• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

VanWinkle

I NEVER thought I'd be using something other than Chrome, but man, I love the Samsung browser. Only thing that annoys me is that it doesn't have the pull down to refresh thing.

Picked up the Galaxy Pack app too and damn... some of them are a bit too over the top but some are sooooo nice. Never been a fan of live wallpapers either.

Currently using Hellfire. Background stars. Galaxy core off.

yeah some of them are way too busy but the one I picked, blue lagoon or w/e it's called, it's perfect

NeOak

Back to the S-Folio case. Both times I've dropped the phone have been due to the Belt Clip of the Otterbox.

$99 VR Bundle shipped and I will get it on Tuesday. Is it good to watch videos with it?

NeOak

Speedtest has 69.89 MBPS.

My mind is blown.

Phone can do much more with the right network capabilities

gigabit-lte-galaxy.jpg

sun-drop

The assistant does a lot right but there is still a lot of features still missing. Including that one.

Bummer ..found that aspect of now on tap really useful for the odd time where I was t able to simply select text in whatever interface or website I had on screen.

wrongway

Got my S8 a few days ago and been loving it so far. Looks great, feels great, runs great. One hell of an upgrade from my trusty ol' iPhone 5 -- it's such a leap it's like going from plastic flip phone to smartphone all over again.

Question about wireless charging though. Are these charge pads supposed to alternate between charging and not charging every few minutes? Or is the little cheapy one I got to try (Aukey model LC-C2) just junk? I thought at first that this behavior was a temperature failsafe, since the first time I used the pad was also when I was working hte phone the hardest (initial file transfers + downloads). But it's still doing it when the phone's idle, and both units barely rise above room temp before charging stops. Tried multiple adapters and USB cables, and have played with positioning a bunch too.

That animated galaxy wallpaper is fuckin awesome :D

sun-drop

The separate app sound feature is fucking awesome, shame it's hidden so far down in the audio settings.

Got Spotify playing on a Bluetooth speaker in
the kitchen while nfl gamepass is playing on my phone

NeOak

Got my S8 a few days ago and been loving it so far. Looks great, feels great, runs great. One hell of an upgrade from my trusty ol' iPhone 5 -- it's such a leap it's like going from plastic flip phone to smartphone all over again.

Question about wireless charging though. Are these charge pads supposed to alternate between charging and not charging every few minutes? Or is the little cheapy one I got to try (Aukey model LC-C2) just junk? I thought at first that this behavior was a temperature failsafe, since the first time I used the pad was also when I was working hte phone the hardest (initial file transfers + downloads). But it's still doing it when the phone's idle, and both units barely rise above room temp before charging stops. Tried multiple adapters and USB cables, and have played with positioning a bunch too.

That animated galaxy wallpaper is fuckin awesome :D

Yeah, the charger is junk.

kirblar

Is there a free animated wallpaper that you guys are talking about? (I might not be able to see the image if there's one due to where I'm at.)

The Llama

I have 2 Quickcharge 2.0 chargers I used with my previous phone. Is it worth it to buy new Quickcharge 4.0 ones? They seem to charge fast enough, but if it'll half the time it takes to charge my phone maybe I'll upgrade. I suspect the answer is it would cut the charging time from, say, 60 minutes to 55, however...

NeOak

I have 2 Quickcharge 2.0 chargers I used with my previous phone. Is it worth it to buy new Quickcharge 4.0 ones? They seem to charge fast enough, but if it'll half the time it takes to charge my phone maybe I'll upgrade. I suspect the answer is it would cut the charging time from, say, 60 minutes to 55, however...

No, The S8 is QC 2.0 compatible, so there won't be a benefit from changing them.

Also, charging speed slows down once the battery hits 80% anyway.

Man, I love the adaptive fast charging USB-C on this, but I always feel stranded when I need a charge and don't have my wire with me. Older USB plugs are still waaaay more standard and ubiquitous. :/

Jeffrey

weird the stock weather app isn't an actual app?

only a widget?

shame. the app is pretty slick, but you have to use stock launcher to even access it?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
weird the stock weather app isn't an actual app?

only a widget?

shame. the app is pretty slick, but you have to use stock launcher to even access it?

Weather underground's app in dark theme is pretty good. Especially now that I have an S8 and it opens in a second. I think S5 took 5-8 seconds.

wrongway

What do you guys like for network file explorer apps? When I had a little android tablet years ago I had ES File Explorer, but it looks like it's gotten kinda bloated.

cilonen

What do you guys like for network file explorer apps? When I had a little android tablet years ago I had ES File Explorer, but it looks like it's gotten kinda bloated.

I'm using Solid Explorer. It took me a little while to figure out how to move files around but it's great now that I have it all sorted.

Hex

Banned
My mom's card was declined after trying to order one, and she got a text from her bank or whatever that the reason was because of fraud protection.

Any time the bank sees a pull of .01 or even a random .49 or something it will check with you.
That is what many people use to test cards they steal or they will put a bunch of small sub dollar amounts.

Ultryx

Is this amount of battery drain from the Google App normal? Haven't noticed it before today.

I don't think so. In fact, Android has been so efficient at managing background activity that my reports don't even show any apps taking even 1% of battery.

No Love

Banned
I forgot about Lightning Browser's AMOLED setting. Check it out if you want true all blacked out browsing and maximum battery life.

Top Bottom