• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

PaulBizkit

A new Hope and phantom means are great titles.

My personal ranking of titles is:

8. Attack Of The Clones
7. A New Hope (i just call it star wars)
6. The Force Awakens (the spanish title is way better because it would translate to The Awakening Of The Force)
5. The Empire Strikes Back
4. The Phantom Menace
3. The Last Jedi (i love bad omen titles)
2. Return Of The Jedi (it's talking about anakin, he returns from the dark side, get it?)
1. Revenge Of The Sith (sounds furious and kind of violent, it marks an objective right from the start and makes sure you know this can't end well)

Tbh, the more I think about it, the less I like the name. It's not quite "attack of the clones" bad, but it just sorta... sits there. The Revenge of the Sith, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, hell, even The Phantom Menace all evoke a lot more in terms of mental imagery and activity.

imo I always thought the Phantom Menace was the best title despite being my least favorite SW movie. This new title I have no problem with though and I still think it evokes a lot of questioning and theories from others.

shingi70

Banned
Just started life debt and I have to acquaint myself with the way Wendig writes almost like the script to a play. The first chapters were a bit fought but just got to chapter 3 with Rae Solane Andrew it's smooth sailing once again.

Malyse

Just started life debt and I have to acquaint myself with the way Wendig writes almost like the script to a play. The first chapters were a bit fought but just got to chapter 3 with Rae Solane Andrew it's smooth sailing once again.
Why are you reading Star Wars novels in 2017? Get the audiobook and treat yourself well.

Huh. Looks like they replaced Scott Townley with Anthony Carboni for co-host duties on The Star Wars Show.

So far no real explanation as to why. It makes sense, Carboni has more visibility online, he works well with Gutierrez, people seem to really like the dude. But it's not like Townley wasn't doing a good job, either .

I dunno. Anyway, there you go. Andi & Anthony host the Star Wars Show.

I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet but some potential details on deleted Vader scenes from Rogue One. The scenes themselves seem to make sense when you take into account the some of the promo images and cut scenes that were from the trailer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarssp...ary_of_the_deleted_vader_scenes_in_rogue_one/

I had a feeling Krennic was pointing his gun at Tarkin in that shot. It wouldn't have made much sense for him to live past that so I'm glad they didn't use it. If those deleted scenes with Vader are legit, I'm happier with what we got.

Huh. Looks like they replaced Scott Townley with Anthony Carboni for co-host duties on The Star Wars Show.

So far no real explanation as to why. It makes sense, Carboni has more visibility online, he works well with Gutierrez, people seem to really like the dude. But it's not like Townley wasn't doing a good job, either .

I dunno. Anyway, there you go. Andi & Anthony host the Star Wars Show.

That's a shame, I thought Scott was doing a good job. He did seem to get shunted to the side at the Rogue One premiere with Carboni taking the lead.

Star Wars #27's out today! Looking forward to more Yoda.

444935._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Noto's cover for the Rogue One adaptation is unsurprisingly great as well.

Guys, today I found out my little one is going to be a boy. This is the Star Wars thread so it's only fitting to say that the wife and I are such big Star Wars fans, we named him (first and middle), Lucas Rey!

Guys, today I found out my little one is going to be a boy. This is the Star Wars thread so it's only fitting to say that the wife and I are such big Star Wars fans, we named him (first and middle), Lucas Rey!

Congrats on both having a kid and having the restraint not to name him Chewbacca :)

Congrats again! Now you need to resist the urge to say 'These are your first steps' when he starts walking.

I briefly saw some article on my social feed saying Old Republic is now canon cause of Rebels. Any truth to that?

No.

I mean, Old Republic-era material has been easing into the new canon since before the "new canon" was a thing (Clone Wars) and Rebels has been continuing this trend to a greater extent, but SWTOR/KOTOR and any associated media aren't themselves canon, no. Just the specific elements they continue to reincorporate.

The post was probably specifically referring to the
Mandalorian Wars
(does this need to be spoilered? I dunno, I'll play it safe) being reintroduced to the canon. We know very little about the canon incarnation though, beyond that
the Jedi won

Woorloog

Banned
I really hope The Old Republic doesn't get recanonized. The game's storyline is complete insanity with the lamest over the top villain ever.

KOTOR? Whatever, don't give a shit either way.

Sayers

I had a feeling Krennic was pointing his gun at Tarkin in that shot. It wouldn't have made much sense for him to live past that so I'm glad they didn't use it. If those deleted scenes with Vader are legit, I'm happier with what we got.

Yeah none of that really fit with my perception of Vader. Doesn't he despise Tarkin for the whole prosecuting Ahsoka thing?

I really hope The Old Republic doesn't get recanonized. The game's storyline is complete insanity with the lamest over the top villain ever.

KOTOR? Whatever, don't give a shit either way.

I would trust Filoni to pull out the bad parts and integrate it well. Of KOTOR anyways, never played the MMO.

Woorloog

Banned
Would you be okay with them changing it to something different then?

I would trust Filoni to pull out the bad parts and integrate it well. Of KOTOR anyways, never played the MMO.

The best to canonize TOR (and KOTOR) would be: "4000 to 3000 years ago, there was a series of wars between the Old Republic and Jedi and Sith." Basically acknowledge the timeline is superficially similar but that's all.
Basically, no details. Maybe future Star Wars stories can make up something for that time, but just don't refer directly to the games or stuff from them as they are. Something like "Myth of Revan, no one actually knows if he or she was a Sith or a Jedi" could be fun. Just like Malachor is a place where Jedi and Sith fought once.

Sayers

they did Revan dirty in TOR, and George almost did him dirty in TCW

Could Filoni do it right? i would hope so

You can find a clip on YouTube of Filoni talking about that scene and how uncomfortable he was with it and the implications of Sith ghosts. It was ultimately up to Lucas and fortunately he made the right choice in the end.

The trilogy is complete. Empire'a End is the longest book of the three at 423 pages.

16386925_10155020867958713_2721848401375598438_n.jpg

Forgot to post this yesterday - Jyn's getting a young adult book that's set when she was with Saw and his rebels.

When Jyn Erso was five years old, her mother was murdered and her father taken from her to serve the Empire. But despite the loss of her parents she is not completely alone—Saw Gerrera, a man willing to go to any extremes necessary in order to resist Imperial tyranny, takes her in as his own, and gives her not only a home but all the abilities and resources she needs to become a rebel herself.

Jyn dedicates herself to the cause—and the man. But fighting alongside Saw and his people brings with it danger and the question of just how far Jyn is willing to go as one of Saw's soldiers. When she faces an unthinkable betrayal that shatters her world, Jyn will have to pull the pieces of herself back together and figure out what she truly believes in...and who she can really trust.

Out on the 2nd May. There's an excerpt at the link.

shingi70

Banned
Why are you reading Star Wars novels in 2017? Get the audiobook and treat yourself well.

I'm planning on listening to ashoka. I did enjoying listening too new dawn.

One thing that sucks about EA holding the star wars license is that it rules out a Star Wars fighting game.

We're also getting:

But, it's a middle grade book.

Guardians of the Whills, a middle-grade novel written by New York Times Bestselling author and Eisner-winner Greg Rucka, follows Chirrut and Baze after the Empire's takeover of Jedha and the arrival of Saw Gerrera. As protectors of the Kyber Temple on Jedha, Baze and Chirrut are windows into a new element of Star Wars lore, and Guardians of the Whills looks to tell a major part of their story. StarWars.com is excited to reveal the kinetic, comic-book style cover and official description below.

Baze and Chirrut used to be Guardians of the Whills, who looked after the Kyber Temple on Jedha and all those who worshipped there. Then the Empire came and took over the planet. The temple was destroyed and the people scattered. Now Baze and Chirrut do what they can to resist the Empire and protect the people of Jedha, but it never seems to be enough. When a man named Saw Gerrera arrives with grand plans to take down the Empire, it seems like the perfect way for Baze and Chirrut to make a real difference and help the people of Jedha. But will it come at too great a cost?

Is bloodlines any good? I want to do a audible book right now and want to pick a Star Wars book. Bloodlines seems the most interesting from a lore prospective given the current trilogy.

shingi70

Banned
Is bloodlines any good? I want to do a audible book right now and want to pick a Star Wars book. Bloodlines seems the most interesting from a lore prospective given the current trilogy.

It's either the the best or second best Star Wars book depending on how you feel about lost stars.

Absolutely. One of the best books they've released since the canon reboot.

Wow, I didn't know "Mace Windu" and "Padawan" were among the original ideas.

Don't you mean Mace Windy? That would have been an entirely different story.

sphagnum

Banned
Wow, I didn't know "Mace Windu" and "Padawan" were among the original ideas.

People seem to know about the original story synopsis and the first draft, but I rarely see people bring up the original Journal of the Whills, the very first thing George wrote in 1973. Wookieepedia summarizes thus:

The outline begins: "This is the story of Mace Windy, a revered Jedi-bendu of Ophuchi, as related to us by C.J. Thorpe, padawaan learner to the famed Jedi." Thorpe, called either C.J. or C.2. (it switches back and forth in the document) actually stands for "Chuiee Two Thorpe of Kissel. My father is Han Dardell Thorpe, chief pilot of the renown galactic cruiser Tarnack."

When Chuiee reaches sixteen years of age, he enters the Intersystems Academy to train as a potential Jedi-Templer. There he becomes padawaan learner to Mace Windy, a Warlord to the Chairman of the Alliance of Independent Systems. Windy becomes the victim of a court conspiracy: those who fear that Windy is more powerful than the Imperial leader of the Galactic Empire, some of those being his own comrades, arrange for his replacement and expulsion from the royal forces. Though Windy has been dismissed, Chuiee begs to stay on in his service.

This leads to the even-more-fragmentary story of Journal of the Whills, Part II. After four years, Windy and Chuiee have their greatest adventure. They guard a shipment of fusion portables to Yavin, where they are summoned to the desolate planet Yoshiro by a mysterious courier sent by the Alliance Chairman himself. The narrative drops off at this point.

People seem to know about the original story synopsis and the first draft, but I rarely see people bring up the original Journal of the Whills, the very first thing George wrote in 1973. Wookieepedia summarizes thus:

You know, I'm kind of wondering if George always spells will with an h. Jedi-"templer?"

There's a brief interview with Rian on The Last Jedi from Empire.

How are things going on Episode VIII?

Great! We’re in the thick of editing, really digging into it. It’s taking shape and I’m very excited.

What is the hardest thing about writing Star Wars dialogue?

I found myself constantly wanting to push modern idioms into the dialogue, and sometimes that can work, but you have to be very careful. If you go too far you can break that Star Wars spell. The other challenge is the tech talk, which has to be simultaneously complex enough to sound real and conceptually simple enough to follow. The original films were brilliant at that.

What surprised you most about directing a Star Wars film?

I guess the biggest surprise was the intimacy of the process. It’s huge, sure, and it’s filled with pressures great and small. But at the end of the day, it boils down to the same things as the smaller films we’ve made: telling a story we care about with a camera and some actors. And a Wookiee.

It's either the the best or second best Star Wars book depending on how you feel about lost stars.
Absolutely. One of the best books they've released since the canon reboot.

Thank you so much you guys. I really want a good canon book that would maybe hint at things to come. Where as im a little burned out on the old trilogy stuff. I think im going to do Bloodlines.

What els is good out there?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm in the minority, but I found Bloodlines a tad too plodding in sections.

I also just finally got my ass in reading gear and finished Catalyst. It was OK, but I felt it started out reaaaallyyy slow.

I think my top 3 would be Lost Stars, Battlefront, and the 2nd Aftermath book.

Top Bottom