• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

llehuty

I need some help guys please. Ideally without actually giving me the solution (if thats possible), just some clever hints please!

Location 1
The bunker by the sea
with the elevator and the coloured levels, the place where you learn that looking through coloured glass changes colours; I can't figure out how to get the elevation to rise right to the top, I always get stuck at the level with the broken wire.

Location 2
The Town - I've done nearly everything, but I'm stuck thus:
One of the buildings you have to open the door which has yellow glass, rules of tetris blocks from the swamp and coloured flower subdivision from the treetops - now I've done this puzzle, the door has swung open. Looking through the yellow glass in this door, the puzzle on the door to the ruined church (?) now has only 3 colours to subdivide, but I can't see a way to subdivide the 3 colours with one line. This means I can't open this door, which means I can't then use the tree branches outside to do the line for the puzzle in the church, which is the one that opens the door to the base of the tower.

Also, within this same room, down the stairs is a broken sound puzzle in a sound proof room and an adjacent puzzle with 4 red hexagons/pentagons. This would lower the blue stairs in the room above, but I can't figure it out. I assume the sound puzzle is just a straight line across as there is no sounds? The arrangement of the speaker screws etc on the floor looks like it could be a clue but I'm not sure.

I wonder if dropping these blue steps has an impact on the colour door puzzle above?
Location 3
The jungle,
the bloody sound puzzles. I've got 2 more to do I think, I've hit the one where the bird chirps no longer align with the up/down of the line puzzle, and there is instead a wolf howl over the top. I was assuming this wolf howl relates to the longer section of line puzzle, but I can't figure it.

So any clues appreciated! Thanks
Location 1:
You have to figure out what combinations can you make with that puzzle taking into account the information it gives you from the different floors (how could the puzzle look like when a different colour lights the elevator?)

Location 2:
You have the puzzle reduced to three colours, you have done the most difficult part, keep working on it.

For the one with the
broken speaker
, you have to solve the puzzles in the jungle, and go back to it later.

Location 3:
You need to be very concentrated for these ones, as you have seen, there are elements interfering, you have to focus on the right one. If you don't have the patience or ear for it, check the solutions online. I don't recommend it, but I've seen plenty of people doing it.

deleted

I finally finished the game.
415 + 46 was my 'run' in the end

Sadly I took too long off in between my last session and this one, so I forgot some of the details of the rules which obviously matters quite a bit in the endgame. So got a little pissed off that I took way too long on puzzles that I should be able to solve, but couldn't, because I remembered the rules incorrectly.

I looked up around another 5 puzzles in the endgame... Which frustrates me, but what can you do. I didn't want to spend another few hours with the game, being obviously really close to the end. I almost never finish single player games and play multiplayer games most of the time, so this marks a rather seldom occurring occasion for me either way.

Needless to say that I enjoyed my time with this game very (!) much. It was great figuring stuff out. Some weeks ago, I even introduced it to some friends on a couch gaming night. We had people playing the game that are normally not even slightly interested in gaming, but couldn't leave the room, glued to the screen thinking about the solution to the puzzle. This obviously speaks to the quality of the game, even if I didn't like certain parts. Some puzzles were easy to figure out, but obnoxious to pull off. Those weren't clever but a huge pain in the ass. But regarding the number of puzzles and the one's still left to solve... I loved my time with the Witness and might even do a second playthrough some time in the future.

So, about the ending:
The pillars where a weak set of puzzles to close the game on. I didn't activate the person kneeling in front of the door in the red room, would that have changed anything? I heard there are different endings, I got a flight through the game that reset everything and finally closed the game for me.
How many endings are there? What is considered the 'best' one?

Mindlog

So, about the ending:
The pillars where a weak set of puzzles to close the game on. I didn't activate the person kneeling in front of the door in the red room, would that have changed anything? I heard there are different endings, I got a flight through the game that reset everything and finally closed the game for me.
About the ending:
Don't really worry about best ending. They're not that special. Finding them is. If that makes sense.
You can keep playing:
from your last save. (there is another spoiler here, but not sure if saying it now would be correct.)
Activating the thing you are talking about:
Leads to my favorite area and what I personally consider to be the true ending. It's not an ending just an 'ultimate puzzle.'
About your final score.... I don't know how to comment on that without..... Who has beat the game and knows what I mean? :]

cyba89

So, about the ending:

There's a
secret ending. You definitely should go back and activate the puzzle in front of the kneeling person (but you have to do something else first).
Some of the best content of the game (imo) is still ahead of you.

deleted

There's a
secret ending. You definitely should go back and activate the puzzle in front of the kneeling person (but you have to do something else first).
Some of the best content of the game (imo) is still ahead of you.

Yep, I thought to myself "Fuck it, I'm going back in" Activated the person,
the triangles correspond to to the number of sides, you have to corner the symbol in?!
Here we go again :p

Edit: They are pretty awesome!
There's a feeling coming back that was almost slipping away with some of the gimmicks towards the end. This is purer puzzling again - I like that!

deleted

I made it! I was pretty surprised
when the Credits opened up before me... Fascinating video at the end too. The guy lost himself in the game and searched for the same patterns in reality? Or was it the other way around?

And I have to get back into the cave and make it through the vinyl puzzle. 3-4 songs, is it? I made some mistakes and only got to the three puzzles across the first bridge so far, then I hit a brick wall. I guess if I do this and the moving puzzles on the monitors overhead I open up the temple?

Oh and for stats sake:
471 + 48 puzzles - I did most of the first cave and then opened up the second by accident and went exploring. Stumbled over the ending there... Pretty brilliant how it wraps around! But there have to be people that accidentally did it this way the first time and didn't know what to make of it :p

cyba89

Oh and for stats sake:
Stumbled over the ending there... Pretty brilliant how it wraps around! But there have to be people that accidentally did it this way the first time and didn't know what to make of it :p

Read Post #1000 (and further) in this thread. ;)

Haines

Banned
Me and the wife are playing and sometimes we get stuck.

Do you guys just move on in the world and find another puzzle to do when you get stuck?

I can't believe how open everything feels.

Eklesp

Do you guys just move on in the world and find another puzzle to do when you get stuck?

I did this sometimes. Usually just stuck with something feeling like an idiot.

If you get stuck because you don't know a certain type of puzzle, then you should absolutely go look for something else. If you can't solve a specific puzzle, I think it's a good idea to spend some time on it and then, if you can't progress, maybe quit for a bit. Either just stop playing for some time or move to a different area. That way you'll probably end up looking at said puzzle differently once you come back.

Not sure if it's just me, but with some puzzles I took a screen and thought about it during the day while I had some spare time. It's a pretty nice thing to do.

The Mac version has been out on the Mac App Store for a week or so, and an "Install" button is now available in Steam on Mac as well.

Right now you will get an empty download if you try to install, but regardless be on the lookout for the Mac launch on Steam any time now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's nice that I can play on my laptop now when I get around to replaying this.

Finally completed it. Maaaaan... my head.
I admittedly had to use a walkthrough a handful of times, but considering how shitty I normally am at puzzles, I'm pretty proud of myself. :D

I'm only now finding out about the black obelisks. Completely missed those. I mean, I saw them around, figured they were there for some reason or another, but never cracked the code. Not going back, either. Great game, though. Something different... and I appreciate the care Blow put into it.

That said - as someone that has no shame in admitting that I appreciate a nice deep message every now and then... what the fuck at that ending (or even last area)?

I try really, really hard to avoid using the 'pretentious' label, but hot damn... listening to some of the audio logs near the end and that ending in general gave me involuntary eye rolls. I couldn't even help it. I blame myself, though. The puzzles had the regular tendency to make me feel like a complete boob, but I power through those and then this game's 'message', whatever the hell it is, ends up dropkicking me in the dick as one last send-off, leaving me scratching my head and feeling like a caveman. Thanks Blow. You're a smart, deep guy, we know. ;)

Looking forward to whatever game he makes next that's inevitably going to pummel my simple brain.

Inkwell

Banned
Finally completed it. Maaaaan... my head.
I admittedly had to use a walkthrough a handful of times, but considering how shitty I normally am at puzzles, I'm pretty proud of myself. :D

I'm only now finding out about the black obelisks. Completely missed those. I mean, I saw them around, figured they were there for some reason or another, but never cracked the code. Not going back, either. Great game, though. Something different... and I appreciate the care Blow put into it.

That said - as someone that has no shame in admitting that I appreciate a nice deep message every now and then... what the fuck at that ending (or even last area)?

I try really, really hard to avoid using the 'pretentious' label, but hot damn... listening to some of the audio logs near the end and that ending in general gave me involuntary eye rolls. I couldn't even help it. I blame myself, though. The puzzles had the regular tendency to make me feel like a complete boob, but I power through those and then this game's 'message', whatever the hell it is, ends up dropkicking me in the dick as one last send-off, leaving me scratching my head and feeling like a caveman. Thanks Blow. You're a smart, deep guy, we know. ;)

Looking forward to whatever game he makes next that's inevitably going to pummel my simple brain.

Yeah, Blow and his team did an excellent job of balancing the difficulty, as well as teaching players all the rules. That doesn't mean it's all easy. Yeah, the obelisks are kind of pointless. They're just there to add some optional content. I enjoyed them to a point but it did get a little stale after a while.

I can understand how someone might think the game is a bit pretentious. I recently listened to the episode of the Adam Ruins Everything podcast where it's just a long interview with Blow (It's on youtube as well). It's pretty informative but also really long. 1 1/2 hours long. If you don't like Blow you may hate the interview. I found it very insightful.

And then there's this:

The "ending" ending? Or the "new game+" ending?

I'm also wondering whether you
got the regular wonkavator ending, the special "true" ending, or have been to the special bonus area with extra puzzles

Wok

In case The Witness was your GOTY last year...

What lies at the heart of Johnathan Blow's island of mystery? We talk to the famed indie designer about how one of his earliest design ideas blossomed into The Witness.

I just beat the game. I had around 470 monitors completed, I think. I did part of the Cave, but didn't manage to do the set of puzzles that is timed to the musical piece.

Is there a post or series of posts in this thread that delve into the meaning of the game? I don't want to search through all these pages, lol.

I just beat the game. I had around 470 monitors completed, I think. I did part of the Cave, but didn't manage to do the set of puzzles that is timed to the musical piece.

Is there a post or series of posts in this thread that delve into the meaning of the game? I don't want to search through all these pages, lol.

I've lost track of what was said in this thread, but here's what might be the best-produced video commenting on the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJC62t4JfA

I've lost track of what was said in this thread, but here's what might be the best-produced video commenting on the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJC62t4JfA

Thanks! I watched it. It was fascinating. I found the image of the pattern to be used on the gate at the beginning of the game last night, but I had forgotten about the look of the panel, so I didn't get to make that discovery myself. I regret that. Oh well.

How do you make the boat drive by itself? Can you actually step off it as soon as you make it go forward?

ymgve

Thanks! I watched it. It was fascinating. I found the image of the pattern to be used on the gate at the beginning of the game last night, but I had forgotten about the look of the panel, so I didn't get to make that discovery myself. I regret that. Oh well.

How do you make the boat drive by itself? Can you actually step off it as soon as you make it go forward?

It is totally possible, but I don't remember the exact method I used - you either got to be quick, or you have to draw on the map from a vantage point on land.

You need to use the unmanned boat in one of the hidden puzzles, so it's intentional to be able to make the boat leave without you.

Don't know if there's anyone still reading this thread who might be interested, but I had some thoughts on a certain video/opinion and figured I might as well write them down.
For everyone else who finished the game, I was wondering what you thought of this video, "A Great Game That You Shouldn't Play". It's a bit on the long side, but it's always interesting to hear different opinions and interpretations of the game.
I don't believe the game would have worked nearly as well without the island itself, nor that it really wastes my time playing it. And also, I certainly don't think the description on the store page is "lying", as even the simple puzzles in the game are there so that you learn something about certain rules, despite how easy and quick they might be to solve.
My main point would be that by the end of the video I didn't really get why exactly I shouldn't be playing this game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Don't know if there's anyone still reading this thread who might be interested, but I had some thoughts on a certain video/opinion and figured I might as well write them down.
For everyone else who finished the game, I was wondering what you thought of this video, "A Great Game That You Shouldn't Play". It's a bit on the long side, but it's always interesting to hear different opinions and interpretations of the game.
I don't believe the game would have worked nearly as well without the island itself, nor that it really wastes my time playing it. And also, I certainly don't think the description on the store page is "lying", as even the simple puzzles in the game are there so that you learn something about certain rules, despite how easy and quick they might be to solve.
My main point would be that by the end of the video I didn't really get why exactly I shouldn't be playing this game.

It's a pretty long video and I don't remember every point he made that well, but he did go on about the disconnect between being on an island, mostly just standing still and solving puzzles. I didn't really mind that, it's just the premise of the game. Plus, in some of the enviromental themed areas your surroundings are used for the puzzle. And there's the
+ puzzles
of course. I'd say the game feels more unique because of the island. I'd rather have that than a series of panels in a room.

There are some criticisms you can throw at The Witness, but it's never a game you shouldn't play.

Crispy75

If you listen to Blow talk about the game, the +puzzles are the reason The Witness exists. Drawing line puzzles are what gets your mind in the right shape to be receptive to the + puzzles

I stopped watching when he said the door on the ship didn't communicate that it was about
sound
. The
different-sized dots communicate that, if he understood the forest's later sound puzzles (rather than brute-forcing it and then giving up and looking up a walkthrough
. It is also an optional difficult 'late-game' (in spirit) puzzle for people who have mastered the concepts it explores (I haven't successfully done this puzzle!). It's not so much for people who didn't even learn what this rule was when they look up the solutions to earlier relevant puzzles in a walkthrough! These types of criticisms in the first 10-ish(?) minutes don't make me want to waste much more time on it.

It's a pretty long video and I don't remember every point he made that well, but he did go on about the disconnect between being on an island, mostly just standing still and solving puzzles. I didn't really mind that, it's just the premise of the game. Plus, in some of the enviromental themed areas your surroundings are used for the puzzle. And there's the
+ puzzles
of course. I'd say the game feels more unique because of the island. I'd rather have that than a series of panels in a room.

There are some criticisms you can throw at The Witness, but it's never a game you shouldn't play.
That's pretty much where I'm at, I can understand some criticism for this game, but it's still a really well made puzzle game that anyone who likes the genre should at least try.
I stopped watching when he said the door on the ship didn't communicate that it was about
sound
. The
different-sized dots communicate that, if he understood the forest's later sound puzzles (rather than brute-forcing it and then giving up and looking up a walkthrough
. It is also an optional difficult 'late-game' (in spirit) puzzle for people who have mastered the concepts it explores (I haven't successfully done this puzzle!). It's not so much for people who didn't even learn what this rule was when they look up the solutions to earlier relevant puzzles in a walkthrough! These types of criticisms in the first 10-ish(?) minutes don't make me want to waste much more time on it.
I agree, it is still pretty hard (I had a lot of trouble with the sound puzzles in general), but it was obvious that it involved sound. That's why I don't think criticising the game for the freedom it gives the player is pretty silly. In the video (maybe later on) he says that he got stuck on a door because he thought it was the "first" puzzle of that kind, but it was clearly differente, considering every otehr tutorial puzzle is two to three blocks big at most.
If you listen to Blow talk about the game, the +puzzles are the reason The Witness exists. Drawing line puzzles are what gets your mind in the right shape to be receptive to the + puzzles
And also, he doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who would do something just to "screw" with the players. While I or others might not like certain things (like the infamous cloud in Braid), I doubt he put them there just to annoy people, rather because he had a certain idea he wanted to convey.

Inkwell

Banned

The first time I saw one of his videos was his one on Breath of the Wild. He makes some good points, but lets just say I disagree with a lot of what he says about shrines (not all of it though). This didn't instill confidence that his The Witness video would be much different, so due to a couple reasons I went in a bit biased. I kept seeing this video pop up as recommended on youtube and I kept ignoring it because of the title. The Witness was my favorite game last year, and I couldn't possibly see what was gained from watching someone's video telling me I shouldn't play it. Anyway, I watched it. Took some notes too. I'll try to keep things a bit simplified and brief, but I hope not too much. I could probably make a video twice as long where I go point by point and I definitely don't want to do that. Keep in mind that the video was made relatively soon after the game released. We've had a while to learn new information through interviews and such for a while now.

First thing is that I have to agree, I don't have any clue why he decided to frame the video as "you shouldn't play this" when it's clear he mostly seemed to enjoy it. I think the title was supposed to be more of a click-bait hyperbole kind of thing.

He criticizes some puzzles where he is the one at fault. I'm not trying to be one of those "git gud" people he mentions in the video either (keep the "git gud" thing in mind). There's the tetromino puzzle he struggled with for an hour or so thinking it was the first one. I remember finding that one as well. I approached it similarly but maybe spent 10 or 15 minutes on it. It was quite obvious that there were easier tutorial puzzles in another location.

He also had issues with the sound puzzles. This isn't necessarily his fault, but it's obvious he's tone def. I know these gave some people a lot more trouble than I would have thought. There's mentions of not knowing when the string of chirps have stopped, but it's actually very obvious. The sound pauses for a bit. He gets all upset about it, but going from the video he doesn't even seem to care that color-blind people would have serious trouble with color based puzzles. I wouldn't say I'm tone def, but I've never really been good with this stuff. I found the puzzles to be fairly adequate.

Next up is the ship puzzle. First off, It's a completely optional thing. Second, he says that there are no clues that it's related to sound. There's the different sized dots though which gives it away. I like the idea of the puzzle but don't think it's necessarily executed that well. I actually solved it quickly based purely on luck (I hadn't figured out the slow groaning in the background). I had a lot of trouble when I played through the game recently. I actually found a video with it sped up that seemed to help. I would say he's about 50/50 being right here. I also think this puzzle was intentional obtuse (like another I will get to) in the same way stars were in Braid.

Let's talk about that actually. I'm pretty sure he's right about Blow messing with people. He makes it seem like it's this malicious thing, when in reality I think it's more comical. Braid with it's secrets was sort of commentary on obsession (with collecting everything in games in specific) and why it's not a good thing. He points out the hidden puzzles with "The Secret of Psalm 46" video as evidence of it. He's not wrong. I mean I did it, and there really is no point in doing it. I look at it as more of a joke though. By the way, he seems offended that this video is the reward for the challenge. Not that the video is bad (he finds it interesting), but that it's a waste of his time when he could watch it on his own time. I don't know about you, but I would have never heard the talk if not for the game, and I'm very glad for that.

Now, I said to keep the "git gud" stuff in mind. I think I'm overstepping here but I'll say it anyway. I think he is a very intelligent person who seems to enjoy puzzles. I also think he is criticizing these puzzles more as a defense mechanism than anything else. I'm speaking from experience since I'm like this. I'm going to take a guess and say he probably felt like he was inadequate at these puzzles, and instead of admitting it was his fault with these specific puzzles, he decided they were poorly designed instead. It was probably reinforced when he saw one or two people making comments that could be boiled down to "git gud". Everyone seems to excel or do poorly with the different kinds of puzzles. He is no different.

I don't think I would have commented if it wasn't for this next bit though. He complains that the game is essentially a glorified tablet game that doesn't justify itself being in 3D, or it's price. I find this incredibly offensive. Yes, I would have enjoyed playing these puzzles on my phone, but it more than justifies being a full 3D game. He talks about how the puzzles that use the environment are the best ones, and then says there weren't enough to justify the game being in 3D. Here's a list of the puzzle locations from the map that are more than just symbols with rules:

- Symmetry Island
- Desert
- Logging/Forest
- Orchard
- Keep
- Monastery

Outside of that, I could also include areas where how you solve puzzles allows you to open different pathways:

- Marsh
- Treehouse

I would go further than that and include a few other areas where there's more to the game than if it were just a 2D thing on a tablet:

- Bunker/Greenhouse
- Town
- Inside the mountain

Even if for some reason he thought all these areas weren't justified, this misses some of the more simple joys of it being in 3D. The game is gorgeous. There's the hidden puzzles and little perspective sculptures. There's also joy to be found when you explore and find the tutorial puzzles that give you the knowledge to solve the more difficult ones. Considering how much content is in the game, I feel it fully justifies the price tag as well.

I want to end this by saying he does have some valid points with the story. I wish there was more to it. I get the point of all the tape recorders even though I didn't enjoy that very much. It's obvious the game wasn't intended to be story heavy though. He says some things about the complexity of stories and how they are told. I feel his opinion comes very close to the crowd that think every game that doesn't have a simple story told in a simple way are "pretentious". I can't necessarily fault him for it with regards to this game, but I found it a bit irritating.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it and write this down. I agree with mosto of your points. He complained about some puzzles but it wasn't really the puzzle's fault, it was very clear what they meant to be and the door one especially was in no way similar to the tutorial ones. I also don't see what's the problem in the game trying to show us some different ideas/concepts; it's not like it's forcing us to do it, if you're interested it's something to keep you occupied while you think over some of the puzzles; and like you said, most likely we wouldn't have heard about them if not thanks to this game.
You said a lot already about the importance of the island being there, I'll just add that the point about the price is something that really annoys me, and should have no mention in an analysis like this. He can think what he wants about this game, but a lot of work, effort and time went into it, so saying that it's not worth its price because it could be a glorified tablet game is just wrong.
Either way, I'm glad to see the video sparked some interesting discussion :D

Smellycat

Does anyone know where I can get this game for a cheap price? $40 dollars digital purchase is too much for a game that came out more than 1 year ago? I have been wanting to play this game for a while since I love puzzle games :/

LaneDS

Does anyone know where I can get this game for a cheap price? $40 dollars digital purchase is too much for a game that came out more than 1 year ago? I have been wanting to play this game for a while since I love puzzle games :/

It's been as low as I believe $12 (monthly Humble Bundle deal) but it'll drop to $20 or lower during Steam sales, so just hold out for something like that I'd say.

edit: hold out for RIGHT NOW apparently

Smellycat

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-witness

Half price for the next couple of days.

It's been as low as I believe $12 (monthly Humble Bundle deal) but it'll drop to $20 or lower during Steam sales, so just hold out for something like that I'd say.

edit: hold out for RIGHT NOW apparently

It's €17.99/$19.99 on Humble right now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-witness

edit: welp

Thanks guys!! I can't believe I also missed out on Inside :/

Hmmm...I really want to play this on the big screen on my PS4 though

LaneDS

I would double dip (more like quintuple dip, since I've gifted a few copies) if it was brought to the Switch. I imagine the previously discussed mobile port is probably still more important, sale wise.

dickroach

I thought I was getting the hang of the tetris pieces, but it's saying this is wrong
pOH6IUO.jpg
how is this wrong?

Prurient

Banned
I thought I was getting the hang of the tetris pieces, but it's saying this is wrong

how is this wrong?

Just a thought, it's been a while...

The bottom corner piece isn't at an angle, so it needs an outline in it's original shape. If you count it as the right way up, the other two pieces don't fit in your solution.

Anustart

About to give up on this game 50 minutes in. There's no gating so I have no fucking clue if I'm even supposed to be able to solve puzzles I come across.

So all I'm doing is wandering an island not being able to do anything and not sure I'm where I should be or what. Im not breaking out notebooks and writing down and mapping everything I do because I don't have time for that shit.

About to give up on this game 50 minutes in. There's no gating so I have no fucking clue if I'm even supposed to be able to solve puzzles I come across.

So all I'm doing is wandering an island not being able to do anything and not sure I'm where I should be or what. Im not breaking out notebooks and writing down and mapping everything I do because I don't have time for that shit.
If you think you're not meant to be able to solve something yet, you can assume that's right and move on. No need for maps or notebooks. You'll stumble back on to things you had trouble with earlier.

Blizzard

Banned

If the idea of writing a diagram on a piece of paper is a turn off, or "I don't have time for [whatever]" comes to mind, I recommend you refund the game.

If I recall correctly, I solved every panel in the game by myself, but I did use a page or two of graphing paper over the course of 40+ hours played. Also, it's not going to be a short game unless you look up solutions, at which point there's not not a lot of reason to play the game besides the pretty visuals. It's a very painstakingly designed game that allows players to gradually learn puzzle mechanics in a rewarding fashion, but time is the price you pay.

You're not going to find a story as you go. The puzzles ARE the game.

Grinchy

Banned
I even cut pieces out of graphic paper so I could sit there and move them around physically to try different layouts. It sounds like you bought a puzzle game and don't like puzzles.

Top Bottom