• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

Ketch

does the original PC version have more then one tile set? Like the jungle? How many boards do I need to beat to get to the next tileset?

Like all you need is a well timed bomb or two and you get the best weapon in the game, and all the shit from the shop.

Then the game becomes cakewalk.

Yep. I wouldn't say cakewalk, but it's massively easier.

I wonder if he's tweaked the shopkeeper behavior in this version to make that strategy less viable.

2am PST / 5am EST

Man... I know it's a terrible idea but I'm so tempted to stay up the two and a half hours to get this.

I am so deeply let down that this doesn't have online multiplayer. A bunch of us at work were very excited after watching the trailer, but alas, not going to happen.

I really want to know why it didn't make it in…

Man... I know it's a terrible idea but I'm so tempted to stay up the two and a half hours to get this.

Me too. (I'm in PST) -- I don't have to work tomorrow or anything, but I start to get incredibly sleepy by 12:30AM. Even if I do stay up long enough to download and play it, I'll probably fall asleep with the controller in my hand anyway.

I just got done watching that ManvsSpelunky stream that was posted earlier. I watched it for nearly 3 straight hours O_O My hype level is through the roof!

I am so deeply let down that this doesn't have online multiplayer. A bunch of us at work were very excited after watching the trailer, but alas, not going to happen.

I really want to know why it didn't make it in…

i hope that it does sell anyway. With online multiplayer and a price of 800 points it would probably have sold much better.

i hope that it does sell anyway. With online multiplayer and a price of 800 points it would probably have sold much better.

I'm definitely still picking it up, but I can't say the same for the rest of my coworkers. Sometimes it's a tough sell to get people who are unfamiliar with certain things to make a blind purchase, but usually online multiplayer (co-op even) will help ease the uncertainty.

I think you'd see a lot more spontaneous purchases (similar to my situation) if it was included.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Sometimes it's a tough sell to get people who are unfamiliar with certain things to make a blind purchase, but usually online multiplayer (co-op even) will help ease the uncertainty.

Does it not include a demo?

I'm so hanging out for this. 800msp is a steal IMO.

When asked about Spelunky coming to PC, Derek said, "In all likelihood, yeah."

Not really a confirmation or definite information, but for the sake of sales and the kind of developer Derek is, I would say Spelunky is coming to PC (as would Derek).

Hot damn, where did he say this? I'd buy it just to support the guy.

There you go. There's also an older interview from last year where he mentions it. There's a link on the first page of this topic, I believe.

Does it not include a demo?

I'm so hanging out for this. 800msp is a steal IMO.

Sure, there's a demo, and the game itself is worth a purchase.

However, sometimes the social/multiplayer "Let's play it together after work!" scenario will sell a game more than the game will.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Sure, there's a demo, and the game itself is worth a purchase.

However, sometimes the social/multiplayer "Let's play it together after work!" scenario will sell a game more than the game will.

Understood. Being a non-social gamer makes my gaming tastes vary a lot & often forget the opposite to what's ideal for me is perfect for others wanting social/mp experience.
Also my bad on the 800msp error even at 1200 I say bring it.
Go the Indiana Jones adventurer brown explorer brimmed hat!

So far only two people in the WORLD have beaten Spelunky, one of them being Kyle Pulver (maker of Offspring Fling):

c2sT7.png

Krilekk

Banned
It's out, just not visible yet. You can already download the trial and/or buy the game on xbox.com, then download it on your console.

Misguided

Banned
I'm getting that it costs -1 points on my Xbox, and that it's not in my region on the computer. Amazing work as usual Microsoft.

Daigoro

acm2000

Thanks for coming to this conclusion before even playing the fucking game.

until i can resell my digital purchases, anything over 800pts would have to be something incredibly special for me to buy

i dont use steam etc for same reason, i refuse to support any digital delivery services that can cut you off from playing what i own

Olli

Banned
Yeah the Giantbomb QL was fantastic. Too bad that I do nothave a 360 but I will buy this game the moment it will be released on the PC.

Feindflug

the port begging in this thread needs to end as soon as possible.

It wouldn't be a XBLA thread without some good old port begging. :p

Back on topic the game is going to be bought today at 1200 points, the GB QL was too awesome to even think about not getting the game at day one.

Is there anywhere that I can see what has been changed from the PC version to the XBLA version? I was planning on purchasing this when I got up this morning. Turns out my XBLA account managed to get compromised by the good old Fifa 12 Ultimate Team card buyers and now I have no MS Points...bleh!

luiztfc

Don't know if this been mentioned, but Giantbomb (Jeff/Brad/Patrick) did a pretty good, funny and lenghty quicklook of it.

Youtube version for easiness of access:

Quick Look: Spelunky (53:16) (Jeff / Brad / Patrick)

-GJ-

Just bought this just because of this thread. Never played the original game. Wish me luck GAF, haha. I heard it's hard as a motherfucker.

Shaneus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8vFFMudjXk

Here ya go guys!

Sorry for not being too good at the game! haha
I might be late on this, but after looking at the first 10 seconds, but is it just me or is this HEAVILY inspired by Montezuma's Revenge?

Edit: Further into the vid, it seems very similar but I doubt there was any influence. Still enough similarities to it (and Rick Dangerous!!!) to warrant a fresh purchase (unless I wait for it on PC). Woo!
Edit #2:

Just read the Eurogamer review. The look reminds me of Rick Dangerous so much!
brofist.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gonna get on and try it out in a bit - seriously can't believe how I've went from knowing zilch to being so interested in a matter of days.

And yes, refreshing the thread just to see more port begging is annoying - but hey, it's an XBLA thread.

I've already played Spelunker HD (and loved it). Is this different enough to make it worthwhile?

Well, from Derek Yu himself some hours ago when I looked:

59xjY.jpg

mozfan12

Banned
the port begging in this thread needs to end as soon as possible.

Im so tired of this, its like this in every single XBLA thread. I thought port begging was bannable. It takes so much away from the conversation when you have 5 or 6 people on every page saying "No PSN/Steam no buy."

I just dont get the logic of bitching about 360 having no exclusives, and then bitching when it has an exclusive you want, even if it may be limited to a year exclusive. Im guessing its gonna be the same for Deadlight and Dust.

End rant/

Now back to the game:

Just got it right now. Gonna play it for a half hour then sleep!

Really digging the artstyle now that I can see it on my tv.

Top Bottom