• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Gears of War has Motion blur (pre object).

Some direct feed pics:

I know, but it's really hard to see (like, you can mostly see it when a player runs past you in the corner of your screen), I've played the game a lot. Gears 3 has good colour post processing, really evolved/different from what we got in Gears 1 and 2, and something that seems to be the evolution of UE in general, from what I see in UDK.

That said, the prebaked lighting (with Lightmass) is what made the game feel that much different from Gears 2. Just look at what better prebaked lighting did for Mirror's Edge :p

I want dynamic lighting next gen for every game that could use it, and make time pass ingame please, it makes everything so much more inmersive. Just imagine Dark Souls with days, nights, and weather. ;_;

NBtoaster

Gears of War has Motion blur (pre object).

Some direct feed pics:

That doesn't look direct feed. The game is much more jaggy.

Effects2.bmp.jpg

rdrr gnr

Gemüsepizza;46623339 said:
So you want to sacrifice graphic fidelity for features?
No. But they need to be smart about it. I wanting that fucking launch OS to be as small and as efficient as possible.

I don't know. He got WII U's specs right I thought, so he has a source.

Yes, maybe he has a source, what I mean is he (or him source) don't know much about the "secret sauce", you need to read the quoted before post:

I'm assuming bgassassin's looking at paper specs that have significant architectural similarities, hence on paper Orbis should beat Durango. Let's say his sources have told him both are 8 core Jaguars at 2 GHz, 8800 type GPUs, one at 1.2 TFlops and one at 1.8 TFlop (apple to apple comparison), one with 100 GB/s BW and one with 200 GB/s BW. That would point to the second machine being the more powerful, and so comments that there's not much between the machines would be hard to reconcile. At which point, you'd want an explanation, and bg's asking if it could be dev tools. I don't think he'd ask his question if there wasn't good reason to see the hardwares as comparable. If the answer to his question is 'no', then he knows either the development comments are wrong, or the hardware specs he's seeing are wrong, or there's more to the machines than the specs are saying.

And then he said:

This would be a very good explanation. When I got the vague specs on Xbox 3 last year it was hard to see where the "beast" comment was justified and how the two were as comparable as I was hearing so I wanted to give it more time. And now getting more details, I'm still not seeing it. And for the most part, the hardware does seem very close to being "apples to apples" as opposed to the current gen.

That doesn't look direct feed. The game is much more jaggy.

Effects2.bmp.jpg

A lot of jpg artifacts...

This is a bette rsample:

2011041620190620on7l.jpg

20110416001003410u7b.jpg

Jaggies? yes, but not artifacts.

Vol5

I'm really hoping Planetside 2 comes to Orbis. A fucking stellar game that as a release title could do wonders for Sony....and it looks great.

Reiko

Banned
I know, but it's really hard to see (like, you can mostly see it when a player runs past you in the corner of your screen), I've played the game a lot. Gears 3 has good colour post processing, really evolved/different from what we got in Gears 1 and 2, and something that seems to be the evolution of UE in general, from what I see in UDK.

That said, the prebaked lighting (with Lightmass) is what made the game feel that much different from Gears 2. Just look at what better prebaked lighting did for Mirror's Edge :p

I want dynamic lighting next gen for every game that could use it, and make time pass ingame please, it makes everything so much more inmersive. Just imagine Dark Souls with days, nights, and weather. ;_;

The motion blur in Gears 3 is camera and per object of body part, depending on the motion. Like if someone is being punched, you will see intelligent motion blur on the arm and not the entire body.

Mascot

What are the chances of MS or Sony releasing cheaper versions of their next gen consoles that just play games?
I really do not want to waste money on a bunch of bells that I'll never ring.

What are the chances of MS or Sony releasing cheaper versions of their next gen consoles that just play games?

I guess a lot:

Microsoft is building an Xbox set-top box. Multiple sources familiar with Redmond's plans have confirmed to The Verge that the company plans to introduce a low-cost alternative to its Xbox console, designed to provide access to core entertainment services. The move will allow Microsoft to further increase its presence in the living room, providing consumers with a choice between a set-top box or a full next-generation Xbox console.

We're told that the set-top box is part of a two-SKU strategy for Microsoft's next-generation of Xbox hardware that will be unveiled in 2013, with a release date ahead of the holiday shopping season. The device will run on the core components of Windows 8 and support casual gaming titles rather than full Xbox games typically found on a dedicated console. Although hardware specifications aren't fully locked down, we understand Microsoft will use a chipset to enable an "always on" device that boots quickly and resumes to provide near-instant access to TV and entertainment services.

Microsoft's Xbox set-top box work is said to be part of a broader effort to ensure its core architecture for the next-generation Xbox is scalable enough to be put together to run on a number of devices. We understand that the company could opt to combine its core system for the next Xbox with a phone stack to deliver a phone capable of running a full version of Microsoft's Xbox Live services. It has also investigated providing this functionality to TV OEMs, who could include the core services as part of a licensed Xbox television set.

From The Verge. EDIT: Well, maybe it is not what you ask...

rdrr gnr

That subscription method is bound to return. $99 down and a monthly fee.
Then you're not going to get feature parity with an OS that is much larger and capable of doing more things...

Can't have your cake and eat it too
iirc, current OS disparity is only a few megabytes. But Sony has reduced their OS down from that launch monstrosity. I'm not asking for arbitrarily small -- just as small as possible.

stryke

None, but then again, I really don't understand how you can strip consoles any further "that just plays games".

Mascot

None, but then again, I really don't understand how you can strip consoles any further "that just plays games".

Well, one quick example is the ability to record TV. I have devices that do that already, and have no interest in paying for it in a games console. See?

Dilly

Banned
Since I probably have to start upgrading my PC frequently again with the new generation of consoles, I might just buy a console.

Skipped last generation, but I really like the rumoured specs of these things. Depends on how much it's going to cost though.

Sid

I think they'll break even for the first year or so and from then on will start to reap profits from the hardware.

Ashes

Banned
Don't know about the controller though. How do you fit a screen and make it fit current controller budgets? Implementing motion controls was easy and economical. Screens... Not so much.

Then again, rumble licenses far exceeded anything I imagined.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing I was just thinking of about Agni's Philosophy is how easily it could scale down a bit for consoles in an actual game setting. It was running at 1080p at 60fps with 8x MSAA + FXAA the last time it was shown and that used 1.8Gb of VRAM. If the consoles aimed for 1080p/30fps and used something like SMAA 4x (which is 4x MSAA + SMAA) it'll still have excellent image quality and have a ton of resources cleared up for other graphical effects and larger scale environments.

thuway

Bandwidth. Look at PS3.
There is a finite amount of things you can do with RAM. With 3 and a half GIGS of RAM you can essentially load nearly half a DVD8 game into memory. Bandwith issues will introduce headaches faster. The moment you crank up DX11, MSAA, and shadows...

No, i won´t look at the Vita since the Orbis will be much bigger multimedia machine than the Vita will ever be. I wish people would stop saying this crap. You can´t compare the OS functions of the Vita with the Orbis since the Orbis will be doing so much more out of the gate than the Vita will ever do. The next big thing might take much more memory than what´s allocated to the Orbis´s OS. So, no, 512MB RAM is very short sighted and not future proof.

You should look at Vita becauses it could hint at how Sony will treat the OS on the PS4. The Vita has a "lite" version of the OS while games are running and an inflated fuller featured OS while games are paused. The 512MB number could just be what's reserved while your playing games.

Besides what the fuck would you need your games console to be doing that would require more the 512MB of DDR5 ram while your playing a game?

Reiko

Banned
You should look at Vita becauses it could hint at how Sony will treat the OS on the PS4. The Vita has a "lite" version of the OS while games are running and an inflated fuller featured OS while games are paused. The 512MB number could just be what's reserved while your playing games.

Besides what the fuck would you need your games console to be doing that would require more the 512MB of DDR5 ram while your playing a game?

We'll find out at E3...

Sid

Whatever it is,if it has even more features and requires a lot more RAM for games than the Vita's OS I don't want it.

There is a finite amount of things you can do with RAM. With 3 and a half GIGS of RAM you can essentially load nearly half a DVD8 game into memory. Bandwith issues will introduce headaches faster. The moment you crank up DX11, MSAA, and shadows...

The question is will third party developer really care that much about bandwidth - will there always be a version for the 720 which loads as much as possible into memory and a PS4 version with the same IQ but at 60FPS and heavy streaming?

Here's a reality check for the core "faithful". Do not think for one second that Sony won't try with every second of it's beating heart to dominate the living room as THE ENTERTAINMENT hub of the next generation. The PS4 will not be a pure gaming console either. Stop living in 2000. The market has changed.

Beyond hardware, my expectations have been in check for both companies, especially after what we've experienced this gen. It's just the nature of business and staying relevant to maximize profits.

And profits is the buzzword for both consoles going forward. Less Red. More Green.

I didn't say that. Sony seems more committed to gaming and I honestly believe that. Look a the titles releasing this year for example. Look at the fact that they bought Sucker Punch and Media Molecule, have worked closely with Quantic, and expanded Santa Monica and Naughty Dog. Go back and read the past three E3 Microsoft press conference threads. The general sentiment is that they're not doing enough for gamers. Getting timed DLC and exclusive map packs might have been great at the beginning of the generation, but gamers want games.

I simply have more faith in Sony when it comes to gaming experiences and that will not change. I think their strategy last generation of not chasing third parties will pay off big time this generation.

The question is will third party developer really care that much about bandwidth - will there always be a version for the 720 which loads as much as possible into memory and a PS4 version with the same IQ but at 60FPS and heavy streaming?

Given the specs we know of, that wouldn't surprise me. Seems like PS4 is designed for 60fps in mind given the bandwidth it has to work with. This would match up with Sony aiming for 1080p, 60 fps as standard.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I'm really hoping Planetside 2 comes to Orbis. A fucking stellar game that as a release title could do wonders for Sony....and it looks great.

pretty much confirmed by IGN interview already. should be a launch title or window.

Top Bottom