• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Edits Wind Waker so 3-Year Old Daughter Doesn't Feel 2nd Class

eastmen

Banned
Snow White = Princess
Pinocchio = boy
Dumbo = boy
Bambi = boy
Three Caballeros = boys
Ichabod & Mr. Toad = boys
Cinderella = princess
Alice in Wonderland = girl
Peter Pan = boy
Lady & the Tramp = boy/girl
Sleeping Beauty = Princess
101 Dalmatians = mostly boys
Sword in the Stone = boys
Jungle Book = Boys
Aristocats = Boy
Robin Hood = Boy
Winnie the Pooh = Boy
The Rescuers = Boy/Girl
Fox & the Hound = Boy
Black Cauldron = Boy
Great Mouse Detective = Boy
Oliver & Company = Boy
Little Mermaid = Princess
Beauty & the Beast = Princess
Aladdin = Boy
The Lion King = Boy

Even though Disney is known primarily for Disney Princesses now, historically (not even taking into account their mascot is a male, as is Donald, and Goofy) Disney's heroes have been male, and even the films in which the hero is a female or a princess, the goal is to make sure the dudes in their lives are made happy.

So that's probably why you weren't alienated.

Its funny cause a lot of those lesser known are my favs. I think the major problem is simply they don't exist in the parks

Take sword in the stone . There are no rides , no buildings that have to do with it in Disney world. In the magic kingdom there is simply the stone with the sword in it. Look at lady and the tramp. There is just a restaurant and the heart with paw prints. Aladdin and dumb rides are exactly the same . There is no lion king ride , Fox and the hound ? Nothing and so on and so forth .

Magic kingdom (the most popular based on attendance ) just completed a major expansion that is opening in weeks and its all princess stuff making the parks even more gender slanted .

I'm hoping with the lucas film and the marvel buy outs they will be able to bring up the other parks into a better split of girls / boys. My nephew is 4 and already hates going to magic kingdom because of the lack of rides that intrest him.

EulaCapra

This reached 10 pages fast... I'm assuming about half these posts are negative.

Good for the dad! There's a dearth of female protagonists compared to the amount of male ones in games and pop culture in general.

The Hermit

"I'm not having my girl grow up thinking girls don't get to be the hero."

Young kids are impressionable and it gives her something to look up to.

I'd think it's awesome if I learned my dad did this.

Yeah, amazing dad indeed.

I fucking hate all those "duhhh its pointless"... fucking Gaf.

ohlawd

That's cool of the dad to do.

Not even gonna read the rest of the thread if the 1st page was any indication.

^5 to the one that posted pics of girls cosplaying as Link :3

Polishing a turd.

I suspect you would similarly dismiss every example that could be presented without elaboration or argument, so I won't try further.

Nevertheless, the question isn't whether remixes are necessarily better than their sources, the question is whether remixes are valid forms of expression to begin with. Which they are, the arguments of Disney lawyers notwithstanding.

Link is a "boy" in clothing-only in the Wind Waker.

Kids at a young age are ambiguous when it comes to gender. It's just his male tunic and the male pronouns in the text that suggests he's a boy.

I find it empowering that the dad would teach his daughter to transcend male-oriented clothing through video games.

The sooner that gender-specific social constructs disappear, the better.

Mm.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's great that the guy loves his daughter, but as many already pointed out, it really is pointless.

Biggest reason being, that if he keeps up the charade after she finally can read, how silly is she going to feel, because if I know Nintendo, Link is gonna be around for a hell of a long time, when she has an argument with someone about whether Link is a girl or not?

Just find a game, or any other thing where the hero is a girl and stop deceiving your own kid.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Just another damsel in distress being taught life lessons from a world weary boy.

You've never actually seen Disney's Peter Pan have you? That or you're so focused on becoming outraged whenever a male and female interact antagonistically that you missed the story. Peter Pan is about growing up vs. staying a child.

stupei

You've never actually seen Disney's Peter Pan have you? That or you're so focused on becoming outraged whenever a male and female interact antagonistically that you missed the story. Peter Pan is about growing up vs. staying a child.

I'm not really sure what about your statement disproves that Wendy is a damsel in distress for most of the film. Peter Pan can largely be about male adolescence (hint: it is) and still have a very simplistic and one note depiction of its female characters. A lot of the time, Wendy needs rescuing. And when she doesn't, her main function is to serve as mother for the lost boys.

In what way exactly is she not reduced to a gender based construct?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
(Edit: Firehawk, ever play the NES baseball classic Baseball Stars? You could sign and develop female players. It was great.)
Oh really? That's interesting. Of course, since sports games all have to be licensed now, we probably won't see anything like that any time soon.

I'm only asking this rhetorically, because I can guess the answer, but why hasn't the WNBA been included in any of the NBA games? At least it's the one major sport that has a "legit" female professional league anyway.

Damn that lazy father for not making his own videogame lol.
I have no idea what is involved in Hex editing a game to change text. If it really is as simple as searching for the hex value for "He" and replacing that with "She", then whatever I suppose. It's still silly, but at least it wasn't a time consuming project.

It's great that the guy loves his daughter, but as many already pointed out, it really is pointless.

Biggest reason being, that if he keeps up the charade after she finally can read, how silly is she going to feel, because if I know Nintendo, Link is gonna be around for a hell of a long time, when she has an argument with someone about whether Link is a girl or not?

Just find a game, or any other thing where the hero is a girl and stop deceiving your own kid.

As people pointed out, there's few female heroes and even less age appropriate female heroes.

Also lying to children is an international past-time, I highly doubt any of us won't tell our children about Santa or anything considering how prominent they are, along with any other issues that happens in life.

Zips

Sweet zombie jesus at the arguments in this thread.

Why are people blowing this so out of proportion? It's just a father trying to do something for his daughter.

The underestimations of kids and what they can do or perceive are also crazy. At around age 4 I was using some DOS commands on computer since it was before stuff like Windows existed.

The "just switch the gender in speech while reading it" makes me cringe too. No need to confuse the girl by matching the wrong text to a spoken word at that age.

even the films in which the hero is a female or a princess, the goal is to make sure the dudes in their lives are made happy.

I seem to remember their being many Hollywood movies where the male character exists to work super hard to earn a woman's favor and make her happy.

I think there are many books and TV shows like that too, that exalt male service to the female, a service which is generally regarded as very noble and proper. Hmm, perhaps life is more complicated than making simple judgments to fit an existing narrative?

brian!

Link is a "boy" in clothing-only in the Wind Waker.

Kids at a young age are ambiguous when it comes to gender. It's just his male tunic and the male pronouns in the text that suggests he's a boy.

I find it empowering that the dad would teach his daughter to transcend male-oriented clothing through video games.

The sooner that gender-specific social constructs disappear, the better.

yeah the "why even bother" posts really fail to notice how foward and non-lazy this action is

People are right in that it might just make the daughter feel silly as she grow up to learn that Nintendo considers Link to be a boy.
Just make her play Metroid instead, perhaps?

brian!

People are right in that it might just make the daughter feel silly as she grow up to learn that Nintendo considers Link to be a boy.

or maybe she'll have the sense to know that it doesn't matter what nintendo thinks

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
As people pointed out, there's few female heroes and even less age appropriate female heroes.

Also lying to children is an international past-time, I highly doubt any of us won't tell our children about Santa or anything considering how prominent they are, along with any other issues that happens in life.

There have been plenty of strong women who grew up with the realities of the world told to them truthfully, and there will be plenty more born every day without being fed fake scenarios.

He doesn't need to do this, just be a good, supportive father, that's what she needs the most. Don't feed her lies, especially with such a popular entity.

Kazerei

Banned

Is this really such a concern? She'll always remember imagining herself as Link while playing through Wind Waker with her dad. She'll be fine when she finds out Link was written as a boy. I can't imagine why this would be a problem. Oh no, a fictional character isn't what I thought it was?

There have been plenty of strong women who grew up with the realities of the world told to them truthfully, and there will be plenty more born every day without being fed fake scenarios.

He doesn't need to do this, just be a good, supportive father, that's what she needs the most. Don't feed her lies, especially with such a popular entity.

It's a fictional story man ... he's lying about a fictional story. And she's 3-years-old, just let her imagine whatever.

topplehat

Well that would just be downright awful! How would she properly comment on gaming forums?!

brian!

I mean, in my opinion, you can't really suggest that "lying" about this game to his daughter undermines strong women who haven't had this lie, or that it will undermine his daughter when she finds out the "truth"

like, I'm sure she will have plenty opportunities to find out about patriarchy

but what's a part of what this dad is doing is that he is showing his daughter (assuming she likes the game, internalizes the game, talks about the game and discovers it's social context) that action can be taken to address such norms, like I don't really see how that isn't admirable

Sentenza

I can't even tell anymore who's joking who's not in this thread.

He didn't "fed her with LIES", he tweaked a game in an almost irrelevant way.
What she will remember one day isn't "My father betrayed my trust sweeping away all my values"; it's "my father was sweet enough to tweak a Zelda game to make me play Link as a girl".
Only delusional, rabid Nintendo fanboys could argue otherwise and be outraged by this.

And interestingly enough that's coming from someone who doesn't plan to tell any Santa Claus bullshit to his sons.

Ducarmel

So now the arguments are she will grow up with lies!

What else will make her feel silly while growing up!

Santa does not exist I guess the dad should just give it to her straight Santa does not exist stop enjoying a silly fantasy be an adult. What else should she know I'm an atheist should I tell her gods/angels does not exist it might be silly if she grows up believing that.

It does not matter, parents tell their kids silly things to make them feel better and be kids that enjoy life. I did not lose my mind as I started to learn more about the world and started to understand the white lies I was told. It shaped my life in a way so I can enjoy life as a kid and be prepared for life in the future.

Red

Yeah, amazing dad indeed.

I fucking hate all those "duhhh its pointless"... fucking Gaf.
Yup.

It was a good move. Don't mind those who don't understand. Let them roll around in their bubbles. There are some of us who get it.

I agree, people don't need fake scenarios. Like video games. Or any fantasy fiction at all, really.

How dare this guy try to whitewash the well-documented historical truth of the Legend of Zelda.

brian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q_SeAuvXZ9o#t=176s

As cool as it would be to play as Zelda, the "Thank you Maria, but our prince is in another castle" format just doesn't work well. They should try to pull a Resident Evil Zero or an Atelier Iris 2: Azoth of Destiny or a Tales of Xillia on the Zelda series.

I mean, the intentionality in building the Zelda experience (miyamoto framing the game in the context of him playing in the woods as a little boy or some shit) is a lot more universal and relatable than a specific work like gone with the wind

Hagi

Sweet jesus the reactions in this thread make my head hurt.

Good for him, i thinks it's a pretty sweet thing to do for his daughter. I'm sure she'll remember spending quality time with her dad.

I can't even tell anymore who's joking who's not in this thread.

He didn't "fed her with LIES", he tweaked a game in an almost irrelevant way.
What she will remember one day isn't "My father betrayed my trust sweeping away all my values"; it's "my father was sweet enough to tweak a Zelda game to make me play Link as a girl".
Only delusional, rabid Zelda fanboys could argue otherwise and be outraged by this.

And interestingly enough that's coming from someone who doesn't plan to tell any Santa Claus bullshit to his sons.

FTFY

UrbanRats

A cool, harmless thing (either way) that it's not gonna change anyone's life but could change her enjoyment of the game for the better.
Of course it had to be a huge deal, with the world at stake on here.

I don't think is inherently a bad idea and I agree that is harmless until certain extent (how she would respond to this gesture is pretty difficult to tell, we are humans after all)

But I also truly think that is kind of silly this edits, and litte condescending to the child, specially with a character so popular in gaming circles as Link (she just needs 3 years to learn the actual gender) .

Is a good intended gesture but dunno if necessary or that the girl will even consider cute when se grows up.

stupei

Crazy that a father wanting to spend time with his daughter and making the effort to create a more inclusive environment for her is so controversial.

thisisneogaf.gif I guess

edit: Why do people keep acting like the average kid today will have an in depth discussion at school about a gamecube Zelda game and be mocked by her peers in the process? How likely are you people imagining this scenario to be?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

The problem here is that there are very few entertainment products out there that even have any kind of female presence, let alone females in central roles. This dad is just trying to fix the issue in some kind of way.

Silvawuff

Okami would have been a better choice. Main protagonist is female, it's like Zelda, and it's multicultural too! Win/win/win!

That said, I think this father is a really cool, dedicated parent to do this for his daughter.

edit: Why do people keep acting like the average kid today will have an in depth discussion at school about a gamecube Zelda game and be mocked by her peers in the process? How likely are you people imagining this scenario to be?

Well, when I was a kid I discussed a lot of dumb shit with peers (and not necessarily about new stuff). I remember a discussion about a Cassette console machine that played video games of Mexican groups.

Also, she could learn about it some years later when reading the manuals or with a simple internet search

vidcons

Banned
Well, when I was a kid I discussed a lot of dumb shit with peers (and not necessarily about new stuff). I remember a discussion about a Cassette console machine that played video games of Mexican groups.

Also, she could learn about it some years later when reading the manuals or with a simple internet search

Hopefully she finds this thread and runs away from the home of the savage that modified a Zelda game.

Top Bottom