• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Disgaea 3 trailer on PSN looks awesome, long live 2d console gaming!

Bebpo

Banned
Why has no one captured the brand new 4+ min HD trailer of Disgaea 3 off PSN yet? I just watched it and am extremely impressed.

I wasn't really sold on the screenshots entirely and I was hoping the game would look better in motion and damn, it really does. Looks like Disgaea 2 with a fairly big graphical improvement. Widescreen is really nice, the HD cut-ins for attacks look great, and the use of 3d angles and backgrounds for all the attacks makes the animation look pretty good! Unlike the screenshots, the characters fit in to the backgrounds just as well as they did on PS2 and the amount of sprites the game is throwing around looks insane at times.

I'm a bit biased because I love everything N1 makes anymore, but that was the best trailer I've seen in a long time.

Someone rip it please!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Bebpo said:
Why has no one captured the brand new 4+ min HD trailer of Disgaea 3 off PSN yet? I just watched it and am extremely impressed.

I wasn't really sold on the screenshots entirely and I was hoping the game would look better in motion and damn, it really does. Looks like Disgaea 2 with a fairly big graphical improvement. Widescreen is really nice, the HD cut-ins for attacks look great, and the use of 3d angles and backgrounds for all the attacks makes the animation look pretty good! Unlike the screenshots, the characters fit in to the backgrounds just as well as they did on PS2 and the amount of sprites the game is throwing around looks insane at times.

I'm a bit biased because I love everything N1 makes anymore, but that was the best trailer I've seen in a long time.

Someone rip it please!

This trailer would be for the Japanese psn correct if not then where is it available to?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bebpo said:

Someone rip it please!

Wait, what?

*runs to JP PSN account*

Bebpo

Banned
Elbrain said:
This trailer would be for the Japanese psn correct if not then where is it available to?

Yeah, it's been on the JPN PSN store for like 3 days. I just noticed it now since no one had mentioned it yet.

Zoe

Yeah, it's been up since Thursday or so.

Looks interesting, but I haven't played any of the series yet. It kinda bugs me how the sprites are low-res though.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Bebpo said:
Yeah, it's been on the JPN PSN store for like 3 days. I just noticed it now since no one had mentioned it yet.

Coo coo I will check it out then usually I don't check out the Jp account till some thing good is up and this would qualify under the good part!

Bebpo

Banned
Zoe said:
Yeah, it's been up since Thursday or so.

Looks interesting, but I haven't played any of the series yet. It kinda bugs me how the sprites are low-res though.

It's a good series to give a shot. Some don't like it, but a lot of people really enjoy them for both the gameplay and the characters/stories. N1 writes pretty good humor and their battle systems have sooo much depth to mess around with :) They're also really easy to get into. Just start out playing it like a normal rpg and focusing on the plot, and then as you go start trying out the side-systems and go more in-depth in your character making.

harSon

Banned
You got me all hyped for nothing, looks like more of the same. :/ I'll still be buying the game regardless of graphics, it's a pretty damn solid franchise.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jan 31? That's soon.
Indifferent2.gif

zoku88

UltiGamer said:
I guess I will be playing the demo until the US version is released...
What demo? All we have is the trailer...

EDIT: now that I've seen the trailer. It's kind of weird seeing portraits and backgrounds that are really sharp but sprites that are pixelated. I'd rather them pay more attn to sprite detail...

duckroll

The video was pretty good. Wakamoto narrating is always good, but it's nice to see that there are parts (hopefully many parts) of the game where they zoom out to show the larger maps. It's great because at zoomed out levels, the sprites look really good and they can fit many more of them on the screen! :lol

acidviper

Banned
Really disappointed with 2. I think they just make a new series. That's what they do anyways. Tweak the tried and true formula, stick another anti-hero/ghost/littlegirl in there and off we go.

=0 Loving the Wild Arms style whistling at the end of the trailer.

Yeah, it'd be nice if it did have hi-res sprites... the moon crashing into the stage really could look better.... but oh well, you get what you're given. Sony needs to fund a Disgaea game directly, and get some top artists to do cel-shaded 3D models in harada's style. Oh yeah.

Danj

Android18a said:
Sony needs to fund a Disgaea game directly, and get some top artists to do cel-shaded 3D models in harada's style. Oh yeah.

This.

iapetus said:
Well, that looks all kinds of awesome.

Not just that, but it sounded awesome too, with Wakamoto narrating! :D

Kyoufu

Okay, watched all of the trailer and I am now extremely hyped. It looks like the other Disgaea games but holy crap, it looks crazier. Those team special attacks are awesome. This is going to be one huge game that will suck in hundreds of hours.

But why must it come out on the same day as DMC4? :(

edbrat

Crikey I thought I had cured myself of this game having not played D1 or D2 for months now but watching that brings it all back and makes the part of my brain responsible for planning geo symbol / panel chain reactions twitch like mad. Damnit.

haowan

MoxManiac said:
I don't even care about the storyline

Ah, it's a great added bonus though when the story is actually entertaining. D1's story was anyway, i missed out D2... so i can't comment on that.

oneHeero

Way to many games to buy in a bunch. UT tomorrow DMC/D3 next month, just bought COD/AC/R&C this past month. Thats a lot of freaking money. RockBand is here and I'm throwing money into DLC...

$550+ In games within 2-3months ><

I downloaded the video too and was impressed. The battles look really hectic this time. I hope there's download content in the future and home trophies. Can't wait. :D

Fady K

BoilersFan23 said:
I downloaded the video too and was impressed. The battles look really hectic this time. I hope there's download content in the future and home trophies. Can't wait. :D

Seconded. The trophies gotta start rolling in :D

Oneself

Gameplay looks great.. but there shouldn't be any praise for the graphics. Low res sprites on top of bad textures, applied to extremely low geometry. For 2D, go play Odin Sphere, realize that it's a PS2 game, then come back here.

Kyoufu

Oneself said:
Gameplay looks great.. but there shouldn't be any praise for the graphics. Low res sprites on top of bad textures, applied to extremely low geometry. For 2D, go play Odin Sphere, realize that it's a PS2 game, then come back here.

I don't care about graphics. I want stats.

STATS STATS STATS!

Elios83

Wow.... those washed out low res sprites in the HD trailer.. really hurt the eyes.
I loved Disgaea1 and I understand that this kind of games aren't about graphics but those sprites ruin it. INippon Ichi really went low budget with this game :/

zoku88

DieH@rd said:
Haha, best trailer ever! DISSSUGEEAAA THRIIII

This game will sell milions in first hour of sales in Japan. :) :D
Hahaha... Optimistic, aren't we? (How many PS3s have sold in Japan, anyway?)

theultimo

Wakamoto is AMAZING. The new mechanics look like a lot of fun.

Also, the new dark assembly-type system looks like more user input into it instead of a random number generator.

BlackGoku03 said:
Looks good... I've never played the first two though. Should I play those before this or what?
If you have a PSP, grab the remake. Easily the best D1 version. D2 added more gameplay, but fell short on its story compared to D1. However, it still was a good game.

Top Bottom