was a great port. The motion controls were very well done and made the game a blast to play.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is the best licensed fighting game ever made. They threw out the terrible IR aiming of 2 and had optional (but great) motion controls that made every fight far more exciting. Along with a a huge roster and tons of content, this was a true gem.

Airola

Boom Blox is the best game to show Wii Remote's potential after Wii Sports.

It's not really a hidden game since it was popular and got Steven Spielberg's name attached to it, but I see it rarely mentioned in Wii game discussions.

I think it's essential to have in any Wii game collection.

Narroo

Fragile Dreams. A masterpiece in my opinion. I got it with the soundtrack and it’s one of the most beautiful game I have experienced. Fantastic.

I disagree! This game was forgettable and mediocre! The gameplay was janky and the story sucked. It was slightly pretentious and tried the whole 'tragedy of the last people in the Apocalypse angle', but it failed to deliver for me, I'd take OP's recommendations with a grain of salt.

I thought Silent Hill: Shattered Memories would be a hidden gem, but the frustrating, unresponsive and no fun chase sequences make it just another turd.

sublimit

Banned
The Wii is my second favorite console in terms of hidden gems (the first being the PS2).To this day i still find unique,quirky games that interest me even if they have their share of problems.

Sleepydays

Banned
The Konami Rebirth series on wiiware was fantastic: Contra, Castlevania and Gradius, I believe.

Off the top of my head: Lost in Shadow got no attention and is really beautifully presented and executed; Elebits was pretty darn good, too.

For me I really loved Mad World, for those who haven't played it, its done all in a black and white animated style with red and feels very "Sin City." Its also ultra violent as your main weapon is a chainsaw attached to your arm.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Very good entries all around in this thread, but one gem is indeed often overlooked: Dewy's Adventure -- a puzzle/platformer/exploration with a superb control mechanics twist -- an actual learning curve! Also, some of my all-time favorite boss fights are in that little gem.

StarErik

Neo Member
Another Code: R - A Journey Into Lost Memories, released only in Japan and Europe. The sequel to to the DS game, known as Trace Memory in America. I love it!

Malio

Gonna throw in Red Steel 2 again, it deserved a lot better. What an improvement over the first one. Very Borderlands-y.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was another amazing hidden gem.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Game only did 1.5 million (global) but had a really addicting multiplayer with paintball, iconic characters and solid level designs. I even think it had a ranking system, with stats and everything. Oh and the bundled controller was slick...
Gold_classic_controller_pro.JPG

Not exactly a hidden gem, but rather a game that I feel is overlooked.

SI_Wii_EpicMickey_enGB.jpg

Wasn't overlooked. It was hyped because people were expecting Deus Ex or System Shock because of Warren Spector. Ended up being mediocre.

I agree with Zack and Wiki.

Elebits is a great collect-a-thon. A complex game of hide-and-seek where you find all the elebits hiding around the house.

Trauma Team is outstanding. Very little of that super virus nonsense, and more actual surgeries for real injuries. Harrowing forensic science story, too.

Top Bottom