• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

tim1138

Something somewhat self contained. Clear beginning and end. I'm not opposed to Superhero comics, I read and liked The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween e.g. Also read Hush but I didn't like that one.

I read lots of Issues of The Walking Dead and found it very enjoyable too. Got to a point where I had enough though and an ending not in sight, so I stopped.

Loved Hellboy. Still want to branch out into BPRD sometime in the future.
Also have Watchmen on my agenda.

Otherwise I'm not really knowledgeable about what even exists to be honest...
I only hear and read about mainstream news when it comes to comics.

Some recommendations:

Planetary by Warren Ellis and John Cassady - A 27 issue series that follows a secret organization that uncovers the mysteries of the world. It borrows pretty frequently from pop culture and Marvel/DC, but you don't need to get the references to enjoy the book.

Meteor Men by Jeff Parker and Sandy Jarrell - A teenage coming of age story set against the backdrop of an alien invasion

The Omega Men by Tom King and Barnaby Bagenda - A 12 issue space opera full of political intrigue.

Fear Agent by Rick Remender and Tony Moore - A sci-fi adventure heavily influenced by 50s pulp style stories

The Manhattan Projects by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra - An alt history book about the scientists behind the development of the atom bomb that asks "what if these people were giant assholes?"

And since you loved Hellboy, then just dive into everything in the Mignola-verse. BPRD, Abe Sapien, it's all amazing.

Top ten ordered comics of January:
  1. U.S.AVENGERS #1
  2. BATMAN #14
  3. BATMAN #15
  4. JUSTICE LEAGUE/POWER RANGERS #1
  5. THE WALKING DEAD #162
  6. ALL-STAR BATMAN #6
  7. JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD #3
  8. MONSTERS UNLEASHED #1
  9. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23
  10. JUSTICE LEAGUE #12

Reminder that USAvengers had a crazy amount of variant covers like the state ones etc.

Top ten ordered comics of January:
  1. U.S.AVENGERS #1
  2. BATMAN #14
  3. BATMAN #15
  4. JUSTICE LEAGUE/POWER RANGERS #1
  5. THE WALKING DEAD #162
  6. ALL-STAR BATMAN #6
  7. JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD #3
  8. MONSTERS UNLEASHED #1
  9. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23
  10. JUSTICE LEAGUE #12

Reminder that USAvengers had a crazy amount of variant covers like the state ones etc.

We are doomed with Hitch on JL forever. :(

Edit: That probably is a JL VS SS crossover too that isn't even by him, but still.

Edit2: Is marvel still overshipping? Or does this not include those?

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I didn't say Remender was a bad writer. I said that he's not "amazing." If someone is truly that impressed with his writing, then I think they should read some other great literature to compare to.

Also, no to your question at the end. I never said all comic book writers were bad. I think you took my whole post a way I didn't mean at all.
Looking at it now, I don't think I read it right. It was an overly-defensive reaction, but I do think that the issue I had was that your post came off as basically saying that comic fans are too easily impressed by their preferred artistic medium, and that they should read books to see what actual amazing writing is like. I'm realizing you probably didn't mean it that way, but that's how I interpreted it and that's why I reacted that way. I do still think there is a flaw in the logic of comparing the two, though, because they are distinctly different mediums even if they are in the same neighborhood.

At the same time, there's literally zero downside to ever reading a book, so I'll always encourage that.
I think you need some background for that

I think the same thing every time I see someone recommend it, but in reality you don't, because they give you the necessary information. Though I do think having some experience with X-Men comics helps.

We are doomed with Hitch on JL forever. :(

Edit: That probably is a JL VS SS crossover too that isn't even by him, but still.

Edit2: Is marvel still overshipping? Or does this not include those?
Still overshipping. The top 300 will be interesting to see since their unit and dollar share has such a large gap.

Still overshipping. The top 300 will be interesting to see since their unit and dollar share has such a large gap.

You would think with how much money they are potentially losing with this they would stop doing it and try something else that could actually sell them more copies.

It seems like such a weird decision.

ElNarez

Banned

You can already see it. Units are up 7 points over January 2016, while dollar share is only up less than one point. It says that someone's been dumping free books out there to inflate the totals.

mreddie

SWARRRS2017001_cov.jpg
Secret Warriors #1 cover, confirmed to start as a Secret Emp tie in.

I just startet reading Sandman without knowing anything about it. Loved American Gods and Good Omens and wanted to read something else/different from Gaiman.

Not quite sure where to put it yet. I like the way it flows so far, but I really don't like that this connects with known IPs so much.
Bats and Constantine
came out of nowhere for me and I really don't like interconnected stories too much. From those 2 pictures I've seen before it felt like its own thing to me. The rest, I'm liking very much so far. Feels very much like a 80s fantasy. I'm not that far in yet, only read the first two issues (The Absolute Sandman is a fantastic set though. The quality is amazing!)

A bit of background info: Haven't grown up with American comics, much more of a European comics guy (Spirou & Fantasio, Asterix, Don Rosa's Scrooge McDuck...), but I really dig the Hellboy comics and don't mind the occasional stuff like the exceptional Hawkeye run a few years back. Other than that I still find it hard to get into the flow of American comics and it's tropes. Generally not a fan of trying to include as much characters as possible into a story to create cross selling value.

Sandman doesn't really get a grip on its own identity until the end of the first volume so like issue 6? Theres an issue before then called 24 hours which is fucking great.

You already hit the peak amount of crossover between Sandman and the rest of the Vertigo/DC universe. I think Constantine makes more appearances but my memory is rusty. Batman doesn't show up until the very end as a background character in one panel.

So what trade continues from Ms. Marvel Last Days? Yesterday, I got a text from the library saying I got a Ms. Marvel on hold which I thought was weird since I already checked out Ms. Marvels last year and when I got there it was Ms. Marvel Civil War II. I don't remember putting this on hold, but I checked it out anyways.

It looks like it takes place far off from where I was last. At the end of Last Days
There was like some kind of rift floating above NYC and Kamala met Captain Marvel and everyone was in school preparing for the end.
What book continues from there?

So what trade continues from Ms. Marvel Last Days? Yesterday, I got a text from the library saying I got a Ms. Marvel on hold which I thought was weird since I already checked out Ms. Marvels last year and when I got there it was Ms. Marvel Civil War II. I don't remember putting this on hold, but I checked it out anyways.

It looks like it takes place far off from where I was last. At the end of Last Days
There was like some kind of rift floating above NYC and Kamala met Captain Marvel and everyone was in school preparing for the end.
What book continues from there?

The rift was caused by Time Runs Out/Secret Wars. "The Marvel Universe was DESTROYED! The heroes of Earth-616 and Earth-1610 were POWERLESS to save it! NOW, ALL THAT REMAINS.....IS BATTLEWORLD!"

The next Ms. Marvel volume is Vol 5: Super Famous. Civil War II is Vol 6.

error4041

I have high hopes for Secret Warriors, Rosenburg has put out some fantastic stuff with Marvel. and the proposed conflict between Daisy and Khamela and how to run a team is a great premise.

Sandfox

I have high hopes for Secret Warriors, Rosenburg has put out some fantastic stuff with Marvel. and the proposed conflict between Daisy and Khamela and how to run a team is a great premise.

I would like to see Rosenberg get a big name book when the changes come.

Titan has so many video game licenses.

Tekken
Dark Souls
Dishonored
Assassin's Creed
Deus Ex
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War III (yeah, it's a tabletop game but this is specifically tied in to post-DOW2 events, and the Blood Ravens were created for Dawn of War)

I'm probably missing a few as well. I think only Dark Horse has a similar amount, they've got:

Halo
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Tomb Raider
Call of Duty

DH published the Valve comics as well. Again, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Nudull

Banned
Titan has so many video game licenses.

Tekken
Dark Souls
Dishonored
Assassin's Creed
Deus Ex
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War III (yeah, it's a tabletop game but this is specifically tied in to post-DOW2 events, and the Blood Ravens were created for Dawn of War)

I'm probably missing a few as well. I think only Dark Horse has a similar amount, they've got:

Halo
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Tomb Raider
Call of Duty

DH published the Valve comics as well. Again, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Didn't Dark Horse also take over publishing Blizzard stuff from DC/Wildstorm?

Didn't Dark Horse also take over publishing Blizzard stuff from DC/Wildstorm?

They did. You would think I'd remember that given that I own the first World of Warcraft: Chronicle book (it was a Secret Santa present, but still).

Not sure what else they have planned. Overwatch: First Strike/The Omnic Crisis was cancelled awhile back. There was an Overwatch art book (a different one from the Collector's Edition one) planned as well but I've heard nothing about it since.

I'm dead. Don't revive me.

Literally the best bombshell statue ever

DCBS ARE LIKE... YOU ONLY HAVE ONE ORDER LEFT HUH... FUCK YOU.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU. Definitely in for those top 2 Harleys and probably the Starfy Bombshell even though I don't buy Bombshells anymore.

In other news, LMAO they really are just swapping the base on the BvS WW statue for the JL movie.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
John Wick Chapter 2 was amazing and better then the great first part in every aspect. Wasnt there a comic based on the first movie, too?

Regarding Comics, gonna read Detective Comics tonight! Excited for some more Batwoman!

Messi

God dammit! Total wallet destruction, and Messi only reporting half the damage.

DC Cover Girls Death Lau statue

DC Harley's Holiday statue

Joker/Harley Bookends

Batman Conner

Batman Romita

I reported this hull damage elsewhere. I was too excited.

In for everything.

Top Bottom