• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

iceatcs

I wonder what are the odds of MS or Sony throwing out fake data.

I think it is less likely from them because they have nothing to show other people.
It's very likely that insiders can give faulty info to media if they want to, just for make media fool themselves, or watch the world burn.

So how is Ken Kutaragi doing these days anyway?

;)

EDIT: And what other RAM did it have besides the XDR and GDDR3?

RDRAM for Emotion engine and graphics synthesizer :

kaigai01l.gif

Ashes

Banned
The highest version of DX is 11.1. How would there be a "Direct X 11.5 Equivalent"

Ok. You have me there. But considering this was a while ago, and they were talking about a future chip, maybe the graphic card maker, Radeon in this case, has more information then we do. Who knows really?

Except that vg leaks sheet has been corroborated by quite a few publications now, insiders, devs, sources etc etc. Even this very thread seems like a revised - more up to date - version to that 'leak.'

Giggzy, as weird as your info sounds, it might be the only way Sony can get PS3 backwards compatibility.

I rather have a great hardware than Sony gimping the console to get backwards compatibility, so I hope your info is false. Waste of money, time and resource.

I agree. Drop BC completely if it means better head room for the system.

Is it ironic that VG leaks, VG247, and Digital Foundry all have essentially the same information? However, some junior member with zero credibility posts a diatribe about the most convoluted, expensive, and complex architecture - we suddenly take it seriously?

I don't think any of us are taking it seriously. When you do a drive by post and are MIA soon after its not a vote of confidence either.

Marco1

After the last three E3 shows I think it's obvious where MS are going with nextbox and kinect, I really think that apps, kinect and multi-media will play a huge part in the design of nextbox.
I also think with the PS4 Sony are looking at a gaming console first and that there is no way the controller will have a screen as a part of that controller but we are looking at something that splits into two separate parts.

Is it ironic that VG leaks, VG247, and Digital Foundry all have essentially the same information? However, some junior member with zero credibility posts a diatribe about the most convoluted, expensive, and complex architecture - we suddenly take it seriously?

I dont think anyone has taken it seriously...

Krabardaf

The highest version of DX is 11.1. How would there be a "Direct X 11.5 Equivalent"

It's a shortcut to say that the GPU will support a version of DX11 with a larger feature set than the actual PC. Rather obvious but still worth mentioning. Much like the 360 has a custom DX implementation.

Globox_82

Banned
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've waited quite a long time :D And thanks for the the ban tip. Like I said I'm not saying this is fact, just going by what I've been told by someone who has told me things in the past about Sony that have come true. But I won't relay many things anymore, especially if it's completely opposite of what everyone else is saying. I can see how that can be total BS.

He said a Super Companion Chip is: Cell's peripheral LSI, which houses audo and image interfaces supporting high-speed data transfer capability. The chip also supports a group of interfaces for various systems (video, audio input/output, digital AV interface, IEEE1394, digital tuner interface) and a group of interfaces that make it easier to connect standard input/output devices (standard bus interface, high speed network interface and storage device interface.) It's made by Toshiba.

Also the leaks I showed him weren't the DF one, it was the VG247 leak from the other day.

thanks. Sorry for scaring you with the ban. It seems I was wrong about it. Keep on sharing if you find out anything :p

Giggzy

Nobody needs to take me seriously. I'm not screaming that my info is correct, or even close to accurate. Just repeating what I've been told by someone who can be right or wrong.

No need to get your knickers in a twist. Stand by what you believe and time will prove if you're right or not. No need to condemn anyone for not believing what might be real or fake.

How does one Jaguar compare to Cell's PPE for general performance ?
I assume it's at least equal ?
If so, yeah maybe doesn't need an entire CPU to itself as long as the OS is lightweight and not trying to do too much. It seems like it could afford to spare 1 though, with all of the co-processors it seems to have onboard.

A single Jaguar core is much more powerful than the PPE. The PPE is an in order core, while jaguar is a traditional x86 out of order core.

Each of these cores only have 1 hardware thread, correct? If what you say is the case, they would have to rely on the game developers to leave some CPU time for OS functions. The PS3 currently reserves an SPE for the OS, I don't see why they would change that for the PS4.

Yes but the SPE is a very simple processor compared to an entire jaguard core, it would be a waste of silicon. I think the OS may run on a separate ARM chip.

Ashes

Banned

Hey. Don't bullshit a bullshitter. :p

Jnr is basically saying steamroller/apu + PS3 [bc] + some third branch [secret sauce]

Ashes

Banned
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've waited quite a long time :D And thanks for the the ban tip. Like I said I'm not saying this is fact, just going by what I've been told by someone who has told me things in the past about Sony that have come true. But I won't relay many things anymore, especially if it's completely opposite of what everyone else is saying. I can see how that can be total BS.

He said a Super Companion Chip is: Cell's peripheral LSI, which houses audo and image interfaces supporting high-speed data transfer capability. The chip also supports a group of interfaces for various systems (video, audio input/output, digital AV interface, IEEE1394, digital tuner interface) and a group of interfaces that make it easier to connect standard input/output devices (standard bus interface, high speed network interface and storage device interface.) It's made by Toshiba.

Also the leaks I showed him weren't the DF one, it was the VG247 leak from the other day.

The fuck?

How did you retain all that information down from a single conversation?

This is all so very reasonable. I don't know what to do? lol.

Marco1

Nobody needs to take me seriously. I'm not screaming that my info is correct, or even close to accurate. Just repeating what I've been told by someone who can be right or wrong.

No need to get your knickers in a twist. Stand by what you believe and time will prove if you're right or not. No need to condemn anyone for not believing what might be real or fake.

Don't worry, the thing about these threads is that the truth comes out eventually. Until that point all we really do is throw around our thoughts and hope something sticks.
Until someone breaks NDA which isn't going to happen then just enjoy the ride.

StevieP

Banned
A single Jaguar core is much more powerful than the PPE. The PPE is an in order core, while jaguar is a traditional x86 out of order core.

Cell is much, much stronger with vectorized code than a jaguar. The jaguar will best the PPE at general purpose code. The jaguar is the amd equivalent to intel's atom or arm cores in your smartphones and tablets. Check out some bobcat reviews for a rough idea of what to expect.

thuway

I understand, but you also could say what's wrong/right about the O.P. And tell us the rest, like what's the difference between Durango's GPU and Orbis GPU aside from the TFLOP numbers? What's the "special sauce" in both of them?

Is the info about OS reserves on both machines new or old info?

Playing cat and mouse is only fun when it's made by the people who apparently know everything but never put out much information at all. Because they probably have something to lose by doing it?

You stand by the ESRAM and the TFLOPS and RAM, I get it. Why not spill the rest then?

There is not much else to spill. The information that is out there, is what we know. I gave out RAM speeds, but if you want more, than I will preface this by saying: I don't know which system is more powerful. I don't know how much RAM is dedicated to OS. I don't know what controllers look like.

I personally don't know about the special sauce, in fact, I was the first person who coined the term "Special Sauce". All I know is its knowledge is within a very small realm of people. It is highly sensitive information, and I can speculate it is some sort of FPGA or function that will enhance GPGPU functions. There is no such thing as a blitter. One thing I do know, is the DSP on Durango is beastly.

You will have to wait, like the rest of us.

Ramblin

Banned

Too late you have been condemned. Either way, welcome to the club. And when in doubt hold your tongue and you'll make it through the gauntlet.

Software is impossible for now. It's hardware, cloud-based or nothing.

I'm telling you guys Giggzy is making er sense. Lol.

This is fun!

hardware or death!

even though I have a very good internet connection, I wouldn't really want a cloud based solution to bc at launch. maybe some years into the consoles life, but not at launch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The fuck?

How did you retain all that information down from a single conversation?

Because it's someone synthesising a picture from a things on the internet...?

At least, that's what it looks like. If he's right it'll be legendary, but put me in the highly skeptical category right now.

Ashes

Banned

I mean yeah. I could had done something similar if I wanted to. Anybody could. So do, if you're not already, take everything with a pinch of salt. But I love the speculation though. Much better than dull this game is better, no that dev is better, no my opinion is better than yours. :p

Because it's someone synthesising a picture from a things on the internet...?

At least, that's what it looks like. If he's right it'll be legendary, but put me in the highly skeptical category right now.

hey, I know. But just trying to make it a little less tedius.

Clockwork

The point was PS3 had 3 types of RAM simple as that, regardless what it was for.

Alright, I can understand your viewpoint. I guess it's subjective in that I was looking at it with difference being that removing the GS/EE and 32mb of RDRAM from the PS3 had no bearing on the functionality of the PS3.

If I was to talk about the original PS3 I wouldn't say "Man that thing was a beast, it had 2 CPU's (CELL and Emotion Engine) and 2 GPU's (RSX and Graphics synthesizer) and 3 types of RAM (XDR/GDDR3/RDRAM)" because they are not coherent and don't work together. I don't consider the BC hardware as being "part of the PS3"

In any case doesn't take away the fact that what Giggzy describes is a clusterfuck of a design and Sony would be completely insane to go that direction.

Not only that, but the info being spread is in direct conflict with what is being described by more credible sources.

B.O.O.M

You don't need to believe me, but the moment I found it was real, I changed my entire posting habits. Aurhur outed the RAM numbers, I was the person who revealed the speed of Durango's RAM, so I'm sure you will love to pretend I know nothing. Have some faith in me GAF -_-, I have been parroting the specs in the OP for a while now.

Btw Gaf can anyone discuss the pros and cons of going with steamroller vs Jaguar? Sorry to be a pain but it's one thing that I have not seen being discussed and would like to understand it better if possible

The whole "special sauce" thing is one of the stupidest god damn things I've heard regarding technology. If you want to call it a speculated blitter, then call it that, not some fucking wizard's jizz.

StevieP

Banned

Btw Gaf can anyone discuss the pros and cons of going with steamroller vs Jaguar? Sorry to be a pain but it's one thing that I have not seen being discussed and would like to understand it better if possible

Steamroller is what you'd put in a computer, jaguar is what you'd put in a tablet or smart phone.

thuway

The whole "special sauce" thing is one of the stupidest god damn things I've heard regarding technology. If you want to call it a speculated blitter, then call it that, not some fucking wizard's jizz.

There is no blitter. It was a joke some guys were talking about, but somehow it took a life of its own.

Monas

The tree-way architecture doesn't make sense, because it makes the silicon expensive and it also makes the software production expensive.

Both of these are no-no's in the next gen.

They have to lower the production cost of games by making the games and their ports easier to develop, or the industry will implode. Sony, MS and Ninty know that.

Meanwhile the PS4's "secret sauce" could be an all purpose SoC like SpursEngine by Toshiba. That could be very likely, would not break the flow of the AMD architecture and could provide the "exotic" part, that is in place with the Sony console legacy.

But 3 different RAM arch's in 3 different pools? no no no no

Proxy

But then how would I make my favorite console sound more powerful?

Trust me, no one is taking that post seriously.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So are there any major benefits going with steamroller vs Jaguar? I'm guessing it will be more expensive so will it be worth it?

It would have better single threaded performance.

CPU code on these jaguar setups will need to be well parallelised to achieve maximum performance. Any tasks restricted to a single thread will do less well on jaguar than they would have on Steamroller.

It's also not just about expense, I believe, but also timetables. I think the suggestion was that Steamroller was the original plan (for Orbis anyway) but was switched when it became clear it wouldn't meet Sony's deadlines. Jaguar is more ready to roll.

RedSwirl

I don't think Microsoft is operating under the idea that it will be a catch-all box right away. That's a second half-of-lifespan move (note kinect released on the fifth birthday of the 360). The now-infamous strategy doc was pretty clear about their market strategy, which is to dominate gamers first, then broaden once the price of the system/profit margin went up. Because it doesn't do Microsoft a lot of good to sell those early systems to people who aren't buying games to offset the loss they'll take on the hardware.

What if they buy Windows 8 apps on it? Microsoft get's 30 percent of that revenue right?

B.O.O.M

It would have better single threaded performance.

CPU code on these jaguar setups will need to be well parallelised to achieve maximum performance. Any tasks restricted to a single thread will do less well on jaguar than they would have on Steamroller.

It's also not just about expense, I believe, but also timetables. I think the suggestion was that Steamroller was the original plan (for Orbis anyway) but was switched when it became clear it wouldn't meet Sony's deadlines. Jaguar is more ready to roll.

I see. Thanks again to you and stevie for the explanations. All these tech discussions are exciting :D From my complete tech noob point of view it seems we will end up with systems with strengths in different areas but are comparable overall. Sounds great!

Now track pad + Biometric OR touch screen + biometric ...so many possibilities

Top Bottom