• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainABAB

So I mounted the x64 .iso within Windows 7 and have created a 60GB VHD. Running the install from the .iso gets me to a point where it tells me I need to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials. I still haven't been asked where to install, and I don't want it to override/upgrade my existing Windows 7 install.

So do I have to uninstall MSE temporarily and ultimately I am going to be given an option to install to the VHD, or am I doing it wrong?

You cannot install it to a VHD from an ISO mounted in the current Windows.

Follow the instructions here...

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Guide...s8DeveloperPreviewOffAVHDVirtualHardDisk.aspx

dLMN8R

I tried that but I don't think it works anymore, I'm waiting for a new tweak to come out because I need my start menu back, it was too efficient to leave behind.

Can you describe exactly what you could do with the Start Menu that you can no longer do as quickly with the Start Screen? Honestly curious here.

Mr_Zombie

Anyone else have problems with apps?

Besides some apps running in German language (and I don't see an option to change the language), I can't do anything in Mail (there are only Google and Exchange icons with "verbinden" written under them), Calendar app constantly restarts, Weather app shows temperature in Fahrenheit (and I can't find any option to change that to Celcius) and Xbox Live is, apparently, unavailable here. :(

I'm also surprised there's no generic RSS app. DP had one, even though it wasn't that great.

Also, how do you put Metro apps side by side? I'm trying to drag second app but I only have an option to open it full screen. I could open two metro apps in DP (the resolution is 1280x800px).

giga

Is there a faster way to shut down or restart? This isn't cutting it:

T1NWa.png

usea

Thinking about installing this on my desktop. Does it have a classic theme like windows 7? Most importantly, the old-style taskbar (ie xp and earlier)?

Can you describe exactly what you could do with the Start Menu that you can no longer do as quickly with the Start Screen? Honestly curious here.
It had the options to log off, switch user, lock and all those options, your most recent used apps, quick links to folders, pinned programs and all those options in the lower corner of the screen, much better than opening up an entire new screen.

DagsJT

Being a Windows Phone 7 user, I really like the Metro UI feel to Windows 8. I imagine it'll be far better on touchscreens or tablets but it still feels great on a PC.

It didn't pick up my Xonar DG soundcard so I downloaded the uni drivers and they installed fine. Also had to go to Device Manager and tell it that the unknown USB device was my 360 wireless receiver but otherwise I've had no real problems.

Actually, I can't sign in to music or video due to my region (UK) so that's a shame. But I'll download Zune anyway.

I tried that but I don't think it works anymore, I'm waiting for a new tweak to come out because I need my start menu back, it was too efficient to leave behind.

What do you need it for? you can right click on the lower left menu to bring up this:

start_tip2.jpg

And if you need to open an app just hit start on your keyboard and type to search and run it just like you currently do in windows 7

It had the options to log off, switch user, lock and all those options, your most recent used apps, quick links to folders, pinned programs and all those options in the lower corner of the screen, much better than opening up an entire new screen.

ctl+alt+del should probably bring up log off, switch user and lock. Not to mention win+L is a keyboard shortcut to lock.

All the efficiency features there were dropped with removing the start menu can be done just as efficiently using alternate methods.

Swag

After using the OS a bit, I've found that the Metro Font is fucken ugly. Especially in the messaging client. However it's pretty cool being able to see all the social media integration they've done at the OS level

giga

Windows key+I I think.
Thanks, this works. Is there a way to directly bring this up with the mouse other than going through the charms bar?

Moving the mouse cursor all the way to the top right to bring up charms and then back down again to click settings is slow.

kehs

Banned

You can still access all those things with the same or less amounts of clicks/steps.

Sweet, downloading now at a pretty decent pace. Reading the Engadget preview...

gEBtE.jpg

Ugh, I really, really hope they do something about Aero before release.

t-ramp

Sweet, downloading now at a pretty decent pace. Reading the Engadget preview...

gEBtE.jpg

Ugh, I really, really hope they do something about Aero before release.
What's wrong with it?

Or do you mean Metro? I think Aero refers to the transparency and animations from Vista onward.

What do you need it for? you can right click on the lower left menu to bring up this:

start_tip2.jpg

And if you need to open an app just hit start on your keyboard and type to search and run it just like you currently do in windows 7

ctl+alt+del should probably bring up log off, switch user and lock. Not to mention win+L is a keyboard shortcut to lock.

All the efficiency features there were dropped with removing the start menu can be done just as efficiently using alternate methods.

But now instead of having everything in one small place in the corner, there needs to be keyboard shortcuts to do as much.
You can still access all those things with the same or less amounts of clicks/steps.

I haven't found a way to switch user or all those other options in two clicks.

Mr_Zombie

Ok, continuing my previous post about problems with apps:
- People app is just a white screen - nothing happens, nothing loads;
- Message app - can't connect to Facebook (clicking on the icon does nothing)

Am I the only one with those problems? It seems that almost none Windows app work properly :/

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Am I the only one with those problems? It seems that almost none Windows app work properly :/
no you are not the only one. they are buggy

What's wrong with it?

Or do you mean Metro? I think Aero refers to the transparency and animations from Vista onward.

Aero. The Desktop looks terrible compared to how Metro-themed everything else is. The least they could do is get rid of the glass effect (which I guess you would do with Aero Basic) and change the colour theme to match the rest of the OS.

dLMN8R

So basically you liked the Start Menu because it combined a ton of completely unrelated stuff into a jumbled, nonsensical way that only makes sense cause it's been that way for the last two decades?

Aero. The Desktop looks terrible compared to how Metro-themed everything else is. The least they could do is get rid of the glass effect (which I guess you would do with Aero Basic) and change the colour theme to match the rest of the OS.

I hope they do work on everything looking like it came from the same OS before release.
So basically you liked the Start Menu because it combined a ton of completely unrelated stuff into a jumbled, nonsensical way that only makes sense cause it's been that way for the last two decades?

No, it made sense to me having commonly used tasks in one place. I don't see why it had to be taken away.

t-ramp

Oh. I guess I don't mind it, but the Metro UI and the standard desktop are definitely two distinct environments. It probably depends on what device one is using as to which is used more, but I do see how it's kind of a contrast even when I'm only using Metro as a Start Menu. Personally I like the glassy look better, if I had to choose. I'm not a big fan of the Metro design.

DagsJT

Just installed Origin, closed it and now I can't find it again. Searching in Start doesn't seem to bring it up either.

Edit: Had to find the exe, right click and pin it to Start.

dLMN8R

No, it made sense to me having commonly used tasks in one place. I don't see why it had to be taken away.

The Start Screen has all your commonly used stuff, and you can fully configure it to your heart's content.

The only difference is moving shut-down UI to the charms bar, which makes it easily accessible from anywhere, rather than forcing you to be on the Desktop where a hypothetical start menu would reside.

Windu

after you use it for about 30 minutes it will become second nature on a lot of the stuff. Since its so different there is a adjustment period you have to go through.
The Start Screen has all your commonly used stuff, and you can fully configure it to your heart's content.

The only difference is moving shut-down UI to the charms bar, which makes it easily accessible from anywhere, rather than forcing you to be on the Desktop where a hypothetical start menu would reside.
Click start to shutdown made perfect sense! ....lol

Just installed Origin, closed it and now I can't find it again. Searching in Start doesn't seem to bring it up either.

Edit: Had to find the exe, right click and pin it to Start.
if you right click the start screen you can bring up the all application page.

okenny

Banned

Can't you do this yourself in Display Preferences or did they remove the ability to customize your desktop theme?

t-ramp

after you use it for about 30 minutes it will become second nature on a lot of the stuff. Since its so different there is a adjustment period you have to go through.
It's kind of funny that the Gadget Platform is still there in the same form as in 7.

Can't you do this yourself in Display Preferences or did they remove the ability to customize your desktop theme?
Yeah, you can. It doesn't Metrofy it, though, if that's your aim.

maeh2k

Read on twitter (Charlie Kindel afair) that someone had a problem where none of the apps that used an account worked right. He did a Windows update and the problems went away

Where it takes up the entire screen, instead of being in the corner. The shut down options in the charms bar doesn't have all the options like log off, switch user and lock, and it doesn't seem customizable either, where you can have the specific option you want on the button and the rest under the arrow.

Windu

so what is the best game in the store? all i have played is solitare (but with my xbox live id which is cool, wonder if there will be achievements)
My computer is saying it is March 1st for some reason? I have the right time zone selected.
your computer is from the future.

try syncing the clock with the internet.

DagsJT

Can't play FIFA 12, just crashes out saying fifaconfig has stopped working. If I can get into the game a little quicker, I get the loading screen but then it just crashes out.

Meh, I dunno. It's nice and all, I kinda feel at home with it but it just seems a bit too fiddly. Maybe it's something you need to adjust to but it feels like too many clicks to get around to some things.

Probably going to reinstall Windows 7 I reckon, maybe come back to this a bit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom