• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy carries his ar-15 to go shopping at JC Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

hym

Banned
People who panic at the mere sight of a gun are more of a problem than people who carry them in public.

I would also turn around and go home when I see a guy carrying an axe into a mall, I hope I'm not provoking anyone to attempt this. When I can't imagine a plausible scenario why somebody would need this in public then I will assume the worst just for my own sake and hope I don't hear about it on the news later.

Bombadil

Banned
People who panic at the mere sight of a gun are more of a problem than people who carry them in public.

Yeah, we should just accept people's paranoid beliefs about a secret government takeover prompting them to beat their chests about their "god-given" right to bear arms.

Hey look--a random dude brandishing a gun. That's normal.

People who feel the need to carry a gun 24/7 because they're insanely paranoid and insecure are the problem.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah... because you should definitely feel comfortable when some stranger nearby has the means of killing you in an instant.

the fuck?

His stunt shouldn't cause a panic. Should people become cautious of him? Sure. Should the store ask him to leave? If they want to. But there's no reason to start panicking.

Big-E

Ludicrous. Guy points his gun at you would you be scared? You standing in front of this guy and all he has to do is move his arm 90 degrees and the gun is not pointed at the floor anymore but is pointed at you.

Yeah... because you should definitely feel comfortable when some stranger nearby has the means of killing you in an instant.

the fuck?

That circumstance happens to you more often than you think. Ever walked on a sidewalk in the same direction as traffic? How simple would it be for a driver to intentionally speed up over the curb and run you over? I think what most people are doing is assuming the guy is dangerous or deranged because he is carrying a gun. They view him as a person more willing to harm because he has the gun. That is an assumption that should not be made.

His stunt shouldn't cause a panic. Should people become cautious of him? Sure. Should the store ask him to leave? If they want to. But there's no reason to start panicking.

Why do gun people get away with behaving like South Park caricatures? Why doesn't their logic have to make sense?

bonercop

Overreacting about someone legally using their rights is what's childish.

You okay with someone yelling about a fire in a crowd?

He shouldn't carry a gun into a store.

And if he causes a panic, it is 100% his fault.

WedgeX

Banned
People who panic at the sight of a gun cause the people with the guns to shoot them. Guns don't kill people, people who panic at the sight of guns kill people.

Well you know, people always want to try to make that as one of those things, well how do you, how do you slice this particularly tough sort of ethical question. First of all, from what I understand from sportsmen, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate shooting, the human body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the gunman and not attacking the guns.

Davidion

You're right; there are guardsmen walking around NYC with rifles in plain sight all the time and few people bat an eyelash.

But something seems to be missing here...

Oh right, that's because this guy is a no-name yokel whom no one has any reason to bequeathe authority to. Yeah in which case everyone's pretty much justified in panicking.

This is what happens when you have people "smart" enough to demand freedoms but too stupid to understand basic social mores and behavior.

Koomaster

Statements like this make me think people don't understand that guns are dangerous. I don't know some random stranger carting a gun around while he goes shopping. Why should I not panic and maybe call the police and gtfo of the store if I think mine and others lives may be in danger?

There is no reason to carry a gun around with you out in the open unless you want to intimidate others.

So where does the freedom to carry guns end? Can someone just walk around with an unloaded assault rifle in their hands pointing it at people. Don't see why not at this point. This is where we are headed.

Chumly

Lets see so this guy can either be a mentally unstable killer or a mentally unstable gun freak. Frankly I dont like the chances.

i cant tell if you people are serious

Guy with gun != psychotic mass murderer. When you first see a man with a gun, you shouldn't jump to the conclusion that a mass murder is about to happen. It's obviously something many aren't comfortable with, but that doesn't make it worth panicking. One thing to realize is that there are a lot of people that carry around pistols as concealed firearms. These people are just as dangerous as him. He just isn't concealed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That circumstance happens to you more often than you think. Ever walked on a sidewalk in the same direction as traffic? How simple would it be for a driver to intentionally speed up over the curb and run you over? I think what most people are doing is assuming the guy is dangerous or deranged because he is carrying a gun. They view him as a person more willing to harm because he has the gun. That is an assumption that should not be made.

Do you even know what you're saying?

Cars are first and foremost for getting around. That's their primary purpose. A guy could come at me with a vacuum cleaner and bash my head in, too, but I'll not assume that's his primary purpose with the device.

A gun is for killing. That's it.

PBY

Banned
Guy with gun != psychotic mass murderer. When you first see a man with a gun, you shouldn't jump to the conclusion that a mass murder is about to happen. It's obviously something many aren't comfortable with, but that doesn't make it worth panicking. One thing to realize is that there are a lot of people that carry around pistols as concealed firearms. These people are just as dangerous as him. He just isn't concealed.

Guy with gun in store for no reason? ummmm, yeah that may not be the only explanation, but thats sure as hell where my mind is going. How is that even in question? this isn't the goddamn wild west.

hym

Banned
Usually I don't support escalations that may cause deaths but I really would like to see this guy walk into a bank.

gcubed

I applaud this. In the effort to be pro gun they are being embarrassingly stupid and only serve to help the argument against them

Izayoi

Banned
I own guns, and that statement is total bullshit. They are tools used for killing, they are not toys, they should make you afraid when random people are flashing them in public.

I wonder how the people in the store trying to make a "point" would feel if a guy that looked like this:

Strolled in carrying a rifle and claiming he was just expressing his god given right to bear arms. I get the feeling they'd be running in the other direction and calling the police.

epmode

Cars are first and foremost for getting around. That's their primary purpose. A guy could come at me with a vacuum cleaner and bash my head in, too, but I'll not assume that's his primary purpose with the device.

Yeah, I love when the car argument comes out. The best part is that you need a license to drive a car.

This is fucking crazy. People shouldn't be afraid of the guy with gun? You do know the sole purpose of a gun is to kill or maim? Why the fuck do you need that shopping? It blows my mind people defend these actions.

I don't see how that has to do with anything. The argument put forward was "This guy could easily kill me and others with extremely little force". That is true. The same is true in many other cases. You put your life in other people's hands all the time. And pedestrians DO get run over. It's not some absurd situation I'm bringing up. Personally, I feel quite uncomfortable walking in the same direction as traffic. I don't like how it feels. Not knowing if cars speeding behind me aren't fucking up with me being the victim. I also wouldn't like being around a person with a gun. I don't make the assumption that the person is a killer or that I am in any immediate danger. It is just off-putting. It would make me uncomfortable and I might leave. If I was the store owner, I'd ask the person to leave since it obviously is upsetting my customers. But there's no reason to panic.

PBY

Banned
I don't see how that has to do with anything. The argument put forward was "This guy could easily kill me and others with extremely little force". That is true. The same is true in many other cases. You put your life in other people's hands all the time. And pedestrians DO get run over. It's not some absurd situation I'm bringing up. Personally, I feel quite uncomfortable walking in the same direction as traffic. I don't like how it feels. Not knowing if cars speeding behind me aren't fucking up with me being the victim. I also wouldn't like being around a person with a gun. I don't make the assumption that the person is a killer or that I am in any immediate danger. It is just off-putting. It would make me uncomfortable and I might leave. If I was the store owner, I'd ask the person to leave since it obviously is upsetting my customers. But there's no reason to panic.

I mean... how can anyone argue with this? This is... just... wow.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

What are you even talking about

I wonder how the people in the store trying to make a "point" would feel if a guy that looked like this:

Strolled in carrying a rifle and claiming he was just expressing his god given right to bear arms. I get the feeling they'd be running in the other direction and calling the police.

I think he looks like an upstanding american citizen :) , I certainly would not be afraid

Why is he carrying a gun to a store? The car analogy is absurd. Cars are a means of transport, that's their function. Sure there is an inherent danger in their use but, without one people wouldn't be able to meet the expectations of how far they'd be able to move with how society is structured in the present day. Could someone veer off and plough through pedestrians? Sure. When you see a car on the road is that what you're expecting to happen? Of course not. You're thinking whoever it is is headed somewhere

So then a guy in a store with a gun. What are fellow shoppers supposed to think? Either he's just carrying it which is pretty obnoxious on its own or, he's intending to use it. If he isn't intending on using the gun it follows that the gun is serving no purpose being on his person. So why didn't he leave it in the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom