• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 34: Game Changers |OT| We Have To Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best season of Australian Survivor & Amazing Race if one was looking to give both a single shot?

The 2016 season of Australian Survivor is essentially a reboot, as it hadn't aired in over a decade, and its original two seasons aren't supposed to be any good or represent the format well. Depending on where you look, it may be called season 3 or season 1.

As for Amazing Race, I'm a big fan but don't really prefer one season over another. It all blends together for me
except for that awful family season.
It's always exciting, like with this season of Survivor, seeing returning teams play again. I think the show got better in the teen seasons and especially in its jump to HD because it shows off the world beautifully. The recent seasons, 27 and 28, have been pretty entertaining but I don't analyze the show like I do with Survivor. There's one team I really liked in 27 so I could easily recommend that.

Australian Survivor only has one season.

The 2016 season of Australian Survivor is essentially a reboot, as it hadn't aired in over a decade, and its original two seasons aren't supposed to be any good or represent the format well. Depending on where you look, it may be called season 3 or season 1.

As for Amazing Race, I'm a big fan but don't really prefer one season over another. It all blends together for me
except for that awful family season.
It's always exciting, like with this season of Survivor, seeing returning teams play again. I think the show got better in the teen seasons and especially in its jump to HD because it shows off the world beautifully. The recent seasons, 27 and 28, have been pretty entertaining but I don't analyze the show like I do with Survivor. There's one team I really liked in 27 so I could easily recommend that.

Thanks

Sorry for Amazing Race I meant Australian/Canadian or whatever other International versions are going.
I have seen almost every US season all the way through, only ones I haven't finished are ones that's key episode recordings were messed up by NFL in the old Sunday slot.

UberTag

Pretty damn excited about this - snuck up on me. I've gotten back into survivor the last 3-4 seasons with my girlfriend. Every season we pick 5 players and do a pool, counting points by episode.
Dude, don't share your entire scoring system with us and leave us hanging on which of the Season 34 castaways you and your girlfriend have each selected.

Sandra would be the first one gone in my tribe. No way am I letting her get any traction in the game.
Nothing would make me happier tomorrow night than to see the Mana tribe go to two tribal councils and for Sandra to survive both without a single vote against her.

Nothing would make me happier tomorrow night than to see the Mana tribe go to two tribal councils and for Sandra to survive both without a single vote against her.

But that would mean Tony, and possibly Varner or Malcolm get voted out. Survivor already has its queen, now we need King TV atop that two time throne.

UberTag

But that would mean Tony, and possibly Varner or Malcolm get voted out. Survivor already has its queen, now we need King TV atop that two time throne.
If Varner comes out playing the same way he did in Second Chances, he deserves to get voted out early.

spyder_ur

Dude, don't share your entire scoring system with us and leave us hanging on which of the Season 34 castaways you and your girlfriend have each selected.

We pick after the first episode. I know she wants Michaela. Honestly I have no idea who I'm liking for this season.

Sandra would be the first one gone in my tribe. No way am I letting her get any traction in the game.

I've always been in the mindset that in a game with more than one or two big targets you have to take out the floaters or the dead weight first. If I was any of Tony, Sandra, JT, Sirie, or even Sierra, Malcom and a few others, I would want to band together early on rather than waste the time targeting each other so early.

I always think someone like Hali will win seasons like this for that exact reason.

So, I need to lock in my final fantasy (hah) roster. I linked the site in the OP (tribal-council.com)

This is the maximum number of players I can pick. Any thoughts? Keep in mind I'm not necessarilly picking my favorites, but people who I think have the potential to go far or at least earn me points along the way (finding idols, being on tribes that are winning challenges, etc.)

Wp27LoN.png

Jeff Varner is the only one I recognize. I'll be rooting for him!

(girlfriend recently got me back into this show. Stopped watching after Rupert's season. Just recently rewatched S1-S3. So good)

coy

Australian Survivor was SO GOOD! Great contestants and I like the winner's story. LaPaglia was great as the host, pretty much perfectly copying everything Probst does. Who was your favorite, and why was it Nick? :)

Nick was such a treat! It's either him or Brooke. When Nick was on RHAP for the finale, I was excited as I knew he'd fit well and bring real good insight about the season.

Australian Survivor was great. The final challenge was basically a movie - they really couldn't ask for more there. The pacing (24 eps?) and level of survival events (storms, starving, etc) really helped too. To be perfectly honest CBS could buy the rights and air this as a season of regular Survivor, and the only thing you'd say is missing is Probst. The quality level is bang-on. Pretty much recommend Aus Survivor and Society Game to anyone desperate for more Survivor seasons.

Society Game you say? I'll look into it. And that final challenge was astonishingly shot and felt truly epic.

Nick is a hypocritical ass.

I think that's part of what makes him so great. I like characters like him, Savage, Varner, even Rodney. They're not great at the game, but they play their hardest with their heart on their sleeve, and often contradict themselves along the way. I'd always prefer a player like that who really tried to make big moves, win challenges, etc. over an UTR player who, yes, played the game in a way the could allow them to win but makes for less entertaining TV.

Rooting for Sandra to become three-time-Queen!

I don't see how that's even possible. There will literally be players strategizing from the get-go to ally with her just to blindside her later on and have that as a bullet point in the final tribal council. She'll have to have the computational powers of a NASA computer to make it to final five.

Ganhyun

I don't see how that's even possible. There will literally be players strategizing from the get-go to ally with her just to blindside her later on and have that as a bullet point in the final tribal council. She'll have to have the computational powers of a NASA computer to make it to final five.

Or the luck Mike had in winning challenges his season.

UberTag

I've always been in the mindset that in a game with more than one or two big targets you have to take out the floaters or the dead weight first. If I was any of Tony, Sandra, JT, Sirie, or even Sierra, Malcom and a few others, I would want to band together early on rather than waste the time targeting each other so early.

I always think someone like Hali will win seasons like this for that exact reason.
Your logic is sound... and would be the way to go if the winners were all together on a single tribe as originally drawn up for this season. Sadly, they've been split up making them instant targets for either tribe - especially when other noteworthy players like Ozzy will be needed initially for challenge prowess.

Sandra's lucky she has Tony around as a shield. Especially with their tribe largely consisting of beta males, guys with no gameplay whatsoever, a strategic threat like Aubry and possible early-game overplays from Ciera and Varner.

JT got royally screwed being placed on a tribe with Cirie after his double-cross in Heroes vs. Villains sent her packing way early compared with her previous two Survivor stints. They could square that away with some early challenge wins plus Debbie and Tai seem likely to be served up as easy first boots due to their age... and their Kaoh Rong ties to Aubry and Caleb in a possible merge/swap scenario. Debbie's more of a loyal soldier in the Phillip Sheppard mold provided you placate her ego so Tai seems like the better first out.

All things considered, it definitely seems like smooth sailing for a lot of the floaters/dead weight from previous seasons given the more prevalent distractions.

So, I need to lock in my final fantasy (hah) roster. I linked the site in the OP (tribal-council.com)

This is the maximum number of players I can pick. Any thoughts? Keep in mind I'm not necessarilly picking my favorites, but people who I think have the potential to go far or at least earn me points along the way (finding idols, being on tribes that are winning challenges, etc.)

Wp27LoN.png
I like the call to avoid previous winners. Which 5 of these 8 do you plan to field in your starting lineup tonight?

ironmang

This fantasy thing is pretty sweet. Wish I signed up earlier so I could really think about some of my choices. Pretty heavy on MANA tribe with 6/8 of my picks lol.

Team:
Jeff
Tony
Caleb
Hali
Michaela
Aubry
Zeke
Tai

Might last minute audible Malcolm in there over someone. Probably Tony since being that aggressive and a winner doesn't give me much hope this time.

I like the call to avoid previous winners. Which 5 of these 8 do you plan to field in your starting lineup tonight?

Thanks! I'm starting: Malcolm, Ozzy, Cirie, Michaela, and Ciera.

Almost started Varner but I think he'll play it quiet this episode if he's smart.

UberTag

Just finished watching the season preview episode courtesy of ET Canada.
Holy hell is this one amazing tribal council set this year. Might be the highlight of the entire 2-hour episode.

UberTag

Nice grab of the advantage by Sierra.
Nuku scoring big time right out of the gates with the advantage, the toolkit and the chickens.
Mana tribe coming up empty.

UberTag

lol 10 year delayed revenge
I was so focused on Cirie getting revenge on JT, I completely overlooked the possibility of Ozzy getting revenge on Cirie. The star players on that tribe aren't going to last long with these long-term grudges brewing. That bodes well for folks like Sierra who are working the early social game hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom