• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

ethelred

LinkAMN said:
Bollocks. If Sega would utilize the power of the Wii properly, a PS2 version would require a major downgrade. Remember, the GCN blew the PS2 out of the water graphically, and the Wii is more powerful than the GCN.

If people want developers to put effort into Wii games, then Wii fans need to stop angling for every single game under the sun to get downgraded ports to the Wii. When that happens, of course the game isn't going to be made tailored to whatever the Wii's strengths are -- it's not a Wii game and it wasn't designed for it. This game shouldn't exist on the Wii at all.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Calcaneus said:
O.M.G.

I totally had that comic! I used to love those Archie Sonics.

Still makin' them.

sth189.jpg

castle007

Banned
Hero of legend said:
sonic_rgb.png

The original image came from Sonic Cult, and it is GIGANTIC, and it had a grey background. When I uploaded it to my Photobucket account, it resized it to the perfect size, made the background perfectly white, AND kept it's .png image type!

Here's the original pic:

http://www.sonic-cult.org/upcoming/unleashed/sonic_rgb.png

if you look at the reflection in his shoe in the big picture you can make out the outline of the Nintendo ON

Calcaneus

They should really use more characters from the comics and the cartoons, the ones they churn out for the new games aren't doing it for me. Antoine should definitely be in the games.

Innotech

Banned
ethelred said:
If people want developers to put effort into Wii games, then Wii fans need to stop angling for every single game under the sun to get downgraded ports to the Wii. When that happens, of course the game isn't going to be made tailored to whatever the Wii's strengths are -- it's not a Wii game and it wasn't designed for it. This game shouldn't exist on the Wii at all.
say what now?

ethelred

Innotech said:
say what now?

If you find that you're often getting lost, try taking a straight line from Point A to Point B. If you would read the entire post and not the one line you chose to highlight, I think my point is pretty obvious.

You ask for developers to downgrade every single game designed around an HD system in order that the Wii not be neglected, well, you're going to get games that are downgraded and have poorly designed and tacked-on controls. It's this inability to let HD consoles have whatever games are designed for them remain exclusive for them. No developer is going to strain themselves pushing every ounce of the Wii's power for a downgraded port.

omg rite said:
lol.

It's ethelred. What do you expect?

Do you ever do anything except whinge about other posters who have somehow managed to offend your delicate wilting flower sensibilities?

ZeoVGM

Banned
ethelred said:
Do you ever do anything except whinge about other posters who have somehow managed to offend your delicate wilting flower sensibilities?

I was.. whining?

I'm pretty sure I said 'lol' because you're being fairly typical.

I could be mistaken though!

Innotech

Banned
ethelred said:
If you find that you're often getting lost, try taking a straight line from Point A to Point B. If you would read the entire post and not the one line you chose to highlight, I think my point is pretty obvious.

You ask for developers to downgrade every single game designed around an HD system in order that the Wii not be neglected, well, you're going to get games that are downgraded and have poorly designed and tacked-on controls. It's this inability to let HD consoles have whatever games are designed for them remain exclusive for them. No developer is going to strain themselves pushing every ounce of the Wii's power for a downgraded port.
Hmm, I dont recall ever asking for every HD game to be ported nor wanting it. This one perhaps, but I couldnt care less if most HD games never made it to the Wii.
and btw I have a Garmin Navi implanted in my skull.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ethelred's arguement makes sense if you assume that this game is being made primarily on the 360 or PS3. But if the game's primary platform is the Wii or if effort is being given to all console versions, then his argument falls through.

Of course, I'm not sure why anyone is clamoring for this game to appear on their system at all. Sonic 360 didnt' exactly leave faith in the franchise for anyone

The original image came from Sonic Cult, and it is GIGANTIC, and it had a grey background. When I uploaded it to my Photobucket account, it resized it to the perfect size, made the background perfectly white, AND kept it's .png image type!

Here's the original pic:

http://www.sonic-cult.org/upcoming/u.../sonic_rgb.png

The only thing wrong with this is the intense, angry facial expression. It makes him look like a total douchebag.
btw, has everyone here seen this analysis?: http://www.seganerds.com/forums/index.php?topic=1009.0

Innotech

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
ethelred's arguement makes sense if you assume that this game is being made primarily on the 360 or PS3. But if the game's primary platform is the Wii or if effort is being given to all console versions, then his argument falls through.

Of course, I'm not sure why anyone is clamoring for this game to appear on their system at all. Sonic 360 didnt' exactly leave faith in the franchise for anyone
look at my avatar. I bleed for Sega just as much as I do Nintendo. Of course I want every Sega game I can get on the Wii. Or at the very least a similar sort of game (like SATSR to Sonic 06)

grandjedi6

Innotech said:
look at my avatar. I bleed for Sega just as much as I do Nintendo. Of course I want every Sega game I can get on the Wii. Or at the very least a similar sort of game (like SATSR to Sonic 06)

You can be a Sega fan and not be stupid at the same time. Buying stuff like Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 360 and whatever crap they are making at the time, is only encouraging them to be lazy and incompetent.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
ethelred said:

In most cases that request makes no sense. But the Wii has been pretty good to Sonic, so asking for more effort isn't asking for too much. Though it's also obvious that the Wii hardly needs to be pushed at all in order for a game to sell, it would at least be nice since there are graphically superior versions to compare it to. But there is a precedence there. At least some onus has to be put on the Wii version. It can't be treated as simply a hand me down.

Innotech

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
You can be a Sega fan and not be stupid at the same time. Buying stuff like Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 360 and whatever crap they are making at the time, is only encouraging them to be lazy and incompetent.
If I had a 360 I sure as hell wouldnt have bought Sonic06. I was very disappointed playing a demo of that game and as much as it pains me to say it, I would have left it on the shelf. SATSR however, proved to be interesting. Flawed but interesting.
And if youre referring to NiGHTS2, then fuck you, I loved it.

Teknoman

omg rite said:
Still makin' them.

sth189.jpg

I liked the old art T_T The video game centered comics (Chaotix, Adventure, Triple Trouble, Sonic CD, Sonic and Knuckles, etc.) had the best stories...

Also when did Rotor get a coat? And is Antoine still as lame as he used to be?

grandjedi6

Innotech said:
If I had a 360 I sure as hell wouldnt have bought Sonic06. I was very disappointed playing a demo of that game and as much as it pains me to say it, I would have left it on the shelf. SATSR however, proved to be interesting. Flawed but interesting.

SATSR was flawed and I didnt' really like it, but it was a move in the right direction. So I don't regret buying it that much. But Sonic Unleashed is most likely made by the creators of Sonic 360, so my trust is insanely low. I wish the SATSR would make them from now on, they were on to something, even if they messed up on the way.

Zilch

Banned
bigmakstudios said:
The only thing wrong with this is the intense, angry facial expression. It makes him look like a total douchebag.
btw, has everyone here seen this analysis?: http://www.seganerds.com/forums/index.php?topic=1009.0

I really appreciate the screencaps of the trailer in that analysis.

It's pretty cool that instead of bottomless pits underneath platforms there's a different (lower) pathway. Is Sega actually learning from their mistakes!?

kittel

Not sure if it has been posted but there's a higher quality of the video up on sonic cult.
http://www.x-cult.org/newsx/fullnews.php?id=165
There are certainly multiple paths but the lack of items and powerups make the levels a bit bland. If Sega adds more interactivity to the levels (and slows the pace down in multiple segments) I dare say we might have a promising title.

Sciz

As was mentioned a few pages back, I'd imagine the levels as we see them at the moment are still in an alpha state, well before any sort of finalized object placement. I fully expect to see more enemies and item boxes show up once we get media closer to release.

butsomuch

PR

Sonic Is Unleashed!
SEGA's newest Sonic title is set to combine amazing next gen capabilities with classic Sonic 2D gameplay!

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (April 3, 2008) – SEGA® of America and SEGA of Europe Ltd., today announced that everyone’s favourite hedgehog will be breaking new ground yet maintaining his roots, in the upcoming title, Sonic Unleashed™. Developed by renowned studio Sonic Team, the latest installment in the multi-million selling franchise, will take players on an unforgettable high-speed journey around the globe in a way never before experienced in the world of Sonic. The game is set for release later this year and will be available for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo and PLAYSTATION®2.

Sonic Unleashed is built on a powerful new “Hedgehog Engine”, which introduces seamless 3D to classic 2D camera transitions, whilst delivering a rich and expansive world with multiple paths to choose from. Under development for three years, the Hedgehog Engine produces a visually rich next generation look and feel with elements of classic Sonic gameplay mechanics. The Hedgehog engine will help re-define the gameplay experience for Sonic fans and newcomers to the franchise alike.

“By combining rich and vibrant scenery with dynamic viewpoints Sonic Unleashed will provide an immersive 3D experience whilst keeping alive the 2D gameplay elements and fantastic worlds that Sonic fans know and love” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director for SEGA Europe. “In addition to this classic Sonic gaming experience, when darkness sets in Sonic Unleashed players will be able to experience a completely new way to play as Sonic… making this his most exciting adventure yet!”

Having been broken apart by the evil Dr Eggman, it’s down to Sonic to put the pieces of the world back together again by retrieving the power of the chaos emeralds. In doing so, Sonic will find himself in a race against time and faced with an unusual situation that will challenge him in ways never before seen. By completing a wide variety of action-packed stages, spanning the seven broken continents of the world, gamers will need to unleash Sonic’s amazing abilities to save the world, and himself!

The opportunity to engage in Sonic in different ways during the day and night time levels brings a completely original way of playing to the Sonic franchise, in addition to running at high speeds in classic Sonic style, combat fighting will become possible. Super quick Sonic’s speed skills will be highlighted by four new modes, whilst the all new combat, movement and functional abilities will offer depth and variety to the game. As the sun sets in Sonic Unleashed, a different type of adventure will awaken in Sonic’s newest quest….

Sonic Unleashed is scheduled for release worldwide in late 2008.

Sciz

Sega said:
The opportunity to engage in Sonic in different ways during the day and night time levels brings a completely original way of playing to the Sonic franchise, in addition to running at high speeds in classic Sonic style, combat fighting will become possible. Super quick Sonic’s speed skills will be highlighted by four new modes, whilst the all new combat, movement and functional abilities will offer depth and variety to the game. As the sun sets in Sonic Unleashed, a different type of adventure will awaken in Sonic’s newest quest….
Damn it Sega.

Well seeing as how Sonic Team has apparently spent three years just developing the engine for this game I guess I might as well buy it.

I'd hate to see so much effort go to waste and 2.5D games are a lost art.

grandjedi6

Sonic Is Unleashed!
SEGA's newest Sonic title is set to combine amazing next gen capabilities with classic Sonic 2D gameplay!

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (April 3, 2008) – SEGA® of America and SEGA of Europe Ltd., today announced that everyone’s favourite hedgehog will be breaking new ground yet maintaining his roots, in the upcoming title, Sonic Unleashed™. Developed by renowned studio Sonic Team, the latest installment in the multi-million selling franchise, will take players on an unforgettable high-speed journey around the globe in a way never before experienced in the world of Sonic. The game is set for release later this year and will be available for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo and PLAYSTATION®2.
:lol :lol :lol

sonic_new.jpg

Teknoman

Sciz said:
Probably real. I'm strongly reminded of the SSR teaser that featured Sonic flipping a Wii remote around.

Yeah "Finally, something intresting!". Also whats that song he's whistling at the beginning? Going to be Unleashed theme song?

Proven

The tune he's whistling sounds kinda familiar, but I'm not sure if I heard it from a game or a cartoon (and by cartoon I don't mean an anime).

RagnarokX

Proven said:
The tune he's whistling sounds kinda familiar, but I'm not sure if I heard it from a game or a cartoon (and by cartoon I don't mean an anime).
Yeah, I recognize the song too, just not sure where from.

Top Bottom