• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

derFeef

No vegan food can get me to buy something from McDonald's. I hate that corporation almost as much as Nestle - and not because I am vegan but because it's a shitty corporation with shitty strategy which wasting everyone's health, time and resources.
I am really surprised it took them so long to jump on the bandwagon tho.

Very obnoxious that the same people going "we need to reduce our carbon emissions and save the planet" will mock veganism.

I guess doing anything that'd actually limit their choices is too much to ask.

Soul_Pie

Very obnoxious that the same people going "we need to reduce our carbon emissions and save the planet" will mock veganism.

Yeah, I've read a lot of articles recently that are exposing the kind of damage meat is causing not only to the environment, whether it be carbon emissions, pollution, land clearing, etc. However, the comments accompanying the articles are not supportive of people changing their diets to a more sustainable one despite it being an easy action to take at a personal level. I do think the tide is turning, albeit slowly, because there seems to be at least more awareness of the issue, but a lot of people aren't really willing to turn inward to address these problems and shoulder their share of the responsibility.

derFeef

Yeah, I've read a lot of articles recently that are exposing the kind of damage meat is causing not only to the environment, whether it be carbon emissions, pollution, land clearing, etc. However, the comments accompanying the articles are not supportive of people changing their diets to a more sustainable one despite it being an easy action to take at a personal level. I do think the tide is turning, albeit slowly, because there seems to be at least more awareness of the issue, but a lot of people aren't really willing to turn inward to address these problems and shoulder their share of the responsibility.

And this is probably not true, but I feel like most of those people are men, clamping to their precious "protein source" what is meat and their barbecue's. Eating/grilling meat is manly to many.

Famassu

Yeah, glorifying meat above all else is very much a macho thing. Not that women don't also eat a lot of meat, but men take it to a more of an extreme.

derFeef

I have two very different people in my acquaintance, both "love meat".

One is very knowledgable about the whole food-, meat- and diary industry and all the bad stuff that's happening surrounding it, including the animal cruelty. He only eats "quality" products, cooks a lot for himself and so on.

The other person does not cook at all, makes snarky comments about vegetables "tomato sauce? I want meat sauce!", buys the cheapest and most processed food and gives a shit about animals. Today he encountered an avocado and did not know what it was ("rotten orange") or what it's even remotely used for.

But still, when both see a cow or animals are point of the discussion, they only have one comment and that is "oh, my Steak!" One might think the former person should be intelligent enough to make some connections but the "it's my right to eat meat as a man" point of view is stronger.

Somehow when those articles come out, 99% of the commentators never EVER eat factory farmed meat. All their meat comes from some idyllic 1950s family run farm.

Which is actually less efficient and even worse for the environment mind you.

These people often seem to think you can change the world, without changing yourself...when many of the problems that the world is suffering directly relate back to your own behaviour, social, economic and ecological relationships...It is a form of intellectual dishonesty...even when I was eating a fair bit of meat, I still respected vegetarianism and veganism. It is a sensitive topic though...people love their meat. Even I like my meat...but the way much of it is 'produced' and the amount...I am ashamed and disgusted by.

Cornburrito: Only on aggregate...in terms of animal welfare it is better...the ecological problem is multi dimensional and exists at all scales...More sustainable meat production is much better in many ways, just unworkable at scale given the current 'sustained' demand.

derFeef

I can't explain to me why someone eats so much meat and then complains about "cows carbon dioxide emission" without making any connection as to why so many cows are bred. Like, that person is saying "cows are bad for us, damn animals, but boy I love to eat them."

ShyMel

I think a lot of it has to do with ideological purity/all or nothing and American (possibly western in general?) food culture.

Not on here specifically, but on other websites, I have noticed that when going meat-free is mentioned, opponents to it bring up bring up the exploitation of the workers who work in fruit and veggie farms. While we are of course worried about human exploitation as well, bringing them up seems like a "Well if we cannot stop their exploitation, then why bother with animal exploitation" argument. It would be great if we could get rid of all the suffering in one fell swoop our society would not allow that to happen. Also, I see comments about how vegans expect everyone to throw away all their animal product contain items, which is not true. We understand that you might have to keep using clothing, shoes, soaps, and such until you can buy vegan items.

Several of you already mentioned it, but meat is pushed heavily in American culture. I bet we can all think of several fast food places and restaurants that heavily market their meat products. Grilling is predominately marketed as for meat.

These people often seem to think you can change the world, without changing yourself...when many of the problems that the world is suffering directly relate back to your own behaviour, social, economic and ecological relationships...It is a form of intellectual dishonesty...even when I was eating a fair bit of meat, I still respected vegetarianism and veganism. It is a sensitive topic though...people love their meat. Even I like my meat...but the way much of it is 'produced' and the amount...I am ashamed and disgusted by.

Cornburrito: Only on aggregate...in terms of animal welfare it is better...the ecological problem is multi dimensional and exists at all scales...More sustainable meat production is much better in many ways, just unworkable at scale given the current 'sustained' demand.

The problem is that we love meat. Not the way it is produced or the amount. The amount and the method is merely the obvious, logical and consistent outcome to loving meat, of satisfying our demand to consume animal flesh.

Factory farming is the only way to cheaply feed so many people, if they are going to eat meat. Unless you want people to starve to death, or like half the city population spends 6 hours a day farming their own food, or spend half your income on food. Even with automatic processes agriculture is still subsidised to keep our food affordable.

The problem is we love meat. We've always loved meat. And food being plentiful and cheap to buy is a much better problem for society than too expensive and scarce, obviously. It's almost weird, like we're so affluent we can't even admit that food being plentiful and cheap is a good thing, and can only see the downside.

Historians also claim the west's revolution of cheap food is the reason it didn't follow Russia to communism. Well that's here, nor there.

I oppose this idea of divorcing love of meat and that leading to our current situation. Love of meat is THE problem we have to tackle. If we start phasing it out of culture and society, then people will follow. The market merely follows our demand which has been influenced by history and culture. Hell, even antibiotics are being phased out of animals in America due to customer demand. The market is merely reacting to our love of meat, to feed people so they don't die. We need to stop loving meat. It's not complicated in that respect.

Non-factory meat from an idyllic family farm is certainly better in terms of animal welfare (even if it still does end up in the animal's murder). I'm not denying that.

But factory farming doesn't exist for no reason. It exists to meat the insatiable demand for more and more meat. Factory farming is hundreds of times more efficient than Grandmaw and Pawpaw on the farm will ever be. The rape racks, the forcible separation if young calves from their mothers right after birth, the extreme overcrowding. It's horrible from an animal welfare perspective, but it is dozens of times more efficient at getting the end products. Factory farming uses far less land/labor/water to get the same amount of product.

If everyone who ate meat decided to eat only idyllic 1950s farm meat, we'd have an even greater ecological crisis.

I think a lot of it has to do with ideological purity/all or nothing and American (possibly western in general?) food culture.

Not on here specifically, but on other websites, I have noticed that when going meat-free is mentioned, opponents to it bring up bring up the exploitation of the workers who work in fruit and veggie farms. While we are of course worried about human exploitation as well, bringing them up seems like a "Well if we cannot stop their exploitation, then why bother with animal exploitation" argument.

Yeah. It's a an intellectually lazy defense that is increasingly popular. Perfect is the enemy of good to the average person. Unless its an issue they care about. Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.

I oppose this idea of divorcing love of meat and that leading to our current situation. Love of meat is THE problem we have to tackle. If we start phasing it out of culture and society, then people will follow. The market merely follows our demand which has been influenced by history and culture. Hell, even antibiotics are being phased out of animals in America due to customer demand. The market is merely reacting to our love of meat, to feed people so they don't die. We need to stop loving meat. It's not complicated in that respect.

Honestly, its not a problem easily tackled. The simple fact of the matter is that meat IS delicious.

The question is is whether it is delicious enough to justify the ecological damage it causes, and the suffering to the animal it causes.

A lot of people even on this site could probably be swayed by an ecological argument. But animal welfare isn't their concern. A pig isn't the same as a dog to them. And they'll use "biotruths" and "muh evoluutionary biology" to justify their feelings while pretending their feelings are rooted in logic.

Futureman

One thing that kinda irks me is how the whole “organic/non-GMO” trend seems to go hand-in-hand with vegan/vegetarianism in general. Restaurants, groceries, recipes... Pretty much anything targeted at vegans/vegetarians also pushes the anti-“GMO” rhetoric, and the inflated prices of “organic” products comes along with it. I wish vegans/vegetarians weren’t automatically assumed to be in that same group.

I can understand anti-GMO from a money/power perspective (multinational companies increasingly controlling our food supply is a bad thing) but whenever someone is anti-GMO because of health concerns I don't get it.

Famassu

I can understand anti-GMO from a money/power perspective (multinational companies increasingly controlling our food supply is a bad thing) but whenever someone is anti-GMO because of health concerns I don't get it.
Comes from the same place as anti-vaxxers and other dumb dumbs. Anything seen as "artificial" is bad and "natural" is good.

Soul_Pie

And this is probably not true, but I feel like most of those people are men, clamping to their precious "protein source" what is meat and their barbecue's. Eating/grilling meat is manly to many.

I think you're probably right, and part of the reason why there are lot more women vegans/vegetarians according to surveys. This perhaps might be more of a western thing, because it seems like there isn't such a stigma to veganism in other countries. Anyway, these people are faux tough guys anyway, actually standing up for what you believe in and having strength in your convictions despite the stigma that comes with it is something that all men should aspire to do.

derFeef

I have to constrain myself keeping out of discussion lately a lot, but I am becoming pretty good at it. So good that people who know that I am vegan start to tease me even more. It's crazy that the fact that I am vegan bothers them more than actually trying to think of the subject matter.

Plus I am not a great speaker. I may know the facts, but it's hard for me to get them across. That's why I watch a lot of James Aspey videos on YouTube. He is smart with discussions and arguments without being condescending or rude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpF2IjL57k

Famassu

So sounds like Tesco (who recently made an arrangement with one of our store chains) is bringing some vegan cheeses into Finland early next year through that arrangement. Any idea if they are any good?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Comes from the same place as anti-vaxxers and other dumb dumbs. Anything seen as "artificial" is bad and "natural" is good.

A problem with the whole GMO debacle is that if you talk about organic food, people will assume you're anti-GMO. I'm not, but I shy away from pesticide use as much as I possibly can. I've read too much back and forth about this to feel comfortable it doesn't cause great damage to any given ecology.

But in today's climate, say you eat organic food and some people will label you an anti-GMO/vaxxer/whatever in a heartbeat.

Pinkuss

So sounds like Tesco (who recently made an arrangement with one of our store chains) is bringing some vegan cheeses into Finland early next year through that arrangement. Any idea if they are any good?

They're decent but not amazing. I prefer Follow Your Heart/Vegusto/Veganic over them but their mozzarella melted on pizza was good enough melted onto a Papa Johns pizza and pretty decent when mixed with nooch in pasta (it's slightly coconutty and made by Sheese if you've had their stuff).

badflame

Banned
vegan-beer.jpg

Minamu

Hey guys, I've been thinking of making my own thread, but I thought I'd check in here first.

I'm not a vegan myself, though I've started trying some stuff out, as a fun experiment with substitutes. Problem is, my gf is a, maybe 6 months old, vegan, all aspects. This is starting to present cracks in our relationship tbh. I respect her ideals, of course animal testing is terrible for the animals etc. But I think she's becoming less and less respectful of my ideals or preferences.

I defend her life choices to both colleagues and family, and I try most of the stuff she makes for dinner without a fuss. I even specifically requested her "chicken" stew recipe two days ago because it's just so damn good :lol

But she's getting more and more preachy and condescending still. Tonight she literally asked me what I would say "if she became one of those vegans protesting with signs outside stores", and she pleaded to me to try to make more of an effort of not buying as much meat based products from here on out. Not exactly an ultimatum, but who knows, maybe next week that'll happen?

I'm not sure how to deal with this. It's an ugly derogatory term but she truly seems to escalate steadily towards becoming militant about it all, consuming all sides to her.

Sorry if this is sensitive, I don't mean to offend anyone.

.J.

Banned
Hey guys, I've been thinking of making my own thread, but I thought I'd check in here first.

I'm not a vegan myself, though I've started trying some stuff out, as a fun experiment with substitutes. Problem is, my gf is a, maybe 6 months old, vegan, all aspects. This is starting to present cracks in our relationship tbh. I respect her ideals, of course animal testing is terrible for the animals etc. But I think she's becoming less and less respectful of my ideals or preferences.

I defend her life choices to both colleagues and family, and I try most of the stuff she makes for dinner without a fuss. I even specifically requested her "chicken" stew recipe two days ago because it's just so damn good :lol

But she's getting more and more preachy and condescending still. Tonight she literally asked me what I would say "if she became one of those vegans protesting with signs outside stores", and she pleaded to me to try to make more of an effort of not buying as much meat based products from here on out. Not exactly an ultimatum, but who knows, maybe next week that'll happen?

I'm not sure how to deal with this. It's an ugly derogatory term but she truly seems to escalate steadily towards becoming militant about it all, consuming all sides to her.

Man, in a way, I feel for you. But think about this:

She’s learned about a horrific, secret, grandly conspiratorial system that is designed to cause harm to sentient beings for little more than momentary gustatory satisfaction or to test often completely arbitrary chemical products. It will drive a person insane. While I was never “militant”, I was certainly obsessed for a long time, and while I am still a vegan and will still throw my voice into conversations where it’s appropriate, I’m not out waving signs.

I personally don’t think it accomplishes much is all. But I also don’t fault her for it. My way of addressing this is living by example, proving the healthiness and ease of vegan living to eradicate false concerns about its unhealthiness or expensiveness. And when I have conversations about the issues central to what’s upsetting her, I do it in a way that tries to be patient and loving and nonjudgmental, and I never, ever get into “arguments” about it, because I find that to be more damaging to changing minds than living your truth with conviction and sincerity.

Here’s my hot take: she may be obnoxious about it, but when you get down to brass tacks, she’s also probably right. If this means this much to her and you see these things as preferences (i.e. “I prefer dark khakis to light khakis” or “I prefer bbq chips to salt and vinegar” are preferences, but nobody would ever write off “I prefer sex with children to sex with adults” as different preferences—when something is as viscerally wrong to her as this is, different preferences don’t account for that divide anymore, if that makes sense), then the two of you are seeing this from completely different philosophical and ethical perspectives.

The answer here is to have an adult conversation about your values and goals in regards to the relationship and your own spirituality/ethical framework and how you relate to your world, where you’re willing to change or not change, and then make a tough decision about whether you’re still compatible in light of this recent development.

I’m not saying break up tomorrow. But like it or not, this is serious stuff, and some insults to nature are serious enough that two people just won’t mesh if that fundamental ethical compatibility isn’t there.

Of course, there are tons of exceptions to this, but it requires a level of maturity and mutual respect and a lot of effort to respect the other person. If that isn’t there, I’m not saying it’s your fault or her fault. It just is what it is. One of those things that happens. But you need to understand that what we eat and what we consume otherwise has taken on a level of life or death seriousness to her that goes far beyond a preference, and I sense an imbalance in how much either of you actually cares about this kind of thing.

Whatreyougonnado.

Famassu

At this point I just couldn't be with someone who isn't a vegan. I'm not even all that militant about it, but the thought of living with someone who'd eat meat in front of me sounds impossible. I could maybe tolerate someone eating meat & shit if it was just during some nights out with work buddies, though even then I'd encourage at least checking out the vegan dishes and seeing if there's something that sounds good.

If your gf is the same then unfortunately I don't see a future for you two unless you are willing to change. I'm not sure if the change needs to happen overnight, but I'd imagine at least a promise of "okay, I'll make a noticeable effort to take steps towards veganism in the coming months with a real possibility that I'll be fully so as soon as possible/I feel comfortable with". To her it's not a preference, it's probably as clear and black & white as supporting gay rights & fighting racism. There isn't another justifiably arguable side to it in her eyes. Eating meat supports a cruel practice involving the killing hundreds of millions of innocent beings, many of them capable of some level of deeper thinking & emotions, and is one of the most destructive forces of this planet. It's not even remotely mandatory unless you're hyper allergic and meat is the only decent source of protein you tolerate or something. If you acknowledge that unarguably true angle, then there's no ifs and buts.

But really, what exactly are you missing out on with veganism nowadays? Some sealife is probably the only thing still impossible to replicate with vegan ways, but there are better & better vegan alternatives for everything else and there are few dishes that can't be veganized to a delicious result and a lot of products ever so harder to distinguish from the real deals. So you've got to make a choice. Which do you appreciate having in your life more, your GF or the ability to eat something that is perfectly replacable in every sense & from every angle that isn't causing the destruction of a habitable Earth.

derFeef

First of all, don't make a thread about this issue on GAF beause you will get "bacon is more important than woman anyway" posts, feel home right there.

I started dating my current girlfriend about four years ago. She was a vegeterian and myself a full meat eater. Our first date was at a vegeterian/vegan place and it was truly fantastic stuff. After that day I started to inform myself about the whole food industry, how animals are treated and everything surrounding it. I started eating less and less meat and I started to not miss it at all. As we came together my girlfriend went full on vegan (was already vegeterian for 20 years) and I was still vegeterian. After some weeks I left out more and more animal prodcuts, becoming a vegan myself in two months since we first met.

I now could not go back eating animal products and I am thankful for my girlfriend leading me into this. Now she never was condescending or militant, she always said it's my decision if I want to eat animal products, but I should not do it in her house or in her vicinity. I never wanted to to begin with, but maybe that's a thought for your GF. Give you some time, let you think about it, maybe you can wam up to eat less meat, then someday, quit eating meat just like me. It's not hard and you do not miss anything, as Famassu said there is so much great stuff out there. And in the end it's better for you, your relationship, the environmet and most importantly for the animals.

yonder

I totally understand where you're coming from, and I think her behaviour is a bit unreasonable as she's only been a vegan herself for 6 months or so. Remind her that this is a very recent, although fundamental, change for her, that she spent all of her life up till that point not being vegan. So if she expects you to make the same change, point out to her that it is not something that happens overnight for most people. If you can and want to, assure her that you will try to move in the direction of eating less animal products but at your own pace; also remind her that love and support will help you move in that direction, not pleading and criticism. Her treating you with disrespect will only put you off the idea of trying vegan stuff.

That being said, I also see where she's coming from. When you first go vegan, it is a harsh wake-up. It can be very difficult seeing your loved ones contributing to needless suffering, and I understand wanting to preach to people. The thing is, that approach does not work as well as leading by example and providing information when asked.

I've been vegan for 2.5 years now and my gf still eats meat, dairy and eggs, but she's moving steadily away from them and has come a long way in our time together. Sometimes it's impossibly frustrating, but I love her. I can see how for some people, dating a non-vegan is impossible, though. But if you guys have a solid loving relationship, I would caution against breaking up for something like this. Give it time and talk about it. Also, don't start a thread about it.

Minamu

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to think about. I won't make a thread, that much is clear :)

Funny how someone called Bacon urged me not to xD

I mean...that's kind of the point of veganism, especially if you're doing it for the animals. It's not really something you compartmentalize, you know?

Obviously, it's possible for vegans to date non-vegans -- see Yonder's post. When I met my now-wife, she'd been vegetarian for 5 years, and I was still eating meat, and the first few months of our relationship, I just tried to avoid eating meat in her presence.

Of course, now that I've been vegan for more than 11 years, I can't imagine living with someone who ate meat or used animal products. Like others have said, if you're morally and ethically opposed to it, it'd be difficult to not think a little less of someone you really loved believing differently.

.J.

Banned
Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to think about. I won't make a thread, that much is clear :)

Best of luck to you guys. Sincerely.

While we have your attention, I’d like to try to persuade you to do more to see her side of things. II maybe change something about yourself for the better. It’s certainlu possible, at any age, at any level of cooking skill, and for any income level.

Get at us if you want advice or need info, and if you get a chance to scope out the small but wonderful book Eating Animals by JS Foer, I think it’s a fair, objective and nonpreachy book on the subject that may help you see where she’s coming from a little better.

Again, good luck!

Bacon

Sooo my last name is bacon so whenever anyone learns that I'm a vegetarian I have to go through this whole song and dance about my last name and how ironic it is!

.J.

Banned
Sooo my last name is bacon so whenever anyone learns that I'm a vegetarian I have to go through this whole song and dance about my last name and how ironic it is!

Making you being vegetarian literally the only case where “Bacon is good”.

Good on ya.

amaretto

Sooo I'm two weeks into being a vegetarian and honestly I do enjoy it... I just need more recipes lol. I've gone through a lot of trial and error (expensive as it is, thank goodness Whole Foods lets you return basically anything) but I'm not really closed off to anything.

Any particular dishes that are really popular? If it helps I'm really into Asian cuisine and I have no allergies to anything.

yonder

Sooo I'm two weeks into being a vegetarian and honestly I do enjoy it... I just need more recipes lol. I've gone through a lot of trial and error (expensive as it is, thank goodness Whole Foods lets you return basically anything) but I'm not really closed off to anything.

Any particular dishes that are really popular? If it helps I'm really into Asian cuisine and I have no allergies to anything.
Welcome! Here's one of my favourites: http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2015/02/18/vegan-peanut-cold-sesame-noodles/

And every vegan/vegetarian needs a good lentil soup recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...up-parsley-garlic-lemon-gremolata-recipe.html

Bacon

Stir fry over rice is always a good go to. You can use any sauce or veggies you want and you can always add in tofu as well. I've been partial to a nice thai peanut sauce lately which I'm sure you can find a million recipes for online.

Making you being vegetarian literally the only case where ”Bacon is good".

Good on ya.

Ha! thanks bud.

Pinkuss

I'd probably recommend some tofu puffs/fried tofu (sold as Chinese supermarkets) and buying a few noodle/Thai kits. I'm guessing you're US based but we have a brand called Blue Dragon which do all the Thai Curries + Pad Thai kits with all the herbs and sauces; you just have to add tofu (or some faux chicken if you like) and veg (Scallions, carrot, beansprouts).

My recommendation though is Mezze/Middle Eastern food. Started buying falafel/Vegan meatballs and combining with beans, Lebanese style Moussaka (Chickpeas & Aubergine in a spicy tomato sauce - I add spinach too), salad, pickles, stuffed things (Makdous; the baby stuffed/cured aubergine are life) and dips.

Might be worth joining one of the many Vegan/Veggie food groups if you're interesting. People generally post new finds/recipes and the odd bargain.

Pinkuss

Love the stuff when it's cooked properly. This pre fried stuff from Chinese supermarkets is already prepared so just needs sauce/frying up with stuff.

2305927828_f49e66f148.jpg

Bacon

Oh man I love tofu, it's kind of a pain in the ass to cook right though so I've kinda stopped cooking with it but I'll still order it whenever I go to a vietnamese restaurant, they always make it just right.

Famassu

If you have any favorite recipes from your meat eating days, they can just be veganized pretty easily. Just take out dairy & meat & any other possible animal products (eggs, gelatin) and try out different plant alternatives and see what fits your tastes.

Nowadays there are milks, creams, yoghurt, custard & such made from oat, soy, coconut, rice, almond, cashews & such, so you've got lots of alternatives to try out, assuming you don't live in the middle of nowhere. Just know that there are differences between & within brands, so even if one soy milk doesn't taste good, that doesn't mean a slightly differently manufactured soy milk (i.e. sweetened vs. unsweetened) or some other brand's soy milk wouldn't be to your tastes. Sometimes it just comes down to becoming used to new flavors & things. I didn't like plant based milks at the beginning but nowadays I can drink pretty much anything but almond milk (the one available near me tastes like dirt water... :S). I also wasn't a massive fan of beans before starting vegetarianism but nowadays I have no issues with them, even if there's a lot of them in some sauce.

As far as replacing meat, there's really very little that doesn't already have plant based alternatives that are really close if not nigh identical with actual meats. Not exact replicates but like, close enough that especially with some time you can get used to them and not miss their actual meat counterparts. Some of them you can pretty easily make yourself, some are the kind that can kind of be tricky without industry level machinery & access to special ingredients, so you'll have to buy them.

Anyhoo, as far as the best meat replacements, seitan is the most versatile & probably closest to meat that you can easily make at home, so look up some seitan recipes. It can basically turn into chicken, christmas ham, sausages, kebab & all kinds of meat alternatives depending on the way it is prepared. It might take a few tries to really understand what achieves the best results and before that there is the possibility of making some not-so-good-tasting/textured seitan, but know that at best seitan is reaaaaally good. There should be no bad aftertaste, it shouldn't be flavourless and it should be pretty close to a meat-like thing as far as mouthfeel/texture goes. Know that raw seitan is disgusting (kind of like eating a mix of an eraser & chewing gum), so if you make something that is like "how do people eat this shit" from a texture POV, it's probably still raw & should be cooked longer.

Tofu is another versatile one. It comes in firm and soft forms. The soft one can act as a kind of egg substitute with a lot of things or be used to add some protein & other good stuff into smoothies, even works in making milkshake/ice cream (frozen bananas + soft tofu + some flavor either from frozen berries & fruits or something like raw cacao powder = easy delicious home made milkshake/ice cream). The firm one can also act as a kind of chicken-like thing when prepared in the right way or you can crumble it into little pieces and put it in some salty pie among other fillings and it's almost like boiled/cooked eggwhite. You can even make some fairly convincing halloumi cheese-like thing out of tofu slices. Or you can put it through a processor, add some breadcrumbs & spices and make tofu-balls (with the right kind of ingredients, you can even make it taste like some fish-like thing). Just remember to always dry the firm tofu. Just put it in a towel or between a few pieces of paper and maybe a bit of weight on top of it, wait for 5-10 minutes, maybe switch papers once or twice if you are using it, and then do whatever you are going to do with it. A good marinade/hefty spicing is key to tofu tasting good. Tofu quality varies so don't be discouraged if your first tofu attempts leave a bad taste in your mouth. Maybe try a different brand or you might want to try pre-marinaded tofu at first, unflavoured tofu can have an aftertaste that sticks unless you prepare it right & marinade it for a while.

There are vast array of soy-products. Soy granules, soy-pieces, soy sausages, soy steaks. Not really possible to do at home, I don't think, but stuff like soy granules aren't too expensive and work well in replacing minced meat in anything you'd use. Can have a bit of a strong-isg taste to it but with strong enough spicing & "day-after"ing it, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If you want something less meat-y but delicious & filled with protein & other healthy shit, falafel is a god tier veggie-patty. Made of chickpeas. Really easy to do. Put chickpeas & onion & garlic into a processor (don't turn it into a paste, leave it a bit grainy), add some herbs like coriander, some salt, chili, curry & garam masala and a combination of bread crumbs & whole grain wheat flour (enough that you can take pieces of the mass and form them into patties so that it doesn't seem like they'd crumble too easily), might have to add a little bit of some liquid (water is fine but plant creams works too) to make the crumbs & flour do their thing. Beans work well in patties too.

Some crazier vegan things are stuff like using carrots to make a thing that is surprisingly close to cold smoked salmon (not sure if that is a thing where you live, I think it might be a Northern European dish) and aquafaba, the cooking/storing liquid of peas & beans, which acts very much like an egg would when whipped. Aquafaba has completely changed the vegan pastry game, at least when it comes to certain sweet treats. Can even make meringue with it, which was previously thought to be impossible without egg white (and as such, not possible to make in a vegan way). But alas, it is, with aquafaba.

Bought a blender. Not really sure what for. The idea is to drink some veggies (and only a bit of fruit) throughout the day so I can get more in. And liquid doesn't satiate as much as solids, so I can hopefully get slightly more calories in that way.

yonder

Bought a blender. Not really sure what for. The idea is to drink some veggies (and only a bit of fruit) throughout the day so I can get more in. And liquid doesn't satiate as much as solids, so I can hopefully get slightly more calories in that way.
I mostly use my blender for making amazingly smooth hummus. The trick is to heat up the chickpeas in their brine and blend them while they're hot. Try this recipe: https://minimalistbaker.com/best-ever-5-minute-microwave-hummus/ It'll require some shaking of the blender and stopping every once in a while to scrape down the sides but it'll be worth it.

Make Cashew cream
or cashew cream cheese.

thank me later.

Famassu

I'm actually thinking of not eating cashews.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...the-toxic-truth-about-your-favourite-nut.html

I don't particularly love them anyway.

The hummus idea is great though. Is there anything you can't do in a blender that you can do in a food processor?
You can use other nuts for those recipes as well and I've seen mention of (sunflower) seeds being used for vegan cheeses as well.

Or make red pesto. Some sun-dried tomatoes, a hefty dosage of nutritional yeast, oil, garlic, onion, salt, basil and nuts or seeds of your choosing. Blend away and enjoy in anything.

You can also make milkshakes/ice cream with a blender. Just freeze some bananas for a few hours/overnight (& other fruit or berries for flavor), get some plant based whipped cream (soy is the most nutritionally complete, as far as protein goes) and then blend the bananas (maybe take them out of the freezer 20-30 minutes before blending) & cream and once those are done, add anything you want to add flavor with; frozen strawberries, blueberries, raw cocoa powder or such. You can also blend lentils, mint leaves, nuts & other stuff into it at this point, if you want to make it even healthier or better tasting (chocolate mint nut ice cream is god-fucking-tier). This produces something that is usually somewhere between a drinkable milkshake and ice cream (might have to eat it with a spoon, can make it more of a milkshake by adding more cream). If you want to make firmer ice cream out of it, then just put it in some container and in the freezer (mixing it some every 20-40 minutes for as long as it's mixable).

EDIT: re:cashews, seems like just buying fair trade ones might be the way to go. Skip the cheapest alternatives & go for the ones that at least try to make certain workers are being treated better.

Top Bottom