• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

BurntPork

Banned
The placement of everything is much better, and the controller also just looks aesthetically better. Definitely not "Fisher-Price."

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nice lap controller. No way that's ergonomic for my hands alone.
Yeah, I'm concerned about the weight. It looks awkward to hold / leverage. But Nintendo has really prioritized controller comfort in the past, so I'm not too worried.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
White Sticks = It's gonna turn yellowish/brownish after a group of people have their way with it.

Just like my nunchuck stick :(

Do you snack while you game? Use a spoon. That's gross man, never had that happen to me.
I enjoy games with soda, and some warm cooked meal. Chips and shit are for movies.

The worst is Cheetos.

Fredrik

Is this for real?! They actually listen to all the complaints. They even moved the XYAB buttons slightly to the left and not directly below the analog. But now I'm worried that we'll get capacitive screen... It's nice to touch but I still want that resistive precision :/

KillGore

I wish the sticks were concave though. I felt that the Wii's analog stick was a bit too slippery? I don't know, at least compared to the 360 and PS3 controllers.

Yeah, I'm concerned about the weight. It looks awkward to hold / leverage. But Nintendo has really prioritized controller comfort in the past, so I'm not too worried.

All of the E3 impressions about the controller said that it was extremely comfortable.

kami_sama

I don't have links, but EVERY person who has tried it says the same. It very comfortable and light.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks better but I'm still not sure about face buttons being under the right stick. That's going to take some serious getting used to.

YES. Those Analog sticks. That adjusted position of the face buttons to be closer to the screen. That movement of the start and select buttons to be easier to hit. Thank you based Nintendo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
All of the E3 impressions about the controller said that it was extremely comfortable.
Yeah, I remember that. But I see the pics, and my brain thinks "uncomfortable". It also thinks "awesome" and "want", though.

Somnid

Not enough speculation on that square beneath the d-pad. My conservative guess says it's the NFC contact point but it's certainly odd.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Now will people stop pretending they like the sliders?

So true, I have called these people out before, they know who they are. Let us hope the 3DS revision will have analog sticks and a concave pattern or 'impression' for the analog sticks where the speakers go.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Looks better but I'm still not sure about face buttons being under the right stick. That's going to take some serious getting used to.
Yeah! Seriously. I can't believe so few people are voicing concern about this. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but... I don't really want to. I wish they'd just swap the placement. Maybe that'd make the controller less comfortable to hold, though?

totowhoa

Banned
Seriously, they either changed the size of the screen or the controller itself is wider.

It's wider. See how much space there is between the d-pad and the edges in both pics? I think that might be what's making the sticks look like they're closer to the edge for some... I personally think it looks about the same distance in both.

You can see this on the other side with the ABXY buttons as well, and you hardly need to account for the foreshortening to see it.

Sticks have been moved outward. That's the first thing I noticed.

A few Wii U threads ago Shiggy posted pics that showed the original concept and the E3 concept. Looks like the original won.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35468866&postcount=10922

1hwxx0.jpg

J-Rock

Banned
Happy to see this. Also nice that I don't have to change my hand position while playing to press the start or select buttons.

Somnid

I still don't see the problem with them myself.
I like the 3DS slider.

I think people are soured by PSP or something. There's nothing wrong with 3DS slidepad, in fact a large thick one would probably be more precise than and analog stick because it's moved in a flat plane rather than an awkward curved one. The really benefit I see for sticks is click-ability which is more overused than it is appropriately used.

Top Bottom