• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Target team up for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe marketing:

Mario-header-3.jpg

I just found this on Twitter via @VGartandtidbits, link to the Tweet:

https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/855433575516319750

Update - Official PR:

April 20, 2017
Wa-hoo! Mario Kart 8 for Nintendo Switch launches April 28, and we're juuuust a little excited. While our fave mustachioed plumbers gear up, we're over here dodging banana peels and flying turtle shells, and racing red carts up and down the aisles to bring you some extra-special fun—only at Target. Starting today, 650+ stores across the country are going into full game-on mode, with larger-than-life Mario action.

Target has been guests' go-to Nintendo destination for 30+ years. From scooping up the 1985 original NES to scoping out this spring's highly-coveted Nintendo Switch, Target is often fans' first stop before hitting start on a gaming adventure. So, we're out to make the shopping experience just as fun!

”Experience counts—it's what keeps guests coming in and coming back to our stores," says Scott Nygaard, senior vice president, Merchandising, Target. ”So we're delivering the fun like only Target can, giving generations of Mario fans a shopping trip they won't soon forget."

Want a peek at what's in-store? Hold on tight—let's-a-go!

Here's a link to the full article with more details. Didn't want to copy/paste the full thing.

Ok... This is damn cool -

Starting-line-2.jpg

Here we go...
Walking through Target doors always brings a little rush, but this time you're crossing a starting line! As you walk through, motion sensors fire up flashing lights and play Mario's catchy theme song.

LordKano

https://corporate.target.com/article/2017/04/mario-kart#sf53851471
Props to Burdmayn for finding this one.
April 20, 2017
Wa-hoo! Mario Kart 8 for Nintendo Switch launches April 28, and we’re juuuust a little excited. While our fave mustachioed plumbers gear up, we’re over here dodging banana peels and flying turtle shells, and racing red carts up and down the aisles to bring you some extra-special fun—only at Target. Starting today, 650+ stores across the country are going into full game-on mode, with larger-than-life Mario action.

Target has been guests’ go-to Nintendo destination for 30+ years. From scooping up the 1985 original NES to scoping out this spring’s highly-coveted Nintendo Switch, Target is often fans’ first stop before hitting start on a gaming adventure. So, we’re out to make the shopping experience just as fun!

“Experience counts—it’s what keeps guests coming in and coming back to our stores,” says Scott Nygaard, senior vice president, Merchandising, Target. “So we’re delivering the fun like only Target can, giving generations of Mario fans a shopping trip they won’t soon forget.”

Want a peek at what’s in-store? Hold on tight—let’s-a-go!
Bollards.jpg

It's a-me, Mario
The fun begins just outside the entrance. Those big red bollards (designed to stop stray cars) are transformed, with Mario and Luigi themselves welcoming you to the store. Bonus fact: This isn’t the first time the bollards have had a makeover—In 2011, we painted beach balls as part of a summer campaign, and last year we created Pokémon balls.)

Starting-line-2.jpg

Here we go…
Walking through Target doors always brings a little rush, but this time you’re crossing a starting line! As you walk through, motion sensors fire up flashing lights and play Mario’s catchy theme song.

carts.jpg

So long, Bowser
Always dreamed of driving a real-life Mario kart? Here’s your chance, sort of! We’ve decked out a handful of “Super Target Karts,” featuring Mario, Luigi and Princess Peach. So go ahead, leave Bowser in the dust as you do your Target run—and keep your eyes peeled, because we have an assortment of Mario and Nintendo-related products set around the store. Bonus fact: This is the first time Target’s ever decorated our carts.

Want to get in on the in-store fun? Hurry in to Target in the next few weeks before it’s game over on this limited-time experience. And be sure to visit Target.com to pre-order your copy of Mario Kart 8 for Nintendo Switch.

One final bonus fact: If you’re still trying to get your hands on Nintendo Switch, keep checking your local Target store! We’re working hard with Nintendo to keep these crazy-popular consoles flowing in to Target stores throughout the year.

Throw me a green shell if old.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It appears Nintendo is going all out with MK8. Hope they have upped supply for the next few weeks.

True Fire

Is it just me, or is MK8D getting more fanfare than MK8?

Has NeoGAF discussed the possibility of Deluxe outselling the original yet?

This game is going to do crazy numbers in terms of lifetime sales.

Switch is posed to sell very well despite what naysayers on CAF have said imho.

It's pretty much a given considering the switch will pass Wii U numbers no problem.

Good promotion. Hopefully they've manufactured enough for it.
Hope Nintendo keeps up with their marketing. Feels like quite a while since there's been good promotion for their console games.

OnPoint

Haha I kinda like this. But really I hope we get security cam vids of people power sliding around corners and into displays.

Huh. So that's why I'm seeing the Mario and Luigi covers for the red balls! I'm actually outside Target right now! Guess I'll go take a look!

NateDrake

ToysR'Us had a pretty nice Mario Kart 8 Deluxe display a couple of weeks back, but Target is lapping them with this promo.

We need a new Polygon chart. Switch has the lowest install-base of any Nintendo hardware to get a Mario Kart, thus it will be the lowest selling Mario Kart game. /s

random25

MK8 had a ton of promotion back then too. It won't have a ridiculous attach rate to the Wii U if it wasn't marketed heavily.

And the closer we get to the release, the more people believe it's gonna overtake the original when all is said and done.

thats neat. im expecting people to post videos racing around the store or parking lots throwing banana peels and balls at eachother

Can a mod lock this thread please? I didn't realize that LordKano made the same thread a few minutes prior. Let's keep the conversation in one place.

Man that's huge, I actually have no idea how much Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will sell. I'm always astonished when people tell me the Wii U version sold 8 million copies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I dont think it'll outsell MK8U's opening weekend but it will come close

I am actually thinking it will. Looking at Zelda's attach rate (over 100% lol), the hype currently surrounding the Switch, and that the rumors point to a massive Switch restock around the 28th..

With CURRENT consoles it would need to hit a 50% attach rate, which seems high, but again given the current hype and the relatively small amount of available titles, it isn't unheard of. And I'm willing to bet that with consoles sold from the Apr 18 restock, it will be well above 50% attach rate.

It will have to sell more than 1.2M in it's opening weekend.

I think you were like a sec earlier than me. 'cuz I refreshed just before posting and there was nothing, heh.

All is good! I put out a request for a mod to lock my thread. I'd rather keep the convo in one place! Holy crap do I love that they play Mario music at the entrance!

Edit: Looks like the threads got combined! Literally had no idea that was possible. Cool!

Nintendo going all in it seems.

I like it. It's clever - who hasn't sped along with the shopping cart at some point? - and it makes the fact that a new(-ish) Mario Kart is coming hard to miss, at least for Target shoppers.

I'm gonna bet beats the Wii U version's launch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They need more console units in stores for this to be super successful for Target. Makes me think they know they are gonna get another batch of units next week.

tkscz

Ah, the threads got merged. Man I hate being broke, was looking forward to the new battle modes.

Instro

I think MK8 marketing was a bit subdued considering the WiiU was clearly dead by the time it launched.

And yeah I think thr opinion on sales has been shifting for a little while. If you look at what Mk7 sold on the 3DS and what MK did during the Wii/DS era, there is plenty of room for it to surpass the original release due to lapsed fans and handheld only buyers.

modsbox

It's kind of cool to see Nintendo finally understand that proper marketing matters. They got lucky with the Wii, the thing was so unique and had such casual appeal it sold itself.

With the Switch they've been doing so many things right. Showing the Switch and Zelda on Fallon, clear marketing message, and then this. MK8D is going to be awesome, but everyone needs to know about it. This promo at Target means that every mom out there who shops at Target that week will be well aware of it (and have any kids they are bringing with them into the store begging for it).

Go Nintendo!

Top Bottom