• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

Weird how they're forcing MSAA use as in a game like this it'll have quite a big performance penalty especially since they've already got FXAA running.

TheExodu5

Banned
uhm. poke yourself in the eyes then or borrow someone elses glasses who has a different prescription or squint or run it at a none native resolution on your computer or actually smear the screen with vaseline.

it isn't just the blur either:

Mill-360.jpg

Mill-PC.jpg

i don't know if it's due to better MSAA, FXAA, or better SSAO, but the chain link fence on the right looks really weird on the 360 version and much better on the PC version. trees look fuller. also you can clearly see more detail in the shadows (compare the shadows on the train car on the left).

Those screenshots are likely rendered at a higher resolution than 1440x810, which effectively makes those screenshots supersampled.

Those screenshots are likely rendered at a higher resolution than 1440x810, which effectively makes those screenshots supersampled.

the PC ones, yes. the 360 ones are blown up. still, mixing AA standards makes for some super clean looking graphics. Sam 3 lets you use 3 different kinds of AA at once for example. with MSAA and FXAA it looks bloody clean.

a fairer comparison would be 1080p native on PC vs 360 version blown up to 1080p (if you can capture a shot using a 1080p capture card on 360 even better).

i think that'd probably favour the PC version even more to be honest... and Alan Wake blown up to 1080p on 360 was how i experienced it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I got banned by Amir0x in the Xbox 360 thread for Alan Wake for saying that the game was a blurry mess and shameful for running at sub-720p.

Sweet vindication!

When it uses a lot of light effects in a dark environment it actually looks quite nice.

the daylight sections look absolutely awful though. Jaggies so sharp they would cut your leg off if you misjudged your step.

grkazan12

Sorry if it's slightly off topic from performance, but I was considering getting the retail boxed copy the only problem is that I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know what store their on and if they're unlock-able on steam?

Mr_Zombie

Sorry if it's slightly off topic from performance, but I was considering getting the retail boxed copy the only problem is that I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know what store their on and if they're unlock-able on steam?

The physical copy won't be out until 2 March.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

It's a steamworks game so it will be unlockable on Steam no matter where or how you buy it.

I can't actually find a boxed copy on any US sites. Amazon UK have it so it must exist.

When it uses a lot of light effects in a dark environment it actually looks quite nice.

the daylight sections look absolutely awful though. Jaggies so sharp they would cut your leg off if you misjudged your step.

jaggies? i don't think so. AW on 360 had terrible IQ, and some really low res textures in places. shadow aliasing perhaps, but the game had 4xMSAA.

to everyone saying this should be super cheap, remember that you're getting the two add ons included in this also. right now on the marketplace, just the add ons would set you back $14, and the full game is currently $30 (without them).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
jaggies? i don't think so. AW on 360 had terrible IQ, and some really low res textures in places. shadow aliasing perhaps, but the game had 4xMSAA.

admittedly it's been a while since I played it but I remember running around a car park near the start of the game and it looked awful.

admittedly it's been a while since I played it but I remember running around a car park near the start of the game and it looked awful.

oh, the IQ was awful, but you don't really see jaggies. check the 360 shots in the comparisons linked in the OP.

edit: i mean, the comparisons in post #24.

derFeef

Jaggies were a non-issue for Alan Wake, which made it really much more bearable in hindsight. The PCGH link in the OP has some non-downsampled 2560 screenshots with maxed settings, if you guys wonder.

Angry Fork

How do you guys think a Radeon HD 5770 will do? I have good ram/CPU but I'm afraid my vid card will limit me, I really hope not. I can run most games on high/max except really new ones like Battlefield 3 which I could only get 60fps on medium. 1080p resolution though I refuse to play in less res than that.

I got banned by Amir0x in the Xbox 360 thread for Alan Wake for saying that the game was a blurry mess and shameful for running at sub-720p.

Sweet vindication!

You sure it was by amirox? I"m surprised, he's known for being a graphics/PC whore (a good thing imo, not insulting), and consistently shitted on Wii's visuals.

uhm. poke yourself in the eyes then or borrow someone elses glasses who has a different prescription or squint or run it at a none native resolution on your computer or actually smear the screen with vaseline.

it isn't just the blur either:

Mill-360.jpg

Mill-PC.jpg

i don't know if it's due to better MSAA, FXAA, or better SSAO, but the chain link fence on the right looks really weird on the 360 version and much better on the PC version. trees look fuller. also you can clearly see more detail in the shadows (compare the shadows on the train car on the left).

Looks amazing, except for one tiny thing... the higher resolution makes the low-poly trees in the far distance look like they're floating. In the blurry one they look more "complete." You have to view the original, large images on page 1 to even notice this.

Looks amazing, except for one tiny thing... the higher resolution makes the low-poly trees in the far distance look like they're floating. In the blurry one they look more "complete." You have to view the original, large images on page 1 to even notice this.

i wouldn't be surprised if you can see the trunks in the PC shots before they were scaled down.

DSmalls84

Just ordered one of the Alienware x 51 systems to put in my entertainment center and pc game with.

Specs are:
i-5 2320 3.0 ghz
6 gb ram
1 gb GTX 555

I shouldnt have any trouble running this right? Played on 360 but this version looks amazing.

Sweet vindication!

I got banned for similar (bullshit) reasons a while back, apparently the mods felt that my statement that '(AAA) video game development had shifted to a console focus' was rubbish.

I got banned for similar (bullshit) reasons a while back, apparently the mods felt that my statement that '(AAA) video game development had shifted to a console focus' was rubbish.

guys, let's not gripe about bannings in here. i like you both and don't want to see either of you get another time out.

let's just be nerdy nitpicking PC gamers like normal ;)

derFeef

Such discussion is still rubbish, with this here now, can we please let it go? :/

dsk1210

Jeez!! just found it hidden away on steam, had to do a search for it, they have not got it advertised very well, no pre-order either.

Cool, just glad it is actually coming out today anyway. :)

guys, let's not gripe about bannings in here. i like you both and don't want to see either of you get another time out.

let's just be nerdy nitpicking PC gamers like normal ;)

Fair enough, though such discussion does pertain to being a 'nitpicky PC gamer' and also being an interested gamer in general.

Such discussion is still rubbish, with this here now, can we please let it go? :/

Same thing applies here. I will cease the argument, but it should be completely obvious that: reflecting on the nature (and money flows) of video game development is most definitely not 'rubbish'. Especially when these matters are put forward with eloquence, and without bias.

dsk1210

Hmm will have to I don't like this bullshit translation of $30 = £25. I don't feel comfortable paying that much for it.

With the amount of effort put into version, I think they deserve at least 25 to be honest.

I know we got shafted at first, but we will now have the definitive version, and i am grateful to remedy for being able to keep the right to bring this across without microsoft.

Spookie

With the amount of effort put into version, I think they deserve at least 25 to be honest.

I know we got shafted at first, but we will now have the definitive version, and i am grateful to remedy for being able to keep the right to bring this across without microsoft.

They probably do but I am fucking broke this month. Meh. *gingerly brings out the visa*

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
pc version looks AMAZE

wish i could keep up with the pc upgrade cycle so i could run it turned up to 11 but there's always the future

hurry up and let me buy it, so i can get the download going. i want it to be ready when i get home from work (and thankfully i can start the download remotely).

I'm going to go be picking up this today and moving it up to the front of my backlog. Remedy needs to get the message that pc players will support them if they bring their games to pc. This are the guys that made Max Payne, how in the hell did they even consider not releasing this on pc from the beginning?!

I'm going to go be picking up this today and moving it up to the front of my backlog. Remedy needs to get the message that pc players will support them if they bring their games to pc. This are the guys that made Max Payne, how in the hell did they even consider not releasing this on pc from the beginning?!
Remedy said it wasn't their call to cancel Alan Wake for the pc.

PC has only recently caught up to consoles in comfy couch technology.

and PCs are only just about to catch up with consoles in having Alan Wake awesomeness ;) fortunately, the PC version is going to blow the 360 version out of the water so it's more of a ridiculously late come from behind KTFO than anything else.

Saty

By the way, American Nightmare is pretty much confirmed to be getting a PC release as well:
RPS: You say Microsoft’s ‘blessing’ and now that the blessing is in place, will we see more Remedy and Alan Wake on PC in the future?

Häkkinen: That’s a good question. Alan Wake’s American Nightmare is now coming out, also next week, on the 22nd.

RPS: That’s XBLA only though.

Häkkinen: So far it’s exclusive but based on everything I just said about how much PC gaming means to us, you can be guaranteed that we would put as much effort into bringing…well, you can read between the lines.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/16/sleep-talking-alan-wake-interview/

Top Bottom