• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the CW's Supergirl SDCC panel incident/bad taste comment

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So ridiculous idiot immature "shippers" (the dumbest shit i've ever seen crawl out of a fandom) flipped out so much about some stupid song and dance at SDCC that one of the actors of the actual show they profess to love soooooo much felt he had to apologize??/

Shit like this is the basis for people saying "yea those people are fucking crazy and weird" cause yea. That's fucking crazy and weird.

The big hubbub was about goddamn shipping?

Shippers need shut the fuck up, sit down, and realize their ships are trash until canon proves otherwise.

All of this pointless drama over a harmless joke, geez.

Shippers and CW shippers in particular are some of the worst examples of fandom extremisms where shit can get real nasty real quick.

I remember the fallout over The 100 when a gay character died and that shit made mainstream news because fans were accusing the showrunner of homophobia.

Reminds me of that time when some shippers started a petition to have an actress deported. I think it may have even been a UPN/WB show but I can't remember the name.

Beth Cyra

I now know what a shipper is.

Olicity happened because of shippers then?
No it would be because the writers made a choice and couldn't turn that choice into a compelling narrative.

Let's not forget Shippers happen for canon pairings too and 99% of the time shippers are the biggest fans who want the show to do well and do not get angry their ship doesn't become canon.

Fan works are more then good for the vast majority of Shippers and we don't want canon compromised for our ship.

Sapiens

Jesus. Get a life /shatner.

I wonder if the fans realize that the stars of their favourite shows are the cool kids they despised in high school whom are being paid to be nice and answer questions. This was the cool kids making fun of them because you can only take so much fan insanity.

Bad taste? Its a joke, and none of these people should have to keep their mouth shut when it comes to a harmless joke about a set of characters because some fans believe in a relationship of characters thats not there. Its ridiculous. Honestly laughable. Like really? Calm down, its just a show.

ZeroX03

Banned
Shippers are crazy, that's nothing new

That said, Kara and Lena have bonkers chemistry, way more than any other couple in the show

hirokazu

So... is OP a shipper? I read it thinking ”OMG what is this terrible thing they did at SDCC?" and it turns out it was just something they did for fun that isn't offensive at all.

I usually hate the term, but if there's ever a more befitting use of "precious snowflakes," it's this. And the responses to the actor is so nasty too! Awful.

J_Viper

incident/bad taste comment

IMG_0912.jpg

Replicant

Shipping culture is horrible and drags down all of the CW shows. That said, the producers knew exactly what they were doing with Lena:

supergirl-kara-lena-supercorp-ship.jpg

I kind of disagree. A lot of it is also because most people, the fans especially, got toxic idea of male/male and female/female relationship. As in, we as society have been taught that two men and two female can't be that intimate/caring for each other unless they want to bang each other. Which in reality is not true at all. Women do often literally offer hugs/shoulder to lean on for their close female friends. It's not a big deal. Similarly, this is the reason why men are so afraid of physical touch with another men. Because they are afraid it'll be misinterpret as sexual interest. When it shouldn't be like that.

bastardly

What the fuck? I didn't think I see a dumber thread than the 'Thor 3/Stop Making fun of Poor People!' thread this week, but I was wrong. Some people seriously need to readjust their priorities.

netguy503

I kind of disagree. A lot of it is also because most people, the fans especially, got toxic idea of male/male and female/female relationship. As in, we as society have been taught that two men and two female can't be that intimate/caring for each other unless they want to bang each other. Which in reality is not true at all. Women do often literally offer hugs/shoulder to lean on for their close female friends. It's not a big deal. Similarly, this is the reason why men are so afraid of physical touch with another men. Because they are afraid it'll be misinterpret as sexual interest. When it shouldn't be like that.

Yea, I always questioned that thought that weird in our society. Also girls often use the term "oh I'm hanging out with my girl friends today" but if a guy ever said that and swapped genders OH NO!

LOL sometimes social norms and the rules society puts on us are weird.

Top Bottom