• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity Officially Announced: [New 9 Minute Strategy Video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like bullshit, or a great excuse to backhand players. Either way it's a sneaky way to raise the temperature on consumers. It's a slippery slope, and they know it.

There's already a thread to complain about the "DRM", please don't ruin this one too. If you can't grasp your head on the concept that this SimCity is an online multiplayer game you can vent your "frustration" there.

Augustus

Banned
Fuck this apologist attitude some people have. It is never, and never will be, ok to require a game be permanently online. It doesnt enhance gameplay, it doesnt add anything, it just fucks over people with unnecessary interuptions and limitations. I hated playing Diablo, and being half way through a level.. and oh wait.. nope back to the start cos i dropped out. If i wanted to play the game online, cool, patch me up when i sign in, and off we go. No way in hell should I ever be forced to be permanently connected to some server, to prove I didnt pirate the game. What happens in 5 years, or 10? People can still put in their Sim City 1 disc and install it and off you go. How do I know im going to be able to connect and play in 5 or 10 years time? Its unnecessary bullshit, and should not be accepted by anyone.

Herewego.gif ....

Except in this game it does enhance it and it also adds a lot. This SimCity is a multiplayer game that you can play alone if you wish. It is not a SinglePlayer game that you can play online if you wish.

Would you complain about something like Vindictus being always online? No you wouldn't.

Also don't get the DLC reasoning. They can still shower you with DLC even if it's not always online. Just look at the Sims.

Brosa

Aha, Stockholm City Hall, where the Nobel Prize Dinner is eaten ;)

simcity_653631b.jpg

800px-Stockholm_City_Hall.jpg

I want the XCOM/SimCity Crossover pack, where aliens attack the city in SimCity management mode, and the game switches to XCOM tactical view for a battle.

I want the simcity/syndicate crossover pack, where you can attack other players city's with 4 trench coat wearing guys.

dLMN8R

Fuck this apologist attitude some people have. It is never, and never will be, ok to require a game be permanently online. It doesnt enhance gameplay, it doesnt add anything, it just fucks over people with unnecessary interuptions and limitations. I hated playing Diablo, and being half way through a level.. and oh wait.. nope back to the start cos i dropped out. If i wanted to play the game online, cool, patch me up when i sign in, and off we go. No way in hell should I ever be forced to be permanently connected to some server, to prove I didnt pirate the game. What happens in 5 years, or 10? People can still put in their Sim City 1 disc and install it and off you go. How do I know im going to be able to connect and play in 5 or 10 years time? Its unnecessary bullshit, and should not be accepted by anyone.

So those of us who are excited about SimCity and know about its online requirement, but don't spend every single god fucking damned post on the game bitching about it, are apologists?

Go post in the thread about DRM, jesus christ. The online requirement might be necessary for technical reasons, probably not, I just don't care. It didn't affect my personal enjoyment of Diablo 3, the same will probably hold true for SimCity.

I have too much important shit in my life to devote it to the cause of informing people about DRM. If you don't like it, don't buy it, don't play it. Bitch about it in the thread that's actually about that topic.

And don't you FUCKING DARE tell me what I "should accept".

markot

Banned
So those of us who are excited about SimCity and know about its online requirement, but don't spend every single god fucking damned post on the game bitching about it, are apologists?

Go post in the thread about DRM, jesus christ. The online requirement might be necessary for technical reasons, probably not, I just don't care. It didn't affect my personal enjoyment of Diablo 3, the same will probably hold true for SimCity.

I have too much important shit in my life to devote it to the cause of informing people about DRM. If you don't like it, don't buy it, don't play it. Bitch about it in the thread that's actually about that topic.

Dont you fucking dare tell me where I should post.

I'm actually okay with an online multiplayer focused spinoff SimCity. Sounds like it might be fun if they can make sure to keep the micro and macro from being too simple and watered down.

I'm just not okay with this being marketed as a reboot of the franchise instead of as a spinoff. Call the game SimCity Online or EA it up by calling it 'SimCity Connections' or something similar.

But it's just disingenuous to simply call this new game 'SimCity.'

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
stop right there. The moment you become a lead designer for every game in existence please PM me.

I understand where you are coming from but that dismissive tone is unnecessary.

f0rk

Aee there any screens of a big city? They all seem rather tiny, which kills the game entirely.

It seems the individual cities will be relatively small but a region has connected plots when you want to branch out further so you are managing a county or whatever rather than a single city.
Think I'd rather have one big city but it's an interesting idea.

It seems the individual cities will be relatively small but a region has connected plots when you want to branch out further so you are managing a county or whatever rather than a single city.
Think I'd rather have one big city but it's an interesting idea.

I'd rather have several big cities connected in a region -.-

KAP151

250px-Sideshow_Raheem.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Aee there any screens of a big city? They all seem rather tiny, which kills the game entirely.

No screens of a big city yet. No mention of the capability at all. At this point, it sounds like all cities will be small.

I'd rather have several big cities connected in a region -.-

I absolutely love the way Sim City 4 did it, gave us a lot of control and freedom to make a huge area of large city plots. It will be interesting to see how SC5 manages it with the small city plots.

Mobius 1

I am a bit concerned about the city density, as the lot of you are. But I'm assuming that the ease of regional play this time will make up for it.

The one thing that has not been talked about in detail is the transit simulation. I hope that we get a more complete experience out of the box, comparable to Rush Hour this time, and not another expansion in the future. We already know there will be no subways. The development team stated that they would rather have surface level mass transit in order to display it graphically, but that's hardly a good excuse. I feel subways are being left out because the cities are too small to support it.

I'm just not okay with this being marketed as a reboot of the franchise instead of as a spinoff. Call the game SimCity Online or EA it up by calling it 'SimCity Connections' or something similar.

But it's just disingenuous to simply call this new game 'SimCity.'
Seems kind of like Dragon Age 2, where it should have been called something else entirely. Otherwise you end up with people expecting something that the game isn't going to provide.

Dont you fucking dare tell me where I should post.

oh snap... D1P set reuinion... lol..

I'm excited for the game regardless of the DRM. it's shitty, but it doesn't affect me so i can accept it. i like the idea of the persistent online world, but i really am concerned about the sizes of the cities and the lame buffer zones in between cities. i want a vast area that's packed full of development around the shorelines like many metro areas are.

Augustus

Banned
stop right there. The moment you become a lead designer for every game in existence please PM me.

I understand where you are coming from but that dismissive tone is unnecessary.

I dont believe so. The fact that I am not a game designer on every game in existence doesnt mean anything. Give me one legitimate reason why a predominantly single player game NEEDS to be always online. There isnt one, no game needs to be online constantly at all.

Sorry princess, didnt mean to hurt your feelings. Thanks for emphasisng the fucking dare also, if it wasnt in bold and capitalised I fear I might have missed it.

markot

Banned
oh snap... D1P set reuinion... lol..

I'm excited for the game regardless of the DRM. it's shitty, but it doesn't affect me so i can accept it. i like the idea of the persistent online world, but i really am concerned about the sizes of the cities and the lame buffer zones in between cities. i want a vast area that's packed full of development around the shorelines like many metro areas are.

Thats what it should be if you are going to do online. (AS AN OPTION NOT MANDATORYYYYYYYYY!)

Big ass city areas that you control, with areas next to you controlled by other people, you can trade water, electricity, have to manage connections... etc... can help each other if there is a diaster, send over police... etc... You should have to fight for employment and population with each other... etc...

Based on the screens up there I get the impression Sim City 4 has more details going on than this new one.

I don't know. Sim city 4 involved big cities and sweeping blocks of land. This Sim City has simulation as a much lower level, It's got a much better micro-game, although probably worse macro than SC4.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I dont believe so. The fact that I am not a game designer on every game in existence doesnt mean anything. Give me one legitimate reason why a predominantly single player game NEEDS to be always online. There isnt one, no game needs to be online constantly at all.
Whether you agree with the design decisions or not, the point is that the people who design the games can do whatever the hell they want with them.

Your option as a consumer is to not buy/not buy the game. You get to vote with your dollar. That goes for a lot of things, beyond just forced internet connectivity.

Also I agree that online is not necessary. Luckily or unluckily, game designers don't always conform strictly to needs. Especially since games are entertainment.

I think it's meant to resemble the tilt-shift photography effect, in which the forced DoF creates the illusion of looking at a miniature when the photo is really of a large landscape, for example:

lyl9H.jpg

BSbua.jpg

And a video

Really fascinating photography trick.

Problem is in this context you already know you're looking at a simulation without any real point of reference, so it loses some of it's dramatic effect.

McNum

New screenshot,
413720_10151333732309866_333564822_o.jpg

Not sure what the blur is for..
Wait a minute, I recognize a few of those houses. I think the long white one on the left is from The Sims 3, and the blue one in the foreground seems familiar, too.

I wonder... Simcity 4 and Sims 2 could connect and you could use the terraforming in Simcity 4 to make a neighborhood for Sims 2. Could it be you can import building designs from Sims 3 to Simcity? The homes look very The Sims 3 like in general, too.

Maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise me if the games can interact somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom