• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

pa22word

Hey all I find myself returning to Doom again after beating Doom 4 a couple of times, and for some strange reason gzdoom.exe is crashing the file explorer in Windows 10 everytime I try to touch it. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Wait, it's crashing explorer.exe? That sounds more like a Windows problem than a gzdoom.exe problem, since programs don't usually take down Windows Explorer with them.

Also, generally if [G]ZDoom crashes, it'll pop up an error-reporting window so you can submit information about the crash, so if you're not getting that, or if you don't get a bog-standard Windows "hey your program stopped responding" pop-up indicating it's GZDoom, it's proooobably not the source port.

JNT

Does Doom 64 EX generate a Doom 64 WAD that is compatible with PrBoom or does it need a modified executable to run properly?

PrBoom doesn't support Doom 64.

In fact, nothing but Doom 64 EX supports Doom 64 at the moment. There's a branch for it in ZDoom, but it's not really complete.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I do hope G/ZDoom gets proper support for DOOM 64 one day. Just because I want it all in one place and don't want to have to boot Windows just to play. I don't want to play the TC either just because I want the real thing.

hlhbk

You guys still insist on parroting this huh?

Think for yourself buddy, it ruins nothing, Classic Doom is still there.

I am thinking for myself hence why I have the stance I do. Brutal Doom isn't really Doom and it never will be. It's something incredibly worse that ruins the game.

Ixion

I do hope G/ZDoom gets proper support for DOOM 64 one day. Just because I want it all in one place and don't want to have to boot Windows just to play. I don't want to play the TC either just because I want the real thing.

I still haven't played Doom 64 because of this reason. I have a Mac and it's just too complicated to run EX as of now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still haven't played Doom 64 because of this reason. I have a Mac and it's just too complicated to run EX as of now.
It runs fine for me in Parallels, but it's just too much overhead for just this game. I really want a native version. Only makes sense to add compatibility to the official ZDoom branches. Just keep the whole family together. ZDoom already plays every single other WAD-based FPS from that time. And 64 is WAD based. It's main difference is the ability to have scripts instead of just single triggers. The rest is all just standard DOOM engine stuff. ZDoom can already do scripts since Hexen uses them too. Not that they're exactly the same format or anything. I'm surprised it's taking this long. Strife should have been longer since they needed to reverse engineer it completely due to lack of source code. (Strife makes as many changes if not more to how the engine works than Hexen does.)

Rockk

Anyone here got any opinions on Ancient Aliens? It's a new megawad made mostly by skillsaw (who did Valiant) as well as a handful of others. It's very impressive considering how Valiant came out a year ago and he's already gotten a new 32 maps to go.

I'm only at Map 09, which is kicking my ass as I'm trying to do UV pistol start run, but it's quite good. I think I prefer Valiant but I would still give his a 9/10. Valiant just felt a lot more fresh gameplay wise. I much prefer he openness of Valiant and how enemies had lots of opportunities to see you from across the map and send a flurry of projectiles at you. It felt like you constantly had to be doing circles and slowly clearing out the map from all the perched imps, spiders, and mancubi. Hopefully a Valiant 2 comes out someday but I'm not that disappointed.

Ancient Aliens is a lot more close knit and often times the start of maps have large amounts of enemies that you have to ignore until you get geared up. Just a different style. It definitely seems tougher then Valiant as well but maybe that has more to do with how I play. Most maps have me finishing the level with 20-30 health. But since I'm restarting each level with only a pistol it actually does not matter at all. The one benefit!

My favorite map so far was probably map 7. I like the main arena square with the three elevations and how you had to constantly go up and down. Fun stuff.

And if you're still not convinced here's some beautiful screenshots.

KZNlx1Nh.png

AyxPkxuh.png

uoZqrzMh.png

uEKPAMRh.png

Tizoc

If i am playing doom 1 for the first time should i get the expanded and hi res texture mods or just dive in?

Sakwoff

If i am playing doom 1 for the first time should i get the expanded and hi res texture mods or just dive in?

Don't bother with that stuff. Get a Source Port that is to your liking (I recommend ZDoom, PrBoom+ or Crispy Doom if you want it a little more classic) and have at it.

I think it actually looks better with original, not-filtered textures. The hi-res stuff gets you this weird "super simple geometry + super hires textures" look that imo looks just bad. Doom has a very cohesive style to it that has aged really well.

Similarly with gameplay mods. They can be fun to mess around with, but they're certainly not the way you want to play the game for the first time.

I'd recommend GZDoom over ZDoom, if only because you get the option of a hardware renderer with it (you can basically turn it back into vanilla ZDoom with "vid_renderer 0" in the console). A fairly accurate one, too; just set the sector lighting to "Software" mode and the texture filtering to GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR (for a pixellated look without Moiré effects), and you should be set.

Other than that, seconding PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom. It's basically scaling back how many advanced features have been added, how many bugs fixed, how many quirks of the old engine have been removed (for better or worse).

(G)ZDoom has the most new shit, but it can deviate pretty far from the original experience as a result (one notable loss is how you can't play back the vanilla demos anymore).

PrBoom+ (and its hardware-renderer variant, GLBoom+) has less bells and whistles. That said, it's based on the Boom and MBF source ports, which added a lot of useful features to the point that most new MegaWADs these days are developed around them. Thus, it's good if you wanna play one of those mapsets while still having a closer-to-vanilla experience than (G)ZDoom offers.

Crispy Doom is for when you wanna go really vanilla, and doesn't even support Boom-format maps, but still has a higher resolution for you to work with (although if you need to go really, really vanilla, Chocolate Doom can't really be topped).

"vid_fps 1" in the console.

...apparently. I actually never knew about this feature.

You'll have to turn it on every time you boot the game up, though. You can get around that by adding it to a line in autoexec.cfg, at least.

This came out a couple weeks ago but I figure I'll update the thread on it, the Chocolate Doom 3.0 Beta is out. The notable upgrade is arbitrary resolution scaling, it also seems to have fixed some mouse input issues I had with Chocolate Doom in the past, so this is pretty much the perfect release for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Brutal Wolfenstein 4.5. It's awesome.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48035

Gggmanlives did a great review of it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8erThH8V7Q
Whoa. That's really nice. I like that they took liberties with the layouts of the levels instead of just recreating them with the flat grid structure of the original.

Edit: Apparently not? I was basing that on early screenshots where that show a much more natural level layout. But now 4.5 is just a grid again? Edit: Actually it still looks really cool even with the grid. At least the wall segments aren't unnecessarily twice as big like in the DOOM II special level.

kuYuri

Earlier this year, zDoom stopped receiving further development, in case people weren't aware. It's been my personal source port of choice thus far, but I haven't had extensive time with the other source ports either.

Earlier this year, zDoom stopped receiving further development, in case people weren't aware. It's been my personal source port of choice thus far, but I haven't had extensive time with the other source ports either.
Switch to GZDoom; it's literally ZDoom but with an (optional) OpenGL renderer, to the point that its dev was one of the lead ZDoom devs. If the renderer doesn't do it for ya, "vid_renderer 0" in the console and a reboot of the program will switch back to the software renderer you're used to.

Alternatively, try QZDoom. It's ZDoom, but its renderer is true-color.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Aww, I really want to try out Putrefier but when I try to open it in GZDoom it crashes without an error so I don't know what is causing it. Is it too big? I mean I know it has custom enemies and stuff but I've played mods with that stuff before. Is the levels too big? I dunno. But I've played WAD files with HUGE levels (And super low FPS) before like Brigandine.wad and Foursite.wad and it doesn't crash. However that one WAD file with the thousands of enemies all in a grid doesn't run for me either. (And if it did would be down to less than 1FPS) So I don't know what causes it.

I'm on macOS Sierra. I really wanted to play Putrefier. ICARUSLIV3S makes it look so fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCkLfoeLcF0

Refyref

ZDoom development ended? That's a bummer, I wonder why. It's been a staple of the Doom scene for almost 2 decades, and pretty much the center of it as well. On the bright side, I guess, Zandronum will finally catch up, but I guess this means no more new features in a standardized, compatible manner between all the derivatives anymore.

Switch to GZDoom; it's literally ZDoom but with an (optional) OpenGL renderer, to the point that its dev was one of the lead ZDoom devs. If the renderer doesn't do it for ya, "vid_renderer 0" in the console and a reboot of the program will switch back to the software renderer you're used to.

Alternatively, try QZDoom. It's ZDoom, but its renderer is true-color.

I recommend Zandronum. It's ZDoom with GZDoom's features, but with advanced multiplayer features and netcode. It's a little behind in in terms of its base ZDoom version, but with the recent developments, it'll catch up soon enough.

ZDoom development ended? That's a bummer, I wonder why. It's been a staple of the Doom scene for almost 2 decades, and pretty much the center of it as well. On the bright side, I guess, Zandronum will finally catch up, but I guess this means no more new features in a standardized, compatible manner between all the derivatives anymore.

I recommend Zandronum. It's ZDoom with GZDoom's features, but with advanced multiplayer features and netcode. It's a little behind in in terms of its base ZDoom version, but with the recent developments, it'll catch up soon enough.
I only recommend Zandronum for multiplayer, cuz it's a hassle to set up in GZDoom proper (and even when you do get it working, it's not quite as good as Zandronum's). Otherwise, having toyed with mod development for the source port myself I sorta feel like you're understating the gap between the two; GZDoom's waaaaay ahead of Zandro, and it's gonna take years for the latter to catch up.

Aww, I really want to try out Putrefier but when I try to open it in GZDoom it crashes without an error so I don't know what is causing it. Is it too big? I mean I know it has custom enemies and stuff but I've played mods with that stuff before. Is the levels too big? I dunno. But I've played WAD files with HUGE levels (And super low FPS) before like Brigandine.wad and Foursite.wad and it doesn't crash. However that one WAD file with the thousands of enemies all in a grid doesn't run for me either. (And if it did would be down to less than 1FPS) So I don't know what causes it.

I'm on macOS Sierra. I really wanted to play Putrefier. ICARUSLIV3S makes it look so fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCkLfoeLcF0

It managed to work for me. However, no matter what I try, I can't get GZDoom to work at 60fps. It always seems to stay at the same framerate.

35FPS, perchance? If so, that's the default Doom framerate; pull down the console and make sure "cl_capfps" is off, and that "vid_maxfps" isn't set really low as well (you can pretty safely keep it at the default of 200).

Raptomex

Has anyone heard of or plays Complex Doom? I was checking it out last night and was impressed. I understand there's a Complex Doom Invasion but the only download link I found was broken. Does anyone have it? Is it strictly for Zandronum and multiplayer only?

Once I stop lazing around, I'll convert Smooth Doom's new sprites to proper Doom-palette .PNG frames so I can play maps/packs with palette changes which screw with the mod's animations. That's the mod idea on my mind lately. Idle Doom, DooD, Wobbly Shader, and other mods like them are more like Mockaward candidates than useful mods to me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Decided to start with Vanguard instead of Valiant, since Vanguard is shorter. Pretty damn good so far, I think I'm on level 10 out of 13.

The difficulty REALLY ramps up tho. In a good way.

Valiant's only 5 maps, though. The only map that took me a while was the last since that's a low-to-mid-tier slaughtermap.

Also, since shit's hitting the fan and NeoGAF's fate isn't quite certain, are there any objections to a Doom-GAF Discord server? I'm ready to make one and would share it via e-mail quote.

Top Bottom