• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT8| Who wants to talk about Murders?

What shall El Topo's avatar be?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetroMG

yF88yfs.png

Hello, denizens of GAF! This is the Official Thread of NeoGAF Mafia! It's a fun game which you can actually play in forums post-by-post, so we're welcoming people to sign up to our eighth season! Each ”season," we start a new batch of games, with a new batch of game-runners, and each game having a different set of roles and flavor. Currently, we're taking sign-ups for Season 8 - and we want you to take part! It's a fun game and a great way to meet new friends on GAF. We're extra friendly to new players.

• We are now taking sign-ups!
  • New players will always get priority!
  • If you're not sure what mafia is, read on!

u8XjJNm.png

Don't feel like reading? Watch this.

--------------------------------
| Part 1 - the Basics |
--------------------------------

First and foremost: Mafia is really, really easy to learn. You can learn the rules by the game's first "turn" and be a pro by the end of your first game. New players are welcomed, and I hope you join myself and other GAF players after reading this. The vast majority of our players had their first mafia games here, too!

Mafia is a game of deduction and deception. Invented in 1986 as Ма́фия in the U.S.S.R. by Dmitry Davidoff, mafia is a party-game with a rather morbid turn. In mafia's most basic form, players are assigned by the game-runner to one of two alignments: the majority to the Town, and the minority to the Mafia (known as the Werewolves in some versions). If a player is assigned to the Town, they know only their own alignment. If a player is assigned to the Mafia, they know the alignments of the other players assigned to the Mafia too. The alignment of everyone else remains a mystery.

The game alternates between a Day Phase and a Night Phase. During the Day Phase, all living players discuss and vote on who will be lynched. When the majority vote for a player, that player is lynched and are dead and out of the game. The game then enters the Night Phase, where the Mafia discuss and choose a kill, informing the game-runner when they've done so. The game-runner then starts the next Day Phase and announces which player was killed.

Town wins by lynching all the Mafia. Mafia win when they are equal to or outnumber Town.

---------------------------------
| Part 2 - Additions |
---------------------------------

If you got through the above, you're ready to play mafia. Congratulations! However, mafia is an infinitely flexible game. The rule-set described above is the 'core' of mafia, the simplest it can be, and is called 'Basic' or 'Mountainous' mafia. However, most mafia is played with the introduction of new roles, alignments, and mechanics.

For example, most games have Town Power Roles, which have abilities aside from just voting. The most common Town Power Role is the Cop. This player counts as a Town Villager (the ordinary role) in almost every respect - they start the game not knowing the mafia, and win when there are no mafia left - but have an extra ability: each Night Phase, they can select one person to Investigate. The game-runner then tells them if the player they Investigated is Innocent (Town) or Guilty (Mafia). This is a powerful but intuitive role found in many games.

That's not all! There are protective roles, like the Doctor, who can select one player each Night Phase to be immune from kills for that night; third-party roles, like the Lyncher, who wins if they can lynch a specific target; mafia power roles, like the Godfather, who appears as Innocent when Investigated; and so on. The core rules themselves can even vary, with Nightless setups (a Day Phase is followed by another Day Phase) popular in the mafia community.

This is means you play to your tastes - a game can be batshit crazy with many bizarre roles, or it can be the simple Mountainous.

Here is an excellent primer to both playing mafia and the most common roles: http://cataldo.freeshell.org/mafia/mafiascum04.swf. Well worth reading!

----------------------------
| Part 3 - Flavor |
----------------------------

Mafia isn't just restricted to the basic setup! The game's theme is infinitely customizable. You may have wondered about the mention of Werewolves earlier - this is because the second most common version of the game simply calls the Mafia "the Werewolves". This theme extends to all the other roles - the Cop becomes the "Seer", and the Doctor the "Priestess".

This flavoring is also important to another part of mafia: the death scenes. When a player is killed during the Night Phase, the game-runner informs the other how they died, in full and gory detail. After all, how could we sleep at night without knowing that the player Sorian, with the Town-aligned role of Annoying Beanie-man, died at the hands of a sabotaged toaster that rendered his wounds unhealable even to the famed Elixer of Perrier? Don't be afraid to experiment!

Live mafia games are also occasionally hosted on our Discord server. See below for more information on how to join Gafia Discord.

krVlJwE.png

I am RetroMG, and along with a team of moderators and gamerunners, we'll be overseeing this season of NeoGAF mafia. Please feel free to reach out to me, or any of our other moderators, (cabot, Kawl, or Ourobolus) with any questions. (Or just post in here. The community is very friendly.)
Signing up is simple. There's a (really short) sign-up form below; just post your sign-up in the thread and you'll be in! We have priority weighting based on how much you've played before, so if you're new, you're guaranteed a game. Don't worry if you miss sign-ups - you'll be added to the waiting list, which gives you priority next season. Some players also find they can't keep up and have to drop out, which means replacements are drawn from the waiting list, so you may still get to play this season!
Please be aware that NeoGAF Mafia is a significant time commitment. Ordinary games last about two months, although some special cases will be different (if so, this information will be in the games list). You will need to post at least once or twice a day for that time, although we understand if you have to miss a day every now and then. Please don't sign-up unless you can do this.

Prior to signing up, we also ask that you read these player behavior guidelines.

Pronoun:
Preferred game(s):
(Please list multiple games, in order of preference.)
Time-zone:

While we will do our best to ensure that you get your preferred game, we cannot guarantee it. Thank you for your understanding.

GAF Mafia has a gender pronoun policy. Because players have to refer to each other throughout the game and we don't want to misgender anyone, we'd like to know your preferred personal pronoun - be it he, she, they, ze or any other. Other players will refer to you by that pronoun, and this will be carefully enforced. We'd also like you to respect the other players by being careful to use their chosen personal pronoun too. You are free not to disclose your preferred pronoun, in which case other players will refer to you as they.

Most GAF games follow the same ruleset, and vary only in the number of players (approximately 18-27), the range of roles, and the flavor used. However, we know lots of you guys will want to play particular games for the flavor. Because of that, we're allowing you to vote on which game you want to be in! There's a list of 4 available games, all carefully reviewed to make sure they're balanced and fun, and I'd guess we'll have enough players for at least 2, so if you list a preferred option and a backup option, we should be able to get you into at least one. We cannot guarantee this, however - but we'll do our best. If not, you'll still end up in a fun game, I promise!

Your time-zone doesn't matter that much, it's just so people know roughly when you're likely to post.

Ourobolus

Banned
Season 8's games and their game-runners are listed below. Also, the GAF Mafia community is unique in having a system for training new game-runners! Anyone who has completed at least one GAF Mafia game can apply to become a game-runner, where their game will be overseen by a set of experienced moderators who can teach people how to create and balance games. Our moderators are also listed below. If at any point you need help or have a question to ask about a game, please contact any game-runner or moderator (but you'll probably get the fastest response if you contact the person who is the game-runner for the game you are in).

-----------------------------------------------
| Types of Games
-----------------------------------------------

Gafia runs the following types of games:
Main Season: These are usually larger games, with a well-defined and balanced rule set. These games begin every few months, and we usually run 2-3 of them at a time. Main season games MUST be approved by at least two former Gafia moderators in order to be run. Certain roles, such as Tanners and Mediums, are not permitted in main season games.
Mid-season: Once one or more of the main season games have ended, we begin hosting smaller mid-season games. These games are not required to be approved by moderators, and there are no limits as to what roles or mechanics can or cannot be included.
Mini games: These are special games that are designed to move quickly, usually taking a week at most to play. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a good example of a Mini game.
Cosplay games: This is not a specific game type, but it is an important term. A Cosplay game is a game where player’s roles are specific roles from the source of inspiration. If we use Metal Gear Solid as an example, a role in a cosplay game would be “Big Boss,” where a role in a non-cosplay game would be “Legendary Solider.”

-------------------
| Difficulty |
-------------------

Games will not be rated for difficulty this year, however, a basic (spoiler-free) writeup of what kind of game to expect will be included with each game.

-------------------
| Season 8 |
-------------------

tumblr_mhk9k9ZWzZ1qgmnq8o1_500.gif

“Retro-senpai!”
851981ee641f851f66cc89902f8113b1.jpg

“What is it, Burbeting-san?”
d26ad0b439510f45654824185dd6b1f3.gif

“This is horrible! The balance of Gafia Anime Land has been disrespected!”
HPi9b.png

“What do you mean?”

“It’s those awful Gajin-superhero comics! They have infiltrated our peaceful Anime land, and are plotting on destroying us all!”

“Well, Burbeting-san… we just have to fight with all of our might! And prove that our Kawaii-anime is more powerful than some stupid Superhero comics!”

“Yeah!”

So began the greatest battle ever known… at least until the next story arc!
vote.png

Anime Mafia
Players: 23
Gamerunner: Burbeting
This is a cosplay game with roles taken from popular anime and comic book properties. This game is fairly basic, but also includes a few interesting twists on the formula. It should be fine for all players.
Tired of always rolling Ordinary Town? Do you get bored every night as you don't get a single role? Do you get jealous when someone else dies and he got a good role and you are stuck only with the ability to vote?

Arkham Asylum Mafia is the game for you then. This is a Role Madness game so everyone gets a role. No more waiting for things to happen. Now you will have that power. Every role has been analyzed by the best researchers in the Gafia world to make sure everything works as is intended. But don't take our word as certain. Studies made by scientists at a University in Latvia has found evidence that having a role in a mafia game improves the enjoyment of the game. As a bonus, if you decide to participate in the game you are guaranteed to have a good time and lots of fun*. Subscribe now, we only have a small amounts of spots left available. Don't miss this lifetime opportunity.

* A good time and lots of fun are abstract concepts that depends of the subject, so they can't be guaranteed.

tnvnrGT.jpg

Arkham Asylum Mafia
Players: 24
Gamerunner: Franconp
This is a cosplay game with roles taken from the Batman universe. Please be advised that this is a Role Madness game, which means that the majority of players will have some sort of special ability. All players may sign up for this game, but it is recommended for experienced players.

(Flavor Coming Soon)
JSiPE2l.jpg

Players: 23
Gamerunner: MelonRabbit
This is a cosplay game with roles taken inFamous video games. This game is fairly traditional, but does include some new twists. It is well-suited for new players and experienced players alike.

------------------------------
| With help from... |
------------------------------

Thanks to our tutors for this season: Android Sophia, El Topo, CrimsonFist, Ourobolus, Sawneeks, YesNOnoNOYes, and RetroMG.

Sophia

5MIvXG4.png

----------------------
| Outer GAFia |
----------------------

Outer GAFia - managed by RetroMG.
"GAF is still our home. Outer GAFia is more like the pretty cool summer house you and your friends go to during the summer break to do things your parents aren't OK with." - roytheone.

All seasonal NeoGAF mafia games will run on the main NeoGAF forum, but we have a secondary forum where we host our spectators threads, dead threads, hidden chats (mafia and otherwise), and the mini-games - basically for anything that could be spoilerific. We will require that you sign up to Outer GAFia for these purposes :)

----------------------
| Gafia Discord |
----------------------

Gafia Discord – Created by Fireblend, managed by the Gafia Mod Collective
Where everybody knows your name, but nobody knows your role.
Discord is a chat room where you can interact with your favorite mafia friends (and also Sorian). We have discussion rooms for games, movies, music, and even Trivia! Live mafia games have also been played on Discord in the past, and more will be played in the future!

--------------------------
| Other Communities |
---------------------------

We're now on PSN and Steam! Please look us up on:
Steam: GAFMafia - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GAFMafia - managed by roytheone.
PSN: Gafia – managed by RetroMG

| Game Resources |

NPhWv9m.png

----------------------------------------------------
| Previous Games and Threads |

A really good way to get to grips with forum mafia before playing is to look through past GAF Mafia games and watch some of our current players in their first games! You also get to laugh at our expense.
Here is a directory of GAF's completed games, and previous threads. (Season 7 will be uploaded in the next few days.)

| Comments / Questions / Other |

We always welcome your opinions and feedback. If there's any questions or anything we can clear up for you, let us know and someone will attend to you in good time : )

My dearest contestants, Welcome to GAFia Season 8!

RetroMG

Additional Announcement

Yesterday, I recieved the following message:

Hi Retro

Hope you're doing well :)

I was very stoked to have NeoGAF be part of the tournament last year, so I was hoping you might once again be willing to present the Mafia Championship invitation (for season 4) to your community on my behalf? I'll of course pop into the thread and answer any questions and such.

The invitation: docs.google.com/document/d/1E9x7nJkSPmv1ZtSKFdSmLsvD4DQoX13i2MA9VG5p4W4/edit

NEOGAF MAFIA HAS ONCE AGAIN BEEN ASKED TO SEND A PLAYER TO THE MAFIA UNIVERSE INVITATIONAL MAFIA TOURNAMENT.

If you would like to nominate yourself for entry, please PM me within the next 72 hours.

red_1492110000.png

You may not nominate another person. This is a big commitment, so only those who are serious about it should apply.

After the nominations have been held, a vote will go up on Outer Gafia to determine who the actual player will be.

Question from the peanut gallery:

What is the MAFIA UNIVERSE INVITATIONAL MAFIA TOURNAMENT?

Answer:

Mafia Universe, (a very big site for online mafia games,) holds a yearly tournament with representatives from several communities such as ours. Last year, Sorian was our tribute, and he came away with 4th place in the entire tournament. This year, Sorian is one of the judges, and we have been invited to send a new player to bring home glory to Gafia.

This player will obviously not be able to take part in season 8 games, but they will be guaranteed a spot in the game of their choosing once they are done with the tournament.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab

sign me up for animafia

RetroMG

craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab

To address the shellfish in the room: Jojo is incredibly experimental both in it's design and it's roles, and we decided it was not ready for the main season. I'll be talking to Crab to try and get it moved into mid-season, or, if he would prefer, to find a way to make it work for main season 9.

Haly

To address the shellfish in the room: Jojo is incredibly experimental both in it's design and it's roles, and we decided it was not ready for the main season. I'll be talking to Crab to try and get it moved into mid-season, or, if he would prefer, to find a way to make it work for main season 9.

#fakenews

Bronx-Man

Banned
Not playing or modding. So nyah.
Dude......we had a dynamic. I was the young hotshot devil-may-care rookie that just joined the force while you were the grizzled vet that knew how to always get the results, just closing in on retirement.

Who can I replicate this formula with, Ouro?

WHO?!

Ourobolus

Banned
Dude......we had a dynamic. I was the young hotshot devil-may-care rookie that just joined the force while you were the grizzled vet that knew how to always get the results, just closing in on retirement.

Who can I replicate this formula with, Ouro?

WHO?!

You got me there. Good luck!

Haly

Pronoun:He
Preferred game(s): Anime Gafia
Time-zone: EST

Subscribed!

Pronoun: He
Anime-Gafia is cool with me. Main season would be preferred since I'm new

Timezone: Mountain Daylight Time MDT

Nono(yes)nono!! D:

Looking forward to this!

i spy a yes somewhere in there >:D

yes! mafia is fun! full with opportunities to backstab and murder your fellow gaffers :D where else but here can you get away with that villainy! :D

if you have any questions, let us know, cookie! there's also guides on how to play and stuff (somewhere) and if you want a pointer of old games that are worthwhile reading, we can give you some links :>

yes! mafia is fun! full with opportunities to backstab and murder your fellow gaffers :D where else but here can you get away with that villainy! :D

if you have any questions, let us know, cookie! there's also guides on how to play and stuff (somewhere) and if you want a pointer of old games that are worthwhile reading, we can give you some links :>

Thanks! I read the OP, but I think I'll learn most when we go through the game

Verelios

Oh, forgot to add my preferred game which is any. Though I'm wondering why there's no Gundam Mafia. That should be a thing. Is it a thing?

Preferred game(s): Infamous Mafia(first choice) or Anime Mafia.
Time-zone: CET

Hope i don't get lynched on the first night because of Persona mafia.

Natiko

Banned
Preferred game(s): Infamous Mafia(first choice) or Anime Mafia.
Time-zone: CET

Hope i don't get lynched on the first night because of Persona mafia.
You'll be fiiiine. No way you'll be lynched!*

*You could totally be lynched, but it won't be due to Persona for what it's worth!

Dr. Worm

Banned
Pronoun: he
Preferred game(s): Arkham Asylum, then Anime
Time-zone: EST

Hello again! I'm probably already dead after Vampire.

What the hell. I have always wanted to get in on this, so...

Pronoun: She
Preferred game(s): Animafia
Time-zone: Eastern (U.S.)

Top Bottom