• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

DrFurbs

After being at a con all weekend, I can definitely say I'm getting real fucking tired of my shitty battery life on my Nexus 6P. Holy shit do I need the Pixel 2 XL in my life right now.

It's completely disgusting. The price of these new phones are now on par with laptops and they are expected to last 5 years or more.

If people had to change their laptops every two years because of poor performance or faults, the arse would drop out of there computer market. No one would stand for this.

It's completely disgusting. The price of these new phones are now on par with laptops and they are expected to last 5 years or more.

If people had to change their laptops every two years because of poor performance or faults, the arse would drop out of there computer market. No one would stand for this.

You can buy an iPhone and expect it to last that length of time. If you bought a 64 GB iPhone 5S at launch, you could still be using that same phone today (the battery may need replacing, but try finding a laptop that doesn't need a battery replaced within that time frame). The 5S will be upgraded to iOS 11 this year, meaning it'll still be up-to-date in 2018 - 5 years after its initial release. For all the shit they get for being expensive devices, iPhones still offer fantastic value.

My Mum bought a Nokia Lumia 830 shortly after its release. It started on Windows Phone 8, and was upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile, and is still receiving updates to this day. That phone released in 2014.

This isn't a mobile problem, this is an Android problem. It won't change because consumers don't care. Sucks if you need a dual-SIM phone though - I can't see Apple moving into that market any time soon.

DrFurbs

This HP Ultra book I'm using has been used very heavily during my PhD and all work/publications over this last 5 years. It's still rocking the same hardware with no issues including battery.

Anyways, fuck it. I'm going to replace the Nexus 6p battery myself. Ordered from a battery from a UK company on eBay. Watched a few videos. Seems easy enough once I melt the glue.

Ordered a U11 today as a replacement for my S7 Edge.

I'm probably one of the few People who don't like the borderless screen. Yeah it looks nice, but I always touch those damn borders and don't ever try giving your phone to someone else for showing a photo for example. And I also don't like the camera, the sharpening is very agressive.

The U11 will be a step back with regards to screen quality, but I liked how snappy it felt in the store and the camera seems to be very good.

Blackhead

Redarse
Ordered a U11 today as a replacement for my S7 Edge.

I'm probably one of the few People who don't like the borderless screen. Yeah it Looks nice, but I always touch those damn borders and don't ever try giving your phone to somen else for showing a photo for example. And I also don't like the camera, the sharpening is very agressive.

The U11 will be a step back with regards to screen quality, but I liked how snappy it felt in the store and the camera seems to be very good.

S8's borderless screen design is better than the S7 Edge

phanphare

Banned
omg, so I'm wondering if any of yall can help me

I just bought a moto z play. I want to get a car charger for it that will turbo charge the phone. doing some research and I just can't get a good read on any of these products other than a verizon one that's like $45 and if at all possible I'd like to pay less than that. so if I've got a good grasp on what is required it needs to be a usb c to usb c charger and support power delivery. however all the chargers that I've seen seem to have mixed reviews about one thing or another making me cautious about purchasing any of them. it's like every charger I come across has some kind of review that makes the product seem like a pos.

any help with this would be much appreciated

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm sure GAF know the answer. Just updated to 7.1.1 and my home button is now two concentric circles with a nice animation for assistant. My wife's phone is on 7.1.1 and she does not have the same animation and concentric circles. What gives? Moto Z phones.

Jeffrey

I'm sure GAF know the answer. Just updated to 7.1.1 and my home button is now two concentric circles with a nice animation for assistant. My wife's phone is on 7.1.1 and she does not have the same animation and concentric circles. What gives? Moto Z phones.

could depend on the phone. oneplus phoens don't have the 2 rings on the center? Do yall both have the same model?

AndyD

aka andydumi
omg, so I'm wondering if any of yall can help me

I just bought a moto z play. I want to get a car charger for it that will turbo charge the phone. doing some research and I just can't get a good read on any of these products other than a verizon one that's like $45 and if at all possible I'd like to pay less than that. so if I've got a good grasp on what is required it needs to be a usb c to usb c charger and support power delivery. however all the chargers that I've seen seem to have mixed reviews about one thing or another making me cautious about purchasing any of them. it's like every charger I come across has some kind of review that makes the product seem like a pos.

any help with this would be much appreciated

Both my wife and I use the "Mpow USB car charger with Type-C Cable" from Amazon. With Moto Z phones. They work great and were relatively inexpensive. One USB-C cable built-in plus an extra usb port on each.

kaiyo

You can buy an iPhone and expect it to last that length of time. If you bought a 64 GB iPhone 5S at launch, you could still be using that same phone today (the battery may need replacing, but try finding a laptop that doesn't need a battery replaced within that time frame). The 5S will be upgraded to iOS 11 this year, meaning it'll still be up-to-date in 2018 - 5 years after its initial release. For all the shit they get for being expensive devices, iPhones still offer fantastic value.

My Mum bought a Nokia Lumia 830 shortly after its release. It started on Windows Phone 8, and was upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile, and is still receiving updates to this day. That phone released in 2014.

This isn't a mobile problem, this is an Android problem. It won't change because consumers don't care. Sucks if you need a dual-SIM phone though - I can't see Apple moving into that market any time soon.

I used the Galaxy Nexus for 4+ years until I changed phone, the battery was shit by that time though.

Just seen the size of it.. I'm out
Too big.

wait for the XZ1, being announce at the end of August.

phanphare

Banned
Both my wife and I use the "Mpow USB car charger with Type-C Cable" from Amazon. With Moto Z phones. They work great and were relatively inexpensive. One USB-C cable built-in plus an extra usb port on each.

those aren't available :(

either way this became a less pressing matter as my phone got delayed until september

AndyD

aka andydumi
How are you and wife liking the z phones? Do y'all use mods?

Are they nice gimmicks or game changers?

I use the Z, she uses the Play.

We have two mods, both were free, the Incipio battery pack and the JBL speaker one. She does not use any, I use the Incipio non stop. We use the speaker occasionally.

For one, the battery on the Z is great and it would get me through the day with 15-30% left. But adding the pack makes it so that I never worry about battery. I can go 2-3 days and never worry. If I forget to plug it in at night, I just don't care. But even more importantly for me, it adds weight and thickness to the phone. With nothing, the phone is too thin, and edges too sharp to use comfortably. With a mod on the back it's just right so the phone is clearly designed to have something on it. in that sense, it's a game changer, it makes the phone feel right and perform incredibly long.

Her Play's battery goes for days as it's so much more efficient and she is a lighter user than I. She has a case because similarly she wanted more substance when holding the phone, and to protect it in her purse.

The JBL speaker mod is nice but nothing to write home about. It's super thick, so it's not a pocketable device at all. You can listen to music, but it's no substitute for a car stereo, home stereo or anything like that. What is cool about it is that it incorporates a big battery and a kickstand that's a great handle. This sounds weird at first. We do a lot of video chat with our parents so they can see the kids. So the speaker adds both a nice handle and loud speakers for the chat so the kids can hear and talk without issue. Plus it adds weight so they don't shake it around when talking, it makes the thing feel substantial. And you can use the kickstand on a table for a good speaking angle.

Overall, I would highly recommend the phones. The Z play is fantastic and she can do anything she needs without issue. It's thicker and feels better in hand than the Z. In retrospect, I would have gotten the same for me, but we got them at launch in the fall so specs was all we had to go on. The higher resolution on the Z is largely useless and the added thinness is defeated by losing out on battery life and using a mod. My gripe still stands that I cannot find decent bumpers that allow for mod use. I'd like a bumper to add grip (the phone sides are metallic and slippery) but I'd like to continue using the mod. The Incipio bumpers are super bulky, and the Verizon ones are always out of stock, and $30 when available.

The Play is a fantastic phone, and Z is great, but not as well balanced. If the top and bottom bezels were reduced 1-2 more mm, they would be near perfect phones.

Leunam

I just picked up an S8 today and I'm really liking it so far. On past Android phones I've been using launchers other than the default one. Last one I used was Nova launcher and I'll probably use it again but I was wondering if y'all had suggestions for something else. I don't know if anything new came out that's worth looking at since the release of the S5, which was my last phone.

I just picked up an S8 today and I'm really liking it so far. On past Android phones I've been using launchers other than the default one. Last one I used was Nova launcher and I'll probably use it again but I was wondering if y'all had suggestions for something else. I don't know if anything new came out that's worth looking at since the release of the S5, which was my last phone.
Action Launcher is really good. I think it and Nova are the best.

Edit: The Essential really does look good outside of that camera cutout.

Why does Chrome look completely different than it did on my old s7? Its the same app, whats different?

GAF for example has weird colours...

Husker86

Switched back to the Pixel XL after being on the S8+ for a while.

Samsung screen brightness advantage is insane.

Also, all vibration on phones besides Samsung and iPhones suck.

IronRaven

I've had the G6 for a couple of days now and I'm really enjoying it a lot. Here's a few of my thoughts and impressions.

The G6 is smaller than the 6P and I thought the 6P was the perfect size for me. Turns out that it's not. The bezeless/minimum bezels design of the G6 coupled with the 5.7 inch display is perfect for my hands. While it's not AMOLED, I still really like the display and it's sharp enough that it doesn't bother me. I love the fact that I can actually see it in direct sunlight even when wearing sunglasses and without needing to max out the brightness.

Speaking of design, I love having a microSD card slot once again on my phone. It's something I wish the Nexus/Pixel line would have. Having that IP68 and MIL-STD 810G ratings gives me a peace mind when using the phone. It might not mean much to most people, but it's nice knowing it's there. I also like the fact that I can use it pretty easily with one hand. I missed that about smartphones. Despite being smaller than the 6P, it manages to still feel like I'm not "missing out" on having a bigger phone. It's all display all the time.

In terms of performance, it's pretty damn fast and it's basically on par with the 6P from my short time with it. Not sure how well it will hold up over time, but I'll find out. I'm just enjoying the fact that my phone no longer feels like a hot plate after using it after awhile.

Battery life has been pretty good, but nothing to write home about. Due to my job, I don't often use my phone at work so battery life isn't an issue. That said, it doesn't drain nearly as quick as my 6P did. Only time will tell how well the battery will hold up.

The duel cameras are great, but I don't have a whole lot experience using them yet as I don't usually take a lot of pictures. That said, I think the few photos I've taken do come out well in auto mode. Once I get more time with the cameras, I will probably make a follow up.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Why does Chrome look completely different than it did on my old s7? Its the same app, whats different?

GAF for example has weird colours...

How is it different? Chrome sometimes lets some people see google changes before others. My wife and I often have different google home pages. As to GAF colors, do you mean night/day themes?

DrFurbs

I've had the G6 for a couple of days now and I'm really enjoying it a lot. Here's a few of my thoughts and impressions.

The G6 is smaller than the 6P and I thought the 6P was the perfect size for me. Turns out that it's not. The bezeless/minimum bezels design of the G6 coupled with the 5.7 inch display is perfect for my hands. While it's not AMOLED, I still really like the display and it's sharp enough that it doesn't bother me. I love the fact that I can actually see it in direct sunlight even when wearing sunglasses and without needing to max out the brightness.

Speaking of design, I love having a microSD card slot once again on my phone. It's something I wish the Nexus/Pixel line would have. Having that IP68 and MIL-STD 810G ratings gives me a peace mind when using the phone. It might not mean much to most people, but it's nice knowing it's there. I also like the fact that I can use it pretty easily with one hand. I missed that about smartphones. Despite being smaller than the 6P, it manages to still feel like I'm not "missing out" on having a bigger phone. It's all display all the time.

In terms of performance, it's pretty damn fast and it's basically on par with the 6P from my short time with it. Not sure how well it will hold up over time, but I'll find out. I'm just enjoying the fact that my phone no longer feels like a hot plate after using it after awhile.

Battery life has been pretty good, but nothing to write home about. Due to my job, I don't often use my phone at work so battery life isn't an issue. That said, it doesn't drain nearly as quick as my 6P did. Only time will tell how well the battery will hold up.

The duel cameras are great, but I don't have a whole lot experience using them yet as I don't usually take a lot of pictures. That said, I think the few photos I've taken do come out well in auto mode. Once I get more time with the cameras, I will probably make a follow up.

Just a heads up. The pixel camera now works on Qualcomm 820+ chipsets and gives almost perfect pixel type shots.

If you wanted to mess about. I really like this phone, but it's overpriced for the hardware imo.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I want the Motorola Turbo Power Pack mod for my Z Play. I don't really need it since this phone has the best battery life ever, but I just want it to see how insane it'll be with the mod. Too bad it's not available to purchase through Moto atm. ;(

How is it different? Chrome sometimes lets some people see google changes before others. My wife and I often have different google home pages. As to GAF colors, do you mean night/day themes?

I usually use the night theme, which had a gray background behind the text in threads. It's completely black now.

Maddrical

Hey lads, anyone got a good fitness app recommendation? I used Apple Health on my iPhone and then Google Fit on my Pixel XL but Fit is just kinda... shit.

KiKaL

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap small android phone? I have a Nexus 6P as my main phone and then use a MotoX with a data sim as my running phone. My MotoX has seen better days, headphone jack no longer works and the case is severely cracked, and I wouldn't mind replacing it if I can find something $50 or less. I just want something that can use my GoogleFi data sim card, run Strava, PocketCast and Google Play Music. Highly doubtful but waterproof would be amazing.

Any recommendations?

OLED vs. LCD screen maybe?

SwNqLxV.png

Black for me on my Pixel XL.

I can't remember, will the Pixel 2 probably be October or will it be November? Or do you think it will be out next month (the 6P came out at the end of Sept)?

Nabbed the 32gb Moto E4 Plus for $160 with Amazon ads and stuff.

My Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge would need a charge after about 8 hours. And I tried everything: getting rid of Facebook, using AMOLED only stuff, no live wallpaper, display all the way down, etc.

Well, this 5,000 mAh battery is going to be a GODsend. I'm willing to trade nearly everything else (better display, better camera, better performance) for a better battery. I've got a 2 year old and another one due any day now, and the last thing I want to do is to LUG around a battery charger to get photos of my newborn.

Plus I wanted a bigger phone.

So yay!

I just checked, and it was... black. Strange. Never mind.

Battery life on the U11 is ok, not amazing, but I got through the day without having to worry. I do miss the great viewing angles of the OLED screen.

The headphones that come with it are amazing. It's like they felt bad for taking away the headphone port and had to give the customers something in return.

LogicStep

So I cleared the cache on my Nexus 6 like a week ago. Shit is back to performing crappy. Runs fine most of the time but then it'll lag like hell, especially when using the camera app. It's almost impossible to take a quick picture making me mad that the moment passed and I couldn't grab a pic.

I thought this phone was supposed to be good. :/

17.8 GB of 25.96 used if that matters.

Dobsie

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap small android phone? I have a Nexus 6P as my main phone and then use a MotoX with a data sim as my running phone. My MotoX has seen better days, headphone jack no longer works and the case is severely cracked, and I wouldn't mind replacing it if I can find something $50 or less. I just want something that can use my GoogleFi data sim card, run Strava, PocketCast and Google Play Music. Highly doubtful but waterproof would be amazing.

Any recommendations?
A first gen Moto g maybe? You'd struggle to find anything small enough to be convenient while running nowadays, plus your budget is quite restrained.
I thought about this a while ago but kept with the Garmin plus sanza zipclip setup I currently have. (The zipclip is indestructible, I've had it probably 8 years and it's been through sweat and rain constantly but is still rocking.)

So I cleared the cache on my Nexus 6 like a week ago. Shit is back to performing crappy. Runs fine most of the time but then it'll lag like hell, especially when using the camera app. It's almost impossible to take a quick picture making me mad that the moment passed and I couldn't grab a pic.

I thought this phone was supposed to be good. :/

17.8 GB of 25.96 used if that matters.
Considered running a custom kernel on your device? Or have you already done that? I own the same phone and I been with it since its release.

IronRaven

...but it's overpriced for the hardware imo.

I keep hearing this, but I disagree.

Granted, I bought the phone second hand that came with two extra chargers (one normal and one car charger), a 64gig MicroSD card, three cases, a pre-installed screen protector, and all the original gubins so it was a killer deal for me.

I think spec sheets are matter less and less the more time goes one. It really boils down to personal experience and use.

Jeffrey

Think we can expect them you tubers coverage for essential soon. Where is that dbrand skin?

Predictions. Positive reviews. High floss factor because it's honestly the sexiest phone of the year so far imo.

Question is if the camera is good?

Top Bottom