• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I'm actually starting to get a little bit nervous about my summer running goals. Last year I started in with some really heavy running (run to work 6.5 trail miles every day and run home two or so times as well) and I enjoyed the heck out of it. I was all planned out on doing some long trail ultramarathons this summer, but my knee (had ACL surgery a few years back) just seems to be getting balky on me. I'm being careful and working back into things really slowly, but it's really frustrating to know that I have the endurance for longer runs, but to have to keep it short to avoid injury. Hopefully it resolves well and I can get back at it soon.

I'm actually starting to get a little bit nervous about my summer running goals. Last year I started in with some really heavy running (run to work 6.5 trail miles every day and run home two or so times as well) and I enjoyed the heck out of it. I was all planned out on doing some long trail ultramarathons this summer, but my knee (had ACL surgery a few years back) just seems to be getting balky on me. I'm being careful and working back into things really slowly, but it's really frustrating to know that I have the endurance for longer runs, but to have to keep it short to avoid injury. Hopefully it resolves well and I can get back at it soon.

Have you considered cross training on a bicycle? It would allow you build endurance while putting alot less strain on your knee.

Have you considered cross training on a bicycle? It would allow you build endurance while putting alot less strain on your knee.

Yeah, I know that I probably should, I just like running much more than biking. Plus with all the dark and rain here in the Pacific Northwest I'm always a little more nervous about getting hit by a car on my bike.

Yeah, I know that I probably should, I just like running much more than biking. Plus with all the dark and rain here in the Pacific Northwest I'm always a little more nervous about getting hit by a car on my bike.

find a good greenway. I just went on an awesome 30 mile ride and never once had to interact with traffic! :D

Bealost

Ok folks, I have a couple of questions! I've been running for awhile (off and on for a year now as well as a bunch of weight lifting. I signed up for a 5k in June and am going to start running a lot more to get ready for it (probably something like 12-15 miles/week). Almost all of my running is on trails, I'd say <10 % is on a flat even packed durst surface or asphalt. How important is getting perfect shoes etc is it considering that the ground I'm running on is all super uneven anyways?

My next question is since I have stopped lifting and been running more I've had some pain in my right knee that comes and goes. Sprinting taking big strides makes it feel better, long periods (a mile or more) or slower jogging aggravates it, as well as walking down stairs. No pain when I just put weight on it or flex it in a single leg squat, with just a little pain after I pick that leg up after doing it. I've taken to icing it after I run/hike and taking an ibuprofen proactively on those days. Any advice? I was considering trying out some kind of compressive brace. Seeing a doctor about it just isn't an option right at the moment.

Cyan

Banned
I think you'd be surprised. When I'm out running and pass someone slower and heavier, my thought process is that they're the folks who are willing to get up and do something about their health/weight.

Pretty much. I'm a skinny dude who runs pretty fast, and I definitely don't look down on anyone larger or slower or whatever. When I am running, all other runners are my brethren!

Bealost

Pretty much. I'm a skinny dude who runs pretty fast, and I definitely don't look down on anyone larger or slower or whatever. When I am running, all other runners are my brethren!

It's funny how that attitude extends into the gym too. Guys (and girls) most of us have been there. Anyone who isn't an asshole will give you props just for being there, either in the gym or on the road/trail. That is, after all, more than most people do.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I run between 8k to 10k every 2 days but I cannot get my speed up any tips? 10k in about 55-57 min.

ruxtpin

Banned
I run between 8k to 10k every 2 days but I cannot get my speed up any tips? 10k in about 55-57 min.

Do some training that's focused on speed-work. I'd also work on distance, because if you train your body to run longer, a byproduct is running faster for a shorter period of time (I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me). But I know that after doing half-marathons and fulls - running a 5K at a much faster pace is a lot easier.

Bealost

For what it's worth I think I just self-diagnosed myself with IBTS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

ITBS can result from one or more of the following training habits, anatomical abnormalities, or muscular imbalances:

Training habits:

* Always running on a banked surface (such as the shoulder of a road or an indoor track) bends the downhill leg slightly inward and causes extreme stretching of the band against the femur Yup
* Inadequate warm-up or cool-down Yup
* Excessive up-hill and down-hill running Yup
* In cycling, having the feet "toed-in" to an excessive angle
* Running up and down stairs Yup
* Hiking long distances Yup
* Rowing

so looks like a week off/foam rolling/stretching/better warm ups and ICE+NSAIDs in my future.

Get'sMad

Cool thread.

Been back at it trying to shed off my winter inactivity/booze weight. I attempted to start up again a month ago but sprained the hell out of my foot on like my 6th day back at it and that took longer than I expected for it feel fully healed again (I've never sprained my foot before, usually I have quad issues if I get hurt).

This time taking it lighter to ease my way back in. Trying to get back up to 5/10K shape like I was last spring. Been doing a 2 - 3 miles at a steady pace. Feeling a lot better this time as well especially since I quit smoking 2 months ago (man what a difference this has made) and have gone on a pretty strict diet.

feels good man.

I started running ~5k every other day again now to try and shed some excess weight and get back into shape. I have developed some lower-back pain though, probably from sitting too much. It was really bad for a week a couple of months ago and then went away completely after a week. However, it came back a few weeks later, it has lessened now but I still feel that my back is a bit tight and there is slight pain if I bend forward or something. I still run though, hope it is fine, and I try to keep a better posture now whenever I sit and try to keep my back straight when I run as well.

I have gone to a podiatrist many months ago and he recommended orthotics for me because apparently I have flat feet. I have not got them yet because funds are low at the moment and I do not want to spend the extra cash on them.
I also get sore feet often when I run (and always when I skate or snowboard, even though I rarely do those activities) which is the main reason that I need to stop sometimes because it gets unbearable and I need to give it a rest after a certain distance. This was one of the reasons I originally sought a podiatrist. The foot pain is in the middle of my foot, but it feels as though it is on top of my foot (though it might not be). Anyone ever experience this and know the cause of this?

I am also looking into the Vibram Five Fingers shoes and perhaps giving those a try. Looked at them some months ago but didn't get them, currently wearing an Asic with some generic superfeet inserts (think I will just get rid of them since they don't help with my foot pain which was the reason I got them originally). I am not sure if I should though given my apparent flat-footedness (or at least lower arch) that the podiatrist said I have. I read some people who said these shoes helped them develop their foot so that they did not even need to use orthotics after a while, but I am not sure how true those testimonials are.

Danielsan

Working 6 days a week, leaving home at 7.15am and getting back at 7.10pm has really put a damper on my running progress. I've been trying to get at least one run in every week, but it's been exceptionally hard to motivate myself. If I get a run in it's usually a 6.5km run in 30-35 minutes at night.

That said. I bought myself a new pair of Asics last week to replace my worn down entry model Asics. And last saturday I set a new personal distance record. I ran 15.17km in 1 hour and 18 minutes. My legs were hurting a bit afterwards, but it was totally worth it.

gdt

Heyyyy, this thread could be very useful for me.

I'm currently training to pass a police exam in May (the 14th-22nd, haven't gotten my specific test date yet), and I need to be able to do 1.5miles in 15:56. I can run (pushing myself to the limit) that in 17:59, probably a bit faster now (did 18:05 yesterday semi leisurely).

How can I chop those minutes off in time? Do I increase my run to 3miles (will that in turn increase my 1.5m speed)? Or keep pushing myself running 1.5 over and over (well, every other day)?

Edit: Sidenote, I'm definitely a bit overweight now, but I've been dieting and working out hardcore for about 2 months now. I locked down my diet 3 or so weeks ago and now the weight is melting off. So I expect/hope the running will get easier as I lose more and more weight.

I took the advice in this thread, and started running 3 miles. Since then, I've re-timed my 1.5 twice, first time was 16:22 and second was 16:09. Like a boss. I'm back to running 3 miles, and thinking on upping that to 4.5 sooner than later. I'm gonna fuck that test in the ass. I want to score as high as possible.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Working 6 days a week, leaving home at 7.15am and getting back at 7.10pm has really put a damper on my running progress. I've been trying to get at least one run in every week, but it's been exceptionally hard to motivate myself. If I get a run in it's usually a 6.5km run in 30-35 minutes at night.

That said. I bought myself a new pair of Asics last week to replace my worn down entry model Asics. And last saturday I set a new personal distance record. I ran 15.17km in 1 hour and 18 minutes. My legs were hurting a bit afterwards, but it was totally worth it.

I have a very similar working schedule but I try to run at least 3 times a week 5km each time. It's hard but doable, I end really tired but as you say is totally worth it.

i agreed to run the tough mudder a month from now and havent really been running. today was the first day back. a month is not a lot of time to get in shape for a race like that. well, we'll see how it goes.

My wife and I just had a great vacation on Maui this last week. Had to take one day off the beaches for a trail run though, and man, it was one of the best of my life. Haleakala Crater, summit to Halemau'u trailhead via Sliding Sands and Halemau'u trails. The views and scenery were just incredible during the run, though my quads are feeling it a bit today (11.5 miles, >4,500 feet of elevation change, all at 7,000-10,000 feet of altitude, gnarly footing). Took me about 2.5 hours with some stopping to take pics (below) and jogging most of the way. Seriously try it if you are ever on Maui, though feel free to hike and not run if you are not insane like me.

314162_10150710512634161_560494160_9279987_1426907286_n.jpg

Alrix

How can I tell if I should go for minimalist running shoes? I have low arches and tend to get small injuries from time to time...plantar fasciitis, shin splints, knee issues, on top of having sore feet. I recently tried that dr. scholls foot mapping thing, but the inserts have made my feet more achy, not less. Granted I've been running in pretty worn out running shoes that I'm not sure were right for my feet in the first place.

Anyway I've been reading about how the minimalist/barefoot shoes get your form right and prevent injuries. I really just want a way to find out what's best for me. Any suggestions?

Mumei

I've been thinking about running for a few years. A friend of mine used to run track in high school, got out of shape and overweight, and then lost the weight. Following a rather unfortunate break-up, he started taking running more seriously, and nowadays (a few years later), he's doing regular five mile runs. And I think anyone can recognize how having a friend go through that can be its own form of peer pressure.

I think the main thing blocking me from doing it is that I hate jogging and I don't have the stamina for running; I get tired very quickly. I'm not starting from quite 'couch'; I get about three miles of speed walking (faster than I'd jog, anyway) a day, but it's rather close and that obviously isn't helping my running. I used to love running when I was younger, but after elementary school I just stopped playing outside the way I used to.

I seem to remember reading a website once upon a time that had a guide to getting started; it wasn't the podcast in the OP, but a text thing that basically had a week-by-week guide of what your goals for each stage should be.

Does anyone know or remember what I'm talking about?

How can I tell if I should go for minimalist running shoes? I have low arches and tend to get small injuries from time to time...plantar fasciitis, shin splints, knee issues, on top of having sore feet. I recently tried that dr. scholls foot mapping thing, but the inserts have made my feet more achy, not less. Granted I've been running in pretty worn out running shoes that I'm not sure were right for my feet in the first place.

Anyway I've been reading about how the minimalist/barefoot shoes get your form right and prevent injuries. I really just want a way to find out what's best for me. Any suggestions?

So I run fairly often in minimalist shoes (Vibram Biklas) and I'm in low heel drop shoes (< 4mm Brooks Pure Grit) all of the rest of the time running like 30-40 miles a week. From what I've read and seen myself not everyone can really go all out in minimal shoes, but they can be really helpful to use as at least part of a training regimen for just about everybody. Do you have a nice grassy field someplace by you? A good way to start before you drop $90 on a pair of Vibrams would be to just go to that place during your normal run, kick off your shoes and just run for 10 min barefoot. That can start to get you the idea of how your feet hold up to running barefoot and just a little bit of that can help to fix up stride issues.

As you've already noted, it's not really the barefoot shoes that help, but the barefoot / forefoot stride that helps. So you can totally wear normally running shoes and just do some barefoot practice like the above to work on your form. Then if it's going well and you enjoy it you can start trying to run with some actual minimal shoes. Just be really careful to take it slow, just wear them for a little bit at a time (I still don't use the totally minimal shoes for my long runs) to get used to the feel, work on your form and build up the muscles in your toes / feet / ankles.

There are some good running form videos that you can catch on youtube if you wish. I think this one is a good start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaYQwq6TnXY&list=PL29803EE795C0A4F1&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Row

Banned
I've been thinking about running for a few years. A friend of mine used to run track in high school, got out of shape and overweight, and then lost the weight. Following a rather unfortunate break-up, he started taking running more seriously, and nowadays (a few years later), he's doing regular five mile runs. And I think anyone can recognize how having a friend go through that can be its own form of peer pressure.

I think the main thing blocking me from doing it is that I hate jogging and I don't have the stamina for running; I get tired very quickly. I'm not starting from quite 'couch'; I get about three miles of speed walking (faster than I'd jog, anyway) a day, but it's rather close and that obviously isn't helping my running. I used to love running when I was younger, but after elementary school I just stopped playing outside the way I used to.

I seem to remember reading a website once upon a time that had a guide to getting started; it wasn't the podcast in the OP, but a text thing that basically had a week-by-week guide of what your goals for each stage should be.

Couch to 5k? http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

if you are interested in doing longer runs, i think hal higdon's guides are very good.

http://www.halhigdon.com/

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Picked up a pair of NB Minimus MT20s as my entry shoes into the world of running. Have never been a distance runner at all and have always struggled, but on our cruise I recently commit to doing a 5K on the ship since they had a neatly labeled track and I'd been working out for well over 8 months now.

Got that 5K done on the first shot, and it was surprisingly pretty easy (this was pre-Minimus shoes, btw). Best thing was that I was using other people to keep pace. I think before I'd always blow a ton of energy up front trying to go fast and never left anything in the tank. Not sure how long it ultimately took me, but I'd guess about 25-30 minutes based on my approximations of what time I started and finished.

Apparently I don't have any problems with heel-striking when I run...I actually think I have a problem that I use too much of the front of my foot when I run. When I completed the 5K it was like my calves were propelling me forward when I tried walking a cooldown lap. I'd clearly over-stretched them or something from the run.

Fast forward back to my neighborhood which is pretty hilly and I banged off what I'd guess to be about 2 miles before I didn't feel comfortable going on (had a stomach cramp for some reason after my first 10 steps, but ran it out anyways since it didn't hurt that bad). Seems like the hills take more out of you, even though there is both up and downhill sections equally since I'm running in circles? Seems like even going downhill takes a different skill and doesn't equal "easier" like one may think.

Watched some videos online about good running from and tried to focus on keeping my arms going back and forth and not across my body. Tried to get a mid-foot strike going but was pretty much footpad striking the whole time. Shoulders are probably a lot tighter than they should be, had to relax my shoulders a lot of times over the run. Hands kept closed but not tight for the duration, not a problem there. Probably a lot more bounce than I should which may be because of my footpad strike instead of a midfoot?

Either way, going to try and use running as my go-to cardio activity. Don't really want to get into any distances much longer than a 5K, however. I'd rather do multiple 5Ks throughout the day than try and bang out a marathon.

Track runner chiming in here. I'm a sprinter, so if anyone has any training questions or any questions at all feel free to ask. I'm going to read through this thread, as it seems more marathon oriented and I cant run more than like 4 miles

CrankyJay

Banned
I suck at running. Always have. But I've been on a health kick and currently in Florida on vacation so it's beautiful to run here. My issue is my form and stamina. I feel like my feet stomp whener I run and after a shirt while my shins and calves get sore. My breathing isn't the best either. I try to run and breathe to a cadence but after awhile I lose it and am sucking in air. I have always been like this. My stats are 32 years of age, 6'2 and 205 pounds. Legs are thin but I'm a bit top heavy.

Just pains me when my feet clomp and others can run silently. Anyway, I got in about 2 miles this morning. A little more each day.

Shadybiz

I suck at running. Always have. But I've been on a health kick and currently in Florida on vacation so it's beautiful to run here. My issue is my form and stamina. I feel like my feet stomp whener I run and after a shirt while my shins and calves get sore. My breathing isn't the best either. I try to run and breathe to a cadence but after awhile I lose it and am sucking in air. I have always been like this. My stats are 32 years of age, 6'2 and 205 pounds. Legs are thin but I'm a bit top heavy.

Just pains me when my feet clomp and others can run silently. Anyway, I got in about 2 miles this morning. A little more each day.

You're actually fairly close to me (32 yrs, 5'11", and 185, also a bit top heavy). I have the shin problem too, and I used to feel like my feet were clomping around. What I found that helped was running in a sort of side to side motion..hard to describe, almost like the motion you would use to roller skate. You would keep your weight more on the insides of your feet. This took alot of stress off the shins, and helped me go further. Also taking steps that were shorter but quicker helped.

Pick good music with a beat you can run to. I don't know why, but I find that this helps me keep a rhythm with my breathing.

Didn't know this thread existed until today! I am pretty much a beginner, but have been improving consistently. I wanted to run the Broad Street race in Philly today, but I had a Christening to go to. Better luck next year, I guess. Not sure if I was ready for 10 miles anyway; most I've ever done is a 10K.

Edit: Congrats xzoowy! That's a pretty wicked achievement!

falconzss

Today I have ran the Quebec City International Half-Marathon.
I did the distance in 1h27min (official chip time) and finished 87 out of 1300 participants. I am quite happy with my performance !

Here is my run viewed from Garmin Connect

Congrats!
Hope to get into that range someday.

Yesterday, I've finished my first Half-Marathon with an official chip time of 1h 45min 10sec.
Those six weeks of training paid off. Can't wait for the next one.

Congrats!
Hope to get into that range someday.

Yesterday, I've finished my first Half-Marathon with an official chip time of 1h 45min 10sec.
Those six weeks of training paid off. Can't wait for the next one.

Awesome job man! Personally Half-Marathons are my favorite distance. Just the perfect amount. I finished one in Carmel / Big Sur Half-Marathon and it was pretty fantastic.

I just made the mistake of upping my speed from a 7:50 to a 7:10 for a 4 mile route I love and bruised a damn bone in my foot. Gah serves me right.

falconzss

Awesome job man! Personally Half-Marathons are my favorite distance. Just the perfect amount. I finished one in Carmel / Big Sur Half-Marathon and it was pretty fantastic.

I just made the mistake of upping my speed from a 7:50 to a 7:10 for a 4 mile route I love and bruised a damn bone in my foot. Gah serves me right.

Thanks. Finishing the run with a bruised bone is impressive. Hope you didn't have any further problems.

I'm quite surprised that my legs don't feel heavy at all, even though that could still happen tomorrow. Only sore knees but i hope that's because they haven't adapted to the increased stress i put on them in the last few weeks.

XenoRaven

Hey look, a running thread.

I have a couple questions.

First, I need to get some new running shoes. Any suggestions? I kind of go on and off with running. But when I'm on, I usually run 3 days a week on a 4-mile route. I may be looking to expand that but I'm not sure.

Second, and slightly more complicated. I've been having some knee troubles. I went to a doctor about it and he didn't really find anything wrong with my knees, but he did remark that I have really tight hamstrings and loose quads, and it may be putting an unusual amount of stress on my knees. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I need to get back into a routine of stretching my hamstrings and exercising my quads to try and combat it, since I've found that doing nothing is seemingly making things worse. Any other tips?

Hey look, a running thread.

I have a couple questions.

First, I need to get some new running shoes. Any suggestions? I kind of go on and off with running. But when I'm on, I usually run 3 days a week on a 4-mile route. I may be looking to expand that but I'm not sure.

Second, and slightly more complicated. I've been having some knee troubles. I went to a doctor about it and he didn't really find anything wrong with my knees, but he did remark that I have really tight hamstrings and loose quads, and it may be putting an unusual amount of stress on my knees. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I need to get back into a routine of stretching my hamstrings and exercising my quads to try and combat it, since I've found that doing nothing is seemingly making things worse. Any other tips?

I have the EXACT same problem...If you find a solution to this problem, let me know pronto haha

kottila

Signed up for the endomondo group. I have some knee problems as well. After my last excercsise before my first (and only) half marathon I started feeling something in the knees that wouldn't go away and after the race they hurt quite a bit. Now, 2 months later I still feel something in them (not directly pain) especially when running up or down mountains.

I really like running upwards, hills, mountains etc. Tomorrow I'm running the route of a four mountain race, including going up (and down) these mountains (the one in the centre and the one on the left (643 and 600 meters over sealevel), according to my GPS it's a 21k long route with 1300-1400 meter elevation

ulriken3.jpg

My personal stats:

half marathon.: 1.48.15 (a hilly race)
10km: around 50.44 (set during the half marathon!)
5k: 24.16 (during a longer run)

thinking of doing a new flatter half marathon early in the fall to improve on the personal record.

xzoowy

Just did my first official sub 40min 10k last Sunday, I registered a time of 39m.18s.
My next milestone is to complete a full marathon, I might try that this August.

Row

Banned
anyone using nike+ to track their runs finding the update to be garbage in terms of the actually run tracking? When in standby the app just counts time for me, and not distance, unlike pre-update.

anyone using nike+ to track their runs finding the update to be garbage in terms of the actually run tracking? When in standby the app just counts time for me, and not distance, unlike pre-update.

I use a nano with Nike+ and it can be over or under a .10 of a mile depending . I usually cross reference google maps to calibrate a more accurate distance.
Now on the Iphone i have no problems with the accuracy b/c of the GPS . Thanks for giving a heads up on the update. maybe i should avoid it. Is this the update taht shows on my phone now?It is posted todays date . It says it is a bug fix.

Signed up for the endomondo group. I have some knee problems as well. After my last excercsise before my first (and only) half marathon I started feeling something in the knees that wouldn't go away and after the race they hurt quite a bit. Now, 2 months later I still feel something in them (not directly pain) especially when running up or down mountains.

I really like running upwards, hills, mountains etc. Tomorrow I'm running the route of a four mountain race, including going up (and down) these mountains (the one in the centre and the one on the left (643 and 600 meters over sealevel), according to my GPS it's a 21k long route with 1300-1400 meter elevation

ulriken3.jpg

My personal stats:

half marathon.: 1.48.15 (a hilly race)
10km: around 50.44 (set during the half marathon!)
5k: 24.16 (during a longer run)

thinking of doing a new flatter half marathon early in the fall to improve on the personal record.

That is a great time for such hilly terrain on the half. I can only manage 1:51 on the streets and can't imagine keeping that pace climbing to those elevations.
5k:19:40
10K: 45:26
1M: 6:03

Ferny

Wish Nike+ still had groups cause all the my runs and stuff I use with them. Would be cool to have some GAF members to compare and discuss numbers.

Wish Nike+ still had groups cause all the my runs and stuff I use with them. Would be cool to have some GAF members to compare and discuss numbers.

They used to 2 years ago. They removed it and still haven't fucking added it back. Nike and Microsoft keeping touting social features and keep fucking pulling them.

My dad was in a serious accident and my running schedule took a nosedive past month and a half. Ran 4x this week so far. I play my indoor soccer game today, then I will do my 5th run. Averaging 5k a run right now, but running indoors as the air quality is shit and it's ~100 degrees outside.

I'm hoping to do some 5k's again in the fall. I've only done 1 so far which is highly disappointing.

BTW i've been looking into nike fuel. My current score is 260,283. What the hell does that translate to?

Row

Banned
Beats me, but I ran 10k today and it went up by a couple thousand. Seems pretty stupid considering Nike+ apps/products don't have support for things such as cycling, hiking, etc. and the slogan for nike fuel is "everything counts"

As a side note, I was 6km shy of 300km logged into nike+ this month, although one of my runs didn't register because of the update being crap on day 1 and would have put me over.

TwiztidElf

3hr53min in todays Gold Coast Marathon.
Very happy with that time.
One and only for me. Back to halves and 10ks.
Was cruising along happily with the 3.45 pacerunner and blew up at 37k.
Nothing could prepare me for the pain I experienced in that last 4k.

Sleepy

I had my first "minimalist-stride" run today after years of "heel-strike" running. Difficult to pick up at first. My right leg got it, but my left just wanted to continue business as usual. From what I have read, it is more of a flat-foot strike, correct? It's difficult to judge the correct hit while running. Also, I used my current running shoes, Asics Cumulus, but am looking for new minimalist shoes. Any suggestions? How are the Nike Free?

Top Bottom